• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plz Critique My Falcon

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Yeah wut are u talking about? Anyways, any help with the ice climbers wobble? and how do I defend against their fsmash.

also having problems against peach in general. How do I stop a high level really good peach?

King Siegfried

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLuFqBf6os8

there are 8 parts to this eacha bout 3 minutes. I am playing siegfried not striker (my bro) this time.
Hey, Falcons ... yea I kinda havnt really existed on the smashboards vocally until now so I figured I'd go ahead and state that I was the Siegfried that Leviathan here was fighting in those earlier vids we made over the summer.

He and I have both gotten a lot better and the next time we get together we're gonna put up some of our matches in better quality (working on getting the stuff for that). We expect to make it over thanksgiving break, actually.
:)

But over Christmas Break or even next summer if anyone is in the area ... Poplar BLuff MO. ... we'd like you to come play us.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
welcome back siegfried. finally, someone of ur skill should always be on smashboards. Yeah, we're gonna have some ridiculous battles next time around. And yes, especially christmas break or summer break, WE NEED people who are good to play against. Any Pros or anyone really good is more than welcome to help is out in Poplar Bluff, MO

Scar

#HarveyDent
bumping your thread is cool but if you have a question like that you should prob just post it in the ask scar thread or the ask hax$ thread, someone will take care of you

you shouldn't be getting hit with ICs fsmash too much because you aren't approaching ICs ever, you're just running back and forth and camping platforms until they use a smash attack expecting you to approach, which you didn't, then you try to punish their lag

anyways i'll start typing in critiques etc as i notice things, but believe me they are going to be GENERAL, not specific, smash is a game that you need to understand for yourself before you can get better at it

also i recommend investing in some better recording equipment if you want people to watch your matches, it's hard to get through taped sets :)

first of all, youre going to want to work on your tech skill from here on out. just mess around vs the computer but HAVE SOMETHING IN MIND that you want to work on, whether it is better wavedash control, faster turnarounds, not popping your shield up so much after aerials, dashes out of l-cancels, whatever. just get faster, and focus on doing at least one thing per training session, and it can be as easy as making sure you cannot possibly dair any faster or making sure that you are running after your l-cancel as soon as is possible

second thing: learn how to combo, from a general point of view. not specific combos, just change your mentality into when you hit someone, you either CAN or CANNOT hit them again, and with what move. once you get fluid enough, you'll be able to combo everything as a second nature

but when i see **** like marth PERFECT combo DI 1:17 on the first set and you try to follow up bair with sh stomp, that's not what you want to be thinking, you see that you hit him with a bair so the first thing on your mind should be TURN, RUN, JUMP -- i would prob uair but hax would prob knee right there and go for the edgeguard, but you should at least be running and jumping at him to start/continue a combo, at high level play you aren't going to get very many hits so you better make them count

also don't just attack because you think you SHOULD be attacking, like forwardB is a great approach vs very bad players but you would do best to not rely on it and try to start things up with grabs and SPACED NAIRS (i say spaced because the sooner you start trying to hit people with nair but stay as far as possible from them, the better).

i KNOW you won't be doing as well vs your friend striker if you stop forwardBing, but believe me when i tell you it's better to take a step backwards to get better as a player. you honestly should never use fB unless you are positive that it's going to hit, or at the very least you're positive that you cannot be punished for missing.

learn how to recover, and by that i mean learn that double jumping as soon as possible and using an aerial to recover is a BAD idea, i still do it, it's tempting, but it sucks. also learn the upB vertical distance so you can sweetspot the ledge as best you can

learn how much hitstun stomp does. stomp to knee is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better than stomp to anything else.

7:00 comboing was pretty fun but fyi uthrow>nair does not work on marth, but it'll work if the marth doesn't know that. fulljump nairs were interesting but besides the first one i can't say i saw it going any further, so i'd advise fulljump uairs or just finishing with the knee rather than going up for the nair. just combo sense in general, what move links to what other move. that knowledge comes from studying / thinking about the game outside of matches, then what you decided works best just naturally integrates into your gameplay, so watch your own vids and decide what moves would have combod better than the ones you chose

set 2, dair nair knee was good but dair knee would prob have been better, it probably would have combod into knee again and if not the edgeguard is guaranteed, the nair is escapable there

don't feel bad about using the same combo twice too bc stock 2 you had dair nair knee easily but you went for that double nair, with experience you'll notice that double nairs generally don't work unless it's at very low %s and vs very specific (specifically bad) DI

2:13 dair knee, again yeah just make sure that dairs like that are ended with knee, there is SO MUCH hitstun on dair you don't have to worry about getting there quickly, just take your time, get there, and get the kill, another example of this @ 7:10ish, 8:25... correct this problem IMMEDIATELY. it's falcon 101.

5:10 fB uair bair knee was great because of the turn around dash sh knee at the end. those turnarounds are soo important and i'm glad you nailed that one -- that uair bair didn't actually combo though, it was the right move after the uair but again starting that combo with knee is just more reliable, just letting you know (even though i'd probably do some stupid long combo too)

falcon punch is great but 2 things about that:
1) you're not good enough to look like, were you to land a falcon punch, you had done it on purpose
2) each time you do that you're sacrificing an opportunity to learn how to edgeguard, which is an essential skill

anyways all in all you seem like you're doing well, i was impressed with your speed after landing and stuff, i take back what i said before about your raptor boost habit though--if you never forward B ever again it'll be too soon. relying on that move will ruin you in months to come. teach striker to just press the shield button when he sees your fist on fire, block it and then press A to grab. then you won't do it so much.

more general advice, just watch vids of pros doing the same ****, me vs azen was a cool set of me vs a great marth player, you can see what i mean about picking and choosing your approaches.

anyways good luck and pm me with specific questions, keep it up

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
But over Christmas Break or even next summer if anyone is in the area ... Poplar BLuff MO. ... we'd like you to come play us.
I'm in (not gonna tell public), MO, I COULD come play with you guys. I'd be a little rusty, seeing as how I don't have my Wii with me (and I haven't played for 2 months already), but if I can come visit and play you guys, I'd jump @ the chance.

Anyways, I can't say much about your Falcon, except that it cna be improved by a little less grabbing. I know Falcon's grab game is great, and sets up for aerial > knee combos, but you shouldn't rely on it. If they're shielding, pressure them with SHFFL'd Dairs or dashdance at a distance and bait them to you. It's most likely they'll be coming in from the air, but if not, you still have a chance with Spotdodge > Grab. If they come in from the air, your Nair should naturally have a bigger hitbox than their moves (we aren't counting Sheik's Bair, mmkay?) and thus, your combo is started!

That's all the advice and best/worst-case scenarios I can give ya. Hope it helps.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Alright Thanks A lot Scar... Your advice helps a lot and Veggiez we're gonna have a poplar bluff tournament at one of my friends house during thanksgiving so yeah you should come

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yo man, pretty good for 2 months............. There are a couple things you need to know: Melee is a relatively easy game on paper, but when it comes to actually doing stuff you see in vids there are always going to be f*ck ups. To minimize mess-ups you need to understand the game, and REMEMBER everything you know in a match. An example is wall techs, I can do them if I remember that I'm in a position to wall tech, but emotions usually get the better of me and I end up forgetting my options.

Once you start to get fluid with wavedashing and L-canceling (not shuffling really) then you're ready for the second and most important lesson for offensive play, assuming. It sounds dumb but assuming is a general thing when you get better at the game, an example is when you start to lose doubt when you're going to L-cancel a Dair since you've done it so many times, the next step is to assume that it hits, regardless if they shield or not and to THINK AHEAD. Half the problems with people trying to combo is that they don't know what combos, it's critical that you are conscious of your attack, and your opponents damage/weight/fast-falling speed. Once you get the feel of this, the game will become more clear

you're on your way! These are some "mental" barriers that helped my game evolve

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Ok thanks, I'll take that into account. Soon I am gonna have more vids up during thanksgiving break, and those are gonna be much more representative of my skill. (I think i've gotten a lot better since those :))

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Well, I stomp to knee more, and all my friends say its broken lol. BTW i try using the driver more discreetly, and I know you didn't tell me this part, but moonwalking is dam good for mindgames.

PS. I wish I could play you man, I just need to play really good people, whats the closest you;ve been to the midwest?

Scar

#HarveyDent
i went to SMYM in chicagoish and i went to E52 in kansas city

idk what the driver is lol i guess fB but yeah it sucks stop using it altogether, it's not a matter of it being obvious it's a matter of opponents eventually being able to react to it and punish you hard for it

ORLY

Smash Master
It's generally not the best idea. It's mostly unreliable and has a small % window to open up for decent combos / knees. More effective options would be to follow them with an aerial or another grab.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
stomp to knee is silly if it wont set up for an edgeguard or a kill.

Moooose

Smash Champion
no because then it sets up for a possible combo. those are like the only three options lol. no offense tarvvv

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Alright guys. Here are the long awaited vids. Their quality isn't great but its watchable for critique. This is what I have achieved in exactly one year guys. Umm... I have a marth almost as good as my cf, but he isn't quite as good and I use him as an alternate. Also, i really would like for you guys to watch ALL these videos. It won't take that long. You won't be able to get a good assessment of my skill, because for one, there were some goofy but funny matches I decided to leave in the videos. Second Some of the matches... well you'll c lol.

I would like any critique from anyone plz!? Remember this is me in exactly 1 year of playing this game. I got on smashboards at the same time as well. Once again, watching all 3 sets and every match (don't worry thier not real sets, just 3 matches is a set lol) is the only way to really assess my skill as the matches are quite varied.

Set 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zXFvUOodc

Set 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gkajRgpGE

Set 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT7nTLj3dlI

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
WAYYYYYYYYYY too many Raptor Boosts.

Moonwalk ---> Aerial is only going to work on....im trying to think how to word this properly....scrubs. Unless you have a godly setup for it. But if youre both standing on the stage playing a spacing game, and you just try to bust out a moonwalk ****, youre gonna get ****ed up.

I'd be interested to see you vs a spacie main/someone who is competent with a fox/falco

i watched the first 2 sets fully.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Hey man, I watched some of your vids, and I have to say I am quite impressed with how much you have improved from your first vid and your attitude at getting better at this game. Good **** bro.

About your new videos, I watched the first set. I see you have implemented the gentlemen into your gameplay, good ****.

K, so, a lot of the time I find that you are just spamming moves just for the hell of it, and you're trying to go really fast or something. Going fast is good, but are you doing the right things at the right time? An example of this is in your first game at 1:44, you were just spamming dair hoping to hit Peach for tech chasing. Instead of just spamming dairs, stop for a second, and watch what she does and follow up with the right moves. Being too aggressive against Peach can get you ***** hard by her dsmash. Sometimes you just need to take a second and analyze the situation and go from there instead of just blindly jumping into your opponent. Dash dance around, and wait, and analyze, then react accordingly.

You still use forward b way too much, and when you do, you don't follow up properly. I saw you forward b and Peach went really high, and you went for a dair which didn't connect, or you just did forward b to nothing a lot of the time. Watch yourself in game one of the first set at 3:00, you can see yourself spam a lot of forward b and didn't really gain much, should have just grabbed to dthrow knee.

Err, work on your recovery a bit, going for sweetspot up bs are important for not getting gimped. A lot of the time, I just see you double jump and do knee to try to get back, but you can get gimped like that, be careful.

For Peach, you nair a lot out of your dthrow, it'll work at low percents and if your opponent has bad DI. However, in your situation, your nairs aren't helping you connect to more combos. You should go for more uairs from the dthrow. Like dthrow uair, uair, knee or something depending on DI.

Tell Siegfried to crouch cancel dsmash more against you. That will teach you not to blindly jump in and nair, because that will get you *****, and if this is the case and you know your opponent is going to CC, then just grab. You don't always have to run in and aerial.

Anyways, thats all for now. Hope that helped, keep up the good work.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Thanks guys. It is always of a great help to get critique. @NDot, did you see the last set? The nairs from the grabbing at low percentage is what you need to do against peach right? also, i would like to sweet spot the up b everytime, but the window of the sweet spot is tooooooo small especially in akward sitatuions when cf gets blasted off the stage lol. I understand the waiting part 2, and about not spamming sffled moves everywhere, but i just thought that it would be a good mind game, but thanks i c where ur coming from.

BrandonOwnageking

Smash Journeyman
wow dude you've made some amazing progress. Id just say lay off the raptor boost a little. I dont know if you have, but id think about going to some big tournies. Thats where you get the most experince, i kow ive gotten better because of it.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Yea Leviathan thats what I was talking about. Also you need to work on your DI, you got killed by Peach's fthrow at like around 130% or something, that is survivable on FD with good DI. You should get your friends to get critiques on their character boards so they can improve along with you. You are only as good as the people you play, so the better your friends get, the better you will get.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Okay I only had time to watch the first set so I'll just critique things in the order I saw them. At around 80-90% you should be trying to get a grab on peach so you can D-throw -> Knee. It's probably one of the most common and effective ways falcon kills peach. Also, I'll start by admitting that I, myself sometimes overuse raptor boost. However, from what I saw, you use it even more than I do. It's a great move when used correctly, but easily punished and I wouldn't recommend using it all that much. For example, a few times you used raptor boost, a pivot Fsmash could have been alot better. You can trick your opponent into thinking they can hit you and then BOOM fmash in the face. Also, you really need to work on teching and DI. These are two of the last things most players properly encorporate into their gameplay so it's understandable that your DI and tech ability isn't that great yet. That will all come with practice. Some simple DI against peach is to hold up and toward the stage when she looks like she's about to F-throw you. You can live till like 150* on yoshi's and like 180* on FD/DL64. Also, against peach, you need to be more careful on how you approach. If you just approach her with a light attack (Nair) at low % she can punish you by CC and Dsmash. Space your airiels so that you don't land within her Dsmash range, or if you can't avoid that, hit her with something that will stun her long enough for you to not get punished. If you do get Dsmash I would smash DI up to avoid getting hit more than once or twice. That's really all I have for you atm. If you want to discuss character matchups and more in depth stuff just add me on facebook or msn.

-Noobking

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
alright thanks... I do have one pressing question though... Exactly how do I DI properly? Do I hold the stick in the perpendicular direction in which I am flying or do say for ex. keep hitting up and down really fast on the stick if I fly left or right?

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
You want to smash the stick... usually perendicular. I mean... there's survival DI and there's combo DI. Survival DI is used when you're at high % and at risk of getting KO'd. Combo DI is DI'ing to avoid getting combo'd. It's alot trickier than survival DI because at high level play it's used alot more because most of the top players DI just about everything. Depending on how you DI you may be able to throw off your opponent and break out of combos. I would seriously consider finding a good thread about DI to read up on as I won't be able to explain everything as in depth as one of the well written guides to DI on SWF would.

m&m1992

Smash Cadet
not bad, but there are some points for you:

1. never roll with falcon to much

2. more dashdance pls, falcon needs space

3. more approach with n-airs, especially against marth, because you can hit through his shield easily with nairs

4. never nair with full jumps, because you can´t follow your opponent

5. after hitting your opponent with your raptor boost try to give him u-airs and finish with a knee, especially against marth. no full jump n-airs, pls.

6. it´s important for falcon players to watch out, you may not leave the stage, because captain falcon can be edge guarded easily.

the rest is perfekt, keep practising and you will become a great smasher !!! :)

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
not bad, but there are some points for you:

1. never roll with falcon to much

2. more dashdance pls, falcon needs space

3. more approach with n-airs, especially against marth, because you can hit through his shield easily with nairs

4. never nair with full jumps, because you can´t follow your opponent

5. after hitting your opponent with your raptor boost try to give him u-airs and finish with a knee, especially against marth. no full jump n-airs, pls.

6. it´s important for falcon players to watch out, you may not leave the stage, because captain falcon can be edge guarded easily.

the rest is perfekt, keep practising and you will become a great smasher !!! :)
Actually, when used correctly, full jump nairs are very good. For example, killing floaties like peach/puff/luigi at 60-80% on levels with platforms. You full jump nair them onto the platform and then you can follow up with knee alot of the time. I mean, I wouldn't say I use full jump nairs more than SHNairs but definetly do not discount the use of full jump nair.

m&m1992

Smash Cadet
Actually, when used correctly, full jump nairs are very good. For example, killing floaties like peach/puff/luigi at 60-80% on levels with platforms. You full jump nair them onto the platform and then you can follow up with knee alot of the time. I mean, I wouldn't say I use full jump nairs more than SHNairs but definetly do not discount the use of full jump nair.
yeah that´s right full jump nair onto platforms are very usefull, sry i´ve forgot that ^^
but for example on FD full jump nairs are not the best choise.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
dont try to stomp them if you got hit and your in the air coming down on top of them

do a really late up-air instead so you dont get shield grabbed

and think when your playing

try to predict their rolls

pay more attention to them then to yourself

dont approach with down air unless your sure you gonna fly by them with it

idk your pretty good

make sure your smooth, dash away after every aerial

be careful when you approach, sometimes going for a jc grab is better then approaching with a nair

be tricky, dont go for the usually stuff, create your own style

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I only watched the first match seeing as it's 1:25 in the morning and I'm currently trying to work on my Falcon, but I'll shed some light on the little nuances I saw >=P

First off, it seems like you need to beat out some inconsistencies in your tech skill/combos. What I mean is, at :53 you kind of just air dodged. Pretty much a no no because you lost your pressure pretty much there and gave the Peach time to recuperate. Also, if you mind me critiquing the Peach, I'm no Peach main by any means, but it seems like he needs work on DI'ing those nairs, just sayin'.

As Reneblade said, moonwalk aerials are only for show and when you KNOW they will connect and that you'll be able to make use out of them. For example, Silent Spectre using it to bair edgeguard, and even then he doesn't do it THAT much.

Around 3:05ish you did a lot of over b's against his Peach. Sure, it racked up damage, but against higher skilled players you will receive pretty severe punishment for doing it. Plus, at the percentages you were doing it at, you couldn't really go off of it with anything besides following her around from below and maybe coming up with an uair. Really not worth the risk of getting punished for a putout of a few %

Hope these little bits of information helped, I'm trying to work on analyzing my gameplay a lil more now as I improve, so maybe try watching these yourself and kind of get an idea of what you need to improve upon personally? I know it's hard at first because you watch it and think you're not doing much wrong, but I'd suggest just really thinking hard and finding what you would do that would leave you in a punishable position. Also find inadequancies in techskill/whatever and go into future matches trying to repair these issues, while still playing the match(Kind of like how some people learn to implement wavedashing into matches, they set a minimum requirement of wavedashes to do in a match, and do it whether they get hit or not solely for the purpose of applying this technique under pressure.) I hope you understood that part, my philosophical side isn't really showing up right now =P

Overall, good job and I definitely noticed an improvement from your previously posted vids. Keep it up and keep knee'ing *****es!!!!

Top Bottom