• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Question! How do you deal with Ness's godly fair??? I actually came to the conclusion about SHAD was a good idea since his bair is nothing like his fair, but then again it might not work. This ness's spacing is good to the point that he can come right in and fair me and when I try to shieldgrab him he goes right into jabs or dtilts>fsmash. Any ideas?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh yeah pika, Ness' F-Air is a powerful spacing tool (even though it's damage output is weak); however, we still have our infamous OoS play (SH D-Air/F-Air OoS after Ness' F-Air hits) and spotdodge (lame tactic, but so effective), plus D-Tilt zoning (Spaced F-Smash if needed, but it won't KO as well due to staleness). Well, Ookami, it's mainly an increase to our already crazy mobility :3

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Obvious stuff, honestly, haha. Mostly its properties of giving you your double jump back on the smashville platform as well as catching people off guard with edge gaurds

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
The hell am I reading ?

Also, how is Pikachu supposed to deal with Diddykong's Nado lasers ?

Edit:

Diddykong, Nado and Lasers
In an FFA ?

Angiance

Smash Lord
PS the lasers, we have speed also, so camping isn't that effective on us; against Diddy Kong those bananas HAVE to be under control, that's pretty much the whole MU; against Mach Tornado, any attack from the top'll stop it, elsewise just shield it and react. Questions?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
EVERYTHING. YOSHI EGGS ME ALL THE TIME, COMES UP FOR 3 UAIRS TO STAR KO ME, HE SPIKES ME IF I GO TOO LOW OFSTAGE AND EGGS ME IF I'M HIGH. Literally, dash attack>jabs should be a true combo for Yoshi because he always gets it on me. The jabs are the biggest problem. When I get near yoshi he jabs hit way to a dash grab or dash attack followed with more jabs. And I'll wifi brawl you angiance when you have time!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Egg Camping = Power Shield, and speed through; Yoshi's Jab = Shield > SH D-Air/F-Air; Yoshi dashing at us = Stutter Step F-SMASH, F-Tilt, Pivot Grab, SH D-Air, Retreating SH U-Air; against Yoshi's U-Air: Retreating F-Air, Retreating Thunder fast falled, Skullbash away for escaping, and be careful with airdodging (most players LOVE reading airdodges); against Yoshi's F-Air: Fastfall > QA back up, or sharply space fastfall U-Air to the tip to clip Yoshi, or airdodge (only if it's seen coming). How's your zoning? | @Pokemastr: QA Lock is done by...well...just look for it on YT

Reth92

Smash Cadet
well, I find crawling under lasers easier, except of coure for wolf's. Advices on how to practise the wario MU? Gluttony may be the only wario in my country but I'd like to be ready just in case :)

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
If you don't know any Warios, that makes it difficult, haha.
But Wario is about spacing. They go for a lot of empty short hops into grabs so be weary of fake outs. Make good use of grab release shenanigans and it's a free kill at higher percents with grab release u-smash. Space with f-smash, d-tilt, and really well spaced f-airs (I swear, wario grabs like dedede).

Angiance

Smash Lord
Our U-Tilt is actually really good for close combat, don't be afraid to use it on Wario. For F-Smash, zone with it, but don't space it much though (too slow, and it'll stale ALOT from a single use). SH D-Air is, like usual, a good move for going in on our opponent. D-Tilt > Shield is GREAT

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
How do I Quack lock ?
Dthrow>utilt>footstool>QA downright/downleft>Continuously QA in a downward diagonal angle towards your opponent then you can go into a jab lock somewhere within the mid percents. I actually had a hard time trying to QA lock, until I found the right inputs. You have to cancel out the second part of QA and only have the first that way you'll be starting a new QA everytime you QA. Inputs are simple just QA downward right or left to start it. Well I THINK that's how you do it, I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong, but hey I'm just trying to help. By the way Merry Christmas guys!

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Great explanation, Mr. Pikachu~ ^^ Jab lock starts around 60%
There are many ways to start the lock. I often go for SH u-air to foot stool, but there's also down throw run under u-air to footstool, u-tilt to footstool, and you can always chase a missed tech to get a good lock as well.
Merry chirstmas to you too, my friend! And to the rest of you as well!

