• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plano/Garland/Richardson - Brawl & Melee - Jan 18, 2009

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
You could try the strikeout method of choosing the first stage, where you start with an odd number of stages, then have each player strike a stage til you're down to 1, which you play on. Seems to be all the rage in some places. Though it is a little more complicated than the current system.
That's a pretty creative method, i doubt people would want to take the time to do it though.

and just the thought of explaining that to someone who's not a tournament regular...blehh.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
True Ruleset

SBR Recommended Rule List The Box edition
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (singles and doubles)
The following list was created by members of the Smash Back Room (SBR).
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The stock is set to 4 *
  • The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except semi/finals 3/5
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
  • Wobbling is NOT allowed
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
edit *
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise*
Dream Land: Green Greens *
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle*

Banned Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II*
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List
This is perfect

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I think me and Antichrist (666) are teaming, and Birds and Hylian are teaming. We should wreck some **** XD

Infinity and Drew better be there. Rematch with drew, infinity I just haven't ever played.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I think me and Antichrist (666) are teaming, and Birds and Hylian are teaming. We should wreck some **** XD

Infinity and Drew better be there. Rematch with drew, infinity I just haven't ever played.
wtf since when is hylian coming??
random lol

idk if drew will be there, but i'm asuming 666 is spookz correct?

and who is birds?

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Yeah, spoox. Birds is his wife ^.^ And Hylian is unannounced, don't worry about it, he'll be there ^.^

Gonna pwn him up somethin' feirce.

SuperSaiyan4Rhiannon

Smash Cadet
I'm BIRDS.

Haha..DM1 you act like people are supposed to know who I am..

& Yes, Hopefully Hylian is coming. If he does, he's my teammate.

But just in case he can't make it for some reason since it's a pretty far drive, I might need a backup. If anyone doesn't have a teammate, msg me ^_^

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
When is the earliest we can show up for friendlies?

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Yeah, spoox. Birds is his wife ^.^ And Hylian is unannounced, don't worry about it, he'll be there ^.^

Gonna pwn him up somethin' feirce.
so his girlfriend huh? i would've never guessed lol

Don't think I'll be there....

I've got plans, plus Chang still hates brawl so I'm sad :(
NO! we must show him the way of dual wielding :-P

I'm BIRDS.

Haha..DM1 you act like people are supposed to know who I am..

& Yes, Hopefully Hylian is coming. If he does, he's my teammate.

But just in case he can't make it for some reason since it's a pretty far drive, I might need a backup. If anyone doesn't have a teammate, msg me ^_^
Hello, nice to meet you, i think DM said he'd team with you if you're interested.

i think like 5:30 or so, i must play IC's vs. D3 against you, don't let me forget!

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
YES cAN WE?

I guess SX isn't going to the tourney, so I need a teammate. I really don't care who tho XD Unlike m2k I play for fun not money.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
No, bloody and cramping.
Messy, and irritating for everyone else.

DOH is playing with Wobbles!? *Gasp*

Bwett, thanx for the mini fest, I needed that last minute practice XD Team "Mario's Butt Buddies" ftw XD I think I'm showing up at 5ish to work on my IC's game, thanks to Melee 1 beating the living piss out of me for 5 hours.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami

Bwett, thanx for the mini fest, I needed that last minute practice XD Team "Mario's Butt Buddies" ftw XD I think I'm showing up at 5ish to work on my IC's game, thanks to Melee 1 beating the living piss out of me for 5 hours.
haha sounds like you guys had fun, you know you could've used a DDD though ^_^

and doh is teaming with wobbles tomorrow??

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
SO I've heard, from Bwett... So I could be very wrong.

And funny you mention, my crew has a player in NY named Whut?, and he annihlated Melee1 in a set, then annihalated Bwett. He plays DDD lawlz.

This guy is really good tho, I think he's gonna go pro for our crew ^.^

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
how does crews work. is it like another name for a small city guild, or clan. and what do you do, crew battles?

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice

Things will not be setup till about 6-6:30 but your welcome to showup early and hookup in the back if you have a system..

Also everyone remember we need Wii's we have 10 TVs but not that many wiis, PLEASE BRING A WII if you can!

Matt

Bwett

Smash Ace
Things will not be setup till about 6-6:30 but your welcome to showup early and hookup in the back if you have a system..

Also everyone remember we need Wii's we have 10 TVs but not that many wiis, PLEASE BRING A WII if you can!

Matt
This time I actually will be showing up late, but I'll have my wii for use :) (I hope you can hold our doubles matches until I show up if that's possible) pweeeeze

Yeah Fogo, he totally ***** Melee1, teh pwnzorz lol, but with me...I just can't use yoshi online...that's my john...and I wasn't taking it seriously...and my grandma...her leg...amputation rofl ;)

Shuz, crews are for crew battles. Think of like a 4 or 5 person guild, where you fight other crews. Each crew 3 stocks per person. 1v1, whoever wins faces the next person in the crew with the amount of stock he had left when he won. So technically, a single person can take out a crew, which btw, Fogo, are we making a crew? Totally want to do it and play BKM lol

z Skittles z

Smash Rookie
This time I actually will be showing up late, but I'll have my wii for use :) (I hope you can hold our doubles matches until I show up if that's possible) pweeeeze

