• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon - The 5th Generation

Spire

III
BRoomer

Below is a "coded" box containing all of the months-old information that once comprised this post. From now on, let's focus on far more specific ideas so that we can organize and categorize such. Eventually, we may build a "5th Gen Speculation" encyclopedia, from which we can draw inspiration, and check off all that 'comes true' when the 5th Generation of Pokemon is actually released. Now to start us off, I'll list a few specific categories:

I. Pokémon:
- New species
- Pokédex structure
- Behavior

II. World Setting:
- Civilization

III. Systematic Changes:
- Gym League/Elite Four
- Attributes/Types
- Moves
- Real-time environmental changes

IV. Lore:
- Storyline
- History
- Conceptual elements (Land/Sea/Air, Space/Time/Darkness, etc.)

Code:
[B][SIZE="2"]
Welcome! This thread is about the mere speculation and desires for the 5th Generation of Pokémon - how it could and should be different - including:[/SIZE][/B]
[list][*]An overview of the new overworld
[*]Real-time Pokémon lifestyles and battling
[*]New Type System
[*]Pokémon Creation
[*]Ideas for new Pokémon
[*]Legendary Overhaul
[*]Further Speculation[/list]
[SIZE="2"][B]So, without further adieu - let's get started![/B][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/Overview.png[/IMG]

We have played through four different worlds of Pokémon - each containing new and old Pokémon, towns, gyms, etc, etc. But, can this formula really hold strong? As we play through the same repetitive nature of the games, we grow tired of them, because all-in-all, they're the same, give or take the obvious differences that don't hold the game subject to being "different".

I propose the idea to either:
[list=A][*]Merge the four worlds of: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh into [U]one[/U] huge overworld for complete adventuring and exploration - collecting all of the Pokémon without purchasing multiple games, taking on all of the gyms across all four regions, and toppling the Elite Four Leagues across the nation, rising to power above all else. Or....

[*]Create an entirely new world, much larger than any we have seen before that also encompasses all of the Pokémon, but is designed differently - either retaining the system of "gyms" or not.[/list]
The world should nevertheless, be a fully functioning world, with trainers not just stationed in their areas like they have always been (really, who stands on a pathway or swims in the water for all eternity?). Trainers should be completely functioning people just as you are, who if you do not see them move, at least "transport" to locations within their regional proximity (i.e. move from one city to another, but may move back to their original location, so perhaps even a cyclical-routine may take place over x amount of days). This would further exemplify the degree of realism and real-time lifestyles in the world.

Now, in all of the games, we have always played with a pre-designed character. In the 5th Generation, we should be able to design our own characters - altering their gender, age, height, weight, eye/hair color, clothing, etc, etc. This would personalize the game tenfold and would prevent an older player from being forced to play as a ten-year-old.

As for how one adventures around the world - well the world should be relatively designed so that you much follow certain routes and what not, but they should be expanded so that you do not feel as if you are following a path, bordered by non-passable walls such as trees. You should feel as if you are in an environment that looks inviting to explore, not just to stroll on through. There should be nooks and crannies in the rock, tall and short patches in the grass, thick and thin trees to walk around. The world should indefinitely be very explorable, so catching Pokémon would feel entirely different, and include a bit of environmental strategy.

One last thing to note: both the 1st and 3rd Generations were parallel, while the 2nd and 4th were parallel. If a 5th is made, it should not be parallel to either of the past four, but rather take place in a time after all four; in an "alternate Pokémon reality" altogether, where none of the events that occurred in the four generations ever happened; or simply be all four fused together so the player gets to experience all of it.

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/Real-TimePokemon.png[/IMG]

Tired of randomly encountering Pokémon? Then this is for you. Pokémon should be able to be spotted in the wild so you can decide whether or not you would like to catch it. It would add strategy to adventuring rather than running around a patch of grass just waiting for a certain Pokémon to show up. Pokemon would still live in their respective environments, but you may very well see one adventure off for whatever reason. Pokémon should run on a non-linear schedule, consisting of their basic habits with what they do in the wild - which includes interaction with other Pokémon. Different Pokémon will of course act differently. Some will live a carefree life, bouncing around the wilderness, befriending other carefree Pokémon, while others will be ruthless, attacking Pokémon weaker than themselves.

This concept is directly related to how [U]you[/U] play the game. While you are out adventuring around, you may or may not stumble on to Pokémon in the wild, and even if you do, you would not have to encounter it. How you play no longer is written by hidden dice rolls, but rather by how [U]you[/U] want to play. Pokémon will respond to you as a trainer - some will attack you, others will not. In the past games, all Pokémon would attack you - even those that you would not think would ever want to do so. Now, however, Pokémon may flee from you after detection, may attack you, or may act passively, not caring whether or not you are there.

The idea of Pokemon attacking the player is obviously territorial, where the Pokémon feels that its space is being invaded by one who does not "belong" there. Not only does this apply to the trainer, but so does it to other Pokémon. This idea now introduces a new health system - not just for your Pokémon, but for you also. In order to "Black out", you need not lose all of your Pokémon in battle, but rather have your own health depleted. [U]YOU[/U] will be revived along with your Pokémon at a nearby Pokécenter, where you can continue your quest from there.

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/NewTypeSystem.png[/IMG]

In order to further expand the world of the Pokémon themselves, I propose a new type-system. We are all aware of the many types that Pokémon may possess: Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, etc, etc. However, it has come to the point where this system has been overused too much, and Pokémon individuality is only expressed through their appearance rather than their type (this is semi-true). If the games continue to grow like they have been, we will end up with absurd Pokémon that may be Fire/Ice types, alluding to the developers' lack of innovation, imagination, and the repetition and burnout of ideas as every idea has been used up.

My new type-system retains all of the known Pokémon types, but adds a new element -- "Temperature". The temperature of Pokémon determine where they live, how they react in different environments, how they interact with other Pokémon, and of course - adds a twist to the weaknesses, strengths, and resistances in battle to other types.

For example, a Rock-Type Pokémon who has a high Temperature may be especially resistant to Fire-Type attacks, and may also possess some Fire-Type attributes, like resistance to Ice, Steel, Grass, and Bug, while its weakness to ground and water would go up even more (only slightly would it be affected in these ways).

There should be three levels of Temperature - high, neutral, and low. Below, I will list which Types are related to each level of Temperature:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/PokemonTemperatureTypeTable.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

Basically, the types listed in the above Temperature Table are what Temperature they are most commonly affiliated with, however there are exceptions to most of the types (obvious ones would be cold-water Pokémon, or warm-grassland Pokémon). Now, within each type, Pokémon may be of any Temperature (since a lot of Pokémon are dual-types). Now, the Temperature would apply 65% to its first type and 35% to its second type.

So a Pokémon that is Psychic/Ice and had a High Temperature would be normal-Psychic (no alterations), but the Ice would be 35% HT (High Temperature) closer to Psychic than Ice, which would essentially begin to neutralize that Type, further changing its weaknesses, strengths, and resistances. The Ice type's weakness to Fire, Rock, and Fighting would decrease, but its weakness to Steel would increase. However, because it is closer to being NT (Neutral Temperature), its strength against Dragon, Flying, Grass, and Ground would decrease. In other words, the further a type is from another on the table, the more potent its weaknesses, strengths, and resistances are. Essentially, the secondary types want to be isoelectronic with its primary type. High Temperatures are regulated at 100 degrees, Neutral at 50, and Low at 0. In the example, the Ice type rose 35%, so it would be 35 degrees closer to Neutral, 15 from being Neutral and 65 from being High.

[U]COLORATION-TYPE RELATION[/U]
The coloration of Pokémon needs to be diversified as part of this overhaul in making the game feel and play differently. I'm sure we're all tired of seeing the same Pokémon over and over and over again (with an incredibly small chance of finding an alternate-colored one). I think that Pokémon should have many varieties as to how they appear. This may be evident in:[list][*]A slight difference in hue
[*]Different patterns on their bodies besides the default
[*]Extended, retracted, or otherwise altered features like seen in the male/female differences amongst Pokémon in the 4th Generation.
[*]Slight new features such as horns, etc.[/list]
This way, Pokémon would never be the same, but wouldn't appear entirely different under normal conditions. However, there are certain circumstances where a Pokémon may appear very different than its common counterpart(s). Firstly, individual Pokémon within the same species may [rarely] appear to be aligned with a type unnatural to them. For instance, a Charmander may possess purple/green spots on its back, or may be slightly purple/green in hue - indicating that its not just a Fire-type, but a Fire/Poison type. The Poison type may not be very prominent as a secondary type, and may only exist as about 15% of the Charmander's makeup, while the other 85% is made up of Fire. Still, it would have about 15% weakness to all Types that are strong against Poison.  Rarely does this happen in nature, but by breeding Pokémon, they may acquire traits that would almost never be seen in the wild. Of course in battle, you may not be able to tell what mysteries are behind the Pokémon's type, so that is why trying different attacks to see what it is and isn't weak against would aid you in your on-the-spot research; catching it would be a sure way of discovering its statistics also. Generally, any Pokémon of the "Neutral Temperature" can live in environments of High, Neutral, or Low Temperatures, but rarely could one of High live in Low, and vice versa.

Now that I have covered Temperatures and color-variation, it's time that I bring the two together. Very rarely, you may find a Pokémon who is a "pure", or in other words, is of the purest form of its primary type. These occurrences are specific to the Pokémon's original type-combination and how isoelectronic its second type is with the first. One example would be Haunter, a Ghost/Poison Pokémon. If its Poison type were 100% isoelectronic with its Ghost type, then, it would no longer be Poison, but a pure Ghost. A "pure" Pokémon is one whose primary type is their only type, but is essentially doubled (as if it was Ghost/Ghost). These Pokémon's strengths, resistances, and weaknesses are all doubled, causing for a very different strategic approach, as it would be essentially more powerful than any other of its type against those weak to it, but in turn it would be far weaker to those strong against it. The color variation of these Pokémon are always very different. With the Haunter example, it would not longer be purple, but perhaps a hazy light blue, or pure black. These Pokémon are not as rare as shiny Pokémon, but are still considerably hard to find.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]*NEW*[/COLOR] Now, sometimes Pokemon may go through a complete transformation - both through types and appearances. Here is how an "Ice Charizard" may come to being. A Charizard would have to lose its Flying type in exchange for a Water type, which would essentially make it a "Steam Dragon" Pokemon. In order to lose its Flying type, it would have to evolve from a Charmeleon and during the evolution its wings do not fully develop, or instead develop into fin-like appendages. Also, this would make the Charizard a Fire-only type, so in order to acquire Water as the second type, it would have to live in a warm, aquatic environment - building up a high enough resistance to water that it actually adopts the type altogether (the warm environment being so that the Charizard is still comfortable).  From there, its Fire-type would have to slowly decrease - becoming isoelectronic with its Water type (this is similar to the "Pure" Pokemon theory, where the secondary type becomes isoelectronic with the primary type, but instead, this is reversed), while simultaneously, its Water type would have to slowly decrease, becoming Ice over time. In order for this to happen, the Charizard may have to live in a very cold environment for its main Fire type to actually change. The Fire - in conjunction with Charizard being a "Dragon" Pokemon, would actually transform into the Dragon type, as Dragon is of the neutral-temperature. By this point, the Water Type would have "frozen", becoming Ice. So, the once Fire/Flying Charizard is now a Dragon/Ice Charizard. So instead of Charizard being a High/Neutral Pokemon, it has now become a Neutral/Low Pokemon (the inverse temperature). Here is a visual representation of how this would work out:

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/IceCharizardevolution.png[/IMG]

How this part of the system could work would be that many extra sprites be created for many species of Pokemon so that you [I]may[/I] find alternates like the Ice Charizard in the wild (this also suggests that starter families become wild Pokemon which further suggests a change to the starter Pokemon system). However, a Dragon/Ice Charmander or Charmeleon could also be found in the wild. The first method as to how they could exist would be that the Fire/Water Charizard or Dragon/Ice Charizard had to have laid an egg which then hatched into this new type of Charmander. Another way that a Fire/Water Charmeleon could exist would be if the Charmander lived in a warm aquatic environment (such as a beach) and when it evolves into a Charmeleon, it develops the same alterations that the Charizard in the first example went through. Furthermore, if that Charmeleon relocated to a very cold aquatic environment (such as an iceberg), then when it evolves into a Charizard, then it may acquire the same changes that the Charizard in the aforementioned example did when it evolved into the Dragon/Ice Charizard. Here is a visual representation:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/IceCharizardevolution2.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

I know many of you may be questioning, "Now, wouldn't this add a ridiculous amount of Pokemon to the Pokedex?" The answer is, "no". In the above diagrams, I have introduced subspecies (mutants if you will) of members of the Charizard family. These subspecies however, will not tack on numbers to the Pokedex, rather adding data to their common counterpart's entry number in the 'dex. For instance, if you encounter the Fire/Water and Dragon/Ice Charizard at any point, they will be added as "subspecies" to the Charizard page in the Pokedex.

