• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plusle and Minun, anyone?

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Lol! Who would want P&M in Brawl? Seriously!!?? There are way more deserving Pokemon then those two mice.

Tera253

Smash Ace
Ahhh... the Pichu Bros. sounds good enough. There is no such thing as too many electric rats. Pikachu will always be the best in Smash Bros.
~Tera253~

EDIT: oh, and here's something else: if one of your 'Pichus' dies, you take control of the other one, in correspondence with Baton Pass, etc.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
Ahhh... the Pichu Bros. sounds good enough. There is no such thing as too many electric rats. Pikachu will always be the best in Smash Bros.
~Tera253~
Pichu Bros. were even in SSBM in a sense (remember that Event 48); you only used one of them if you see it that way. There's not much sense in having a Pichu instead of Plusle & Minun when the latter have become mascots of Pokémon like Yang has very well said. A pair of Pichus would make the game too repetitive and out of date.

Replacing Pichu with Plusle & Minun would be a good idea, because Pichu has not so many movies or games backing it up anymore (it's not Pikachu with Pichu in banners and alternate media anymore; it's Pikachu with Plusle & Minun now), Pichu is annoying and hard to control to many people, and the abundance of Electric-type Pokémon would be kept (not reduced, not increased, but kept). It's safe to think the number of Pokémon will increase for SSBB, being Pokémon an important and popular franchise and being 40 or more the alleged number of total characters. For those (like me) that dislike having a character that similar to Pikachu, Plusle & Minun would be quite different and don't need to use the exact same moves as Pikachu. Probably the only one that would be hard to think as different than Pikachu's would be Quick Attack and probably Skull Bash (this one replaced by Spark).

These are screenshots of just a few of many banners and artworks made by Nintendo up to these days since the release of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire:

They use them a lot. A lot, a lot. Flash sites, non-Flash ones, newsletter footers, etc.

Lol! Who would want P&M in Brawl? Seriously!!?? There are way more deserving Pokemon then those two mice.
"Deserving" might be a too subjective thing. You can see it from the owners' point of view, from knowledger's point of view, from the fans' point of view, from Pokémon despisers' point of view, and from SSB gamers point of view.

• Owners may want to select Pokémon characters in many ways. One of these ways may be showing the different concepts and game modes Pokémon has used in its long history. Double Battle moves, Double Battle abilities, and Pika-friends that are different from the rest fit in here. The huge number of banners, advertisements, cameos, etc. show Plusle & Minun as characters that are as iconic of Pokémon as Pikachu; they're almost hinted as possible partners to Pikachu in Nintendo-wide crossovers like the Super Smash Bros. series.
  • Nintendo historians will also want characters that were relevant or peculiar enough. Eevee, Sudowoodo, Kecleon, etc., all of them had unique features in them. Plusle & Minun are two of them, too, as they are known to depend on each other to become more powerful like some people have pointed out in this thread.
  • Fans will only want their favorite Pokémon appearing in the game. Be it Dunsparce, Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, whatever. Plusle and Minun are just two between 493 pocket monsters in that sense.
  • SSB gamers (which I guess you all are) will want more variety. Visually, Plusle and Minun don't give a huge innovation, but their quality as fighters can be worked out... What if Plusle & Minun are used as a tag team whose leader can be switched during battle? Between Plusle and Minun, there's one of them who is more offensive than defensive in stats and vice-versa; this would be sort of like a Zelda/Shiek transformation and you'll even be able to use both creatures' damage percentage, which would somewhat innovate the standards of the game series.
  • Some SSB gamers (the ones that worry less about Nintendo history than about the game's finest) will also prefer keeping Pokémon like Jigglypuff in the game just because it's a good fighter.
  • Pokémon despisers just don't like Pokémon.
Which do you think matters the most?

Plusle & Minun could have pioneered tag teams if only they had appeared before SSBM, which didn't happen. They don't have to be seen as "other Ice Climbers"; they fit in the concept too naturally to be referred to as "clones". Granted, they look like Pikachu, but it's a logical pair of "Pikachus".

The idea of having them as costumes for Pichu is horrible, BTW. They're different to Pichu anatomically (in size, weight, and handicaps), and in any case, Pichu Bros. should be the costumes for Plusle & Minun instead. The idea of giving them a moveset equal to Pikachu's and Pichu's sucks, too, from every point of view.

The fact that they are electric rodents also seems like a hindrance to me. But let's not let our hatred for Pichu (a character who did damage to Pokémon's image indeed) influence this sensible idea.

I'm aware this is a "what if" kind of thread and not a support one; at least I'm using it that way, because it's more mentally healthy to talk realistically than in a biased fashion. I'm not a Plusle & Minun fanatic, but a gamer and knowledger of Pokémon. Plusle & Minun have medium-to-high chances of making it to SSBB evidently. If some Pokémon character was actually competing with Plusle & Minun to become playable in SSBB, that one is Pachirisu.

