• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
because commonly players will see a spotdodge and try to punish with a smash, if they start the smash like halfway through the spotdodge it's usually enough time for the opponent to powersheild by the time the hitbox comes out, i see it happen a lot. it depends on the characters/move, but I could be spouting incorrect frame work.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
every spotdodge has at least one from of true cooldown with no IF's, if you time it right it will hit regardless if they hold sheild. if they psheild it means you held too long. ddd is somewhat of an exception due to his 3D movement of his body out of the plane so he cant be hit anyways, but even then 3D moves like our dsmash will reach out and grab him. i dont know of any other char like ddd that has this 3D motion that actually effects them getting hit during a spotdodge

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i dont know of any other char like ddd that has this 3D motion that actually effects them getting hit during a spotdodge
A good number of characters do, but DDD and ROB are more noticeably invulnerable since their spotdodges are ridiculously good anyway. The same goes for airdodges and a lot of rotational moves. (Ex: Wario has partial invulnerability during his nair.)

Depending on the character's animation, the 2D/3D thing can affect all or just part of their body..... like with Luigi's spotdodge, his upper body is invincible slightly longer than his lower half since he kinda Matrix-bends to the side -- whereas Pikachu moves pretty much his entire body all at once.

Man, I just wrote way too much about spotdodges. -_-

You aren't that cool Kaylo! ;)
>=(

Guys, if ESAM mysteriously disappears....... I swear it wasn't me.

dawwwww look at little esam try to cover his tracks. but i think kaylo has a point over you :p
:p

PZ

Smash Lord
When is the re-dicussion summeries are going to be finish I wanna be ready in case of meeting online players using them.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I've finally gotten to the point that I can consistently (though not yet perfectly) buffer the dthrow chaingrab (I still have to concentrate on the timing, I can't yet autopilot it). The fthrow, however, I can't quite seem to figure out.

At what part of the fthrow animation can I buffer the dash? A picture of the first frame I can buffer it would help immensely.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
When is the re-dicussion summeries are going to be finish I wanna be ready in case of meeting online players using them.
When I stop being lazy. ;; I've had them in mind, just haven't actually done them yet. I'll try to get through them by the end of next week.

At what part of the fthrow animation can I buffer the dash? A picture of the first frame I can buffer it would help immensely.
Uh. The last 10 frames, lol...... that's the only help I can really give you.

Just practice, it's not too hard to get by doing it over and over. I guess it's right around when Pika throws them off his back. Try tapping the dash input right as they're launched forward.

PZ

Smash Lord
I've finally gotten to the point that I can consistently (though not yet perfectly) buffer the dthrow chaingrab (I still have to concentrate on the timing, I can't yet autopilot it). The fthrow, however, I can't quite seem to figure out.

Practice buffering the cg on snake that helped me.

When I stop being lazy. ;; I've had them in mind, just haven't actually done them yet. I'll try to get through them by the end of next week.

Ok I can wait I just need this info up cuz when I go to california I may not have internet but if I doo ill be online ill probably lag with any1 at the pika boards though lulz but there be people I can brawl regardless of lag or not.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For the F-throw, it is after you push them off and when you see pikachu's hind legs going back to the floor. Autopilot CGs is fun :D I love looking at controllers for DI.

Chain

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering what all of your opinions on the top 3 chain grabbers in brawl are?

Of course ICs are #1 but what are the other 2? Actually lets make it top 5 best chain grabbers.

Hope to see some post pretty soon ;)

PZ

Smash Lord
I was just wondering what all of your opinions on the top 3 chain grabbers in brawl are?

Of course ICs are #1 but what are the other 2? Actually lets make it top 5 best chain grabbers.

Hope to see some post pretty soon ;)
Ics, DDD, falco, pikachu, and uh...........not sure for the last 1.

Chain

Smash Rookie
...Yoshi?!? Never heard of him cging but then again ive ever tried it but i would still think that warios is better. Oh and for DDD do i Dthrow and then dash then grab again and thats all? Like is DDDs cg game just like falcos?

Oh and for pika do i just Fthrow and thats it?

Btw thanks for the quick post :)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
IC
D3
Pikachu
Falco
Bowser

D3 is mostly running grabs. Sometimes you have to dash shield grab since D3's standing grab is longer. Pikachu is F-throw or buffer D-throw depending on the character, and the list is somewhere on the pikachu boards. Falco is either walk or run with D-throws. Bowser is grab release.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
For the F-throw, it is after you push them off and when you see pikachu's hind legs going back to the floor. Autopilot CGs is fun :D I love looking at controllers for DI.
Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for, and now I think I've pretty much got it. Thanks.

