• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plusle and Minun, anyone?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hehe, my point is that this is possible. Discussing this is a game of bets actually, as we don't know what is/was inside Sakurai's head. I'm only stating why this could happen.

The most obvious flaw is that they're "yet more electric rodents", and I won't deny it. But what if Sakurai needs to replace Pichu, and at the same time they add at least one more Pokémon slot, for a total of at least one more newcomer Pokémon? Would it still be bad?
I think they should replace Pichu with a more unique Pokemon... Like an ice type or something.

Still, I'm obsessed with ice. I might be biased. XD

the grim lizard

Smash Master
He'll replace Pichu with Lucario or a completely different type of Pokemon. He's not going to replace Pichu with two Pichus... >_<

Pichu was just added because they needed more characters, and he had some popularity in Japan. Since they have a lot more time to actually pick the Pokemon they want in, there will be no more Pichus. There just won't. I'm sure of it...as sure as I am about Waluigi NOT being a PC: 99.9%, where the .1% is if Sakurai has a complete mental breakdown in which case Armageddon would come anyway and kill us all; so I wouldn't care about the worthless characters in Brawl.

I think they should replace Pichu with a more unique Pokemon... Like an ice type or something.

Still, I'm obsessed with ice. I might be biased. XD
Personally, I'd like to see a water-type.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I once hated the idea of having Plusle and Minun as playable characters.

I still do.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Johans Nidorino is most likely right imo. If they replace Pichu it will be P&M or Pach that takes his spot.

Plus, they are the true 3rd gen mascots:p.

Some of you may not like the thought of Pichu being replaced by OMGZ, more Pika rips but it's foolish to out right say that it wont happen:ohwell:. They are actually pretty likely. . . imo alot more likely than Lucario.

Stryks

Smash Hero
They are actually pretty likely. . . imo alot more likely than Lucario.
Are you kidding me? Lucario has one of the best chance to be a new character, not to mention hes from the newest gen, and come on like that makes sense... oh wait u want blaziken do you? ah ok now I get it XD

Black/Light

Smash Master
How so? I could get into a long post showing how they are the 3rd gen mascots and post pics of all their crap but I see no need too. . .right now

This idea is gay, and it will forever remain that way. Wow. . . that sounded ********.

I don't even need to explain.
And to the other one. . . explain yourself.

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
Yes for numerous reasons:

1. They are mascots for double battling - a new play mode new since Melee.
2.They are mascots of the third gen of Pokemon games, which do not have a playable representative yet. Deoxys was a popular one, but is stuck in a Pokeball leaving another popular choice - Blaziken. Blaziken would be cool, but if it doesn't make it in it will be because its a starter Pokemon which are usually in Pokeballs, leaving Pluse&Minun.
3. Hopefully wouldn't replace any one, but possibly would take out Pichu or Ice climbers, but not both.

Oh, hey Black/Light. Its pit-fall from SPPf. You probably don't remember me.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
Yes for numerous reasons:

1. They are mascots for double battling - a new play mode new since Melee.
2.They are mascots of the third gen of Pokemon games, which do not have a playable representative yet. Deoxys was a popular one, but is stuck in a Pokeball leaving another popular choice - Blaziken. Blaziken would be cool, but if it doesn't make it in it will be because its a starter Pokemon which are usually in Pokeballs, leaving Pluse&Minun.
3. Hopefully wouldn't replace any one, but possibly would take out Pichu or Ice climbers, but not both.
I agree, I think M&P have chances, and u said the reasons

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
Hammer Bros. Pikachu Style.

Do we really need two Pikachu based characters TOGETHER?

And Pikachu was a nightmare..

If Pikachu was gone..
then it'd be awesome.
Yes, we do. Just to show you it wouldn't be a pika-clone, heres some moves:

B - Spark: The leader (plusle or minun) surges with electricity for a short while that hurts when you touch it. Your partner holds on tight to your tail as you run around at lightning speed. I would do less damage when your counterpart has fallen due to you don't have anyone to charge you up.
<B> - ??? Suggestions?
^B - Helping Hand: Your companion hurls in the direction you aim in an electrical frenzy that hurts foes unlucky enough to be in the way.
vB - Charge: A miniature round flash of lightning electrifies enemies around. Does considerably less damage without partner.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Plus, they are the true 3rd gen mascots:p.
I wouldn't count on that. I've seen other 3rd Gen. Pokemon a lot more than these guys. I haven't even known them until I decided to go to Serebii.net one day.

