• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Dthrow cg only goes up to about 70% and you have to do it in a certain way so he doesn't escape with a footstool.

Veng

Smash Ace
Is there anything significantly new I should know that came after the buffer grabs?

I've been really bad to check updates about Pika other then just playing at smashfests and tourneys.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Is there anything significantly new I should know that came after the buffer grabs?
There's the uair > footstool > QAL thing, but that's really situational, lol. It's still handy to know, though, I guess.

Otherwise, no, Pika's still the same old.

Krow

Smash Rookie
This Q&A is ********!!!!! Pikachu Is Not an Effing Squirrel He's A Mouse Smart Ones!!!!!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have a quick question.

My friend uses Pika and showed me how Pika can telestep consistently (upB a bit away from the edge towards the ledge, and you appear on the stage with no lag instead of grabbing the ledge). Can I have a video referral to this? I'm trying to do some research and I need a couple of telestepping videos to compare with.

I checked all through YouTube and the topics in this forum, but found nothing suggesting Pika can telestep.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I have a quick question.

My friend uses Pika and showed me how Pika can telestep consistently (upB a bit away from the edge towards the ledge, and you appear on the stage with no lag instead of grabbing the ledge). Can I have a video referral to this? I'm trying to do some research and I need a couple of telestepping videos to compare with.

I checked all through YouTube and the topics in this forum, but found nothing suggesting Pika can telestep.
I do believe that what you are talking about is either:

1) Quick Attack Cancelling (QaC... youtube that and you'll get a few results)

2) Quick Attack (cancel) into a ledge cancel of some kind (which is still possible at times).

Both, especially QaC, are widely known by many pro pika's.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Kewkky: I'm not really sure what you mean. I'm guessing you're talking about what LDPK said, but just in case: Are you talking about Pika scarring? On FD (at least.... I haven't seen it done on any other stages), Pikachu can QA through the stage and land on the stage itself.

There're two variations:

The first one is like Wolf's scarring, except with QA. If you QA right underneath the ledge, you'll teleport onto the stage and have no lag. It's really, really hard to do, though. Can't find a vid for it.

For the second variation, you go through closer to the center of the stage and get regular QA lag.
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b09suIc-6_c
Another vid at a different spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Tx8qyJaBw&feature=fvw

All Pika scarring is really glitchy and probably not worth it to try. It's difficult to pull off, and if you mess up, you die. Besides that, Pikachu already has a ton of different ways to get back onto the stage, so it shouldn't ever be necessary.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Why don'tcha just ask your friend?
Because I'm asking for a video link to a Pika tele-step with upB from the ledge, I want to use it as reference for a small research thing I'm trying to do for another character. I've seen it already, so if he shows me, it's just me seeing it, not the other people involved in the research that are not in PR.

KayLo!, although that upB scarring is quite an awesome find. Not worth it at all (unless you understand the mechanics behind it), but still, awesome glitch that can be repeated. And I meant the one where Pika does it and ends up right next to the edge, in other words, the former.

If you have a video for the first one, I'd seriously appreciate it if you could give me one. Even if it isn't worth it at all, I just want a video with it in action, even if it was accidental.

Thanks a bunch to all of you, by the way. :bee:

Edit: And Legendary Pikachu, I know what QAC is, and I've also done it consistently. It's extremely easy, and it's practically Pika's defining AT. I don't know how people can NOT know about it. :|

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Question:

How many times have people here pulled off the inifinitish thing with Uair/QAC and does anyone try often to do it in matches of any kind?

Does it seem to be picking up regularity or kind of falling off the viability list?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I know Me, Anther and ESAM have been doing it in our matches. There's no reason not to do it when you see the opportunity to use it. It's not like it's difficult to do.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Jump near the ledge and use QA at a 67.5 degree angle (horizontal QA but slightly upward) towards the stage. You gotta be pretty **** close to the edge for it to work.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I need your help, please!

Okay guys, I cannot for the life of me, Pikaslide. While you're d-tilting you hold back and use the c-stick to smash. Is that all there is to it? I get no slide at all when I'm doing it, is there a timing window for when you hold back during the d-tilt?

I feel kinda pathetic to ask..but yeah...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I dunno why you can't get it, lol, since you're doing it right. Just try to switch up your timing until it works.

I usually hold back just as his tail sweep is about to end, then hit the c-stick as I see him start to slide. The later you hit the c-stick, the more you'll slide, but if you wait too long, you'll start to walk before you smash. I dunno. Just keep trying. x.x

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Thanks, I usually do end up walking. *goes back to trying*

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I know what you're talking about. There really isn't an official name for it that's why you can't find it anywhere. There's a japanese Pika player that does it a lot in his matches.

Here's a vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arvo9oPpgn4

It's actually really easy to do once you get the hang of it.
Thank you very much! Here's a link to what I'm trying to use a Pika example for, in case you want to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VYYlPiUxU

It's more or less the same thing, I'm thinking. So I'll practice with Pika and Wolf for a bit, then try and recreate it with Kirby when I understand how it works and am able to do it consistently.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
First off I realize this might be the wrong place to post this but I wanted to make sure a Pika main would read this.

I Started Maining pika about 4 days ago and he has abecome my best, despite the training I had already put into Falco for months. I just wondered if anyone could give some advice on pressuring

When I get one stocked and am taking damage, I tend to freak and make carless mistakes. Im getting good at becoming unpredictable by using QAC and no lag arials, But when I start to beat my harder opponets I get nervous and make mistakes.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remain calm?

Also I ahve noticed that when I fight my friend who mains wolf, he usualy peaks at about 200. I can rack the damage up quick but am having trouble landing the kill. Ive looked at Anther and noticed he uses no lag nair out of a shield and that works for me sometimes, but besides that my friend plays the shield game and it gets hard for me to get a smash or quick kill move to conect. any advice?

Thanks

TheVince

Smash Apprentice
Also I ahve noticed that when I fight my friend who mains wolf, he usualy peaks at about 200. I can rack the damage up quick but am having trouble landing the kill. Ive looked at Anther and noticed he uses no lag nair out of a shield and that works for me sometimes, but besides that my friend plays the shield game and it gets hard for me to get a smash or quick kill move to conect. any advice?

Thanks
If you aren't getting a kill until 200% you are doing something wrong >_>

It would help if you could get a video so we could help more. Down-grab can lead into kills, if this helps at all. Moar edgeguard too.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
ok, i can get a video. Do you know how I can upload it though? The format on replays is weird and only shws up on the conosle itself. Is there another way or am I doing it wrong?

Frio

Smash Champion
ok, i can get a video. Do you know how I can upload it though? The format on replays is weird and only shws up on the conosle itself. Is there another way or am I doing it wrong?
If I recall correctly there is no way to transfer the Video file itself from the wii. You're going to need to tape it, or if you cant upload tapes use a webcam to film your tv :/

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Find someone who can upload it for you using a recording device like a Dazzle.

Or use a camera and tape it straight from your TV like Frio said, though the quality will be bad.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
alright. I dont have any recordings of me fighting my friend who I play against, so id have to use a CPU. WOuld it even be worth my time and yours for me to play agianst and tape a CPU fighting me? If you think you would still be able to help then Ill do it but just checkin in with you first.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
We won't be able to help you very much, if at all, if it's vs. a CPU. :ohwell:

Just wait until you can get replays vs. your friends.

Top Bottom