• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Lol i never even know people momentum cancelled with the C-stick
Control stick down, c-stick up to fastfall the uair.... then Skull Bash. You wouldn't know about it since UR2PRO for the c-stick. :mad:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh, i thought its easier to do it with A since most of the time you DI up so then you can upair right then, then fastfall and skull bash (which isn't difficult really)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh, i thought its easier to do it with A since most of the time you DI up so then you can upair right then, then fastfall and skull bash (which isn't difficult really)
You fastfall while you uair, not afterwards.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well in my case i would do it while the uair is going on yeah, but not simultaneously. I get what you mean.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have a question about the CG lets say I grab falco on like 30 can I CG him ? If I can do I still need to do the fthrow?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You would D-throw, but we didn't test every % of when you can start it, so he might be able to get out at that %...

Xi_Athletics_ix

Smash Rookie
just re-grab, thats how you buffer the grabs for chain grabs, but you can also buffer other things, like rolls or smashes, and stuff, but just the grab for the chain
So i would grab, then just dthrow? then after the throw repeat, nothing in the middle?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
how long does it take to start getting the hang of QAC and how long each day should i practice it?

gallax

Smash Hero
practice until your hand starts to bleed.

actually once you can qac like 15 times in a row without messing up (going back and forth) you should be fine.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
practice until your hand starts to bleed.

actually once you can qac like 15 times in a row without messing up (going back and forth) you should be fine.
No, I think the first answer you gave was the right one. :lick:

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
its really alot easier if you have tap jump on - you can just hold up after you QAC into the ground, which will buffer a jump, and then you can get the timing down on pressing up b (since you're already holding up) to vary the distance at which you QAC, just something to try :]

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
its really alot easier if you have tap jump on - you can just hold up after you QAC into the ground, which will buffer a jump, and then you can get the timing down on pressing up b (since you're already holding up) to vary the distance at which you QAC, just something to try :]
I do play with tap jump on. Whenever I hold up I QAC into the air.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
well you jump automatically right? like you jump and press up +b into the ground, but if you hold up afterward, then you buffer the jump, so if you just repeat the process of pressing up+b into the ground when in the air, then moving the control stick back to up, it just repeats itself. once you get good with straight up and down, then you can practice with angles

I was working with Kupo on a QAC practice stage, and the one i have kinda sucks, but basically, good practice for me for this, is to go to Pictochat for infinite time and just try to QAC onto and off of the platforms and random things that get drawn, especially the one with all of the little platforms everywhere, that one's really good!

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
I was just brawling my friends Diddy Kong, and I QAC'd into the stage and didn't DJ, but did a Nair. What surprises me is that the Nair actually hit and did damage. The timing seems very hard, but could this actually end up a surprise attack or a mindgame that is actually legit?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I was just brawling my friends Diddy Kong, and I QAC'd into the stage and didn't DJ, but did a Nair. What surprises me is that the Nair actually hit and did damage. The timing seems very hard, but could this actually end up a surprise attack or a mindgame that is actually legit?
Que?!?

Are you sure it wasn't a rising nair, and you just didn't.... notice you jumped? I'm pretty sure we've tested, and nair's hitbox doesn't come out if you don't jump first.

Vid would be nice, if you have the replay.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
Que?!?

Are you sure it wasn't a rising nair, and you just didn't.... notice you jumped? I'm pretty sure we've tested, and nair's hitbox doesn't come out if you don't jump first.

Vid would be nice, if you have the replay.

I don't think it was a rising nair, considering as soon as Diddy Kong was hit away, I was in landing lag. It was on Castle Seige, so I guess it's possible I just rising nair'd during the stage changing and got on the ground really quickly, or something. But it was really weird, it seemed like it hit while the QA hit, as if the QA had much stronger knockback, but it didn't seem like it.

