• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Champion of Sinnoh, Cynthia for SSB4!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Actually no one was replaced.

Lucario and Mewtwo were both meant to be in Brawl. Mewtwo was only cut due to time constraints. If Sakurai had his way, we would have gotten both.

Pokemon Trainer has some of the most popular pokemon of all time. Charizard, Squirtle (arguably Ivysaur, though it's mainly his connection to Bulbasaur). He was well received and people generally don't like cuts.
If PT is going to make an appearance in SSB4, then the Charizard-Ivysaur-Squirtle will most likely be replaced by another Trio. I still think that the idea of a PTs' appearance in the new smash is pretty slim.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If PT is going to make an appearance in SSB4, then the Charizard-Ivysaur-Squirtle will most likely be replaced by another Trio. I still think that the idea of a PTs' appearance in the new smash is pretty slim.
Why would they replace some of the most popular pokemon of all time?

This is Charizard you're talking about. The most popular pokemon of all time.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Why would they replace some of the most popular pokemon of all time?

This is Charizard you're talking about. The most popular pokemon of all time.
Its a controversy. Your opinion is that these trio are the most popular pokemon. It might differ from person to person, and since the first trio were the first gen starters, they might as well the chance to the other gens' starter pokemons.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Its a controversy. Your opinion is that these trio are the most popular pokemon. It might differ from person to person, and since the first trio were the first gen starters, they might as well the chance to the other gens' starter pokemons.
We play as characters not generations.

What pokemon could they choose to top Charizard in popularity?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually Charizard has been voted the most favourite pokémon on a poll by IGN. Look into Charizard's Bulbapedia page.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Charizard had his chance in SSBB, there are other pokemons that are in the same level of popularity as Charizard. Again I repeat, its a controversy, Charizard got top popular in IGN, and that's IGN's opinion. People love Mudkip as well, they even made a meme about how everyone loves mudkip. If we're talking about worldwide popularity of pokemons then it's definatly Pikachu and not Charizard. Leaving popularity aside, everyone has his own favorite Pokemon. Nintendo will most likely choose the pokemon with the highest fan request.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Charizard had his chance in SSBB, there are other pokemons that are in the same level of popularity as Charizard. Again I repeat, its a controversy, Charizard got top popular in IGN, and that's IGN's opinion. People love Mudkip as well, they even made a meme about how everyone loves mudkip. If we're talking about worldwide popularity of pokemons then it's definatly Pikachu and not Charizard. Leaving popularity aside, everyone has his own favorite Pokemon. Nintendo will most likely choose the pokemon with the highest fan request.
Dead wrong.

His chance? Da Fuq?

There are no other pokemon that rival Charizard.

The IGN article wasn't an opinion. IT WAS A POLL THAT HAD THOUSANDS OF PARTICIPANTS.

Nintendo will most likely choose the pokemon with the highest fan request.
Like Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur?

That is the reason why they were chosen,

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Dead wrong.

His chance? Da Fuq?

There are no other pokemon that rival Charizard.

The IGN article wasn't an opinion. IT WAS A POLL THAT HAD THOUSANDS OF PARTICIPANTS.

Like Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur?

That is the reason why they were chosen,
1) IGN is one site, there are many other polls that favorite other pokemons.

2) Pokemon X and Y might offer pokemons that will momentarily hit a fanbase that is greater than Charizard and replace the PT with that pokemon.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
1) IGN is one site, there are many other polls that favorite other pokemons.

2) Pokemon X and Y might offer pokemons that will momentarily hit a fanbase that is greater than Charizard and replace the PT with that pokemon.
1. The poll did not only consist of IGN. Try again.

2. "Momentarily" is not good enough. Sakurai doesn't just choose flavor of the month stuff. He never has. Not even Roy and Ike quite fill that criteria.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman

Well, it seems that Sakurai actually loves the PT idea. He even chose him as the only Dojo-Revealed newcomer to appear in the game's cover art, so I do not belive he will replace him with another Pokémon rep...

