• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu discussion

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
If you really want to land Upsmash, approach with Uair and then hit the Upsmash. Dair>Upsmash is Ok, but it's harder to approach with dair unless from above, but that's not recommended since almost every character has something that can out-priorities pikachu Dair.

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
How the... I'm trying that now and Bair knocks falcon back too quickly for my Usmash to catch him, even at 0%. Am I just too slow?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
B-Air as you land into the ground, so you can cancel the d-air and immediately dash u-smash into them.

U-Air is a decent lead-in, hitting with 1/2 hits of F-Air going into the ground is also relatively usable.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
You can do either of two things really.

You can use the reverse hit box to push them forward, into the Usmash.

Or you can Bair and Pivot into the Usmash (as i did)

Both look cool imo and both will require you to do as AA said

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
Lol you didn't have to worry about keeping me waiting, it was 5am so I went to bed. Thanks for the vid, I have some training mode time to attend to.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
haha well i think i secretly used that as an excuse to give up :p

I'm still having troubles with the combo i have in mind so it STILL wouldn't be done if i had waited.

I'm working on a nice pika combo but i dont think it'll be on an emulator :o

asianaussie

Smash Hero
U-Tilt might beat it. It beats most things if timed properly, but don't count on it. I wouldn't bet on U-Smash, though a well-timed dashdance U-Smash or something would be suitable punishment for reckless falling D-Airs.

Pivot grabs are probably the best thing to do though. Start an edgeguard or something.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Pikachu pivot grab? **** in my experience since his pivot only goes like a centimeter, the dair would probably still end up hitting you.

Just don't allow Ness to approach you from directly above. Space yourself so you approach him with a solid Uair or Bair.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Not pivot pivot itself, but dash pivot.
That's kind of obvious when we're talking about pivot vs dairs...

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I don't even know what you're talking about any more. What is a pivot pivot? Turning around on the spot? If so obviously I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about Pikachu's initial dash>pivot, which barely takes him anywhere, certainly not far enough to move away from a Ness that odds are could adjust his fall to match.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
%90 of the time i play ness pikachu matchups, djc dair loses to grab. actually djc anything usually loses to grab.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Not sure why you people are saying dodge/pivot when uair beats Ness's dair easily, HAMMERHEART got it right.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
It beats it if timed correctly, but don't risk it just go for a uair instead.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
(11:10:11PM) <\\\Robsta\\\> today someone told me the lower down a character is hit by pika's down b the higher they go. is this true?

I didn't know how to answer this question, so I decided to ask here. So to slightly reformat the question:

Are all the hitboxes along Pikachu's thunder identical in properties? (Assuming that the thunder does not hit pikachu). Namely I am interested in the knockback of the hitboxes.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
There's 2 hitboxes for the downb. Some of the time you can get hit by both of the hitboxes(usually if you DI into it), so you will get the knockback of the long thunder hit at times. It makes a difference when you DI too, sometimes both hits will hit and you will get be sent out by the downb slam.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It'd only be an assumption but im pretty sure they are all the same except for the contact point with pikachu
This.

The two hitboxes Boomfan was talking about is the thunderbolt itself, and the hitbox from Pikachu getting hit by the thunderbolt.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Ok. To clarify:

There are only 2 hitboxes in Pikachu's downB. The larger, contact point with Pikachu, and the one along the Thunder?

I got confused as the one along the Thunder looks like many, smaller ones combined and I thought that some of them might have different properties.

Off topic but by God the contact hitbox is massive compared to the animation.

The Star King

Smash Hero
There are many smaller ones but I'm pretty sure they all have the same properties. I think Thunder has infinite vertical range, and travels down from the top blastzone until it hits Pikachu/the ground.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Unlike in the rest of the smash games pikachus thunder starts at the ENDLESS ABYSS at the top of the screen, making it perfect for assisting upward kills.

The animation does actually make sense, your pic is either an early frame where pikachu is JUST being hit with the thunder or a late frame where its going away...but i suppose that also does mean its early frames have the same range as the later ones despite the animation taking a FEW more frames to catch up / vanish.

I find the bottom corners to be a little surprising in terms of range though. they dip well into the platform.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
For the longest time, Falcon has been my pikachu's worst enemy. I've always had such a hard time against Falcons. Mainly approaching Falcon. I see a handful of other players (from witnessing) had a similar issue. The other day I was abusing Pikachu because I don't use him too much, and I figured out how to successfully defeat Falcon with Pikachu.

- Approach with aerials
- Don't approach with nair
- Be careful when approaching from above
- Utilt falcon's aerials
- At high percentages, expect a pivot fsmash
- Grab a lot; get falcon off the edge

I'm still kind of learning Pikachu, his combos are still kind of trippy. And I suck with up B.

Battlecow

Play to Win
My doug is the pika slayer

That's literally his best matchup except for maybe link. Get at him.

Fr Srs tho, coming from the other side of the matchup, what you have to do is not **** up the edgeguards. They should be really easy, but I see so many mid-to-high level pikas fsmashing too slow and getting hugged, or jumping out too far and getting tricked into missing with an aerial (lol). Every time Dougie J. gets grabbed and tossed offstage, he needs to be dead, dead, dead.

Pick Hyrule. This is a big one. Pika is generally better on DL, but doug's B&B combos (especially from ~10%) work really well on pika on DL if the doug doesn't land on platforms at the wrong time like an idiot. also pika gets fthrow-dair'd pretty well, and that's no problem on DL. Pika >>>>>> doug in tha tent. I'd say the matchup is 55-45 pika on DL and like 65-35 on Hyrule. Big difference.

Don't get spiked/knocked out of up-B. Basically, this is a Rock-Paper-Scissors thing, but if you get predictable (e.g. going for the ledge every time) doug's gonna hop out there and pull his long-lasting Dair. You have to pay really close attention (closer than most pika players pay; a lot of them get complacent with their great recovery) and try to go above him if he's already committed himself low, or to the ledge if he's already way up there in the air. Try to avoid a big laggy landing close to the edge if you can, because often he'll have enough time with his superspeed to run over and grab-bthrow or something.

Don't get grabbed. Depending on the %'s, you're gonna get combo'd, thrown off, or pivot-uair'd. Hop around like the little ***** you are and hit him with some SH aerial, then grab and edgeguard like your life depends on it (it does).

Watch for the Fsmash. It is a technique of unreasonable and inexplicable efficacy.

You probably knew all that, but really put it into practice. Keep a knife by the computer and cut yourself every time you fail to edgeguard.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I prefer playing Falcon against Pika on Hyrule. On DL you get gimped too easily. I combo Pika just fine on Hyrule.
U so wrongg. Too much fox has got the hyrule bug into you.

Fthrow. Down-air. That is all. And you simply don't have the same kind of 0-death potential on Hyrule without them platforms to help you. Not even you, sir ballin'.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I would allso say falcon has a better chance against pika on DL. Only downside is that he can get gimped fast, but because the rest of the stage is so good for him, he can allso gimp pika there. On hyrule its the tent, the left side big favor for pika. Pluss is much harder for falcon to kill pika there.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
U so wrongg. Too much fox has got the hyrule bug into you.

Fthrow. Down-air. That is all. And you simply don't have the same kind of 0-death potential on Hyrule without them platforms to help you. Not even you, sir ballin'.
The only good place for Falcon on hyrule is the middle, Pikachu just dominates everywhere else.
Do we REALLY have to get into this again...sigh

Top Bottom