• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
how come sometimes when i quick attack cancel into a thunder jolt i don't have any lag from the QAC after i land after the thunder jolt

i could have worded that a lot better

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
ok like

QAC -> tjolt

i land with no landing lag

where normally i would have a ton of lag from the QAC

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
The whole idea of QAC is to not have landing lag. Did you jump after the QAC and tjolt or tjolt directly after landing on the ground from the QAC? You can perform some moves after QAC that have no lag even if you don't jump. For instance, you can QAC > dair without a jump in between. I've experienced the same thing with tjolts.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
no. you always get the lag. tjolt cancels the lag however, something that i have known about for a while, VERY useful to know
my tjolts only cancel the lag like 1/4 of the time and i'm trying to figure out what makes it cancel only sometimes?

i feel like i'm missing something really obvious and important

i quick attack across the ground once, jump, tjolt in the air, and i land after tjolt is over, and i sometimes get lag and sometimes i don't

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
It depends on what lag we are talking about. I'm talking about the lag between the QAC and the move being performed.

EDIT: Okay, I'm too lost to continue. I'll let Stealth and Bigman take care of it.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
ACK i figured it out

ok apparently I have to thunder jolt not immediately after i QAC but right before the apex of the double jump

ok i got it sorry for confusing everyone

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
um i tjolt as soon as i jump and it cancels. i can do this 100% of the time, and its actually a big part of my recovery game, qac onto stage with reverse tjolt, then punish. i think the tjolt must be over by the time you land, other then that im not sure what you are talking about. i also tested with just the first part, and a double qac. also doing it multiple times before the tjolt, no difference.

i can make a demonstration vid if i have to O.o

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
you have to tjolt like, really really immediately after you QAC, then you'll have lag.

it's weird.

no need to make a vid, i figured it out

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if you buffer it and tjolt immediately you will get lag. just wait a couple frames, and you wont. ive honestly done the no lag tjolt for months, and i have never noticed that if you do it to fast you get lag. so weeeeeeird. now i wonder why?

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i was getting frustrated because i couldn't figure out why i was getting lag

so i tried doing it faster because faster = less lag right

that's why i was sooo confused XD

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
now you pikachus know what the pt board has to deal with sometimes........................................................................................................................................

dot dot dot

this was almost my 2500th post

close call

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
now you pikachus know what the pt board has to deal with sometimes........................................................................................................................................

dot dot dot

thank god this wasn't my 2500th post, too close of a call man
that convoluted question i asked was my 2000th post

true story

Frio

Smash Champion
So guys I need a little help >_>

Lately, I've been having trouble on getting tips against Ness (especially due to the fact that the Pika boards don't have a thread on it :/). The Ness' I typically VS have a few patterns:

1. They like to Up B spam, when I'm a long distance away.
2. They use F air a lot (close range).
3. When I get into the higher %'s they typically just try to back throw me off the stage.
4. In the middle range area they will use Pika fire and if it hits F smash me or go for a throw (depending on the %.
5. They will also occasionally auto cancel D airs as a defence kind of thing, meaning they move forward, use D air, move back, auto cancel.

Advice would be really helpful.

Frio

Smash Champion
we actually do have a thread on it. if you go under CHARACTER MATCHUPS(which actually makes sense to look under) and go to NESS you will see a link. wow, we actually do have a link. he it is if you cant find it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...96#post6958996
the link is broken, but I think I know what you mean. However, the adivce is all filled in with ? marks. In the thread though I found ESAMS advice helpful but they were still dissussing the matchup

bigman40

Smash Master
Anyone know about canceling a Ledge-hopped Fair to walking? Not where the moves completely finishes. I canceled it before Pika pulled the hitbox out completely. I have the vid if I need to upload it.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
That's just auto canceling but the frames are at the start of the aerial. Other characters have this too, like DK's fair I think.

Xi_Athletics_ix

Smash Rookie
I'm still having trouble with those kill set-ups. Any suggestions to learn before those? Something I could practice before moving to those?

I should have a video posted this weekend so I can ask nicely for some help on not sucking >.>

Kenrawr

Smash Master
a great kill setup is to ff fair behind them and then utilt>thunder for the win!!!!!!!!

P.S. oos nair needs no setup
But don't get used to it.

Because it won't happen that often.

~Hey Pikas, I've been feeling lulzy lately and I've been trying to jab/QA lock people.

Can I has set-up ideas?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
~Hey Pikas, I've been feeling lulzy lately and I've been trying to jab/QA lock people.

Can I has set-up ideas?
Unless you have a wall/ceiling to work with or can set up a footstool (see: ESAM's footstool combo), it's probably not gonna happen. People fail to tech out of fthrow sometimes, but at higher percentages, they'll be too far away to get there in time.... and it only happens rarely anyway.

EDIT: You can try tech chasing into it out of dsmash? Still probably not gonna happen, though, lol.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
try my jab lock vid, i have a few, if hard to setup setups. also if they are sheilding on a platforn near an edge, you can hit them, and if they fall off and dont jump, they will land on the ground and can be locked. uair works well.

Koala

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I was talking about momentum cancel. I guess I can try the different aerials for myself and see what I find.

Top Bottom