• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Bouse

Smash Ace
Hey, recently picked up Pika for some fun matches. While I'm still inaccurate with his QA, I was wondering is QAC onto the stage a viable recovery option?

Also, pretty much all I do is spam Dsmash as a combo breaker and Nair/Thunder/Fsmash for the KO. What aerials are best for damage build up and have decent enough priority?

Is there a recommended controller setup, tap jump on/off?

Before I go sifting through 90 minutes of video, any recommended combo videos?

Bouse

Smash Ace
Yeah, just had a convo with Bunny about the Pika. Apparently my Dsmash spam tactic isn't as smexy as I though it to be. I do love it's high hitbox though...

Zylar

Smash Ace
Hey, recently picked up Pika for some fun matches. While I'm still inaccurate with his QA, I was wondering is QAC onto the stage a viable recovery option?
It is, but you can't be predictable about it and it can depend on the matchup.

Also, pretty much all I do is spam Dsmash as a combo breaker and Nair/Thunder/Fsmash for the KO. What aerials are best for damage build up and have decent enough priority?
As I was once told "Replace Dsmash with utlt."
FF fairs are good for combos and bair has good priority which can mess up some aerial games.

There is no recommended setup, it really is up to whatever works better for you.

Anthers, lol
;p

Jedstwiilite

Smash Journeyman
Sure. I'll answer you.

I'm in High voltage because I passed all the necessary requirements needed to get into the clan.
Ixxi. You have no life. Go back to playing your top tier characters.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Sure. I'll answer you.

I'm in High voltage because I passed all the necessary requirements needed to get into the clan.
Ixxi. You have no life. Go back to playing your top tier characters.
LOL don't be mad cause you got 2 stocked by a scrub at the tourney.

Jedstwiilite

Smash Journeyman
I don't even know you. I've not even been in any tourneys. You randomly go onto the Pika boards and ask about a person you don't even know!!! Go away you stocker. Go back inside your box.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I don't even know you. I've not even been in any tourneys. You randomly go onto the Pika boards and ask about a person you don't even know!!! Go away you stocker. Go back inside your box.
LOL! Your name is John Edison Dava. Hence your name J-e-d-stwiilite. (Twiilite because of your love for twiilite princess.) You also complained to stealth raptor over me using a top tier character. When you have an advantage over Snake. In the tourney you spammed my R.O.B. the whole time and you still lost!

Jedstwiilite

Smash Journeyman
That's not even my real full name. Obvioulsy you've checked the High Volatage Clan chat searching for some answers. And I've only played Twilight princess halfway through the game. You do not know the real reason of my name, but I must admit it was a good try. And I've never even played you. You don't even have your story straight. You play Snake but yet you said I played your ROB?!?!?! Yeah...

IxxI

Smash Fence
That's not even my real full name. Obvioulsy you've checked the High Volatage Clan chat searching for some answers. And I've only played Twilight princess halfway through the game. You do not know the real reason of my name, but I must admit it was a good try. And I've never even played you. You don't even have your story straight. You play Snake but yet you said I played your ROB?!?!?! Yeah...
1. You've played me countless times. Remember?
Jeds-"First one to 100 wins!"
*IxxI leads 31-0"
Jeds-"I hate you..."

2. I play Snake, and I second R.O.B. You were there. You spammed in an attempt to win and failed. Afterward, you sat on the stairs complaining.

Jedstwiilite

Smash Journeyman
I've played you countless times? I told you already Jeds isn't my real name haha. i don't think I've ever been to "Epic" before so I don't know if was there. I didn't even know you seconded ROB until now. Your efforts to confuse me are futile.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I've played you countless times? I told you already Jeds isn't my real name haha. i don't think I've ever been to "Epic" before so I don't know if was there. I didn't even know you seconded ROB until now. Your efforts to confuse me are futile.
Jeds is your freakin' initials. I've known you since like 1st grade. And you've known I've seconded R.O.B. for a while. The only reason I play him is because you said I suck with him. I just wanted to prove you wrong. Maybe now i'll play pikachu just to make you mad. Because I know its degrading for you to lose to someone who doesn't even play pikachu.

Jedstwiilite

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I don't have 4 names. I only have 3, a first, middle, and last which you guessed wrong. I have nevet met you in real life. Are you confusing me with some other person? All I know is that you play Snake, and you randomly go on the Pika boards just to complain about me? Are you on drugs?

IxxI

Smash Fence
I'm sorry, I don't have 4 names. I only have 3, a first, middle, and last which you guessed wrong. I have nevet met you in real life. Are you confusing me with some other person? All I know is that you play Snake, and you randomly go on the Pika boards just to complain about me? Are you on drugs?
You know everything I've said is true. The question is, are you on drugs?

Jedstwiilite

Smash Journeyman
Good counter. Your running out of things to say now. Why don't you post another fake MSN conversation??? You were more believable then.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Umm... can this back-and-forth be taken to PMs, maybe? I think the Pika boards have had enough argu-spam lately.

I QAC onto the stage sometimes, especially if it's obvious that my opponent is expecting me to go straight for the ledge. If you can space it correctly and hit them from behind with an aerial, it's even sweeter. (I usually just do QAC > t-jolt, though, for safety.)