[U]CHANGING YOUR OWN POKEMON[/U] - An idea by [B][URL="http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=109569"]FirusTheHedgehog[/URL][/B]
Now, what I have explained above references wild Pokemon for the most part -- so how would you obtain these subspecies in your own custody - or in other words, how could you transform your own Pokemon into these 'mutants'? There would be an "Altering Daycare" (name pending) where you may drop of your Pokemon. Within the daycare, there would be numerous areas of exploration - all relative to the different Pokemon types. During the time of stay that your Pokemon takes in each of these type-environments, it may begin to build up attributes relative to those types - including a slight change in appearance itself. However, this will not work in every environment, as your Pokemon's makeup restricts them to certain environments.

Also, you have to regularly visit the Pokemon and interact with it, as these environments may begin to change its Temperature. Temperature is directly related to different emotions, so the Pokemon will change emotionally. Keeping in contact with it on a regular basis will help to maintain good terms with the Pokemon. However, if you do not visit the Pokemon, it may become hostile towards you, and if worst comes to worst, you may have to battle your own Pokemon to recapture it. The fee for dropping your Pokemon off depends on how long you keep them in the facilities, and how much they change. The cost overall will be substantially higher than the normal daycare.

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/PokemonCreation.png[/IMG]

[b]NOTE:[/b] [I]This is not something that I necessarily want to see. It is a subject that is brought up often and I have merely devised a plan as to how it could potentially work. Read if interested, if not, skip ahead.[/I]

Yes, I know most of you are saying, "what?" as you read the title of this section, but bear with me - it probably won't happen, but I have devised an explanation as to how it could.

Pokémon creation would be a very, very expensive task to do - and would require the collection of certain "ingredients" to do so. Pokémon creation would occur in some kind of Pokémon Creation Facility/Laboratory. Firstly, you would need to obtain a "Base Pokémon DNA Strand". Essentially, with this item only, you could create a Normal-type Pokémon with a limited palette. The creation process would consist of the "genetic material addition" and the "form design", with the latter being the actual drawing of the Pokémon. It would be drawn using a pixel-shader board and a color palette (similar to designing a t-shirt in Animal Crossing) with about 100x100 pixel dimensions.

Other genetic materials that you can add would be "Type Genes" such as "Electric Gene", or "Rock Gene". You may only add two Type-Genes (of course), and may designate which is the primary and which is the secondary. You may also add "Evolution Genes" to designate how many stages in the family of your new species there are. You may add "Stage 2 Gene", "Stage 3 Gene" or "Baby Gene". You cannot have both a Baby and a Stage 3 Gene in the DNA makeup, for that would be four stages. You must also add 15 TMs that are relative to the Pokémon's types, along with choosing a basic attack and stat-effecting move (i.e. scratch, tackle, pound, growl, leer, tail whip, etc). The 15 TMs that you add will automatically be given levels at which your Pokémon will learn them (for all stages; some TM's will only be obtainable at certain stages).

When designing the Pokémon, you are at first given a base, "normal" palette, consisting of watered down colors (nothing vibrant or very well saturated). However, depending on what Type Genes you insert, you will unlock extra palettes (a Fire Gene will unlock a palette with reds, oranges, yellows and the like, while a Water Gene would unlock a range of blues, aquas, and maybe some coral-colors).

When all steps have been completed, you must pay the cost of development (there is a fee for each Type Gene, Evolution Gene, and TM that you insert). After paying the total cost, you must return a few days (or a week) later to pick up your Pokémon. It will be at level 1 with the base attack and stat-effecting moves that you designated during the creation process.

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/NewPokemon.png[/IMG]

What new Pokémon could await us in the 5th Generation? Personally, I do not think any new Pokémon are necessary, as my system expands the Pokémon that we already have tenfold. However, judging by the inclusion of evolved forms of 1st Generation Pokémon in the 4th Generation, I would guess that more additions to families that we are familiar with would appear (either normal evolutions, pre-evolutions, or sub-evolutions, such as the Tyrogue-Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop family). Also, we can definitely expect to see some new legendaries as the number of them have been increasing as the generations grow in number.

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/LegendaryOverhaul.png[/IMG]

If the Legendary Pokémon do not feel so "Legendary" to you, then we have something dire in common. The level of importance in the history behind the Legendary Pokémon has grown over the generations, where in R/S/E, the main Legendaries are tied directly to the Earth, Sea, and Sky, while in D/P, the main Legendaries are tied directly to Time and Space. Now, these Pokémon seem to be of too high a calibur to simply be caught in a Pokéball by a ten-year old and used to do his bidding whenever, wherever. Of all the trainers in the Pokémon world, why is it that a ten-year old is the one to catch the almighty Legendaries? Also, the Legendary Pokémon are much to static - in that they really do not do anything special throughout the game. Yes, they are given very deep and interesting histories, but what they are said to do in these 'legends' is completely non-evident in how they act when [U]you[/U] confront them.

Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza have been alive for thousands of years, and Dialga and Palkia since the beginning of existence - so why is it that they are just now being "captured" in a ball by some kid? Seriously, it does not make any sense to me whatsoever. Mewtwo was created in a laboratory and upon awakening, killed those that created him, and burned the laboratory completely. Yet, in the game, he sits at the bottom of a cave, and battles your Pokémon, not you. He could easily kill you, as he does not want to belong to anyone whatsoever. The "Legendary" Pokémon in no way match up to their backgrounds.

Now, for how the Legendaries act in the 5th Generation. They should really live up to their names, acting as they do in the stories that depict them. If a Legendary does not wish to be captured, then they need to do something dire about it. In fact, capturing a Legendary should require much more than fighting it with a Pokémon of yours and throwing a Pokéball/Masterball at it. In fact, the Masterball needs to be omitted outright, as it provides a cheap way to capture any Pokémon in the game.

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/spirethree/Speculation.png[/IMG]

To further speculate on other aspects of the 5th Generation, I would like to start off with simply how it should be titled. Firstly, I see this as being one game, rather than two separate games, if you guys have been under that impression through this read. I also see it being made for the Wii rather than the DS. As far as the name of the game, I think that it should not carry on the color/metal/jewel consistency of version titling, but rather be something much simpler. Perhaps even, it could be named "Pokémon". No game has been titled this before, and it would eliminate the differentiation between different versions, rather bringing all of them together in one game.

[SIZE="2"][B]On a closing note, I thank you all for taking the time to read my ideas for the 5th Generation of Pokémon. Happy hunting fellow Pokémon trainers.[/B][/SIZE]

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
It's abundantly clear that you've put a lot of time and thought into all this, wanting to make the game that we all love better. However, while I do think your ideas are good and might be food for thought when it comes to developing the next pokemon games, I've gotta say that most of this is a 'best' a pipe dream, and some of which would make long time fans leave the series all together.

An overview of the new overworld

Out of all the things you've talked about, this is probably the one that makes the most since and prehaps the most realistac that you've got here. We've all been clamoring for a pokemon game akin to something of the Gold and Silver series, where we are able to travel one big world instead of just one small peice of it that doesn't have all the pokemon, traineres, and what not that all the other places have. Wanted? No question. Realistic? Not so much.

Also, I know I'm not the only one who'll agree with saying I don't trust ANY of the consol games, especially with Genius ( Supority at the wheel. They've more or less driven the entire Stadium series in the ground, and if they are even THINKING of doing the next consol pokemon game, I'm boycotting the entire thing right now.

Real-time Pokémon lifestyles and battling

This is where you start to go off on things where it's no longer pokemon. By giving the trainer a health bar as well as have him interact with pokemon in such a fashion is basically saying 'let's make pokemon like every other RPG in the world!'. Pokemon has defined itself as a game where the avatar of the player doesn't do the fighting, but his pokemon, and changing from this aspect too greatly would change the series in a way that most fans would probably not care for it.

Does the system need a change? Maybe. You've gotta remember while at it's base, all the pokemon games have been the same, every generation with the exception of the fourth has brought something to the field that has completely changed how we fought with pokemon. Gold and Silver brought us two new types, holding items, and the special split, which changed stratigy so much for certain pokemon it made some unplayable in competative battle while others skyrocketed into over used.

The 3rd Gen brought us Abilities and Natures, which further changed the game so that we actually had to breed pokemon mutiple times to get the right combonation of the two so that a pokemon could fight at it's peak. The first true understanding of how EV's and IV's that we got in the 3rd gen also helped make the series all that more interesting.

With the 4th gen, we didn't get anything really all that new other then Pokemon and moves, at least in the terms of what the prio gens have given us, but in it's case, I think that's fine, since it's fine tuning all the systems we've had before. 4th Generation takes everything we knew, and streamlines it.

What to expect for 5th gen would probably lie among something like this at the best. Although I have no true idea of what or how they're going to add to the pokemon costomizeation that we've got so far, I do know if they do change anything great with pokemon, it'll be here or in the next catagory.

New Type System

This, by far, is one of the most original ideas you've got here, but I've gotta say that it's also one of the most unrealistic. Even if you were to simplfy the entire thing by making specific pokemon always be a certain tempature, it might upset the balance of the game too much to really be implemented, unless it's handled VERY carefullly.

The whole idea of pokemon possible being a subtype that they were never ment to have is also very VERY out there. While I for one would LOVE the idea of having a pokemon that was far off the original color of it's original species without having the god high chance of running into a shiny (In particular, a Black Persian would be in my team almost instantly), having it have impacts on their types as well as tempatures, as you've said with your system, would throw everything we know about pokemon out the window.

At BEST, what we can expect from the next gen is either adding new types or the strengthening of old types. Frankly, while I believe even THIS idea is never going to happen, I'd love for them to change the Type system in such a way that pokemon like Golem don't die to a squirt gun, even if it's removing one of Golem's types to do it. With the exception of the Magnamite family, Gamefreak seems afriad to change anything about the older pokemon other then giving them new movies and abilities. Types have remaind static since G/S/C.

Pokémon Creation

No. Simply, no. Even if you were to limit it to the bare bones extent of a character creation screen, having people make up their own pokemon is a BAD idea. Either we'd get every little kids dream Super-Pokemon, or people who would actually spend their time to find out all the little things to where they CAN make Super-Pokemon, which in either fashion would kill the entire series when you're facing up against Mewthree, four, five, and six.

Ideas for new Pokémon

New Pokemon are going to happen. There's no stopping it. However, the one thing that 4th gen has done better then anything before it is giving some of the older pokemon much needed support in the terms of evolution. Yes, Pinser got looked over AGAIN, but overall, I'd expect to see more of things like this in the future, giving some of the old unused members of the Pokemon family new evolutions to where they are seen more often, or as I said earlier, a change in typing/typing system that would bring them more to the forfront.