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
By the way, back to wario, f-smash is a REALLY good spacing tool and I actually reccomend using it a lot in the match up. I've played and beat many warios in tournament because of f-smash, but that was never really the kill move. F-smash well spaced is a great tool against wario, stale or not. Save u-smash for the kill out of grab release, n-air works a well. When gimp opportunities arrive, go for it; wario's recovery isn't as great as it looks.

double post =I

Angiance

Smash Lord
But Ookamiiiii...it does SOOOO much damage if it's saved for a sweetspot read (21+%). Edit things into posts guys, NO DOUBLE POSTINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Haha, that may be the case, my friend, but a but good zoning with f-smash will lead up to that damage anyway. U-smash really does get the job done though. Either works though, honestly, so I'd much rather not debate about it.
Please don't make a huge thing out of the double posting. It need not be mentioned every time~

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I guess I'll start trying to QAC lock, but it's just that you have to be so percise with it just to make it work. Most of the time your opponent might just fall next to the ledge so even if you do speed towards your opponent you'll just QAC off the ledge which makes it useless.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Are you sure it's U-Tilt -> Footstool and not Uair -> footstool ?
Both work, though u-air to footstool is guaranteed.

I guess I'll start trying to QAC lock, but it's just that you have to be so percise with it just to make it work. Most of the time your opponent might just fall next to the ledge so even if you do speed towards your opponent you'll just QAC off the ledge which makes it useless.
After a while, it comes naturally. And you don't always have to go for the full lock, y'know? You can always just u-air, foot stool, one QA wake-up and then a move of your choice. F-smash is a good choice. If you do it correctly, you won't QA off any ledges, my friend, haha. Tech errors happen with everyone.

No, DEBATE TIME :3 Also, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but we can -supposedly- get into trouble for double posting.
I see, well, if you want to debate, we can keep it friendly at least, haha. What is your argument?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well it's actually just a question or two. When someone says "space with F-Smash" they mean spaced punishing, correct? Not just throwing out the move to make a wall like Marth with his ff~F-Air, cause F-Smash's too slow for just throwing out (it'll get punished)

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Well the definition of spacing I think was playing offensivly and defensivly. A lot of people say the definition can be explained in various ways, but one way that I'll esplain it is "attacking your opponent while having enough space that they cannot attack you"

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
It's actually somewhat like marth's f-air spacing, but not quite thrown out the same way. Spacing with f-smash means using it to keep yourself slightly out of their range of punish and keeping them at bay while also dealing damage. Sometimes you won't even hit it, but that's not what matters. The whole reason that Pikas space with f-smash is to avoid being punished by the enemy moves. You don't simply throw it out every second because if that was the case you're sure to be punished every single time.

And yeah, Mr. Pika, those are basics of spacing.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
It's actually somewhat like marth's f-air spacing, but not quite thrown out the same way. Spacing with f-smash means using it to keep yourself slightly out of their range of punish and keeping them at bay while also dealing damage. Sometimes you won't even hit it, but that's not what matters. The whole reason that Pikas space with f-smash is to avoid being punished by the enemy moves. You don't simply throw it out every second because if that was the case you're sure to be punished every single time.

And yeah, Mr. Pika, those are basics of spacing~

Angiance

Smash Lord
All of what y'all said's called "Counter Spacing." Now if it misses, the opponent can just dash > punish us since, even though the electric spear-like animation is still going, the actual hitbox is gone. We counter space with it, no empty spacing like Marth's F-Air...correct me if I'm off please...

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
All of what y'all said's called "Counter Spacing." Now if it misses, the opponent can just dash > punish us since, even though the electric spear-like animation is still going, the actual hitbox is gone. We counter space with it, no empty spacing like Marth's F-Air...correct me if I'm off please...
Counter spacing isn't a legitimate term, for one thing. It's spacing; that's it =o
And it seems that you're not realizing that the same can be done with any character and any attack, including Marth's f-air. Spacing isn't 100%. If you get hit, you didn't space well. Simple as that.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well wouldn't you agree that sub terms specify things; alot less confusing, no? Also, do any of y'all know of any visual hitbox data for our attacks? :)

Top Bottom