Dsmash is easily DI'd out of, so I'm sure you've learned that spamming it isn't very effective against good players. Adding onto what Zylar said, uair is a great combo-starter at low percentages if your opponent is already in the air. It's quick and chains into itself, then into n-air. When they're close to or on the ground, FF f-air to grab or utilt to start another combo.

And, yeah, what everyone else said to your last two questions: controller settings are personal preference, & watch Anther vids.

Edit: You might find SilverSpark's Pika combo thread helpful: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196602

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Olimar was covered in one of the matchup threads: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181840

Unless you've already read it, in which case, I can't help you.
Yea i already read it. Like i can get a couple edgeguard kills here and there. But oli's pressure game is so crazy. My normal t-jolt spam don't really work either. I got 2 stocked like 20 mins ago. lol. O well. Then again it could just be my lack of knowledge on the char cause before today i never really played against a olimar. O well i'll learn it!

Bouse

Smash Ace
Thank ya. I've already started working on some of this... and **** is Anther good...

Roxas215

Smash Lord
i will be playing our very good local oli today, ill see if i cant scrounge up a little more for you. what about olimar do you have trouble with?
Basically just trying to stop his pressure game. Oil kills on the ground and it's not like pika is crazy good in the air either. Any specific pika tricks against oli is helpful as well. Like i said i know nothing about approaching olimar. I also lost with my main diddy. But i lasted longer with pika then i did with diddy which is why im asking for help here rather then the diddy boards. Im about to go spam the oli boards lol.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Oh, and how useful is Pikachu's pivot boost?

I've been messing around with it in training mode and as far as I can tell it gives him decently extended range on his Fsmash and Ftilt, ntm looks crazy silly with Pikachu. Is it better to just walk the Fsmash and Ftilt or does pivot boosting help?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Oh, and how useful is Pikachu's pivot boost?

I've been messing around with it in training mode and as far as I can tell it gives him decently extended range on his Fsmash and Ftilt, ntm looks crazy silly with Pikachu. Is it better to just walk the Fsmash and Ftilt or does pivot boosting help?
I've never been able to incorporate his pivot boost in competitive play. Props if you can.
And generally speaking, ftilt and fsmash are situational attacks.

CrayZ

Smash Rookie
can you a jab lock with pika?
i did it on a bot doing nothing but in a match?

gallax

Smash Hero
is the pivot boost the dtilt craziness thing? i do it every now and then. if you want to discuss oli then i can help too. im gonna be getting on aim starting this weekend when i get off work. i will be glad to help anyone. you also message me or email me. my contact info is there to be seen.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I'm guessing by the "dtilt craziness thing", you are referring to how you automatically are pushed backwards if you jump after a dtilt.
I believe he was talking about the pivot boost grab. Is that right, Bouse? It seems to be something very good for Falco and DDD, but with Pikachu's grab range it doesn't do him much good.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
wolf and snake are the best. neither like to jump out of cgs much. falco can jump out of cgs, so they tend to always. just my opinion. i pull off the wave pivot grabs on those 2 chars the most. always fun to continue a cg that way. the people always give you mad props too.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
perfect sheilding really helps against those approaches, as well as rolls through them. just watch up for the follow up combos. timing qac between the zairs helps as well.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Pivot boosting is a technique Link mains use a lot so I'll explain.

It's when you use your turn around animation to move forward more and to make an attack seem to "leap" at someone. You can pivot boost grabs, but Link mains traditionally use it for Dsmash and Ftilt because it's the most effective for those. As far as I can tell it's only really useful for the pivot-boosted Fsmash and Dsmash for Pikachu. It's just something I do habitually from playing too much Link.

gallax

Smash Hero
oh thats right. i remember. i knew what it was...but not by name. its really been a while with some terms. i tend to use it alot with falco.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Samus... is a very gimped character. If you play right against her, you should have no problems.

She's got a decent approach but no ability to deal with a shield AT ALL. Her grab is slow and all her good attacks have lag at the end. If you shield her attacks she has to mix it up with her grab, which lags a lot and is very punishable. Punishable = good for you.

Good Samuses probably out space you and make you whiff attacks while they hit you with their decent range. To counter that, just anticipate that you're not going to hit what you intend to hit on the first shot, and airdodge instead of attacking. That should break their spacing pressure some. Once you close in on her, keep defensive and in your shield - this intimidates Samus because they can't deal with shields very well.

Eventually she'll either attack you or try to maneuver away. If she attacks you, shield it and punish. Her attacks are laggy, and her jab has no hitstun so you can counter it with a dsmash or something. Her aerials have no landing lag, but still are pretty easy to counter if you've broken her spacing game. If she tries to maneuver away, you're faster, and you're too close to get zair-ed. You should be able to keep up the pressure and overpower her with your faster, less laggy attacks.

One more thing, her aerials have no landing lag. Watch out for that and good luck.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the help. The main problem is when samus would zair then use her range to get attacks on me even when I got close she would keep spot dodging then dsmash but with this info I probally won't have many problems next time I face him.

Top Bottom