• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Looks like Dark Pit probably will not be playable--or least, he probably will not have his own character slot. If he WAS playable, then the end of Palutena's trailer arguably would have been the perfect time to confirm it.

I am hoping he will be an alternate costume for Pit, perhaps with different voice clips. They could also give Dark Pit some of his own colour swaps, so nobody fights over him.

If he is an Assist Trophy, a cool thing he could do is fly towards the screen, hover in front of the stage, conjure his Dark Pit Staff, then start sniping other players.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Shadow the Angel? I'd be ok with him being an alternate costume for Pit. As his own playable character? "H" to the "F"-ing no.

D

Deleted member

While I'm personally not convinced Dark Pit will be playable due to Palutena, bear in mind that Dark Pit not being announced as a character in Palutena's trailer doesn't mean he's disconfirmed.

The ending where he appears gives off a Stinger vibe:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheStinger

as if his appearance is meant to lead into something else, especially with the fact he's "crashing Palutena's party". Whether this will be a separate character reveal, a boss role on the Palutena's Temple stage, an aspect of Pit for customization (like the three Mii styles), etc. is unknown.

There's also Pac-Man's trailer to think about, where Mr. Game & Watch appears at the end as a cameo to make a reference to how old Pac-Man is (same year as G&W, a year before Mario and DK). Mr. Game & Watch has not been announced as a character yet, even after the cameo. Yet, it's reasonable to assume that he will be announced on a later date due to being a playable character in the Smash franchise since Melee.

Granted, Dark Pit would be another Newcomer, not a veteran like G&W, but if G&W isn't rendered down for the count due to appearing in a trailer without an announcement, we shouldn't discount Dark Pit just yet....

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
At first I hated the idea (and I genuinely like Dark Pit a ton), but the thought of a playable Dark Pit has grown on me. He could use all the weapons Pit doesn't use, Staffs, Claws, Hands, Blades, as well as a few reworked Bow based moves. He could focus more on Kill Power and be more ruthless compared to Pit who could/would be more about racking up damage. If he was anywhere as unique as Wolf A move wise and no cloned B moves, he'd be an awesome addition imo.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If my prediction is accurate, Pittoo is going to remain an alt costume, though they may give the easter egg of his voice changing and if the kid icarus stages have codecs for Pit and Palutena like the Starfox ones had for Fox and Falco, Pittoo will have one special to himself as an alt costume. Until someone besides Sakurai is brave enough to make Kid Icarus Uprising 2 with a playable Dark Pit that has a more unique and fleshed out fighting and weapon style.

To further nostradaman style predictiating, Uprising 2 would feature a new single player campaign but with a greater focus on multiplayer having multiple characters to choose from that would break down as such:

Pit: Bows
Magnus: Clubs
Palutena/Dark Pit (One will be unlockable): Staves
Pandora: Claws
Viridi: Canons
Pyrhon: Palms
Phosphora/The Moon Guy: Swords

Yeah, I'm probably forgetting a bunch of weapons right here, I should play some Uprising soon.

Neo Zero

If my prediction is accurate, Pittoo is going to remain an alt costume, though they may give the easter egg of his voice changing and if the kid icarus stages have codecs for Pit and Palutena like the Starfox ones had for Fox and Falco, Pittoo will have one special to himself as an alt costume. Until someone besides Sakurai is brave enough to make Kid Icarus Uprising 2 with a playable Dark Pit that has a more unique and fleshed out fighting and weapon style.

To further nostradaman style predictiating, Uprising 2 would feature a new single player campaign but with a greater focus on multiplayer having multiple characters to choose from that would break down as such:

Pit: Bows
Magnus: Clubs
Palutena/Dark Pit (One will be unlockable): Staves
Pandora: Claws
Viridi: Canons
Pyrhon: Palms
Phosphora/The Moon Guy: Swords

Yeah, I'm probably forgetting a bunch of weapons right here, I should play some Uprising soon.
Sakurai has said though he doesn't want characters to turn into a different character for an alt costume. Pittoo is technically a different character after all. At any rate, he could be one I suppose, he can also be a Boss, an Assist Trophy, or a Playable Character. Really hard to say which right now.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Apparently Pit's Dark Pit alt has been removed. I'm not completely sure what to make of this, but if he is playable I think Sakurai could make it work.