Some of you may not like the thought of Pichu being replaced by OMGZ, more Pika rips but it's foolish to out right say that it wont happen:ohwell:. They are actually pretty likely. . . imo alot more likely than Lucario.
Lucario is easily more popular and more well-known than those Pichu rip-offs. Even Deoxys (who's now a NPC) has a bigger fanbase than them.

NukeA6

Smash Master

B - Spark: The leader (plusle or minun) surges with electricity for a short while that hurts when you touch it. Your partner holds on tight to your tail as you run around at lightning speed. I would do less damage when your counterpart has fallen due to you don't have anyone to charge you up.
<B> - ??? Suggestions?
^B - Helping Hand: Your companion hurls in the direction you aim in an electrical frenzy that hurts foes unlucky enough to be in the way.
vB - Charge: A miniature round flash of lightning electrifies enemies around. Does considerably less damage without partner.
How about we just throw in Electabuzz or just another Pokemon instead of another electric rat?

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
How about we just throw in Electabuzz or just another Pokemon instead of another electric rat?
Well lets explore this. Electabuzz is not at all as popular as P&M, also Electabuzz and other eletrical Pokemon wouldn't bring as much to the game as P&M - yes they resemble Pika/Pi chu but have the potential to be very different.

Also, they are a tag team that would actually rely on each other(unlike Ice climbers and Diddy and Dixie). Not only with the move Helping Hand, but even there abilities (Plus and Minus, respectively) power each other up, and without there partner the leader would be considerably weaker.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I wouldn't count on that. I've seen other 3rd Gen. Pokemon a lot more than these guys. I haven't even known them until I decided to go to Serebii.net one day.
Soo? I didn't know wtf a Deoxy was until I saw it being talked about on smash sites:ohwell:. If you want I can actually PROVE that P&M had WAY more marketing than any other 3rd gen pokemon. . .

Lucario is easily more popular and more well-known than those Pichu rip-offs. Even Deoxys (who's now a NPC) has a bigger fanbase than them.
1. What context are you talking about? Normal people, smash fans or pokemon fans? Normal people probly wouldn't know what Lucario/ Deoxy was. They would most likely look at P&M and say "Oh, it's one of those Pikachu things". Normal people would most likely remember the 1-2 gens the most and if something looks like Pika than they will remember Pika and connect the dots ("it must be like Pikachu because they look alike"). Normal people probly wouldn't know wth Lucario or Deoxy are. . .
Smash fans and Pokemon fans probly know who they are greatly. I mean, just go to the Nsider forums and type "P&M" and people will know just who your talking about.
So yeah, I would assume that P&M are well known amoung Nintendo fans or atleast amoung normal people because of how much they look like Pika.
(And thier Pika rips. . . they aint baby mons so they aint Pichu rips.

2. "Im not interested in having a game full of popular characters" is something along the lines of what Sakurai said. Just look at Deoxys. . . he OPENED the intro to Deoxy with "Now, this is a popular character". He knew dam well Deoxy was a popular character and balled him so that point is moot.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Plusle&Minun don't have that big a fanbase in the US, but in Japan they are one of the most wanted characters for Brawl.
The funny thing is that you say that they're one of the most wanted characters in Brawl yet they didn't even appear in the poll. You best have some source on that one. Just remember I never said Lucario was one of the most wanted. I only said he's one of the most popular Pokemon.

Well lets explore this. Electabuzz is not at all as popular as P&M, also Electabuzz and other eletrical Pokemon wouldn't bring as much to the game as P&M - yes they resemble Pika/Pi chu but have the potential to be very different.
Electabuzz not as popular? Agreed. He won't bring much? Wrong.

What is so different between two electric rats being played as a tag-team? That's no different from playing as two Pichus.

Also, they are a tag team that would actually rely on each other(unlike Ice climbers and Diddy and Dixie). Not only with the move Helping Hand, but even there abilities (Plus and Minus, respectively) power each other up, and without there partner the leader would be considerably weaker.
I still see no difference from playing as two Pichus.

Ice Climbers don't rely on each other? They need to be together to play effectively and to even perform a third jump. Playing as a lone Ice Climber is like a cutting a character in half.

Soo? I didn't know wtf a Deoxy was until I saw it being talked about on smash sites:ohwell:. If you want I can actually PROVE that P&M had WAY more marketing than any other 3rd gen pokemon. . .
Go ahead.