Legendary Overhaul

The entire aspect of Pokemon is catching them all, which includes the legendaries. Yes, that doesn't make them all that realistic, but seriously, when is a rat the size of a small dog that can shoot out electricity fighting a huge snake made of stone and bolders realistic? We've already got several pokemon that we quite litteraly have to go outta our way to even catch, much less see in battle, so changing anything about the Legends would proabably be a mistake. At best, we can hope that they either stop making more Legends, or use some of the ones previous instead of just creating new ones.

Overall, You've got some great ideas. Can they be implimented into the game and still call it Pokemon? I don't think so. Several ideas change so much of the original idea that it would either be nigh to impossibly to impliment in the game, or change the series so much that it wouldn't even resemble the Pokemon we know and love.

Frankly, Pokemon, while has been the 'same' since the first gen at first look, has changed greatly as it is over the entire series, and I fully expect for it to change in a simular fasion with any new game that would come up. At best, this could be something like that Natures or abilities that we got. Frankly, I'm still hopefull for some type changing where Rock/Ground pokemon actually have a chance of surviving in the rain.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I couldn't ask for a better response, Silverline :) I did not post my ideas so people could suck up to me, but for critiquing purposes. The Pokemon Creation Method was merely implemented not because I necessarily strive for it, but rather for discussion purposes. I did state that it would most likely not happen, but I merely wanted to devise an explanation as to how it could work (because it is a question that many have asked about).

I do however think that my Type System could work successfully if perhaps simplified and worked with extreme care. As for the Real-Time Pokemon encounters, I do think that it could work if you wanted to change the game considerably. Perhaps the health bar for your character is unnecessary, as your point regarding it topples its logic indefinitely. It would not be Pokemon any longer.

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your response and look forward to more input and discussion about what the 5th Generation could/should bring.

EDIT: If any company makes a console version, I trust only Game Freak and Nintendo to make it. I haven't even played the past four console games for a good reason.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Really, for the Console games, they only reason they're there is so you can get the 2nd gen pokemon which were unavailable in the 3rd Gen. So for as 'collect them all' finatics, it was the only reason to buy the game. Battle Revolution was just crap in everything except the graphics, and even then that was poor.

As for your typing system, I'd think that what might be best is to give pokemon a set Tempurature, like they did abilities. So Geodude, for example, would ALWAYS be of Low Tempurature, thus giving him the added abilities as you listed. However the whole thing would have to be VERY CAREFULLY thought out not to completely turn the series on its head, mearly just adding another layer of stratigy like what we got with the 2nd and 3rd gens.

As I said before, the thing that I'd personally like to see the most for the 5th gen would be a change in the typing system, even if it's as small of a change as making Rock type pokemon no longer weak to Water. While I don't see this happening really, it'll still be fantastic for us to be able to use pokemon we love (Like My Golem) that were able to survive a Non-Stab Water Gun.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Don't you think humans would've learned after Mewtwo? Pokemon Creation is kind of a dumb an unrealistic addition.

Also, the temperature idea is a bit... weird. I think that's just change for the sake of change right there. I mean, I can understand that deciding where those pokemon hide, but it's already like that in the games. So that really wouldn't change much.

Regarding what silverline said about the idea of real-time in Pokemon... it really wouldn't be like every other RPG. In what RPG's do you fight using animals? I think this would add an interesting aspect into the game such as having to control the pokemon so that you had to protect the trainer as well (this could also make it harder to switch pokemon because it would leave trainers open for attacks).

And regarding legendaries, I say we either make Pokemon that would be vital to the existance of the planet (such as Dialga and Palkia) NPCs. They could be an interesting plot point if this is used correctly.

And one thing that I'm surprised you didn't mention in your post, Spire. What about the idea of Pokemon having more than just an option to get on Nintendo's crappy WFC, but instead a full-fledged MMO for pokemon. Sure, there could be off-line single player elements (for the story mode), but the addition of actually being able to interact with other trainers would be fantastic. The only thing that could hinder that in my opinion is Nintendo's phobia of allowing players to talk to one another.

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't have time to critique your topic, but I loved reading this. I enjoyed it so much I decided to post it on a site I am working on with credit towards you. I hope you will allow it to stay up, otherwise I will delete it for you. PM me if you want to see it for youself- I don't want to advertise.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Don't you think humans would've learned after Mewtwo? Pokemon Creation is kind of a dumb an unrealistic addition.

Also, the temperature idea is a bit... weird. I think that's just change for the sake of change right there. I mean, I can understand that deciding where those pokemon hide, but it's already like that in the games. So that really wouldn't change much.

Regarding what silverline said about the idea of real-time in Pokemon... it really wouldn't be like every other RPG. In what RPG's do you fight using animals? I think this would add an interesting aspect into the game such as having to control the pokemon so that you had to protect the trainer as well (this could also make it harder to switch pokemon because it would leave trainers open for attacks).

And regarding legendaries, I say we either make Pokemon that would be vital to the existance of the planet (such as Dialga and Palkia) NPCs. They could be an interesting plot point if this is used correctly.

And one thing that I'm surprised you didn't mention in your post, Spire. What about the idea of Pokemon having more than just an option to get on Nintendo's crappy WFC, but instead a full-fledged MMO for pokemon. Sure, there could be off-line single player elements (for the story mode), but the addition of actually being able to interact with other trainers would be fantastic. The only thing that could hinder that in my opinion is Nintendo's phobia of allowing players to talk to one another.
Well, we can connect a keyboard to the Wii now, which would be perfect for interacting with other players, so if Nintendo isn't big on a headset or anything, then that would be a perfect solution. Online would of course, be awesome. And yeah, again, the Pokemon Creation method was merely written because I had come up with a way for how it could be executed. Just food for thought.

Mewter

Smash Master
Hmm.... maybe you wouldn't have to create the pokemon as much as make them, if you know what I mean. First off, they could make it so that the pokemon's base stat totals couldn't exceed 450, and the moves the pokemon can use are almost directly aligned with its type. That way, the pokemon has a limited moveset, and stats that won't drive ubers mad. Along with that, maybe the trainer won't have to create the pokemon but rather discover it... that way, it might be just like in real life: New things are discovered all the time.(AKA no more lab pokemon like mewtwo) But maybe the trainer may have to pay a pretty price to register the pokemon's name on wifi and the pokemon itself before it is used... maybe 499999(Or half the max)pokedollars, and maybe you could pick a category for your pokemon(mammal:Rodent, Bat, etc; Sea creature: shark, crab,) and depending on the kingdom, you can add extra attacks to your pokemon's movepool for half the max amount of pokedollars And maybe you could use the newly discovered pokemon on wifi battles, but your opponent has to agree to it. Just some ideas.

So, we are all aware that most of the legendary Pokemon in Pokemon have absolutely no storyline at all.
Ex:
You start hunting for the Regis and Mewtwo and Darkrai and Arceus and.....
whatever.

For no apparent reason.
Well,I came up with this thread so that we could talk about this in detail, and hopefully provide ideas for Nintendo. Because I think that if they chose to, they could definitely do this.

So, I wrote some entries for some legendary Pokemon. With some help these may even be made better.

=========================================================
My Ideas for The Three Legendary Dogs Appearing:
Suicune:
Suicune was spotted and hunted down by some remaining Team rocket members who faithfully kept the group intact. At the lead is a former professor, who has now turnd to Team Rocket. They caught Suicune and did some experimentrs on it, in which it turned to either ice type or Flying Type. You have to decide. If you are on The hero side, it is flying. If you're on Rocket's side, it is ice.(Team rocket split into two groups.)
You break into the hideout and defeat all but three members, who flee and trap you with the maddened Suicune. You catch it at Level 65. It knows Psychoboost as a side effect of the experimentations.

Entei:
Entei is in Kanto, and made the Volcano erupt.
If you choose to work for team rocket, You are sent to journey into the heart of the volcano to cattch Entei with a POKEBALL. It seems impossible at first, but you have to do it anyways. You walk through the volcano, and all pokemon but fire pokemon get weaker, like with a burn... with every step you take. When you get there, you find that a goody-goody trainer is trying to protect the Entei, by catching it. You battle the trainer, who has all rock type Pokemon(It is Brock at a very high level). When you finally beat him, you have to battle Entei at level 60, and catch him with a special pokeball.

Raikou:
Hmmm....raikou is a hard one. How about this........Raikou has gone on a wild rampage, being controlled by team rocket, he is killing all generic fish in hoeen, kanto and jhoto

A)There have been reports of cities where vast amounts of thunder storms have been taking place. The electricity in the citoes are going out. You go to the power plant (if you visit the cities, no one will be outside, lights will be off and thunder will be going off) you see zapdos flying off and raikou trying to return power by using dis-charge or something. The power returns and you see raikou run off/start a battle with you.

B) Same thing as A but this time zapdos and raikou are fighting (thats why the power is going out and thunder storms are starting) from there im not sure but 1 of these 2 things could work

• You take a double battle against them and at the end the both go there sepetwrate ways from there you can catch them somewhere else.
  • You conclude the fight by stepping in, raikou runs away and zapdos goes back to the power plant.

Raikou is at a Power Plant, battling Zapdos, and the above circumstances that Bowser King stated are described. You face them in a double battle, with both of the Pokemon you are fighting withconfusion and half-way HP. You have to defeat one and catch the other. The other will be available at another time. Zapdos has a special moveset, and has boosted stats. However, Raikou is at level 70. You only get this quest if you are working for the Police as a regular trainer.

____________________________________ Mewtwo:________________________________________________
You find clues about the mmost Powerful Pokemon in existence in a diary, which you are FORCED to read. If you don't take notes, it will be almost impossible to decipher its meaning.
Once you find the meaning of the diary,you realize that the location of this Pokemon lies with....
And it goes blank.
YOu then go on a bunch of missions with every gym leader with you for assisstance.
Once you are done with the last one with Blue, he tells you a secret.
This secret is the key to unlocking the mystery.....
You need a A Level 100 Charizard, Venusaur, and Blastoise in your party if you want MewTwo.
If you want Mew, you can catch it after even more trials... and chasing it. It is available at level 5.
The MewTwo is special though. It has an ability that lets it learn EVERY MOVE. Like Mew.
It can also learn a signature move: Dark Bubble. It is a ? type move that inflicts 120 base damage with STAB at low health. At high health, it deals 20 damage with no STAB, but may induce a Flinch. You have to go through one more mission to get it though. It involves the scenario of the first Movie. And you fight a lot of level 60 clones with your own Pokemon. Finally you face Mewtwo. This is the REAL Mewtwo. It is available at level 80.
When he enters the field in any battle, his theme music comes on. Epic. It even has its own sprite.

_____________________________________-___Giratina_____________________________________________-

____________________________________-___ Arceus:______________________________________________
When you finally get to Orre,(Yes, Orre) you obtain a news of Arceus, . You go on in your travels, slowly gaining knowledge of the god pokemon, Arceus. If you go on enough sidequests in a certain amount of time instead of your actual quest, (Which is to get Giratina and Palkia) you get the chance to catch Dialga. In the Giratina scenario,Palkia opens a rift for you to enter the torn world, and in the Arceus Scenario,Dialga turns back time so you can revisit the time of D/P. You then have to travel to Sinnoh, find the trainer with Arceus,*You have to help him find Arceus, and deliver the Azure flute to him, which is in-game* and help him catch it.
You learn this trainer plans to challenge the Elite four with it, and leaves. When you finally beat the elite four, you are surprised to find someone else has already beat it.(Normally there are only four in the Elite four)
When you have beat him and registered at least 300 POkemon in the Pokedex, he gives you the Arceus.
The Arceus has a new form. It looks like a sacred lion with feathered wings, and twenty tails with blades at the end. It is Normal type/Ghost Type. No weaknesses, knows Judgement and a new move, Oblivion. It is a ? type self destruct which downs Arceus and one other Pokemon in your Party, and has a base damage total of 400. The arceus itself can change forms, but cannot be nicknamed until you train it to level 100. Its OT is Origin.
The Three Regis:
_______________________________________Regice:_______________________________________
Hero:
-In Hoenn, after you have beaten at least 4 Gyms, you acquire some knowledge of the region, and briefly hear about the story of the three golem warriors, when you are given an assignment from the Gym Leaders to go to see if the tombs are safe and alright. Three people in your team are chosen, meaning each one gets a tomb. You are then required to choose one. This is the story of Regice:

You have to travel to an icy rock in the South Pole, where you find that some ships are already docked there, which is weird.

