• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's recovery is simply too good

Angell

Smash Cadet
The most popular thread for pit is the complaint thread.

That's really sad people

Last edited:

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
The Pit Social Thread hasn't been used in over a year, so I guess not too many people want to talk about the good things. Still, it's pretty memorable to think that the Pit boards get the most active when someone is complaining about him lol.

If I were to say anything about the status of his recovery, I would say it's in the top 5, maybe even the top 3. He has multiple jumps, a glide and an Up B that goes a similar distance to Mario's iirc. But, he has the same weight and fall speed as Pikachu (who also has an amazing recovery) meaning if he was without such a good recovery, he would be piss-easy to gimp early. Considering that, I don't think Pits recovery is over the top though, as his last 2 jumps give pretty pathetic height, his Up B is somewhat difficult to sweetspot the ledge with, and hitting him out of glide isn't impossible.
What I do think is pretty crazy about it is that he gets ALL of those options back as soon as he grabs the ledge. He gets back most of his jumps, his glide, and his Up B, giving Pit's recovery a highly regenerative nature not found in many other characters. You could say that grabbing ledge is great for all characters, but I feel that Pit just get more reward than most other characters from simply grabbing the ledge. That being said, isn't necessarily OP, it's just better.

On a side note, if you want to see a crazy "too good" recovery, watch someone using Samus' teather recovery. That move still amazes me sometimes...

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Lol

Edit: you better be trolling.
I'm not trolling. I main Falco in Melee, and I'm one of the better players overall. Have a lot of solid wins in and out of state. I also secondary Falco in PM. My PM Falco has influenced some of the balance changes in PM overall. I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to his recovery.

Angell

Smash Cadet
I'm not trolling. I main Falco in Melee, and I'm one of the better players overall. Have a lot of solid wins in and out of state. I also secondary Falco in PM. My PM Falco has influenced some of the balance changes in PM overall. I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to his recovery.
How is his recovery good at all ( not an insult just a question)

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
How is his recovery good at all ( not an insult just a question)
I believe I can answer for Vixen here. In strict terms of distance, Falco's Up B is horrible. But his options he has while recovering make his recovery as a whole rather good. He has an insanely tall double jump, has Shine to stall in the air, and his Up B (while it may not go far) can be angled just like the other spacies'. On top of that, his Up B has NO landing lag, meaning he doesn't have to grab ledge to be safe. In addition, his Side-B is very fast, can be shortened or extended and allows for EZ sweetspots on ledge. It grants him intangibility, and is dangerous to combat off-stage because it behaves like a meteor smash. And word is, he personally prefers the air.

TL;DR Falco's point A to point B distance is ****, but he has tons of ways to mix up how he gets from point A to point B.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
I believe I can answer for Vixen here. In strict terms of distance, Falco's Up B is horrible. But his options he has while recovering make his recovery as a whole rather good. He has an insanely tall double jump, has Shine to stall in the air, and his Up B (while it may not go far) can be angled just like the other spacies'. On top of that, his Up B has NO landing lag, meaning he doesn't have to grab ledge to be safe. In addition, his Side-B is very fast, can be shortened or extended and allows for EZ sweetspots on ledge. It grants him intangibility, and is dangerous to combat off-stage because it behaves like a meteor smash. And word is, he personally prefers the air.

TL;DR Falco's point A to point B distance is ****, but he has tons of ways to mix up how he gets from point A to point B.
This is probably one of the best descriptions of Spacy recovery mix-ups I've read, you've convinced that their recover is better than I had previously thought. That said I don't believe his Side B grants him intangibility (as far as I know if you have a hitbox in the middle of its path it will atleast clack with it and therefore isn't intangible) , do you have any sources for the claim?

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
I use to think it was a spike but yeah it's a meteor

@ Liquid Brick Liquid Brick Up-b has no landing lag?
Sorry for the late reply.

From looking at the frame data, it seems that the only lag Fox and Falco show after an Up-B on stage is the normal landing lag plus less than 5 frames of SpecialFall Lag. Adds up to less than 10 frames (9 Frames exactly for Falco), so I guess I was wrong to say that it had no lag, but TBH I wouldn't consider 3 extra frames (the SpecialFall Lag) to be very punishable...

As for the intangibility on Falco's Side-B, it's tough to say, as I've seen him be hit out of it before, and I've also seen him pass right through people's grabs. It depends on the timing of the move really. As Falco moves forwards, he slightly increases the distance between his hurtbox and the active hitbox, meaning as the move goes on, the move gets less and less priority (bad term to use here I know). It's difficult to catch his hurtbox mid-move without clipping his hitbox when the move starts, but towards the end it's very possible to grab him or hit him or do whatever.

TL'DR: I assumed to much, please forgive me! =[

BTW, fellow Pit mains, please STOP using glide right after you get out of hitstun! Use all of your jumps first, and if you get hit back a 2nd time then use your glide! It pains me SO much to see a Pit offstage go Side-B > Jump and get hit. You just lost a jump AND your glide! STAHP

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Please don't nerf Pit and let the metagame grow. Don't focus on nerfing at all just buff the weaker characters( Maybe the ones I had in a certain thread that was locked? Just saying [ I worked hard on THOSE BUFFS!!! I had to learn the whole roster and you had to lock it... :( ] )

ObsidianFH

Smash Rookie
Pit's a very strong, solid character that definitely warrants attention. However, I think nerfing him is the opposite of what really needs to be done. It's a quick, lazy solution, if you ask me, to handle him this way rather than letting the metagame grow around him. At this point there's still many things that can be done about him, and when people practice 3.0 and get better Pit may not be so bad to play against.

I, for one, think he's outspaced really easily, and if you want to counterpick you should go for disjoints first. Then all you have to do is get good at dodging the arrows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom