• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ehhh... I don't really see what's so good about Salamace. I mean, it's just a cropped head of a pokemon put on a stick with a silver recolour :/

Not to say that it's downright horrible, to me it just seems so bland.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Salamace is awesome.

I ripped this from the battle sequence so we can use it for fusions.
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/TheAceLucario/WooguruSprite.png

EDIT: Edited. It seems that the new gen sprite size is 90x90.
EDITEDIT: Edit didn't first time. now it's 90x90 and working.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ehhh... I don't really see what's so good about Salamace. I mean, it's just a cropped head of a pokemon put on a stick with a silver recolour :/

Not to say that it's downright horrible, to me it just seems so bland.
It's for the lulz. Obviously it didn't take much work, it wasn't even an actual recolor lol, I just set the mode to "Grayscale".

It's the concept that people think is funny. It's the concept that I think is funny, and it's why I made it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ah, me being the clueless person I am, I obviously wouldn't catch that it was the concept and not the design that people thought it was funny DX

I like the grayscale technique though, something to consider when I'm making 2nd place pokemon trophies without hunting for the appropriate colors for the trophies

Tacel

Smash Lord
Request for rocherman: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies for PSC 3 - 7.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
**** you TAL, you know I'm on break

The only reason why I even entered is because I got inspiration right there and then to make an Ike sprite

Plus, I don't wanna do greenstreet's differently typed Flygon D:

I'll gladly show you how to make those sprites though, just so there is somebody to make the trophies if it really bothers you that much :/

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You know he's asking this because if you do make the trophies for the past four PSC winners, he'll be getting one from every week (I think). :p
Yeah I know that, and it'd benefit me more as well if I make them because I'd be getting a trophy for my Ike as well

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
**** it, I don't like any of those

.... and now I keep getting **** messages from GIMP about something about file error messages so I can't make Deolade :/

Sorry

Pete278

Smash Lord
I'm hoping to forget that I ever made my request, and come back and find it and be surprised. It'll be like getting a Christmas present in the form of a sprite. :D

rockem7

Smash Ace
I was on my photobucket and found some stuff that I felt like posting. I apologize for lack of transparency.

Yeah, this isn't all of them, and the newer ones are toward the front and the ones near the back (pretty much just color changes) were my first experiments with spriting, so sorry if they stink.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
What are you even asking really?

You sound like you're trying to drag the Pokemon Center into working on a massive project that could take weeks to sprite that we're not even interested in.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
What are you even asking really?

You sound like you're trying to drag the Pokemon Center into working on a massive project that could take weeks to sprite that we're not even interested in.
I think he's asking for one of them sprite poses like the ones that Fan uses from Joshr

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Disclaimer: Yes, this is a massive bump.

Recently, I've been thinking about spriting and how long it's been since I've actually produced a sprite. (I'm pretty sure the last sprite I produced was Salamace :salamace:, and that was hardly an impressive work.) Of course, I've always enjoyed spriting, but inspiration doesn't always strike.

In an attempt to quell this given the free time I have at the moment, I've produced another sprite. I've also decided that it may be beneficial to whatever spriting community is left -- or has yet to rise -- if we maybe get some general spriting interest out there instead of only having the spriting contest. This thread is linked to in the OP of the Grand Festival, but I'm not sure how many people actually see it, nor am I sure how many people would want to bump a year-old thread.

I can't say I'm sure this thread will actually come back to life, but I figure if some people can make/post/get feedback on sprites without having the pressure of the contest, it may engender some more interest.

Anyway, without further ado, here's my sprite: a fusion of two of my favorite fifth gen Pokémon, Reuniclus and Volcarona.

I'm kind of disappointed with how it looks completely zoomed out; I liked it better when I was working on it. Still, it took me a significant amount of time -- a couple hours -- since I built from scratch off of Volcarona's base. The idea was basically to take Volcarona and make it have the cell-like features of Reuniclus. Hope you all enjoy.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'd be interested in spriting, but I've never done it before and I'd only be able to use paint, which I haven't used in like 10 years. I'm not sure how hard it is to learn or how long a sprite generally takes to make.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'd be interested in spriting, but I've never done it before and I'd only be able to use paint, which I haven't used in like 10 years. I'm not sure how hard it is to learn or how long a sprite generally takes to make.
Paint is honestly an excellent program for spriting. The lack of transparency is kind of a pain (as you usually want to add that and therefore need to put the sprite through another program to do so), and the small number of undos can also prove to be an issue at times, but I used Paint for a significant amount of time without any troubles. Generally, if you haven't used anything else, you won't really know what advantages they have that you're missing and therefore there won't be a problem. If you have Windows 7, you're better off looking for an older version of Paint to use -- Windows XP Paint is what I was always using back when I used it, and I think it's generally considered to be the best version -- but other than that, program isn't a problem.

Spriting is less difficult to learn than it seems. Learning to sprite well -- especially without prior art skills -- takes some time, but that's just a matter of doing it over time to learn what works and what doesn't. And unless you're doing a full-on custom spriting job and completely altering a Pokémon, spriting can take as little as ten minutes (though the more time you invest, the better it generally comes out). Most of my early sprites were pretty quick copy-paste jobs, which isn't a bad place to start out at all.

Spriting on its most basic level -- fusing two Pokémon together -- is basically a matter of picking one Pokémon to use as a base, recoloring said base to the colors of the other Pokémon (unless you make a creative choice and decide it looks better with the original colors, in which case you'll want to recolor the other Pokémon), and then building off of / replacing parts from the base Pokémon using parts from the other Pokémon.

I'd explain the exact process to you myself, but I think you'll be able to understand it better from a tutorial with pictures. I'd best suggest this spriting guide; you'll want to refer to the "Recolors" and "Splices" sections for starters, probably. If you have interest in continuing beyond that, you can look at some of the other ones.

If anything's unclear or if you have any other questions, let me know; I'll be glad to help out.

Tacel

Smash Lord
So I discovered today (very possibly unoriginally) that all you have to do to make a higher quality looking sprite is to blur where different shades of the same color meet. Not a big deal, but I find it pretty entertaining and it can come out looking pretty cool.
Before and after:

I did those pretty carelessly so don't hate. :chuckle:

Top Bottom