-
_______________________________________Registeel:_______________________________________
Hero:
-In Hoenn, after you have beaten at least 4 Gyms, you acquire some knowledge of the region, and briefly hear about the story of the three golem warriors, when you are given an assignment from the Gym Leaders to go to see if the tombs are safe and alright. Three people in your team are chosen, meaning each one gets a tomb. You are then required to choose one. This is the story of Registeel:

_______________________________________Regirock:_______________________________________
Hero:
-In Hoenn, after you have beaten at least 4 Gyms, you acquire some knowledge of the region, and briefly hear about the story of the three golem warriors, when you are given an assignment from the Gym Leaders to go to see if the tombs are safe and alright. Three people in your team are chosen, meaning each one gets a tomb. You are then required to choose one. This is the story of Regirock:

________________________________________Lugia_______________________________________
When you get to Jhoto, you find that sme things aren't all right. After beating at least 5 Gyms, you find that you can't access the next ones... because they are flooded, and the area itself isn't safe. This is the only chance to get Lugia. If you choose not to go there and wait until it subsides, it will be too late, and someone will have gotten away with capturing Lugia. But if you DO choose to enter the quest, you will enter a ship and sail toward the Orange Islands. You then go to sleep(You can check out the ship if you want) and wake up to find that there has been an emergency tied directly to the ship you are standing on. You are then given a water pokemon by somebody and he tells you to take good care of it. AFter he bows to you, he he steals the third Pokemon in your Party and runs away.
You can either give chase to him or escape. The recommended route is escape. DOn't worry, you'll get your Pokemon back later in your journey.
When you finally make it out,you find he gave you a golden magikarp, level 1, which knows surf. YOu can surf on it if you don't have another Pokemon with surf in your Party. The only place you can go to is the Orange Islands, as the other places are cut out by whirlpools. When you get there, there are trainers waiting, and you have to get past them all to get to Lugia, who is being attacked by Kyogre. Lugia tells you in his pain that he was attacked by Kyogre in the Ocean, and needs help. You then have the chance to battle and catch Kyogre. But don't worry about that. The chance to catch him will come at another time. After Kyogre is defeated, Lugia agrees to enter your team as you have shown your skill. The Whirlpools have subsided when you finally go out. You are now free to look for the theif who stole your Pokemon.

To be continued Later....

TO be continued...

PS:Event Pokemon Tickets are distributed on the Wi/Fi every day, everywhere wher Wi/fi is available for the things described above..

---------------------------------
Revisions are necessary. Provide ideas and opinions to make it even better. I will listen to them, but I will probably not get around to them until later.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I want 5th gen pokes to look like this

honestly though, I think that having a battle system where speed matters more would be nice...maybe making battles not turn based, but rather iniative bar that progresses depending on level/speed (meaning lower level pokes take less time, and speedier pokes take less time, along with starting/wind-down lag on moves where nessecary. I know it would be a break from tradition, but I think it would make the battling less simple/easy, and add a depth to the strategy...

Mewter

Smash Master
haha, yeah. It'd be nice to actually dodge an ice beam for once(most awesome move in the world, when you're using it at least):)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Those are by far some of the best looking Pokemon to date (even though they're fan made). I enjoyed looking at all of them. The third stage grass starter Grandaroon would be MINE. That list looks incredibly balanced - far more so than any of the actual Pokemon lists. I have been inspired to created my own Pokemon roster now (in fact, I started doing so last night).

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Nicely done Spire :) it was an intresting read. Somethings seem a little farfetched like creating pokemon but if it turns true I dont see any problem with it. I would love the idea of trading cloned versions of your drawn pokemon. That way you could keep your creation but also spread your creations around.

Legendary overhaul- I agree legendry dont live up to there name, some off them are just there (shaymin and others). Legendary should be that you can only catch them if..

A) All the pokemon/ most of them are stronger then the legendary, my brother caught rayquaza before the elite 4 and his pokemon were trash like level 40's.
B) You must first lower there damage to red no mater if you use masterball or not.

Thats just my opinion :).

Spire

III
BRoomer
Nicely done Spire :) it was an intresting read. Somethings seem a little farfetched like creating pokemon but if it turns true I dont see any problem with it. I would love the idea of trading cloned versions of your drawn pokemon. That way you could keep your creation but also spread your creations around.

Legendary overhaul- I agree legendry dont live up to there name, some off them are just there (shaymin and others). Legendary should be that you can only catch them if..

A) All the pokemon/ most of them are stronger then the legendary, my brother caught rayquaza before the elite 4 and his pokemon were trash like level 40's.
B) You must first lower there damage to red no mater if you use masterball or not.

Thats just my opinion :).
I hated that you got Dialga/Palkia before the last gym. That was really lame. That completely destroyed the feeling of legendary for me. I thought that I would get them waaaaaaaay later on in the game, probably after the Elite Four. Eh...

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
This is quite interesting. Some of your ideas are very good, such as the trainers moving around. Personally, I would like it if they brought back the thing where you could call the trainers for a rematch instead of the crappy Vs. Seeker.
Others, me not so like, such as the temperature system and PokeCreation. My critism is of the way you ended this. You make it sound like this would be the Pokemon game to end all games. This is one of the reasons I am hesitatant onto the matter of merging the regions of the games. After beating it , I may feel unmotivated to do a replay, for I'd be thinking, "I just beat every region, Yes!... Now what do I do?"

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Sonic on the rocks, there would still be the battle frontier and the battle park/ battle area in platinum. Plus an underground (hopefully) of all 4 regions and a bunch of other cool stuff you did each game. A repeat? Well if you read everything then you would see there would be a lot to do. Not to say that other features that spire hasnt mentioned would be added (if spire wrote everything it would take forever :p)

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Pretty good read, the only thing thing my mind immediately rejected was the Pokemon creation idea.

I approve that pic.

honestly though, I think that having a battle system where speed matters more would be nice...maybe making battles not turn based, but rather iniative bar that progresses depending on level/speed (meaning lower level pokes take less time, and speedier pokes take less time, along with starting/wind-down lag on moves where nessecary. I know it would be a break from tradition, but I think it would make the battling less simple/easy, and add a depth to the strategy...
I like this idea, but at best, it'll probably only be a spin-off.

Ya, I would prefer if you could only catch legendarys after beating the main story line.
QFT

Spire

III
BRoomer
This is quite interesting. Some of your ideas are very good, such as the trainers moving around. Personally, I would like it if they brought back the thing where you could call the trainers for a rematch instead of the crappy Vs. Seeker.
Others, me not so like, such as the temperature system and PokeCreation. My critism is of the way you ended this. You make it sound like this would be the Pokemon game to end all games. This is one of the reasons I am hesitatant onto the matter of merging the regions of the games. After beating it , I may feel unmotivated to do a replay, for I'd be thinking, "I just beat every region, Yes!... Now what do I do?"
Well the "big change" would be made so that the game would first off -- seemingly last forever because of the incredible diversity. Plus, if you ever want to start over, the overall experience would always be different as you would run into different Pokemon in many different ways. In a very brutal way of putting it -- think of Elder Scrolls + Pokemon, except the Pokemon are much more important than the random spawning creatures in the ES games. This game would be so incredibly immersive that you would not beat it easily and you would not get bored of it. It's taking Pokemon to the next level (one of course that is very different) so that it does not feel repetitive (and hence does not feel the same), but simultaneously feels as welcoming as the very first Pokemon game we each played - an entrance into a world that we had never experience before.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I would prefer if you could only catch legendarys after beating the main story line.
i agree. i would rather catch the legendaries after the elite four. it makes it more challenging. also i would like to have better decent non legendary pokemon that you can capture along the way to the elite 4. some pokemon like floatzel and toxicroak were like really lame. they need better pokemon and they need to be more balanced than before. i hope it happens.

marthsword

Smash Ace
i agree. i would rather catch the legendaries after the elite four. it makes it more challenging. also i would like to have better decent non legendary pokemon that you can capture along the way to the elite 4. some pokemon like floatzel and toxicroak were like really lame. they need better pokemon and they need to be more balanced than before. i hope it happens.

?

There are plenty of good pokemon before the elite 4. Toxicroak has cool typing and makes a great physical sweeper learning sucker punch and is able to subpunch. He can also learn swords dance, and heals in rain. Floatzel has awesome speed and and great attack, and gets swift swim to make it very threatening. There are also plenty of other cool pokemon.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, re the ricemon: an aquaintence of mine made them, and yeah, good stuff.

re the battle system: I think that pokemon's battle system will never change, but imo it would be a better one than the current ^_^

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I want to say right off the bat that I think you blended some very nice ideas, and very well. (I really ought to get on with starting the fan club...:laugh:) But I do have some comments, so I'll just comment on each section like this...

We have played through four different worlds of Pokémon - each containing new and old Pokémon, towns, gyms, etc, etc. But, can this formula really hold strong? As we play through the same repetitive nature of the games, we grow tired of them, because all-in-all, they're the same, give or take the obvious differences that don't hold the game subject to being "different".

I propose the idea to either:
  • Merge the four worlds of: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh into one huge overworld for complete adventuring and exploration - collecting all of the Pokémon without purchasing multiple games, taking on all of the gyms across all four regions, and toppling the Elite Four Leagues across the nation, rising to power above all else. Or....
  • Create an entirely new world, much larger than any we have seen before that also encompasses all of the Pokémon, but is designed differently - either retaining the system of "gyms" or not.
The world should nevertheless, be a fully functioning world, with trainers not just stationed in their areas like they have always been (really, who stands on a pathway or swims in the water for all eternity?). Trainers should be completely functioning people just as you are, who if you do not see them move, at least "transport" to locations within their regional proximity (i.e. move from one city to another, but may move back to their original location, so perhaps even a cyclical-routine may take place over x amount of days). This would further exemplify the degree of realism and real-time lifestyles in the world.
I think I'd prefer idea A. Gold was just amazing with the combination of regions, and with the combination of regions, you can say "Hey, I remember that place!" Plus, instead of having to be just the same thing slopped into a game altogether, like G/S/C, parts of the old regions would change. The Power Plant was no longer abandoned, Silph Co. wasn't visitable anymore, a Train Station was added to Saffron, the music changed (it could be remixed, I'd probably prefer that rather than renewing it)...a LOT of changes were made to Kanto. In this fashion, long-time fans could be in heaven, while newcomers could be astonished with the huge region. They could even have storyline actually taking place in the other regions--maybe multiple storylines, different problems in some regions, sometimes entering different ones...that way it's not like the regions are just tacked on (which is sort of what Kanto was like in G/S/C...you had some storyline but it felt like it was an extra, like you'd already beaten the game and this was like the Battle Frontier, just much larger).

I like your trainer idea as well. You're right, it's not a very realistic idea that trainers camp in one area and just stand there all day long. There should be trainers that act like they're on an adventure. Maybe there could be randomized trainers, randomly put in places (but moving about, always) and given random Pokemon, based on a predetermined set in the region. Maybe after you beat the Elite Four in each region (assuming there would be one for each region, or at least some sort of challenge for each region) you could toggle random trainer encounters on/off. Since there are new trainers every time you visit an area, it would get irksome heading back somewhere, so the option to turn it off after you've cleared a region would allow infinite trainer fighting so you don't have to wait for trainers to be available for Vs. Seeker or to call you (although there could be some trainers that you meet continuously throughout your adventure that you exchange Cell Phone numbers with who can call you for a rematch). In fact, maybe trainers would remain the same throughout your initial run through the region, and once you defeat it new ones come every time you come to an area, the on/off option still there.