Sorry, I couldn't get the replay because it was over 3 minutes (of course >.>)
I'll try to see if I can recreate it, though.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
You can't? I'm almost positive I've done it....In fact at first that's how I THOUGHT you did it but then I noticed it didn't work all the time. Then again I picked up Pika in like....October. I don't really remember stuff from that long ago all that well.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So i used Pika in doubles this weekend, and i had trouble killing. The Metaknight was at 130%, i just didnt know what to do.

I tried fast falling a f-air to a up smash but he was able to shield the end of the forward air. I tried Thunder, nair, nothing seemed to work.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't find killing with Pikachu to be too hard. If you don't stale nair, it is one of Pika's best kill moves. Also, I don't know about you, but I don't find it too hard to kill with Thunder. If you haven't already, go to the Pikachu guide by KayLo and look at the common Thunder kill setups. This is mainly either Utilt > Thunder, or Usmash > Thunder, but they both work well. A fresh Dsmash can also kill at high percents, if your opponent is hit by the last shock.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Eeee.... Stealth wrote the section on KOing, not me, hehe.

But yes, killing with Pika is discussed in the Generating A Win guide. You should check out the Getting the Kill section for the most complete information, but setups are also discussed in the combo section. They're listed as follows:

FF Fair > Usmash
FF Fair > Rising Nair
Utilt > Thunder
Usmash > Thunder
Uair > Nair
QAC > Uair (optional) > Nair

Out of those, I'd say the most reliable are utilt > thunder and FF fair > nair. Nair out of shield also works really well, as do punishing landings with fsmash and dash-canceled usmashes after the opponent whiffs a laggy move at mid-range.

Off-stage, dair and nair both work well, although dair won't kill until reasonably higher percentages.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
What I do to kill is while being juggled, time a thunder right and so they possibly get hit by the thunder and die... It usually only works once or twice in a set, though.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
What I do to kill is while being juggled, time a thunder right and so they possibly get hit by the thunder and die... It usually only works once or twice a set, though.
Heh. Thundering people who like to DI into you is fun..... :lick:

delicious!

Smash Rookie
hey guys so i am an avid pikachu player and my roommate always plays his falco against me. i can read him very easily but have trouble punishing his downair approaches and his smashes. Even if i know he is going to smash and put up a shield or spotdodge, i am pushed to far back to do anything effective, or when i try to counterattack (even with ftilt) his shield will go up fast enough.

and i think the most important question i have is what options do i have against him after a ff fair? sometimes, even if he gets hit he is able to grab me before i can utilt or even after the first hit of my downsmash :(

sos please help me i hate falco soooo much

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ I have this same problem, with the forward air. It seems i get grabbed before i can follow with anything else, or they shield and i cannot follow up with anything else.

But i guess with Falco, just chain grab?

Also to any Pika player that might have the answer to this question.

To perform the new Chaingrab's on Meta, Falco, DDD etc pressing Z or the grab button has to be lightly pressed, am i right?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I see, thats probably why it wasn't working against my friend. I got it the first 2 times then he was able to footstool me.

Ill have to remember that, thanks.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
How should I be playing against a Lucas?

A friend came over today and we played for an hour and a half or so, my Pikachu versus his Lucas. Now Lucas isn't even his main (Pit is), but he was 3-stocking me left and right. I don't have any replays to put up because I have not been able to find a place online that tells me how to do the "extended replays" hack, and the matches under 3 minutes were just terrible.

I can beat his Pit, but I was having so much trouble against his Lucas. Not only does the projectile absorber shield ruin my ability to Tjolt and Thunder, but everything else about Lucas seems broken to me. Fsmash comes out ridiculously quick, Usmash has a ridiculous hitbox, and all of his smashes have ridiculous power. PK Fire is an annoying projectile to have to play around, and PK Thunder ruins my game from far away (not to mention that it can stage spike me while I'm grabbing the ledge!). He has a large grab range, throws insanely far... I could go on.

There are also no videos online of Pikachu vs Lucas to base my play off of. Help?

Top Bottom