• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
the way i do it is have sound on, then go against a cpu falco, f-throw twice, and then start d-throwing...and if you're doing it right, you won't hear the sound pika makes when he re-grabs, the click or whatever, if you buffer it, its silent, and all you should hear is the d-throw of them hitting the ground...basically, the timing is for me right after he slams them on the ground, as they are coming back up from the bounce

edit: jmex: yeah if you just hold back after dtilt, it will make you walk in the opposite direction pretty good distance. but you can also use it to dtilt one direction and say, fsmash the opposite direction, it will scoot you backwards which can be spacing mindgames
The silent dthrow is when you buffer the dthrow. You don't need to buffer the dthrow, just the grab. The timing for buffering a grab is right when Pika is about to touch the ground after slamming the opponent on the ground.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The silent dthrow is when you buffer the dthrow. You don't need to buffer the dthrow, just the grab. The timing for buffering a grab is right when Pika is about to touch the ground after slamming the opponent on the ground.
QFT. For misunderstanding when prime says "touch the ground after slamming he opponent on the ground" it means that the opponent is no longer in pikachu's hands (paws?) and he is landing on his feet, not his back like when the opponent takes the damage of the throw.

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
it means that the opponent is no longer in pikachu's hands (paws?) and he is landing on his feet, not his back like when the opponent takes the damage of the throw.
i actually do it not long after the part where he slams them into the ground lol
this is why im confused on the exact timing haha....
some say way early and others say way late o_o

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
esam, thats too difficult though!!!

also, against fox, while we can cg them really high, the timing is more strict at lower percents, so i was wondering does the cg (buffered) still work at mid percents? undiminished i mean...cuz i figure fthrows to get up some % then dthrow, if so.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
well he doesn't hang in the air for as long when he's lower on damage...so anyway even if the timing is the same, it looks different to me lol

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the grab, since it is buffered, has an 11 frame window. any input during this time perion will get the grab. you can easily practice on cpus, because the cgs are buffered, and hence will always have the same grab time afterwards, which means no matter when you actually buffer it, the grab comes out at that first instance. hence all you need is the timing and memorising the numbers. since the timing is independant of the opponents inputs, you can practice on cpus. basically if you grab before its over, and you grab immediately, you did it right. if you sheilded, you held it too long. if no grab came out you did it to early.

Apocaylpz0

Smash Rookie
Thunder Jolt

I was wondering if thunder jolt could be used as a parry move against most attacks just to switch it up instead of using shield dodging all the time. can anyone give me a list of what attacks thunder jolt can absorb?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You.... can, but a shield comes out in 1 frame. Thunder Jolt takes something like 17 frames to come out and has a lot more cooldown lag.

Sometimes if I know someone's coming up to attack me in the air, I'll tjolt in their face, but it requires some prediction..... you have to know that you'll have enough time for the jolt to come out.

There's a list of how tjolt behaves vs. other projectiles in the Generating A Win guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225527
Look under "Move Analysis" and go to the section about Thunder Jolt. As for regular attacks, tjolt clanks with or gets eaten by a majority of hitboxes. It has pretty low priority.

gallax

Smash Hero
yep for that. prime is sMarT!!!! that vid of anther killing samurai panda is good, but i want one of total domination.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Im having trouble doing using both of my zips from the up b across the stage.

Whats the proper way to do this?

I can go left/right on the first one but then i cant get the second one to come out again.

I can only jump up or diagonal right/left.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
or try slight up angle as the first one then straight right or left for the second one, that works too

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Cool, ill try both methods.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
No, the last QA always has to be angled into the ground, or the lag is significantly greater with or without canceling it.

gallax

Smash Hero
its kinda like in melee wheer you have to tilt your control stick to wavedash. im talking about the second part thats angled into the ground.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
so whats the way to not fastfall a dair if you're already in the air? i can do it from the ground in a short hop and stuff, but i can't figure it out if i'm falling/floating...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You have to do it either slight (ilke if you are up-tilting on the ground with tap jump on) or change your c-stick to attack.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
What button do you guys use to do the buffered grab? :O

I'm thinking of Y grabbing.

Yes, I haven't practiced them yet >_>

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
What button do you guys use to do the buffered grab? :O

I'm thinking of Y grabbing.

Yes, I haven't practiced them yet >_>
Everything would be the same except changing the C-stick. You will still have to tap and let go in that 10 frame window, so its the same as Z, x, y, l, r, or any other button.

Top Bottom