Now, in all of the games, we have always played with a pre-designed character. In the 5th Generation, we should be able to design our own characters - altering their gender, age, height, weight, eye/hair color, clothing, etc, etc. This would personalize the game tenfold and would prevent an older player from being forced to play as a ten-year-old.
Yes. Just yes. This would be great. This way we don't have to wear a beret or a pillowcase (*cough*DiamondPearl*cough*) on your head if you don't want to, you can choose. Trainer costumes from previous generations could be available with the color customization option there. But those would not be the only available things, so it's merely an option if you're a fan of a previous costume or you're just nostalgic for one of the previous generations. Also, the age alteration would be GREAT. They should at least move the default age up a little bit. How many (intelligent) parents would actually let their ten year-old adventure all around fighting bad guys and capturing legendary Pokemon? That's not realistic at all. True, Pokemon aren't realistic (although it would win if they were) but that's different; Pokemon add to the concept. That kind of unrealisticness is necessary, whereas just nonsense stuff that doesn't add to the game at all, just make it seem less plausible, are not. At least make it a teenager, or give us an age option.

Also, on the topic of realisticness, I think (seriously) that Nintendo should read the comic Pebble Version, or other parodies of Pokemon in comic form (I don't know of any others, but they may exist). It's hilarious, but it points out a lot of things that are extremely unrealistic (like houses without doors) and Nintendo could work on those to make the game feel a lot better.

As for how one adventures around the world - well the world should be relatively designed so that you much follow certain routes and what not, but they should be expanded so that you do not feel as if you are following a path, bordered by non-passable walls such as trees. You should feel as if you are in an environment that looks inviting to explore, not just to stroll on through. There should be nooks and crannies in the rock, tall and short patches in the grass, thick and thin trees to walk around. The world should indefinitely be very explorable, so catching Pokémon would feel entirely different, and include a bit of environmental strategy.
This definitely is a good idea. I never really thought of it before, but you're right, the world is closed up. It makes it harder to get lost, but it should have a sense of exploration. Hide valuable items in nooks and crannies, so you have to explore, don't make an awesome item obtainable by an HM...that's just a hassle, it adds no challenge whatsoever. You shouldn't feel contained in the world, you should feel free, sort of like the Metroid games, but not exactly. So you're exploring, you go back to areas occaisonally instead of passing through and never coming back, and maybe they could add some strategy. Like in Metroid, with hidden passages, just not as well hidden, so you're not getting into things like bombs to open up passages. Just something that you'll have to look around a bit to see.

One last thing to note: both the 1st and 3rd Generations were parallel, while the 2nd and 4th were parallel. If a 5th is made, it should not be parallel to either of the past four, but rather take place in a time after all four; in an "alternate Pokémon reality" altogether, where none of the events that occurred in the four generations ever happened; or simply be all four fused together so the player gets to experience all of it.
I don't quite understand what you mean about the parallels of the generations. Maybe I'm just looking at it from a different angle, can you explain to me what you're talking about?

I'm more for it being a fusion of the games than being its own game. As interesting as it would be, it would be sort of sad to have to wipe everything we know about Pokemon thus far out of our minds. Plus, a fusion would be pretty awesome.

Tired of randomly encountering Pokémon? Then this is for you. Pokémon should be able to be spotted in the wild so you can decide whether or not you would like to catch it. It would add strategy to adventuring rather than running around a patch of grass just waiting for a certain Pokémon to show up. Pokemon would still live in their respective environments, but you may very well see one adventure off for whatever reason. Pokémon should run on a non-linear schedule, consisting of their basic habits with what they do in the wild - which includes interaction with other Pokémon. Different Pokémon will of course act differently. Some will live a carefree life, bouncing around the wilderness, befriending other carefree Pokémon, while others will be ruthless, attacking Pokémon weaker than themselves.

This concept is directly related to how you play the game. While you are out adventuring around, you may or may not stumble on to Pokémon in the wild, and even if you do, you would not have to encounter it. How you play no longer is written by hidden dice rolls, but rather by how you want to play. Pokémon will respond to you as a trainer - some will attack you, others will not. In the past games, all Pokémon would attack you - even those that you would not think would ever want to do so. Now, however, Pokémon may flee from you after detection, may attack you, or may act passively, not caring whether or not you are there.

The idea of Pokemon attacking the player is obviously territorial, where the Pokémon feels that its space is being invaded by one who does not "belong" there. Not only does this apply to the trainer, but so does it to other Pokémon. This idea now introduces a new health system - not just for your Pokémon, but for you also. In order to "Black out", you need not lose all of your Pokémon in battle, but rather have your own health depleted. YOU will be revived along with your Pokémon at a nearby Pokécenter, where you can continue your quest from there.
You present this in a very reasonable and very logical fashion, but I still do not like it. Plain and simple, this is one area that I do not think Pokemon needs to change in. The trainer shouldn't have health which would make the trainer black out...save for MAYBE a bar that appears once all Pokemon faint. That would be nice, since it's unrealistic that you run out of Pokemon and you CANNOT get near Pokemon. The only exception would be in Trainer battles, where you'd automatically lose if they beat you. I still maintain that the trainer should not fight at all, though.

As for Pokemon in the overworld, another no-no in my head. Random encounters are fairly annoying, but on the other hand, that IS Pokemon. Changing that would make it go in a COMPLETELY different direction, one that I don't think it would return from, and one I think it would suffer in.

In order to further expand the world of the Pokémon themselves, I propose a new type-system. We are all aware of the many types that Pokémon may possess: Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, etc, etc. However, it has come to the point where this system has been overused too much, and Pokémon individuality is only expressed through their appearance rather than their type (this is semi-true). If the games continue to grow like they have been, we will end up with absurd Pokémon that may be Fire/Ice types, alluding to the developers' lack of innovation, imagination, and the repetition and burnout of ideas as every idea has been used up.

My new type-system retains all of the known Pokémon types, but adds a new element -- "Temperature". The temperature of Pokémon determine where they live, how they react in different environments, how they interact with other Pokémon, and of course - adds a twist to the weaknesses, strengths, and resistances in battle to other types.

For example, a Rock-Type Pokémon who has a high Temperature may be especially resistant to Fire-Type attacks, and may also possess some Fire-Type attributes, like resistance to Ice, Steel, Grass, and Bug, while its weakness to ground and water would go up even more (only slightly would it be affected in these ways).

There should be three levels of Temperature - high, neutral, and low. Below, I will list which Types are related to each level of Temperature:

Basically, the types listed in the above Temperature Table are what Temperature they are most commonly affiliated with, however there are exceptions to most of the types (obvious ones would be cold-water Pokémon, or warm-grassland Pokémon). Now, within each type, Pokémon may be of any Temperature (since a lot of Pokémon are dual-types). Now, the Temperature would apply 65% to its first type and 35% to its second type.

So a Pokémon that is Psychic/Ice and had a High Temperature would be normal-Psychic (no alterations), but the Ice would be 35% HT (High Temperature) closer to Psychic than Ice, which would essentially begin to neutralize that Type, further changing its weaknesses, strengths, and resistances. The Ice type's weakness to Fire, Rock, and Fighting would decrease, but its weakness to Steel would increase. However, because it is closer to being NT (Neutral Temperature), its strength against Dragon, Flying, Grass, and Ground would decrease. In other words, the further a type is from another on the table, the more potent its weaknesses, strengths, and resistances are. Essentially, the secondary types want to be isoelectronic with its primary type. High Temperatures are regulated at 100 degrees, Neutral at 50, and Low at 0. In the example, the Ice type rose 35%, so it would be 35 degrees closer to Neutral, 15 from being Neutral and 65 from being High.

COLORATION-TYPE RELATION
The coloration of Pokémon needs to be diversified as part of this overhaul in making the game feel and play differently. I'm sure we're all tired of seeing the same Pokémon over and over and over again (with an incredibly small chance of finding an alternate-colored one). I think that Pokémon should have many varieties as to how they appear. This may be evident in:
  • A slight difference in hue
  • Different patterns on their bodies besides the default
  • Extended, retracted, or otherwise altered features like seen in the male/female differences amongst Pokémon in the 4th Generation.
  • Slight new features such as horns, etc.
This way, Pokémon would never be the same, but wouldn't appear entirely different under normal conditions. However, there are certain circumstances where a Pokémon may appear very different than its common counterpart(s). Firstly, individual Pokémon within the same species may [rarely] appear to be aligned with a type unnatural to them. For instance, a Charmander may possess purple/green spots on its back, or may be slightly purple/green in hue - indicating that its not just a Fire-type, but a Fire/Poison type. The Poison type may not be very prominent as a secondary type, and may only exist as about 15% of the Charmander's makeup, while the other 85% is made up of Fire. Still, it would have about 15% weakness to all Types that are strong against Poison. Rarely does this happen in nature, but by breeding Pokémon, they may acquire traits that would almost never be seen in the wild. Of course in battle, you may not be able to tell what mysteries are behind the Pokémon's type, so that is why trying different attacks to see what it is and isn't weak against would aid you in your on-the-spot research; catching it would be a sure way of discovering its statistics also. Generally, any Pokémon of the "Neutral Temperature" can live in environments of High, Neutral, or Low Temperatures, but rarely could one of High live in Low, and vice versa.

Now that I have covered Temperatures and color-variation, it's time that I bring the two together. Very rarely, you may find a Pokémon who is a "pure", or in other words, is of the purest form of its primary type. These occurrences are specific to the Pokémon's original type-combination and how isoelectronic its second type is with the first. One example would be Haunter, a Ghost/Poison Pokémon. If its Poison type were 100% isoelectronic with its Ghost type, then, it would no longer be Poison, but a pure Ghost. A "pure" Pokémon is one whose primary type is their only type, but is essentially doubled (as if it was Ghost/Ghost). These Pokémon's strengths, resistances, and weaknesses are all doubled, causing for a very different strategic approach, as it would be essentially more powerful than any other of its type against those weak to it, but in turn it would be far weaker to those strong against it. The color variation of these Pokémon are always very different. With the Haunter example, it would not longer be purple, but perhaps a hazy light blue, or pure black. These Pokémon are not as rare as shiny Pokémon, but are still considerably hard to find.
I've already commented on this in another thread, so I don't have a whole lot to say. But I will say that I like how you fleshed it out a little more, I like the idea of a "pure" pokemon, the coloration differences, other differences in apperance, so it makes a cave with infinity + 1 Zubats a little more exciting. I love the way you took the ideas, put them to their limits, but they're still really awesome, in my opinion. This maintains Pokemon's system with an addition. It's like Natures and Abilities, in a way, just a little different and a little more complex.

Yes, I know most of you are saying, "what?" as you read the title of this section, but bear with me - it probably won't happen, but I have devised an explanation as to how it could.

Pokémon creation would be a very, very expensive task to do - and would require the collection of certain "ingredients" to do so. Pokémon creation would occur in some kind of Pokémon Creation Facility/Laboratory. Firstly, you would need to obtain a "Base Pokémon DNA Strand". Essentially, with this item only, you could create a Normal-type Pokémon with a limited palette. The creation process would consist of the "genetic material addition" and the "form design", with the latter being the actual drawing of the Pokémon. It would be drawn using a pixel-shader board and a color palette (similar to designing a t-shirt in Animal Crossing) with about 100x100 pixel dimensions.