This is yet another electric rodent we might even see having its chances increased if Nintendo decides to show it as the star of the upcoming 10th Pikachu short next year in Japan. With so many electric rodents other than Pikachu, it's only natural to think (or "fear" if you dislike the idea) that at least one of them can make it to the Pokémon sub-roster. Don't you guys be surprised at them actually appearing in the game. Just pray that Pichu is removed (or don't, it's so obvious, it's not necessary).

Why Pokémon has so many electric rodents as mascots? Well, this is hard to state by including Pachirisu, but for the rest of them, they have been used to represent milestone concepts from the Pokémon game series. Raichu was introduced to illustrate the Pokémon evolutions in the first generation. Pichu was introduced to illustrate the very important mechanics of Pokémon Eggs and breeding in second generation. Plusle & Minun came to represent the novelty of Pokémon Abilities and Double Battles, something that had not been introduced until the third generation of Pokémon games came out. I like the comparison Yang just made to Mario, Luigi and Wario, because it's all about similar looks and different styles; we'll have to blame it on HAL's policies of making clones for SSBM and not on mice/bunnies/squirrels with round cheeks.

Nobody said Plusle & Minun would lower Lucario's chances of appearing in SSBB. Lucario will be there, you'll see. He'd be considered before Plusle and Minun would, of course. Without fear I must say he's the one with the most chances around.

McFox, this idea is not that stupid; maybe you just don't like it. It's just realistic instead.

The pictures (and many of the ideas) shown in this post were also shown by myself in another message board with more dedication to the details and mechanics of guessed movesets called Smash Bros. Land. Feel free to see my proposal here, which was made as much objectively as possible.

Yang, feel free to use them in your first post to make your point clearer, and congratulations for the idea (or "perception of reality"?) despite so many rejections.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
hmmm.... despite the facts that they are mascots and all, they are still just electric rats. there are 2 factors of characters being in brawl: their significance outside of the SSB communtiy and their popularity in the SSB community. people obviosuly dont want any more electric rats. P&M may have some chances in 1 of their factors, but the only reason they are getting any support in their second factor is because of their first factor, and it isnt helping them much anyway.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
Wow, I see your still speaking for everyone with your opinion. . . .
(No use in agruing with you, you don't seem to learn from your misstakes. . . )
its not my opinion. its a fact. do i need to make a poll or something? "do you want any more electric rat pokemon characters in brawl?"?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Pichu is "widely hated" because he is a clone who hurts himself. . . NOT because he is another Pika but because he is seen as a useless clone that hurts it's self.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
As cool as it sounds, having a double would make IC's have absolutely nothing special about them. So sadly, no
It does sound cool, but what is wrong with having another pair? ICs use hammers
and that is unique. I think there should at least be 1-3 more double characters.

I think bub & Bob would be more intresting than plusle & minum. I wouldn't mind
seeing them though nice replacement for pichu.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
this idea is a bad one. pulsie and minum are pikachus. pichu is a pikachu, and we don't need more pikachus!

PIKACHUS pikachu pikjkachu, they need to add the cool pokemon and not more stinking wangallypoos

they should leave pikachu, jiggs, and mewtwo in, kill pichu, and add deoxys and some fire-ice-grass-ghost type.

Citrussed

Smash Journeyman
Yes I know, big bump.

Why not get rid of Pichu (even though I love him *cough*) and replace him with the Plusle & Minun Duo? And whats with everyone saying they are TWO Pikachu clones? Even though there ARE two of them, have you noticed that they will only take up ONE character slot. Not two but one. So literally its like a little 'upgrade' or 're-vamp' for Pichu.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Pichu is "widely hated" because he is a clone who hurts himself. . . NOT because he is another Pika but because he is seen as a useless clone that hurts it's self.
Pichu is hated because it hurts itself and is basically a downgraded Pickachu (no offense to Pichu fans). I personally wouldn't want them, especailly because if we have two teaming characters (no irony intended), we'll have 6.

Then it will kill the formula that only the IC themselves should have. If they had a good moveset i wouldn't mind them being in, but overusing that formula would be bad. Plus (haha) other Pokemon (Lucario, Deoxys, Blazekein, etc.) are far more wanted.

Since they could overuse the team characters, Raichu (yae!) is prefered. I dunno, IMO Blastoise is still the best Pokemon=no questions asked. :009:

I'm just afraid that the team fighting system IC will virtual make them non retro and make another crazy clone episode That and they virtually are based off Pickachu. But hey that is just my two cents. :cool:

krystalshouldbeinbrawl

Smash Rookie
It's a good idea, but the only way I could see this happening is if Pichu was replaced by them, and it seems very unlikely that they will remove any characters to my knowledge.
Well, they are kicking out iceclimbers and Mr. Game and Watch, so a plusle/minun duo would be an awesome choice in my opinion! Of course, only if they intend to have another Duo player.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
This has probably been mentioned before.. but wouldn't they just be clones of Pichu?

Seriously, they look way too identical to Pichu. >_> Even as doubles they are still, just that... Too similar to Pichu. Even if Pichu is removed, they're too similar to Pikachu. XD

and you know what? It's really pissing me off when people say that characters are being kicked out. You can assume, but don't go around saying it's facts until it is proved a fact.