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
2. "Momentarily" is not good enough. Sakurai doesn't just choose flavor of the month stuff. He never has. Not even Roy and Ike quite fill that criteria.
It depends on the fanbase of the pokemon. It's true that Sakurai doesn't choose the "flavor of the month", it is the fans who do, people might favorite other pokemons over Charizard. If Charizard is your favorite then it's your favorite and not every one elses'. There are 800 other Pokemons that are not counter yet who coussibly be a trio or just a single pokemon character such as Mewtwo/Lucario

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Well, it seems that Sakurai actually loves the PT idea. He even chose him as the only Dojo-Revealed newcomer to appear in the game's cover art, so I do not belive he will replace him with another Pokémon rep...
It's really not entirely up to Sakurai to decide what characters join, we also have a say in this and the possibilty of voting for another pokemon(s) instead of Lucario and PT is still present.

D

Deleted member

For the most part, yeah it IS Sakurai who gets the final say.

We get a "say", but it's not as strong as you think.

Aside from that, the concept of "voting off a character" is laughable.

...none of this has to do with the beautiful goddess of the Pokémon world though.
Someone post some fanservice to change the subject. Nao. :troll:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It depends on the fanbase of the pokemon. It's true that Sakurai doesn't choose the "flavor of the month", it is the fans who do, people might favorite other pokemons over Charizard. If Charizard is your favorite then it's your favorite and not every one elses'. There are 800 other Pokemons that are not counter yet who coussibly be a trio or just a single pokemon character such as Mewtwo/Lucario
Charizard isn't my favorite. Venasaur is. I thought that was common knowledge now. :awesome: If you think I'm letting bias, get in the way, you would be wrong.

Charizard is however, the favorite of the majority. He would make the majority happy. There is a reason why most rosters have Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo. It would make the majority happy. The majority do not want any character cut or replaced. This includes Pokemon Trainer.

If cutting Mewtwo and Roy caused major backlash, how much backlash do you think cutting the most popular pokemon of all time would create?

It's really not entirely up to Sakurai to decide what characters join, we also have a say in this and the possibilty of voting for another pokemon(s) instead of Lucario and PT is still present.
Thing is most of us want PT and Lucario to stay.

Most pokemon fans would be satisfied with Pikachu, PT, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Lucario.

D

Deleted member

I really hope relevancy isn't being used against Charizard in this....
....since the anime recently brought him back as a major character for the Episode N arc....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So the debate is continuing? Well, at least it's a reasonable one.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Charizard isn't my favorite. Venasaur is. I thought that was common knowledge now. :awesome: If you think I'm letting bias, get in the way, you would be wrong.

Charizard is however, the favorite of the majority. He would make the majority happy. There is a reason why most rosters have Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo. It would make the majority happy. The majority do not want any character cut or replaced. This includes Pokemon Trainer.

If cutting Mewtwo and Roy caused major backlash, how much backlash do you think cutting the most popular pokemon of all time would create?

Thing is most of us want PT and Lucario to stay.

Most pokemon fans would be satisfied with Pikachu, PT, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Lucario.
If Charizard and the other pokemons maintain their high fanbase, then they would be present in SSB4. However, I'm only considering the chances of the fanbase changes through gen 6, which is possible to make a new pokemon take the place of Lucario and/or possibly PT.

D

Deleted member

Anything is possible. However, likely is the key issue here.
It is rather unlikely that PT would be replaced with another Pokémon character given his significance. Aside from that, if fanbase changes were prevalent, Jigglypuff would have easily been scrapped right off the bat for Brawl before Mewtwo would.
If anything, Meowth would have taken her place.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
YeahI don't see any one going for the next game unless Sakurai has a valid reason for the character being gone. Sakurai probrably wants a new rep for pokemon also, so this may cause someone to go or we get 6 pokemon characters in SSB4. Don't take my word for it though. Anyways I hope that sixth is another trainer. These are the ones rivaling for the spot, Cynthia, of course, May (generation 3 trainer), Gold (generation 2 trainer), N (generation 5 trainer) or Generation 6 trainer. Also I'm going to make a move-set later.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Pokemon trainers pokemans could get replaced by another team, but they could also stay the same. Charizard and co. are still pretty popular, but sakurai may want to appeal to newer players and especially if lucario is cut there will basically only be first gen pokemon with the exception of newtwo. But really anything could happen. Who the hell knows.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Pokemon trainers pokemans could get replaced by another team, but they could also stay the same. Charizard and co. are still pretty popular, but sakurai may want to appeal to newer players and especially if lucario is cut there will basically only be first gen pokemon with the exception of newtwo. But really anything could happen. Who the hell knows.
yeah, I know, but there the most likely for the trainers for actual pokemon it's only the popular's game.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Such compelling evidence.
The man doesn't speak English and there has never been a North-American poll officially sanctioned by Nintendo for Smash Bros.