Other genetic materials that you can add would be "Type Genes" such as "Electric Gene", or "Rock Gene". You may only add two Type-Genes (of course), and may designate which is the primary and which is the secondary. You may also add "Evolution Genes" to designate how many stages in the family of your new species there are. You may add "Stage 2 Gene", "Stage 3 Gene" or "Baby Gene". You cannot have both a Baby and a Stage 3 Gene in the DNA makeup, for that would be four stages. You must also add 15 TMs that are relative to the Pokémon's types, along with choosing a basic attack and stat-effecting move (i.e. scratch, tackle, pound, growl, leer, tail whip, etc). The 15 TMs that you add will automatically be given levels at which your Pokémon will learn them (for all stages; some TM's will only be obtainable at certain stages).

When designing the Pokémon, you are at first given a base, "normal" palette, consisting of watered down colors (nothing vibrant or very well saturated). However, depending on what Type Genes you insert, you will unlock extra palettes (a Fire Gene will unlock a palette with reds, oranges, yellows and the like, while a Water Gene would unlock a range of blues, aquas, and maybe some coral-colors).

When all steps have been completed, you must pay the cost of development (there is a fee for each Type Gene, Evolution Gene, and TM that you insert). After paying the total cost, you must return a few days (or a week) later to pick up your Pokémon. It will be at level 1 with the base attack and stat-effecting moves that you designated during the creation process.
I know that this was just food for thought, so I know you didn't mean it seriously, but I'll give my opinion on it.

This goes along with the Real-Time Pokemon idea in that you presented it in a great way, but the concept is just not something I like. As cool as it is, when the downsides come into play, I realized it just would not work. It would add too many possibilities for the game. I know there shouldn't be such a thing as too many possibilities, but I think there is in this case. Even if it would cost cash, and lots of it, to make a Pokemon, it would still get too out of control, or too in control, if you know what I mean. You would no longer have to be really imaginative with the Pokemon you're given, you could just mix the types with what sort of stats you want. It would be difficult to set up a system for actually using them with other people, plus, those reasons aside, there's always going to be the outbreak of immature teenagers making multiple Pokemon based on genitalia, and just in general there would be things like word Pokemon, Pokemon based on people, blob Pokemon...it would get ridiculous. Although it would be awesome to create a real Missingno Pokemon. ;)

What new Pokémon could await us in the 5th Generation? Personally, I do not think any new Pokémon are necessary, as my system expands the Pokémon that we already have tenfold. However, judging by the inclusion of evolved forms of 1st Generation Pokémon in the 4th Generation, I would guess that more additions to families that we are familiar with would appear (either normal evolutions, pre-evolutions, or sub-evolutions, such as the Tyrogue-Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop family). Also, we can definitely expect to see some new legendaries as the number of them have been increasing as the generations grow in number.
Yes, I agree, and hope this happens. Although you know more Pokemon will be added regardless. I just wish they would keep it to a minimum, like 25 Pokemon. That way they wouldn't have to blow their heads off to create 100 new Pokemon and end up creating not only a Nose Pokemon, but an EVOLUTION to a Nose Pokemon (If you've seen my posts before, you've most likely heard me complain about this repetitively, and no, I will never get over it.) Also, we could appreciate and really look into the new Pokemon instead of having too many new ones. Also, it would prolongue Pokemon's life and postpone the arrival of the imminent wall.

If the Legendary Pokémon do not feel so "Legendary" to you, then we have something dire in common. The level of importance in the history behind the Legendary Pokémon has grown over the generations, where in R/S/E, the main Legendaries are tied directly to the Earth, Sea, and Sky, while in D/P, the main Legendaries are tied directly to Time and Space. Now, these Pokémon seem to be of too high a calibur to simply be caught in a Pokéball by a ten-year old and used to do his bidding whenever, wherever. Of all the trainers in the Pokémon world, why is it that a ten-year old is the one to catch the almighty Legendaries? Also, the Legendary Pokémon are much to static - in that they really do not do anything special throughout the game. Yes, they are given very deep and interesting histories, but what they are said to do in these 'legends' is completely non-evident in how they act when you confront them.

Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza have been alive for thousands of years, and Dialga and Palkia since the beginning of existence - so why is it that they are just now being "captured" in a ball by some kid? Seriously, it does not make any sense to me whatsoever. Mewtwo was created in a laboratory and upon awakening, killed those that created him, and burned the laboratory completely. Yet, in the game, he sits at the bottom of a cave, and battles your Pokémon, not you. He could easily kill you, as he does not want to belong to anyone whatsoever. The "Legendary" Pokémon in no way match up to their backgrounds.

Now, for how the Legendaries act in the 5th Generation. They should really live up to their names, acting as they do in the stories that depict them. If a Legendary does not wish to be captured, then they need to do something dire about it. In fact, capturing a Legendary should require much more than fighting it with a Pokémon of yours and throwing a Pokéball/Masterball at it. In fact, the Masterball needs to be omitted outright, as it provides a cheap way to capture any Pokémon in the game.
I agree with this. I think they should be obtainable, but I think that they shouldn't be like a normal battle. It should act like a normal battle at first, but follow a Groudon/Kyogre concept, except just for your battle with them. (Yes, it's irksome to have them be really awesome up until you catch them...but it's more sensible.) An example of this is best done with Dialga/Palkia. When you enter the fight, it's just like normal, but once your Pokemon is out, it says something like "Time has been slowed down!" for Dialga, and your speed is halved, offering an added challenge. Palkia could have the ability to move objects to block attacks, making a 50% chance of the attack being blocked, using his Space-altering abilities. This isn't fully fleshed out, but that's just the basic concept.

As for Master Ball, I agree as well. As awesome as it is, and as disappointing as it would be to see it disappear, it just gives you an easy way out for one Pokemon and adds the decision of "Which Pokemon do I use it on?!" I think the best way to do it, though, is to make the Master Ball not usable against legendaries. It seems pointless, but it makes the Master Ball more plausible for using on a Shiny Pokemon which appears out of nowhere or a "pure" Pokemon appearing. It's still a freebie, but it makes it so you don't have to constantly have a Pokemon perfectly suitable for such a battle just in case. Of course, you only have one opportunity to use it, but I still think that is most suitable.

To further speculate on other aspects of the 5th Generation, I would like to start off with simply how it should be titled. Firstly, I see this as being one game, rather than two separate games, if you guys have been under that impression through this read. I also see it being made for the Wii rather than the DS. As far as the name of the game, I think that it should not carry on the color/metal/jewel consistency of version titling, but rather be something much simpler. Perhaps even, it could be named "Pokémon". No game has been titled this before, and it would eliminate the differentiation between different versions, rather bringing all of them together in one game.
I did get the impression that you wanted it to be just one game.

I actually disagree with just about that whole thing, though. You know that, for the next REAL Pokemon adventure (meaning not a Colosseum/XD-esque game) Nintendo will have 2 versions. They get more money that way. Those who don't have friends who play and Pokemaniacs will get the other game, thus landing them twice as much money for not much more work. Also, I prefer it that way. I don't know why...I honestly cannot explain to you why. I'm trying to think of why, and I can't. But I just prefer it.

Also, I'd prefer it to be handheld. The DS's capabilities are really good, so you can have a nice looking game without having it be for a console. Also, handheld games allow them to be...well, portable, which I like. I'm not against console games, but being tied down to one location can be difficult. The issue of "How do they fit it all in a handheld game" could be a problem, but they could maybe use the GBA slot, a larger game cartridge, or something similar to give them more room. I don't know exactly how it'd work, but I'm sure it could work in some way, shape, or form.

As for the title, I don't like plain Pokemon. It would feel too much like it SHOULD be the first game, and it would be too bland, I think. Obviously if there are versions, you'd have to have a different system. I think they should change the system, no longer being colors, gems, etc. I can't think of any creative titles at the moment, but...it should definitely change. If it were a single title, it could be something that feels like a big adventure...like "Pokemon: The Era of Exploration" only less cheesy and a little more creative.

One more thing I have to add is about the Pokemon names. The names are starting to feel really blunt. Really stupid. I mean c'mon, Glameow? Buizel? It's just a little annoying. I propose they be a little more creative (or at least less blunt) and possibly turn to some Latin for the names. I mean, I'm a Latin geek, so I'm obviously going to want that, but it would be creative, it could make sense, but it wouldn't have to be so blunt.

All in all, there are a couple of ideas I disagree with, but...wow. These ideas are great. Not that I didn't expect that from you, though. ;)

I really ought to make a fan club for you though...I even thought of an awesome name. Ready for it? Ready? InSPIREd. You know it's awesome. :laugh:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I want to say right off the bat that I think you blended some very nice ideas, and very well. (I really ought to get on with starting the fan club...:laugh:) But I do have some comments, so I'll just comment on each section like this...

I think I'd prefer idea A. Gold was just amazing with the combination of regions, and with the combination of regions, you can say "Hey, I remember that place!" Plus, instead of having to be just the same thing slopped into a game altogether, like G/S/C, parts of the old regions would change. The Power Plant was no longer abandoned, Silph Co. wasn't visitable anymore, a Train Station was added to Saffron, the music changed (it could be remixed, I'd probably prefer that rather than renewing it)...a LOT of changes were made to Kanto. In this fashion, long-time fans could be in heaven, while newcomers could be astonished with the huge region. They could even have storyline actually taking place in the other regions--maybe multiple storylines, different problems in some regions, sometimes entering different ones...that way it's not like the regions are just tacked on (which is sort of what Kanto was like in G/S/C...you had some storyline but it felt like it was an extra, like you'd already beaten the game and this was like the Battle Frontier, just much larger).

I like your trainer idea as well. You're right, it's not a very realistic idea that trainers camp in one area and just stand there all day long. There should be trainers that act like they're on an adventure. Maybe there could be randomized trainers, randomly put in places (but moving about, always) and given random Pokemon, based on a predetermined set in the region. Maybe after you beat the Elite Four in each region (assuming there would be one for each region, or at least some sort of challenge for each region) you could toggle random trainer encounters on/off. Since there are new trainers every time you visit an area, it would get irksome heading back somewhere, so the option to turn it off after you've cleared a region would allow infinite trainer fighting so you don't have to wait for trainers to be available for Vs. Seeker or to call you (although there could be some trainers that you meet continuously throughout your adventure that you exchange Cell Phone numbers with who can call you for a rematch). In fact, maybe trainers would remain the same throughout your initial run through the region, and once you defeat it new ones come every time you come to an area, the on/off option still there.

Yes. Just yes. This would be great. This way we don't have to wear a beret or a pillowcase (*cough*DiamondPearl*cough*) on your head if you don't want to, you can choose. Trainer costumes from previous generations could be available with the color customization option there. But those would not be the only available things, so it's merely an option if you're a fan of a previous costume or you're just nostalgic for one of the previous generations. Also, the age alteration would be GREAT. They should at least move the default age up a little bit. How many (intelligent) parents would actually let their ten year-old adventure all around fighting bad guys and capturing legendary Pokemon? That's not realistic at all. True, Pokemon aren't realistic (although it would win if they were) but that's different; Pokemon add to the concept. That kind of unrealisticness is necessary, whereas just nonsense stuff that doesn't add to the game at all, just make it seem less plausible, are not. At least make it a teenager, or give us an age option.

Also, on the topic of realisticness, I think (seriously) that Nintendo should read the comic Pebble Version, or other parodies of Pokemon in comic form (I don't know of any others, but they may exist). It's hilarious, but it points out a lot of things that are extremely unrealistic (like houses without doors) and Nintendo could work on those to make the game feel a lot better.

This definitely is a good idea. I never really thought of it before, but you're right, the world is closed up. It makes it harder to get lost, but it should have a sense of exploration. Hide valuable items in nooks and crannies, so you have to explore, don't make an awesome item obtainable by an HM...that's just a hassle, it adds no challenge whatsoever. You shouldn't feel contained in the world, you should feel free, sort of like the Metroid games, but not exactly. So you're exploring, you go back to areas occaisonally instead of passing through and never coming back, and maybe they could add some strategy. Like in Metroid, with hidden passages, just not as well hidden, so you're not getting into things like bombs to open up passages. Just something that you'll have to look around a bit to see.

I don't quite understand what you mean about the parallels of the generations. Maybe I'm just looking at it from a different angle, can you explain to me what you're talking about?

I'm more for it being a fusion of the games than being its own game. As interesting as it would be, it would be sort of sad to have to wipe everything we know about Pokemon thus far out of our minds. Plus, a fusion would be pretty awesome.

You present this in a very reasonable and very logical fashion, but I still do not like it. Plain and simple, this is one area that I do not think Pokemon needs to change in. The trainer shouldn't have health which would make the trainer black out...save for MAYBE a bar that appears once all Pokemon faint. That would be nice, since it's unrealistic that you run out of Pokemon and you CANNOT get near Pokemon. The only exception would be in Trainer battles, where you'd automatically lose if they beat you. I still maintain that the trainer should not fight at all, though.

As for Pokemon in the overworld, another no-no in my head. Random encounters are fairly annoying, but on the other hand, that IS Pokemon. Changing that would make it go in a COMPLETELY different direction, one that I don't think it would return from, and one I think it would suffer in.

I've already commented on this in another thread, so I don't have a whole lot to say. But I will say that I like how you fleshed it out a little more, I like the idea of a "pure" pokemon, the coloration differences, other differences in apperance, so it makes a cave with infinity + 1 Zubats a little more exciting. I love the way you took the ideas, put them to their limits, but they're still really awesome, in my opinion. This maintains Pokemon's system with an addition. It's like Natures and Abilities, in a way, just a little different and a little more complex.

I know that this was just food for thought, so I know you didn't mean it seriously, but I'll give my opinion on it.

This goes along with the Real-Time Pokemon idea in that you presented it in a great way, but the concept is just not something I like. As cool as it is, when the downsides come into play, I realized it just would not work. It would add too many possibilities for the game. I know there shouldn't be such a thing as too many possibilities, but I think there is in this case. Even if it would cost cash, and lots of it, to make a Pokemon, it would still get too out of control, or too in control, if you know what I mean. You would no longer have to be really imaginative with the Pokemon you're given, you could just mix the types with what sort of stats you want. It would be difficult to set up a system for actually using them with other people, plus, those reasons aside, there's always going to be the outbreak of immature teenagers making multiple Pokemon based on genitalia, and just in general there would be things like word Pokemon, Pokemon based on people, blob Pokemon...it would get ridiculous. Although it would be awesome to create a real Missingno Pokemon. ;)

Yes, I agree, and hope this happens. Although you know more Pokemon will be added regardless. I just wish they would keep it to a minimum, like 25 Pokemon. That way they wouldn't have to blow their heads off to create 100 new Pokemon and end up creating not only a Nose Pokemon, but an EVOLUTION to a Nose Pokemon (If you've seen my posts before, you've most likely heard me complain about this repetitively, and no, I will never get over it.) Also, we could appreciate and really look into the new Pokemon instead of having too many new ones. Also, it would prolongue Pokemon's life and postpone the arrival of the imminent wall.

I agree with this. I think they should be obtainable, but I think that they shouldn't be like a normal battle. It should act like a normal battle at first, but follow a Groudon/Kyogre concept, except just for your battle with them. (Yes, it's irksome to have them be really awesome up until you catch them...but it's more sensible.) An example of this is best done with Dialga/Palkia. When you enter the fight, it's just like normal, but once your Pokemon is out, it says something like "Time has been slowed down!" for Dialga, and your speed is halved, offering an added challenge. Palkia could have the ability to move objects to block attacks, making a 50% chance of the attack being blocked, using his Space-altering abilities. This isn't fully fleshed out, but that's just the basic concept.

As for Master Ball, I agree as well. As awesome as it is, and as disappointing as it would be to see it disappear, it just gives you an easy way out for one Pokemon and adds the decision of "Which Pokemon do I use it on?!" I think the best way to do it, though, is to make the Master Ball not usable against legendaries. It seems pointless, but it makes the Master Ball more plausible for using on a Shiny Pokemon which appears out of nowhere or a "pure" Pokemon appearing. It's still a freebie, but it makes it so you don't have to constantly have a Pokemon perfectly suitable for such a battle just in case. Of course, you only have one opportunity to use it, but I still think that is most suitable.

I did get the impression that you wanted it to be just one game.

I actually disagree with just about that whole thing, though. You know that, for the next REAL Pokemon adventure (meaning not a Colosseum/XD-esque game) Nintendo will have 2 versions. They get more money that way. Those who don't have friends who play and Pokemaniacs will get the other game, thus landing them twice as much money for not much more work. Also, I prefer it that way. I don't know why...I honestly cannot explain to you why. I'm trying to think of why, and I can't. But I just prefer it.

Also, I'd prefer it to be handheld. The DS's capabilities are really good, so you can have a nice looking game without having it be for a console. Also, handheld games allow them to be...well, portable, which I like. I'm not against console games, but being tied down to one location can be difficult. The issue of "How do they fit it all in a handheld game" could be a problem, but they could maybe use the GBA slot, a larger game cartridge, or something similar to give them more room. I don't know exactly how it'd work, but I'm sure it could work in some way, shape, or form.

As for the title, I don't like plain Pokemon. It would feel too much like it SHOULD be the first game, and it would be too bland, I think. Obviously if there are versions, you'd have to have a different system. I think they should change the system, no longer being colors, gems, etc. I can't think of any creative titles at the moment, but...it should definitely change. If it were a single title, it could be something that feels like a big adventure...like "Pokemon: The Era of Exploration" only less cheesy and a little more creative.

One more thing I have to add is about the Pokemon names. The names are starting to feel really blunt. Really stupid. I mean c'mon, Glameow? Buizel? It's just a little annoying. I propose they be a little more creative (or at least less blunt) and possibly turn to some Latin for the names. I mean, I'm a Latin geek, so I'm obviously going to want that, but it would be creative, it could make sense, but it wouldn't have to be so blunt.

All in all, there are a couple of ideas I disagree with, but...wow. These ideas are great. Not that I didn't expect that from you, though. ;)

I really ought to make a fan club for you though...I even thought of an awesome name. Ready for it? Ready? InSPIREd. You know it's awesome. :laugh:
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, Firus :chuckle: It's late here, and I can't write too much, but one thing that really stood out to me was your comparison to the Metroid games. The older games were all sidescrollers, but then Metroid turned 180 degrees with a "make it or break it" game - Metroid Prime. People didn't know what to think at first, as it was an entirely different type of game, but... it revived the series tenfold, revitalizing it with fresh, new gameplay, far updated graphics, and extreme characterization of Samus, the environments, and all of the denizens of those worlds. It was an extremely intelligent move to take for the series.

Now to relate this to Pokemon. I do not feel that overall, the Pokemon series is dead - because it's still raking in tons of money as the youth continues to be introduced to the newest batch of games (as us older folk are beginning to grow away from it - that's not to say that everybody is, don't worry). However, I wrote this thread as my rendition of Pokemon's "Metroid Prime," Pokemon Prime if you will. I personally feel that the series needs to take a 180 degree turn, as we all know that [odds are] the 5th generation will technically be almost identical to all that have preceded it, and by that time, I think we will all have finally begun to tire of it.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a much extended response.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, Firus :chuckle: It's late here, and I can't write too much, but one thing that really stood out to me was your comparison to the Metroid games. The older games were all sidescrollers, but then Metroid turned 180 degrees with a "make it or break it" game - Metroid Prime. People didn't know what to think at first, as it was an entirely different type of game, but... it revived the series tenfold, revitalizing it with fresh, new gameplay, far updated graphics, and extreme characterization of Samus, the environments, and all of the denizens of those worlds. It was an extremely intelligent move to take for the series.

Now to relate this to Pokemon. I do not feel that overall, the Pokemon series is dead - because it's still raking in tons of money as the youth continues to be introduced to the newest batch of games (as us older folk are beginning to grow away from it - that's not to say that everybody is, don't worry). However, I wrote this thread as my rendition of Pokemon's "Metroid Prime," Pokemon Prime if you will. I personally feel that the series needs to take a 180 degree turn, as we all know that [odds are] the 5th generation will technically be almost identical to all that have preceded it, and by that time, I think we will all have finally begun to tire of it.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a much extended response.
Glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed writing it (took me about an hour, :laugh: lots of thought put into it).

That's actually a great comparison to Metroid. Metroid Prime really did turn it around, but in a great way. If Pokemon were to turn around like that, I'd really enjoy it. As long as it maintains the same basic concept, but changes in a huge way as well, I'd love it.

But yeah, the long-time fans seem to be drifting...but Nintendo seems to be catering to new audiences now, not caring if they upset old fans because...well, with their innovation, they're attracting new ones. What they ought to do is drop the spin-off game series and put everything into making a great new game for Pokemon.

I look forward to your other response. :)

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
I really like your idea for a fith generation, you really put thought into this...

I really like your idea for Pokemon creation. I don't know why everybody thinks that it is such a bad idea...
i don't know if anybody has played Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 Cobi's or Tara's (I personally think that Tara's adventure is one of the best games ever made, really good game, research it) but in it, there is a wonderegg option (possibly Dreamegg, its been a long time) but, you can make it what ever type of monster you want. You have to feed it items, to make it what type of monster you want. It was very hard to get one of the eggs, but people had gotten them
So, i think that Pokemon creation would be a very good idea if thought about hardly by Game Freak and Nintendo. Of course, they should be hard to get, but that price of half of maximum amount of money available is just outragous. The eggs should take weeks to hatch and you have to feed it certain items to keep it healthy or else it would come out as like a pikachu or something.

I like the idea for Pokemon creation and that Nintendo should make this game more for old fans than new fans. They should make it more competivaly based and harder to play than other pokemon games. I like the idea of mixing all of the games into one, but it is to early in the series to do that. Maybe just bigger than all of the others. Maybe to make it harder, the elite four, should become the elite 7, including the champion?!?! But you would be able to have one chance to heal all of your pokemon. There could be a lot of places to improve with this game. but, They could also seriously mess it up and ruin this game. They should keep the spin offs for their new fans.

Spire

III
BRoomer
We have a whole list of Next Gen threads.

Search.

-Ter
When I made this thread, all of the "next gen threads" were practically dead - having been inactive for quite a while. I put hard work into making this thread and I made it to establish my ideas in a concise and executive way so that people can read and discuss - building off of my ideas rather than the "Next Gen Ideas" thread and your own two threads: "Next Gen Items" and "Next Gen Plot". You created those two threads to discuss ideas for the next generation of Pokemon, while Wii4Mii 99 created his thread for the same purpose. I have now created my own and will keep it alive for discussion over my specific topics - whether they be realistic or not. I know you are an advocate of the expansive, aforementioned thread, but when a thread dies, another may rise to take its place - either expanding on, shrinking, or diverting away from the ideas present in the previous.

P.S. Oh, and Firus, sorry I never got back to you. A LOT came up and I never got a chance to do so. I'll make up for it ;)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
We have a whole list of Next Gen threads.

Search.

-Ter
When I made this thread, all of the "next gen threads" were practically dead - having been inactive for quite a while. I put hard work into making this thread and I made it to establish my ideas in a concise and executive way so that people can read and discuss - building off of my ideas rather than the "Next Gen Ideas" thread and your own two threads: "Next Gen Items" and "Next Gen Plot". You created those two threads to discuss ideas for the next generation of Pokemon, while Wii4Mii 99 created his thread for the same purpose. I have now created my own and will keep it alive for discussion over my specific topics - whether they be realistic or not. I know you are an advocate of the expansive, aforementioned thread, but when a thread dies, another may rise to take its place - either expanding on, shrinking, or diverting away from the ideas present in the previous.
Yeah, I have to agree with Spire...this thread is for HIS ideas and speculation. And considering Spire has some really good ideas, I think he deserves his own thread for this. If he were to go into the "Next Gen Ideas" thread and post this, it would get maybe one, two responses? This way, people can discuss HIS idea. It may sound a little self-centered when you say it like that, but it really isn't. In any case, unless a mod comes in and locks this thread, there's probably nothing wrong with it.