Black/Light

Smash Master
sigh
No, they wouldn't be Pichu clones. Pichu is a clone of Pika which was a character designed to be one character, not a 2 member team character. Having them be Pika clone is like having 2 pikas being controled at once. . .moving together as a team. (Broken)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
sigh
No, they wouldn't be Pichu clones. Pichu is a clone of Pika which was a character designed to be one character, not a 2 member team character. Having them be Pika clone is like having 2 pikas being controled at once. . .moving together as a team. (Broken)
Yes, I figured they would be two Pikachu clones that had "team" electric moves that are very similar to Pikachu's.

I mean, they look similar, and they're both electric Pokemon with similar attacks. What can you do?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Its INTERESTING.. But the double spots should be saved for characters that actually work together and would make sense.. Not like two pokemon that look a like be together...

Lets throw in Magnaton and say its a triple character :p

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yes, I figured they would be two Pikachu clones that had "team" electric moves that are very similar to Pikachu's.

I mean, they look similar, and they're both electric Pokemon with similar attacks. What can you do?
Why would they go and waste all that time trying to make them a clone of Pika that aint broken when they have a crap load of other thunder attacks to choose from that are unique and freash?

And OnyxVulpine, P&M where MADE to work together as said in the game. They are mascots for the 2-on-2 battles that came in the 3rd gen.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
And for people who think that being unique starters is a good enough reason for Pokémon to become playable in SSB, Plusle and Minun are starters in the side game Pokémon Ranger.

Merchandise and the anime itself give Plusle & Minun the spot Pichu had in the past. Banners from third generation include Plusle & Minun heavily. Plusle & Minun are like "sequels" to Pichu.

The only thing that could beat Plusle & Minun as conceptual replacements for Pichu is Pachirisu.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
Plusle & Minun for Pokéball!!!
That implies another point, and it's that only one Pokémon can appear from one Poké Ball. Would that mean that SSB needs now a Double Poké Ball item? If you remember from the Items page at Smash Bros. DOJO!!, Poké Balls and Assist Trophies are separated from "Normal Items". You could think of various other summoning items from Nintendo universe, and a double Poké Ball could become a new category or sub-category of items.

Plusle and Minun don't make much sense as separated characters.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
If there are going to be any duo characters besides ICs, it should be Diddy/Dixie or nothing at all. Pichu was a mistake.

How 'bout no Pokemon? How about better characters?
That's pretty dumb. First, they are one of the biggest profits for Nintendo franchise-wise; so they deserve their share. Second, they can have some of the most unique attacks, so long as you pick some decent ont.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
That implies another point, and it's that only one Pokémon can appear from one Poké Ball. Would that mean that SSB needs now a Double Poké Ball item? If you remember from the Items page at Smash Bros. DOJO!!, Poké Balls and Assist Trophies are separated from "Normal Items". You could think of various other summoning items from Nintendo universe, and a double Poké Ball could become a new category or sub-category of items.

Plusle and Minun don't make much sense as separated characters.
oohhh, thnx, I havent seen it that way o.o
well, I have no problem if Minun & Plusle make it in Brawl, while they were Pichu's replacement AND they have a different moveset of that of Pikachu
Anyway, I put all my poke-hope on Lucario

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
Diddy and Dixie were never that much of a tag team... Those physics-defying movements in DKC2 and DKC3 were just the mechanics of the game to reach shortcuts, bonus places, and secret items, and you could skip them if you wanted to. Plus they can fight on their own with their weapons, rolls, hair, etc.

Even Ice Climbers weren't as coupled as Plusle & Minun. Popo and Nana are rivals of sorts, as they compete for reaching the top of the mountain (the player who is left below is the one that loses a live, and not all of the team). On the other hand, Plusle and Minun do need each other to have a meaning.

I'm not saying at all that Ice Climbers have to be replaced, though.

McShine

Smash Rookie
If there are going to be any duo characters besides ICs, it should be Diddy/Dixie or nothing at all. Pichu was a mistake.

That's pretty dumb. First, they are one of the biggest profits for Nintendo franchise-wise; so they deserve their share. Second, they can have some of the most unique attacks, so long as you pick some decent ont.
The Grim lizard makes a valiant point here, The Pokemon franchise "blew up" profits for nintendo putting them on top for quit some time so therefore, I feel they need there time and glory in the game. Along with some really cool attacks and special graphical appearances it makes the game all of more better =]

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
What the heck is your point? P&M still aren't going to be in the game.
Hehe, my point is that this is possible. Discussing this is a game of bets actually, as we don't know what is/was inside Sakurai's head. I'm only stating why this could happen.

The most obvious flaw is that they're "yet more electric rodents", and I won't deny it. But what if Sakurai needs to replace Pichu, and at the same time they add at least one more Pokémon slot, for a total of at least one more newcomer Pokémon? Would it still be bad?

Top Bottom