At this point, if he is playable, I'm sure he'll be hidden.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I'm thinking Assist Trophy or alt costume. Likely latter.
Kid Icarus should not have three reps, two in one game, when there are so many more characters that need to be added; Dixie and K Rool as two to a needed series come to mind.
Agreed

Granted Fire Emblem was boosted 2 off the bat being entirely new but that also included the clones. Kid Icarrus doesn't deserve 3 reps after having one game come out after being dormant for so long. If they do, then **** is going to hit the fan about Sakurai picking favorites.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That leads me to think there is a lot of trolling from Sakurai then for other characters.... toad, ridley, etc
Do they actually not have hope if I am dismissing Dark Pit, a character I actively do NOT want?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alt costume with voice change or an assist trophy. I, personally, think we have a better shot seeing a playable Phosphora. (Which isn't happening either)

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
This may be a reach/stretch, but I think since Paulenta's temple wasn't playable at E3/Best Buy, I believe that like when Toon Link is played on the Spirit Tracks stage, Alfonzo takes over, I think Dark Pit oversees the match when Paulenta is in battle and may act as a stage hazard, all considering, since while (in the trailer) Paulenta was fighting, Dark Pit just dropped in from wherever he was..

This may be a reach/stretch, but I think since Paulenta's temple wasn't playable at E3/Best Buy, I believe that like when Toon Link is played on the Spirit Tracks stage, Alfonzo takes over, I think Dark Pit oversees the match when Paulenta is in battle and may act as a stage hazard, all considering, since while (in the trailer) Paulenta was fighting, Dark Pit just dropped in from wherever he was..
That was just a statue though. No replacement needed.

Anyway, Sakurai's teasing with Dark Pit is strange. He's in the trailer and even Palutena's artwork in the top right.

What is Sakurai hiding? Doesn't necessarily have to be a fighter, but what else could he be to be teased this much?

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Statue =/= Palutena.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Statue =/= Palutena.
I'm not sure if you're refuting my statement or supporting it..?
either way I do understand what @ Smash_Veteran_Amtoj Smash_Veteran_Amtoj was saying, but I do think that it can happen either way (actually playable or another role), but in what is different in the tease with G & W and Dark Pit is that, Dark Pit is an incarnation of an already existing character, i.e Samus & Dark Samus, so just like Dark Samus could have easily had as equal opportunity as Dark Pit, it was still used as an Assist Trophy, so there's that, and since G & W is "original", he plays a unique role in Smash Bros like the rest of the characters.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
That was just a statue though. No replacement needed.

Anyway, Sakurai's teasing with Dark Pit is strange. He's in the trailer and even Palutena's artwork in the top right.

What is Sakurai hiding? Doesn't necessarily have to be a fighter, but what else could he be to be teased this much?
Medusa! :awesome:

*takes his custom F-Zero machine from GX to flee*

I'm not sure if you're refuting my statement or supporting it..?
either way I do understand what @ Smash_Veteran_Amtoj Smash_Veteran_Amtoj was saying, but I do think that it can happen either way (actually playable or another role), but in what is different in the tease with G & W and Dark Pit is that, Dark Pit is an incarnation of an already existing character, i.e Samus & Dark Samus, so just like Dark Samus could have easily had as equal opportunity as Dark Pit, it was still used as an Assist Trophy, so there's that, and since G & W is "original", he plays a unique role in Smash Bros like the rest of the characters.
I just don't understand all the Dark Pit teasing. I mean, if he was an Assist Trophy or costume, why would he show up in the artwork and trailer? I also doubt his chances of being a fighter, but it would be kinda cool. Really liked his character from Uprising, and most of his signature weapons are ones Pit doesn't use. All of them, if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm... Perhaps Sakurai just REALLY likes Dark Pit in general? Then again, I'm sure others worked on making the trailer, as Sakurai probably isn't really the best guy for directing trailers in the team.

This guy is confusing me.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The trailer makes me hope they never stop making Kid Icarus anime shorts.

And if Dark Pit's alt costume has been removed, and how they showed him in Palutena's trailer, he very well may be playable, as having as much Kid Icarus stuff in smash makes Uprising 2 more likely, I support this.

Neo Zero

inb4 he's actually a stage boss! :troll:
This is one problem with stage bosses I have in general. We only know about Yellow Devil still (and let's not get into Ridley right now) so we don't know what else could qualify as a boss. I personally think Pittoo is to small for a stage boss, plus Palutena's temple is huge, having a boss there would make no sense.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Dark Pit gets in front of the screen, and Snipes the players with his staff, a la Snake.

Just a possibility, obviously.

Or we have some kind of adventure mode, without cutscenes, but dialogues like in KI, and Dark Pit is a boss.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
This is one problem with stage bosses I have in general. We only know about Yellow Devil still (and let's not get into Ridley right now) so we don't know what else could qualify as a boss. I personally think Pittoo is to small for a stage boss, plus Palutena's temple is huge, having a boss there would make no sense.
True.