1. What context are you talking about? Normal people, smash fans or pokemon fans? Normal people probly wouldn't know what Lucario/ Deoxy was. They would most likely look at P&M and say "Oh, it's one of those Pikachu things". Normal people would most likely remember the 1-2 gens the most and if something looks like Pika than they will remember Pika and connect the dots ("it must be like Pikachu because they look alike"). Normal people probly wouldn't know wth Lucario or Deoxy are. . .
Smash fans and Pokemon fans probly know who they are greatly
Obviously, Pokemon fans. I don't know anyone who doesn't like Pokemon would even like a certain poke (besides myself).

(And thier Pika rips. . . they aint baby mons so they aint Pichu rips.
You admit that they are a rip-off. Either way, this game only needs one electric rat. If Plusle and Minun were cats, this would be different.

2. "Im not interested in having a game full of popular characters" is something along the lines of what Sakurai said. Just look at Deoxys. . . he OPENED the intro to Deoxy with "Now, this is a popular character". He knew dam well Deoxy was a popular character and balled him so that point is moot.
That's why Pichu has the possibility of being booted despite his popularity in Japan. And I'm sure Sakurai is more interested in unique characters. Plusle and Minun aren't one of them. Like you said, they're just Pika rips.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers don't rely on each other? They need to be together to play effectively and to even perform a third jump. Playing as a lone Ice Climber is like a cutting a character in half.
He means their origins. Of course Ice Climbers rely on each other, but that's SSBM.

<B> - ??? Suggestions?
That Helping Hand of yours sounds good.

Baton Pass could make you switch the leader of the tag team so that you have two possible stat sets (remember that their in-game stats are different). That way it could be a Down + B move.

Black/Light

Smash Master
OK nuke, you got it. . . .
http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/pplusle.jpg
http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/pminun.jpg
Pokemon Palm Monsters: P&M are the ONLY other pokemon to get Pokemon Palm Monsters talking toys. The only others Pika from what I know.

http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/slumbersleepingbag.jpg
Sleeping bag with Pika.

http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/6inchpokemonplushhandbags.jpg
6in hanging hand bags.

http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_ds/pokemonbag.jpg
DS light bag

http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_ds/smartpouchliteplusminus.jpg
DS light huster (No Pika on this one)

http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_ds/mascottouchpendspikaplas.jpg
http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_ds/mascottouchpendslite_pikachukaiooga.jpg (on the case)
http://www.angolz.com/usercontrols/images/img.aspx?
http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.70108.001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/egamestar/DS/pluspen.jpg
These are all DS/DS light Pokemon stylus

http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7e/9e/1ab9_1.JPG
http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/7e/9d/e1ef_1.JPG
http://i18.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7e/9d/e7ca_1.JPG
http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/82/8a/7689_1.JPG (Pika and P&M are the only ones that got this)
Pika/ P&M pull back cars

http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/agdoityourselfclock.jpg
Pika/ P&M clock. . .

http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/drawstringpouches.jpg
More bags. . .

And for now last (but surely not least) Pokemon Rangers

The game where you start off as a young beginning pokemon ranger and depinning on your gender you get either a PLUSLE OR MINUN to be you pokemon pal and help you in many ways. From charging up your ranger stylus when it's low to acting as your thunder type when your in a pinch.
This game uses P&M as it's mascots/ reps/ main pokemon because Pokemon Rangers have to work together as a team (with either pokemon or each other) inorder to get the job done.

There. A crap load of P&M things to look at and I dare you to say that aint heavy advertizement:dizzy:.

Sugoi

Smash Apprentice
Evene WITH a moveset, what makes them so deserving to be in brawl? thats right, they aren't...
I agree, they are still kinda new and not that popular as far as I'm concerned. I would not mind seeing them pop out of pokeballs and do some cool double attacks but no way are they worthy to be playable characters out of all the other choices.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
I agree, they are still kinda new and not that popular as far as I'm concerned. I would not mind seeing them pop out of pokeballs and do some cool double attacks but no way are they worthy to be playable characters out of all the other choices.
Do you mean both of them from their own Poké Balls? If so, I wonder what would be different between a Poké Ball Plusle and a Poké Ball Minun... Can positive and negative electric jolts be differentiated by colors or something?

BTW, they're from year 2003.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Good idea!

I really like the playstyle that double characters have to offer, massive power, but fragile and gimped if you mess up :o

Might be a new pogeymanz addition, I would hope so, but not before lucario.

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
That Helping Hand of yours sounds good.

Baton Pass could make you switch the leader of the tag team so that you have two possible stat sets (remember that their in-game stats are different). That way it could be a Down + B move.
That would be pretty cool actually. If memory serves correct Minun has higher Defence while Plusle has better Attack.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I think i cant see them in brawl any other way than them being a pair. team, duo, whatever. I cant picture throwing a pokeball and only plusle comes out. then throw another one and minun comes out by itself. they just seem right as a pair I actually dont mind them really. we all know Jiggs Pikachu and mewtwo is a lock. expect two more pokemon. one will replace Pichu and one will be new. starter pokemon have always been in a pokeball and i like blaziken but i think thats where it's going too. I doubt there gonna break that tradition for blaziekn and leave almighty charizard and balstoise in a pokeball..so who else is in line from ruby/saphire certainly not that ugly dna thing Deoxys. I think people are mad that yes we will be getting a ruby/saphire rep and no it wont be Deoxys. i'd be angry too if I debated for someone to be in brawl and they were reduced to nothing but a pokeball. shoot.

at first I was like there's no chance for these two. but after I realized Pichu was getting the boot,i was presented with all this infromation, and ugly Deoxys got pokeballed it seems more likely. who from the 3rd gen should get in again? please tell me.zangoose? huh? c'mon now. alot of people made good points as to why they should be added. you'd think people on here would say maybe they have a chance with all the evidence presented to them but goes to show how close minded and fanboyish some people are on here.

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
I think i cant see them in brawl any other way than them being a pair. team, duo, whatever. I cant picture throwing a pokeball and only plusle comes out. then throw another one and minun comes out by itself. they just seem right as a pair I actually dont mind them really. we all know Jiggs Pikachu and mewtwo is a lock. expect two more pokemon. one will replace Pichu and one will be new. starter pokemon have always been in a pokeball and i like blaziken but i think thats where it's going too. I doubt there gonna break that tradition for blaziekn and leave almighty charizard and balstoise in a pokeball..so who else is in line from ruby/saphire certainly not that ugly dna thing Deoxys. I think people are mad that yes we will be getting a ruby/saphire rep and no it wont be Deoxys. i'd be angry too if I debated for someone to be in brawl and they were reduced to nothing but a pokeball. shoot.

at first I was like there's no chance for these two. but after I realized Pichu was getting the boot,i was presented with all this infromation, and ugly Deoxys got pokeballed it seems more likely. who from the 3rd gen should get in again? please tell me.zangoose? huh? c'mon now. alot of people made good points as to why they should be added. you'd think people on here would say maybe they have a chance with all the evidence presented to them but goes to show how close minded and fanboyish some people are on here.
With your points it sounds Like:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Plusle & Minun
Lucario

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
With your points it sounds Like:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Plusle & Minun
Lucario
I often use this as signature in other message boards. It's from the 2007 Pokémon Calendar, which shows 5 of those 6 characters.

Lucario is on it, probably because he was the star of the most recent movie in America at that point.

And Plusle and Minun are there, too, though I wonder if that's only because Pachirisu hadn't been officially revealed in America at that point.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
I think I got the following one from a semi-official Pokémon site (Pokémon Kids, but I'm not sure whether that's the one)

It has Mew in the background in the original picture, so it's somewhat commemorative of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking, and that Baton Pass thing just won't do. If your partner falls off the stage and you don't, your down two B moves, one of which being Helping Hand, there signature move which they'll probably have.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
I was thinking, and that Baton Pass thing just won't do. If your partner falls off the stage and you don't, your down two B moves, one of which being Helping Hand, there signature move which they'll probably have.
You have a point there.

At least 3 B moves should be functional with or without your partner if they're going to be made like the Ice Climbers. Down + B, B, and Forward + B worked for Popo and Nana even when they were alone.

Before I saw your idea for Up + B, I was imagining it as their own version of Quick Attack in which they would attack while grabbing their hands.

If the idea of a lone Helping Hand for Up + B is more important than the idea of Baton Pass for Down + B, then maybe Baton Pass could be given a secondary effect that consists in damaging nearby foes electrically (think Fox's Reflector), especially when Plusle and Minun slap their hands to switch roles. And maybe it could even work if you don't have a partner to slap hands with. Of course I'm making up stuff... But that's all I can think of.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Um. None? Considering they are on the 4th generation...
Are you talking about Plusle and Minum?

I'm 100% sure they're 3rd generation. The last game I bought was Ruby and I remember thinking "WTF?" when Plusle or Minum whichever one of them appeared.

The "plus and minus" idea is kind of (note: kind of) cool, but why did they have to make them look like two Pichus?

Top Bottom