He's Japan first, Japan second, Japan third, North America 1488th.

D

Deleted member

The man doesn't speak English and there has never been a North-American poll officially sanctioned by Nintendo for Smash Bros.

He's Japan first, Japan second, Japan third, North America 1488th.
Ignorance spreads like a virus, it seems.

All any poll really did was get Sonic in the game. And even then, Sakurai mentions that Sonic received most of his support from outside Japan.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Ignorance spreads like a virus, it seems.
Whoa jeez so deep so powerful so solemn

I bet you wear a fedora

All any poll really did was get Sonic in the game. And even then, Sakurai mentions that Sonic received most of his support from outside Japan.
Let's be serious here for a second
If your mind allows it please picture Sakurai sitting there at his desk pulling his hair out struggling to come up with new ideas

He's tried everything he can, and he's hit a brick wall

He calls his assistant and says "quick! Hire people to translate smashboards.com so I can consult them for advice!"

Or do you think he'll visit the Japanese circle of the web and read everything himself

D

Deleted member

Now, let's actually get serious.
Sakurai has mentioned on multiple occasions various cases of overseas popularity such as Sonic, Pit, and even Mega Man. The only way he could have known about it is by checking or having someone else report it to him.
He has also stated he wants to avoid including characters only popular in Japan as much as possible (though is willing to make some exceptions due to the likes of Marth gaining popularity outside Japan due to his appearance in Smash). That means he takes into account the entire globe when selecting characters.

Stop using pathetic hypotheticals in a debate of logic.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If Sakurai was listening to people Ridley and Geno would have been in Brawl.
Hypotheticals are a perfectly legitimate debating tool, by the way.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
Now, let's actually get serious.
Sakurai has mentioned on multiple occasions various cases of overseas popularity such as Sonic, Pit, and even Mega Man. The only way he could have known about it is by checking or having someone else report it to him.
He has also stated he wants to avoid including characters only popular in Japan as much as possible (though is willing to make some exceptions due to the likes of Marth gaining popularity outside Japan due to his appearance in Smash). That means he takes into account the entire globe when selecting characters.

Stop using pathetic hypotheticals in a debate of logic.
Nowhere outside of Japan and North America is taken into account. So no the entire globe does not have a say

D

Deleted member

Characters were already finalized outside of Sonic by July 7 2005, before Ridley or Geno gained notable demand.

Hypotheticals only work when they aren't being used against actual logic and data.

Nowhere outside of Japan and North America is taken into account. So no the entire globe does not have a say
Pretty big claim. Care to prove it?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Characters were already finalized outside of Sonic by July 7 2005, before Ridley or Geno gained notable demand.

Hypotheticals only work when they aren't being used against actual logic and data.
You haven't sourced any of your logic and data.

D

Deleted member

You haven't sourced any of your logic and data.
If you'd not be a lazy troll and go look in the Smash Directory thread, that's where you will find everything I said.
The thread is there for a reason.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ok, so lets get back to Cynthia, anyways I plan to make a move-set using Garchomp, Glaceon, and Roserade.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
If Sakurai was listening to people Ridley and Geno would have been in Brawl.
A lot of other characters were wanted in Brawl. If that's the point of your argument, then SSBB's roster should be compromised of 1,000 :p

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If you'd not be a lazy troll and go look in the Smash Directory thread, that's where you will find everything I said.
The thread is there for a reason.
The "look it up yourself" trope in a debate is what people do when they're backed up in a corner and can't justify any of their unsubstantiated claims

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
A lot of other characters were wanted in Brawl. If that's the point of your argument, then SSBB's roster should be compromised of 1,000 :p
Someone from Nsider went to Sakurai's office in Japan and hand-delivered a thesis on why Geno should have been in Brawl.
If there was ever a time when listening to your fans would have made sense, it was then and there.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The "look it up yourself" trope in a debate is what people do when they're backed up in a corner and can't justify any of their unsubstantiated claims
Except that thread contains all evidence to back his claims. Try harder.

Someone from Nsider went to Sakurai's office in Japan and hand-delivered a thesis on why Geno should have been in Brawl.
If there was ever a time when listening to your fans would have made sense, it was then and there.
Evidence? Source? You haven't provided with any, have you?

Top Bottom