Last edited:
If Dark Pit is a costume, he wouldn't get so much prominence, would he?

I also heard Sakurai apparently doesn't like to add costumes that change the character's identity. Never found out if this opinion of his was true though.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I like the idea of Dark Pit as a stage boss. Yellow Devil is big and pretty stationary, so having a boss who's small and very fast would be more varied. I'm picturing some of his bow attacks being similar to Pit's Final Smash, as well as pulling his weapons (Staff, Club, Palm, and Cannon) for other attacks while flying around the stage wreaking general havoc.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'll say it again, there are better bosses to use in Palutena's Temple, there's a huge amount of space in that stage, I'm betting it will be used for Hades or Twinbellows for a boss battle. It's like playing against Subspace Peach or Subspace Zelda in SSE, which doesn't add much flavor into the boss battle at all.

Neo Zero

The idea of Dark Pit being a hazard and sniping you from the foreground seems logical enough to me.

Though I still dont think they would focus on a stage hazard in a trailer and artwork.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Admittedly i could see Nintendo/Sakurai making him playable. (Pink Gold Peach... all over again. Except he might actually be more than a pallet swap)

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Pit's Dark Pit alt has been removed. I'm not completely sure what to make of this, but if he is playable I think Sakurai could make it work.

At this point, if he is playable, I'm sure he'll be hidden.
Well to be fair, only 4 palettes were shown for everybody. This could mean that half of the alts have not even been shown/recreated yet. The teasing for Dark Pit is very interesting though.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
One benefit for Dark Pit appearing. In the trailer they change his hair to be a bit more different than Pit's than in Uprising. Maybe they'll further change his look beyond a pallette swap.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Medusa! :awesome:

*takes his custom F-Zero machine from GX to flee*
Would be amazing, lol.

I just can't see Dark Pit getting in as anything other then a costume, although if said costume included different voice clips it might be my main.

(If he is a semi-clone and Lucas is cut I'll be kind of upset)

He would kind of be perfect in the future if the series gets bigger, though. If you add Medusa or Hades (hopefully Medusa but we would have to see how future games treat them) then you have a villain, and a rival character would be the next step.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll say it again, there are better bosses to use in Palutena's Temple, there's a huge amount of space in that stage, I'm betting it will be used for Hades or Twinbellows for a boss battle. It's like playing against Subspace Peach or Subspace Zelda in SSE, which doesn't add much flavor into the boss battle at all.
The way the stage is laid out doesn't really allow for a giant boss to be effective.
Think about why Yellow Devil works on Wily Castle; He's big, the stage is rather simple and small.

Palutena's Temple is large and complex. A smaller, free-flying boss that can hunt you down throughout every crack and crevice of the locale would be more effective.

And if one's not enough, perhaps as a nod to multiplayer mode, Dark Pit is assisted by two or three Fighters from the Dark Team, making it more difficult to escape.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Figured this thread would be bumped after that teaser.

To have Dark Pit teased at the end of the trailer is one thing, but him being featured on her newcomer artwork is something else entirely.

Why would Sakurai tease an Assist Trophy, boss or stage hazard this much? Did he do this sort of teasing with any of the Assist Trophies revealed so far? Did he do such a thing for a boss? Something tells me Dark Pit will have some sort of exclusive role.

I think Dark Pit is going to be a special alt for Pit, like how WFT has the male option. WFT is even referred on the Direct as Wii Fit Trainers (note the plural), implying both trainers to be different characters or identities (one is a girl, the other is a man).

Well, as anyone who played Kid Icarus: Uprising knows, playing as Dark Pit is exactly the same thing as Pit. It makes sense as both characters have the same powers and fighting skills. According to the story, Dark Pit is a reflection of Pit's self, a manifestation of his hidden, darker thoughts. In a sense, they are as one, something that is revealed on the Chaos Kin arc.

Speaking of the Chaos Kin story arc, have you noticed how music from chapters of that arc plays during Palutena's trailer? How the Chaos Kin is alluded during the trailer? And, most relevant here, it's the same story arc where Dark Pit undergoes major character development? Coincidence? Maybe... or maybe not...

Sakurai has been very biased towards his previous game too (judging by the amount of content from that game present on this game...), so I think he might include something like that. Seriously, it wouldn't be more than a easter egg, much like how you can select the male trainer for WFT.

(Perhaps, I'm overthinking all of this, but putting all those pieces together makes things quite interesting...)

Curiously, Isabelle, the new Assist Trophy from Animal Crossing, appeared on the Villager's artwork...

Last edited:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Dark pit would be cool as a pit alt/costume with the voice added as well but being his own character seems a little bit much to me, Honstly hope that doesn't happen :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom