• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah. All you have to do is get the timing. Once you get that, you can do it with tap jump on/off, with x/y, or any way you like. You just have to get the timing down...i can't really say much other than that.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Is pikachu a real snake counter? And also does he take alot of effort as a char? I wouldn't want a secondary that takes too much focus because then my diddy will slack. I.E. me using DDD endlessly wouldn't have any effect on my diddy because he doesn't have much depth.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Is pikachu a real snake counter? And also does he take alot of effort as a char? I wouldn't want a secondary that takes too much focus because then my diddy will slack. I.E. me using DDD endlessly wouldn't have any effect on my diddy because he doesn't have much depth.
Pikachu goes even with Snake..... some people say the favor is slightly one way or the other (usually in Pika's favor). He's definitely not a counter, though.

To your second question, Pika's not easy to pick up. You can get the basics down pretty easily and do okay with him without much effort, but imo, if you want to do well with Pika, you need to devote some time to him. His learning curve isn't as high as Diddy's or ZSS's or Snake's, but he has a lot of random tricks and tools unique to his character that are really useful. Also, his basic weaknesses (approaching, predictable kill moves, lack of range) take some time to understand and work around.

Of course, it also depends on you and how easily you pick up new characters. Some people are just quick like that.

IxxI

Smash Fence
When I use a FF FAir and combo it into different things, I find myself at a habit of using DSmash or UTilt afterward.
What are some other good mix ups to prevent this habit?
I've tried NAirs and grabs, but they don't seem as effective.

Also, does each "hit" on the DSmash count as one hit allowing you to refresh your moves, or does it all count as one hit?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Nair and uair are good options. THey both come out in 7 frames, like u-tilt. THe uair can also lead into the uair-footstool-qa combo so it is preferred.

Also, the D-smash counts as 1 refresh move, even though there are multiple hits. All multi-hit attacks are like that. Jab is the best move to refresh your moves with.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, a lot of people overlook ftilt.... an up-angled one is a good KO followup at really high percentages if your nair is stale.

Dtilt followups can lead to tech chases sometimes. (People seem to.... not tech dtilt properly a lot. x.x)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*late*

In what respects gallax? o.O
Yeah, not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I'm trying to pick up Marth right now (it's coming along..... very, very, very slowly), and to me it feels nothing like Pikachu.

Granted, I've always played Pika, so I never really "picked him up" from scratch, but still. They don't really feel similar at all besides being fast and light.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Oh, I've been doing all those mix ups all along.
I guess I need to incorporate them a lot more though.
Thanks guys!

Van Jones

Smash Lord
lol. The learning curve for Pika is much higher than Marth's. Of course, there is a lot of work that has to be put into both before you can do well at a tourney, but Pika requires more time to learn how to correctly use all of his moves and setups.

gallax

Smash Hero
pika is higher yes. but the thing with marth is learning how to space properly. the key being properly. anyone can fair but learning how to poke shields and using shieldbreaker is a marth must and thing that tatkes time to develope. spacing can be a tough thing with marth, especially when thats his while game.

pika does have a higher curve which is why i said similar.

after that whole speel, who do you think has about the same learning curve as pika?

my answer: wario

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Lol, learning how to space properly is probably the easiest thing to learn how to do. Especially with Marth. What is hard about Marth is learning which moves apply where since most of his moves are unsafe to use.

As for Wario, I agree. He has a very steep learning curve.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I think pikachus learning curve is less than warios. Wario you have to learn to maneuver in a completely different way. If pikachu had more aerial mobility than yeah, maybe, but wario is an incredibly indirect character. Pikachu has his tricks, but is much more straightforward than wario.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Learning Marth isn't that HARD. But it's hard to do well with him. You can basically play right after picking him up. But MU experience and little tricks like SH SideB stall to fair and the first hit of fair FFallen can combo into Utilt.

You know who's learning curve pisses me off? Ice Climbers. I just started them today and it's ****ing HARD. Also **** Samus. T_T

IxxI

Smash Fence
I usually approach with:
-SH FAir's
-DJ FF FAir's
-SHFF FAir's
-Lagless SH DAir's
-TJ's

Everything is mixed up by retreating, landing behind, or following up.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, since Pikachu is also about baiting and punishing, what are somethings that you guys do?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I usually approach with:
-SH FAir's
-DJ FF FAir's
-SHFF FAir's
-Lagless SH DAir's
-TJ's

Everything is mixed up by retreating, landing behind, or following up.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, since Pikachu is also about baiting and punishing, what are somethings that you guys do?
Empty short hops are amazing. :) Or just running up and shielding. QAC is good for baiting as well.... even if they shield, you can hit them out of their shield drop frames.

Also, surprisingly, walking away can make a lot of people chase you, lol.

All baiting is situational, though, and based on reading your opponent and identifying what their habits are.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I forgot about empty short hops.
:p

I usually walk away and FSmash if they chase, or if I am dashing pivot grab.

QAC makes me maaaad online.
I can barely do it offline.
=[

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Running up and shielding isn't the best option against somebody who is as smart as you. They will realize and just grab you...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Running up and shielding isn't the best option against somebody who is as smart as you. They will realize and just grab you...
esam is right, this only works on people who think you are overly aggressive, and once you sheild a couple times they will start grabbing
Okay, nobody said do it multiple times in a row. He was asking for other options.

KayLo! said:
All baiting is situational, though, and based on reading your opponent and identifying what their habits are.
:)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
noone said we had to do it multiple times in a row. we just........... did it :D
....What?

Anyway, my point is that running up and shielding, like all baiting, is never going to work if you do it predictably. However, some people (like Marths) have a habit of trying to cut off Pika's approaches by outranging him with long, disjointed hitboxes. In cases like this, running up and sliding in with your shield can get you a free grab every once in a while.

Obviously if you try it more than once or twice, they'll just predict and grab you. But that goes for any baiting trick.... if you do it too often, it'll get countered, because nothing is 100% safe. Other things might be generally safer than running > shield, but it's still a viable baiting tool if you're trying to mix it up.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Are there any grab release combos that Pikachu has on characters?

Also, has anyone ever tried comboing with the weak hit of the NAir?
I usually treat it as though it's a UAir that knocks them diagnolly.
Is there anything on the weak of of the NAir?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pikachu can grab release to jab on everyone but DK and thats it.

When is it useful?? grab them near ledge but they won't be released over the ledge, then you jab them over it...

I do weak nair > fair a lot, but i never intentional ever go for weak nair...

IxxI

Smash Fence
What about air grab releases?

That's what I usually do with weak NAir, but I was just wondering if that topic's been discussed.
I'm just asking because Captain Falcon's use the weak hit of their FAir a lot.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Okay, I'll grab release at the edge then so I can refresh my moves.
...Unless you can shield in the air.

Don't worry, I love noobs ^_^ Besides, the noobs are the ones who will eventually surpass the pros, unless that pro is Captain Falcon.
What are you talking about?
Captain Falcon is beyond pro?

Zeus.

Smash Rookie
I was looking at the Secondary Thread on here because I was trying to see who to pick up to compliment my pikachu. I am thinking about Donkey Kong because I think I might be able to do so.

So my question--Is DK still a good secondary for Pikachu? I wasn't sure how long ago the discussion was and if anything had changed since then. Thanks!

Top Bottom