Yeah Fogo, he totally ***** Melee1, teh pwnzorz lol, but with me...I just can't use yoshi online...that's my john...and I wasn't taking it seriously...and my grandma...her leg...amputation rofl ;)

Shuz, crews are for crew battles. Think of like a 4 or 5 person guild, where you fight other crews. Each crew 3 stocks per person. 1v1, whoever wins faces the next person in the crew with the amount of stock he had left when he won. So technically, a single person can take out a crew, which btw, Fogo, are we making a crew? Totally want to do it and play BKM lol
This is Melee 1
He did not **** me. On the 1st game I it came to the very last stock and the damage was like 130 and I barely lost. The second game I two stocked dave. On the third game nana suicided like twice and it still came to the very last hit. He BARELY won the set. If anyone got ***** "NO OFFENSE" it was me ****** you for like 5 hours straight. You should include that in your post. Oh and if you dont mind edit the post above and man up to the ownage you recieved

Wilma

Smash Rookie
I'd say this seems fair:

3 stock @ 7 minutes. Best of 3 for normal rounds, best of 5 for losers and winners finals, best of 7 for grand finals. Players may ban 1 stage of their choice at the beginning of the match.

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Luigi's Mansion
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Skyworld
Brinstar (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Ban the rest. There is often confusion about whether Shadow Moses is allowed, but the general consensus from the people I've played with is that it is banned.
That seems pretty close to correct, but I'm pretty sure the counter-pick list needs more refinement. Like, for example, why is Lylat Cruise not nuetral? Just because it's half Yoshi's Island and half Batttlefield makes it a counter pick? And Skyworld is some serious bull-crap, those one-hit spike kills are pretty silly. And what gives any validity to Rainbow Cruise and Green Greens? And where is P. Stadium 2? Where is the line drawn for enviromental hazards in this game?

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
SO I've heard, from Bwett... So I could be very wrong.

And funny you mention, my crew has a player in NY named Whut?, and he annihlated Melee1 in a set, then annihalated Bwett. He plays DDD lawlz.

This guy is really good tho, I think he's gonna go pro for our crew ^.^
yeah i've heard of him ^_^

i don't take online seriously though, melee1 can't chaingrab as well with the lag, and bwett well idk what to say for him lol

if he ever comes to texas i'll gladly show him "whut's up" lol

:chuckle: you know, play on words... -looks at ground-

yeah, i'm still deciding who i could stand to be in it, it's right now though fersure.

let's recruit today :-D

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice
-- For larger tournaments pool play should precede double elimination bracket play.

Can someone tell me what this means and how it works ??

Thanks,
Matt

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
basically it weeds out the best of the pools so brackets won't be forever.

everybody in the pool plays eachother in 1 set, and who ever has the most wins gets the top place and so on and so forth. And the top 4 make it out i think, not quite sure how they do that part.

oh and pools are randomly seeded.

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice
So large they mean 128+ players or 512?

And how many pools should there be, how big should they be?

Like if you had 128 people - pools? (32 pools of 4?, 16 pools of 8?, top 4 of what? each pool?) sorry just do not get it yet..

Matt

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion

haha sounds like you guys had fun, you know you could've used a DDD though ^_^

and doh is teaming with wobbles tomorrow??
Actually Wobbles was supposed to be teaming with my friend Lock, but I have been informed by the Robblewobble that he is stuck at an airport halfway across the state and won't be able to make it tonight. Lame-o.

That seems pretty close to correct, but I'm pretty sure the counter-pick list needs more refinement. Like, for example, why is Lylat Cruise not nuetral? Just because it's half Yoshi's Island and half Batttlefield makes it a counter pick? And Skyworld is some serious bull-crap, those one-hit spike kills are pretty silly. And what gives any validity to Rainbow Cruise and Green Greens? And where is P. Stadium 2? Where is the line drawn for enviromental hazards in this game?
I don't like Lylat being Neutral because the stage shifts, which causes issues with some character's strategies (lasers, chain grabs, etc) and I've seen more than one person die due to the stage shift. I could see Skyworld getting banned because people generally don't like it, but getting knocked up against the ceiling is something you can tech so it's not that big of an issue. Rainbow Cruise and Green Greens were counterpickable in Melee (IIRC), so I threw them up there. The ice and the wind on Pokemon Stadium 2 make it banned IMO; the ice makes it incredibly easy to chain throw with some characters and you can get caught in the middle of a slide if you try and slow down on it giving them a free hit, the wind also makes it really easy to kill people off the top and on top of all that the conveyor belts are a nightmare.

Can't really draw any sort of actual line for the environmental issues; I made that post based on instinct and experience mostly.

yeah i've heard of him ^_^

i don't take online seriously though, melee1 can't chaingrab as well with the lag, and bwett well idk what to say for him lol

if he ever comes to texas i'll gladly show him "whut's up" lol

:chuckle: you know, play on words... -looks at ground-

yeah, i'm still deciding who i could stand to be in it, it's right now though fersure.

let's recruit today :-D
Dude, my sense of humor is rubbing off on you! Somebody stop this man before every joke makes the room go dead quiet!

Also, let me know what's up with the crew thing.

Top Bottom