Still gonna be a while before I can watch my opponent's controller rather than the screen, though.

PZ

Smash Lord
IC
DDD
Falco
Pika
Yoshi

~Mieu
IC
D3
Pikachu
Falco
Bowser

D3 is mostly running grabs. Sometimes you have to dash shield grab since D3's standing grab is longer. Pikachu is F-throw or buffer D-throw depending on the character, and the list is somewhere on the pikachu boards. Falco is either walk or run with D-throws. Bowser is grab release.
I didnt want to count bowser and yoshi cuz they are grab release I wouldve counted wario but im still studying his cg but I only see it works on falco, falcon, and ganon but those are the only 1s ive actually tested on just check the wario boards they should have it somewhere.

J4pu

Smash Champion
IC
D3
Pikachu
Falco
Bowser

yes, listen to this man
Falco's CG is garbage, garbage I tell you
please don't start showing up at the Falco boards, it's annoying enough you're here and at IC's

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
(wants to raid the falco boards)

But yeah, chain GRAB doesn't mean that you have to throw in between. Chain GRAB means that you get multiple inescapable grabs. That makes grab release > Regrab a chaingrab.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I thought those were called grab releases lol

Anywho's I think chaingrab list is

1)IC's
2)DDD
3)Falco
4)Pikachu

Because of how much of the cast their chaingrab affects

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
hi my boyfriend uses Pikachu sometimes. I want to know is their anyway to avoid pikachu's f-air to grab? I use mostly Lucas when he plays Pikachu, I think I stopped him from doing it once by using f-tilt but I don't know if it was because he messed it up. He told me it's "guarenteed." Is this really true because its kinda annoying lol. Anyway to get around it? Thanks in advance.

altairian

Smash Lord
If you shield the fair:
Shieldgrab (not sure if Lucas' grab is fast enough)
Spotdodge as he lands
Lucas' jab should be fast enough OOS to hit him. You can try nair OOS as well.

If you don't shield the fair:
SDI up and jump away

You have quite a few options as long as you shield the fair. Landing in front of someone out of fair is a pretty big no-no for pikachu, start punishing him for it! :D

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
What alt said, although I'm gonna throw in that if you don't SDI out of fair, the grab is 100% guaranteed. And tbh, as long as he's not landing more than ~2 hits of fair, you probably won't be jumping out. Just shield it, and it's easily punishable on block.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
okay thanks you two. I'll try that next time I play with him. :)

M15t3R E

Smash Master

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Marth is pretty hard (Pika's worst imo), but it's doable if you have your pshield game down. You just have to know what you're doing and play very smart -- which goes for any matchup, but more so for a rough one like this.

It's not so impossible that it requires a secondary, but if you already have one that has a better MU vs. him, I'd say go with that.

altairian

Smash Lord
When playing Pika against Marth, should I just pick another character or actually try playing that match-up?

T__T
If you're just looking to win the matchup, I'd say going MK is going to be a far superior choice to working your *** off on the MU with pika. I've beaten a good marth with my MK that I've put like 4 hours of work in to, and I don't think I've ever beaten a marth with pika. The MU is pretty awful. It's probably the only one that I'd really say to just pick a different character, the other hard matchups can actually be fun, but marth.... ><

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It really isn't that bad. If you watch the player and adapt to their habits pikachu can pick up on those and **** them pretty hard. If you can't predict the player, you are in a bad position though.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
anyone got links to shutter stepping or movement ATs for pika?

which glide toss is the best for pika? whats the timing on it?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You mean stutter stepping?

In any case, stutter stepping and glide tossing are both covered in the guide:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225527

Look under the ATs section..... stutter stepping's under Minor Techs, and glide tossing has its own subsection.

A note on stutter stepping: you can do it with the c-stick instead of the A button if you want. But using the A button gives you the option to charge your fsmash.

EDIT:

Primezilla said:
You can still charge c-stick smashes if you hold Z while using the c-stick
Prime to the rescue, as usual!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Learn something new everyday!

Also, @Dark: there's a section called "Advanced Movement Techniques" in the guide, but it's pretty outdated/lackluster now that I look at it again. Might wanna check it out anyway, though.

Top Bottom