P.S. Oh, and Firus, sorry I never got back to you. A LOT came up and I never got a chance to do so. I'll make up for it ;)
It's okay, I understand. :)

Also, take a look at my signature...
I finally started it!:laugh:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, I have to agree with Spire...this thread is for HIS ideas and speculation. And considering Spire has some really good ideas, I think he deserves his own thread for this. If he were to go into the "Next Gen Ideas" thread and post this, it would get maybe one, two responses? This way, people can discuss HIS idea. It may sound a little self-centered when you say it like that, but it really isn't. In any case, unless a mod comes in and locks this thread, there's probably nothing wrong with it.

It's okay, I understand. :)

Also, take a look at my signature...
I finally started it!:laugh:
NO WAY! Hahahahahaha! That is awesome, my friend. I'll return the favor some day - you'll see ;)

Also, thanks for the support from you and everyone that has responded with either agreeing or disagreeing ideas. Let's keep the fire going!

NOTICE: There is an update to the "New Type System" section of the OP. Be sure to check.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I like the idea of the sprites changing--yet more of the diversification you're presenting to change up the series and make the game less repetitive.

I like the idea of mutations as well. That's not something that you really presented as an idea, it sort of just came up briefly, but that would be interesting to implement. Mutations could remove wings, add wings, add gills, etc. They could be simply aesthetic, or could affect how the Pokemon plays entirely. Plus, that's more actual science being implemented.

Also, I just want to say that the sprites you made as a visual representation look amazing, especially Drakizard. Once again, you have proved yourself to be extraordinarily superior to everyone.:laugh:

This is why you deserve a fan club.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, I think I'm going to start a little side-project, trying to create some Pokemon variations, like the few you made. Granted, they will likely not be half as good as yours, but I will try. I don't know why, I guess you've just inspired me.

Haha...
/bad pun

EDIT2: After a lot of hard work, I've made the first of the Pokemon for my project. Horrible, but I'll post it anyways;

Oh yeah, it's Water/Grass. Or maybe just Grass, I'm not sure; tell me which you think it fits better. It was supposed to be dual-type, but I might've gone a little heavy on the Grass.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I can see your idea for the new pokemon mutations, but I think you're taking it a little bit far.

Such as Charizard, who was originally a fire/flying type, shouldn't be able to become a water/ice type. That makes no sense. Maybe they could change into types that are closely related to there original types (ex: Fire can turn into rock and flying can turn into... something. Maybe new types should be implemented as well to support this system) because if they were to become the exact opposite of what the Pokemon is supposed to be, then it just feels like you're trying to sneak in your pokemon creation idea behind our backs.

Anyway, it's a cool idea as always, Spire.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I can see your idea for the new pokemon mutations, but I think you're taking it a little bit far.

Such as Charizard, who was originally a fire/flying type, shouldn't be able to become a water/ice type. That makes no sense. Maybe they could change into types that are closely related to there original types (ex: Fire can turn into rock and flying can turn into... something. Maybe new types should be implemented as well to support this system) because if they were to become the exact opposite of what the Pokemon is supposed to be, then it just feels like you're trying to sneak in your pokemon creation idea behind our backs.

You have a good point...but I think I have a good, scientific solution to this.

In real life, fish have evolved into land-dwellers. That is just one example of an extreme change. But it obviously occured over time, correct?

The way we could solve this is to make certain types able to turn into only other types, like you said. Types could change only by breeding in a specific environment, or maybe by catching a Pokemon in a certain environment.
In the case of the latter, it should be able to be any type.
But in the case of the former, fire types, for example, should only be able to turn into types related to fire; electricity being one example, possibly. So how would you get an ice-type Pokemon that used to be fire? By evolution. You would have to keep breeding the Pokemon until one of its types relates to the type you want; at which point, it could turn types to that one.

Let me give you one example; Rock to Water.

Rock -> Ground
Ground -> Fire
Fire -> Electric
Electric -> Steel
Steel -> Ice
Ice -> Water

That list was very quickly written out, and some of them are sort of iffy, like Electric - Steel and Steel - Ice...but I'm sure Spire can come up with a better idea.

Actually, I just realized Rock could relate to Steel, maybe even Ice, cutting out half of the chart...but that's the basic idea.

I'll write out a quick list of related types, which Spire can add to/correct later.

Bug - Poison, Flying, Ground, Dragon, Grass, Normal
Fighting - Steel, Ground, Rock, Normal
Flying - Bug, Dragon, Grass, Normal
Ghost - Psychic, Dark, Normal
Ground - Rock, Steel, Ice, Fire, Grass, Normal
Normal - All Types
Poison - Bug, Ground, Grass, Normal
Rock - Ground, Steel, Ice, Fire, Normal
Steel - Ground, Rock, Ice, Electric, Normal
Dark - Psychic, Ghost, Normal
Dragon - Fire, Flying, Bug, Normal
Electric - Steel, Psychic, Fire, Normal
Fire - Ground, Rock, Dragon, Electric, Normal
Grass - Bug, Ground, Flying, Poison, Water, Normal
Ice - Water, Ground, Rock, Steel, Normal
Water - Ice, Grass, Normal
Psychic - Ghost, Dark, Electric, Normal

Again, probably not the best list, there are some I know are pretty iffy...but that's my idea.

Spire

III
BRoomer

Actually, it was Dragon/Ice, not Water/Ice. The latter would be ridiculous, make no sense, and hold no relation to the original type combination of Charizard. Read carefully my friend ;)

You have a good point...but I think I have a good, scientific solution to this.

In real life, fish have evolved into land-dwellers. That is just one example of an extreme change. But it obviously occured over time, correct?

The way we could solve this is to make certain types able to turn into only other types, like you said. Types could change only by breeding in a specific environment, or maybe by catching a Pokemon in a certain environment.
In the case of the latter, it should be able to be any type.
But in the case of the former, fire types, for example, should only be able to turn into types related to fire; electricity being one example, possibly. So how would you get an ice-type Pokemon that used to be fire? By evolution. You would have to keep breeding the Pokemon until one of its types relates to the type you want; at which point, it could turn types to that one.

Let me give you one example; Rock to Water.

Rock -> Ground
Ground -> Fire
Fire -> Electric
Electric -> Steel
Steel -> Ice
Ice -> Water

That list was very quickly written out, and some of them are sort of iffy, like Electric - Steel and Steel - Ice...but I'm sure Spire can come up with a better idea.
Alright, you've started a really great idea on type-evolution. I kind of alluded to it, by giving a short example in my Charizard picture, but what you have come up with works really well. Changing types through evolution seems to be the key to achieving such a task. As for your example, I think it would better be put as following:

Rock -> Ground
Ground -> Grass
Grass -> Poison
Poison -> Psychic
Psychic -> Water

Your system strongly inspired my method (despite the differences). Of course, nothing I say is final, it is merely how I see it working. I will explain how it works. Rock crumbles into dirt, which is what Ground stands for. From the ground, Grass grows. Grass sports all types of plants - even those that contain poisonous substances. Poison is merely a protein that your body cannot handle, and in turn, the "Psychic" of the mind helps to fight it off and overcome it. Water is the key to life in our world and in the world of Pokemon, and in turn, what is necessary for brainpower - therefore surpassing it.

Actually, I just realized Rock could relate to Steel, maybe even Ice, cutting out half of the chart...but that's the basic idea.

I'll write out a quick list of related types, which Spire can add to/correct later.

Bug - Poison, Flying, Ground, Dragon, Grass, Normal
Fighting - Steel, Ground, Rock, Normal
Flying - Bug, Dragon, Grass, Normal
Ghost - Psychic, Dark, Normal
Ground - Rock, Steel, Ice, Fire, Grass, Normal
Normal - All Types
Poison - Bug, Ground, Grass, Normal
Rock - Ground, Steel, Ice, Fire, Normal
Steel - Ground, Rock, Ice, Electric, Normal
Dark - Psychic, Ghost, Normal
Dragon - Fire, Flying, Bug, Normal
Electric - Steel, Psychic, Fire, Normal
Fire - Ground, Rock, Dragon, Electric, Normal
Grass - Bug, Ground, Flying, Poison, Water, Normal
Ice - Water, Ground, Rock, Steel, Normal
Water - Ice, Grass, Normal
Psychic - Ghost, Dark, Electric, Normal

Again, probably not the best list, there are some I know are pretty iffy...but that's my idea.
I think the list is perfect :) As for Rock being related to Ice and/or Steel, it does for Steel in all ways, but Ice is just water, so even though it seems relative given the "hard, solid" form that they share, they are each composed very differently. My statement is debatable though, because if talking of composition, many of the types would be hard to relate one another. Your ideas are superb and I will add them to the OP with credits to you.

I like the idea of the sprites changing--yet more of the diversification you're presenting to change up the series and make the game less repetitive.

I like the idea of mutations as well. That's not something that you really presented as an idea, it sort of just came up briefly, but that would be interesting to implement. Mutations could remove wings, add wings, add gills, etc. They could be simply aesthetic, or could affect how the Pokemon plays entirely. Plus, that's more actual science being implemented.

Also, I just want to say that the sprites you made as a visual representation look amazing, especially Drakizard. Once again, you have proved yourself to be extraordinarily superior to everyone.:laugh:

This is why you deserve a fan club.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, I think I'm going to start a little side-project, trying to create some Pokemon variations, like the few you made. Granted, they will likely not be half as good as yours, but I will try. I don't know why, I guess you've just inspired me.

Haha...
/bad pun

EDIT2: After a lot of hard work, I've made the first of the Pokemon for my project. Horrible, but I'll post it anyways;

Oh yeah, it's Water/Grass. Or maybe just Grass, I'm not sure; tell me which you think it fits better. It was supposed to be dual-type, but I might've gone a little heavy on the Grass.
Water/Grass Feraligatr for the win! I think we should collaborate on ideas for alternate-type Pokemon.

Oh, another thing to note. Even though I presented alternates for the Charizard family, they do not add to the Pokedex, where they are actually still Charizards, just with different types (yeah I added optional names just to characterize them). So all three of those would still be of the same species - Charizard. How it could work would be that when you select Charizard in the Pokedex, you can flip through the different variations that you have encountered (this goes for all Pokemon - obviously).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I didn't post your second quote. Firus did.

Anyway, the idea of the Pokemon mutation thing is pretty cool. I think it should be a rare happening though like shinies are/were.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Ice Dragon type would be broken as hell.

I wouldn't really like the mutation idea.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I like the ideas you have, but Pokemon creation and mutation would not be a very good system. First off, it could be extremely unbalanced if you just wanted to make a really hard to defeat species. Second, how would this work with the pokedex?

It's just too difficult and complex, given the fact that there are 400-ish pokemon now - the combinations would reach to the stars!

Also, I've heard that the 4th is the last Gen.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Alright, you've started a really great idea on type-evolution. I kind of alluded to it, by giving a short example in my Charizard picture, but what you have come up with works really well. Changing types through evolution seems to be the key to achieving such a task. As for your example, I think it would better be put as following:

Rock -> Ground
Ground -> Grass
Grass -> Poison
Poison -> Psychic
Psychic -> Water

Your system strongly inspired my method (despite the differences). Of course, nothing I say is final, it is merely how I see it working. I will explain how it works. Rock crumbles into dirt, which is what Ground stands for. From the ground, Grass grows. Grass sports all types of plants - even those that contain poisonous substances. Poison is merely a protein that your body cannot handle, and in turn, the "Psychic" of the mind helps to fight it off and overcome it. Water is the key to life in our world and in the world of Pokemon, and in turn, what is necessary for brainpower - therefore surpassing it.
Yeah, that example is probably better...again, it was kind of a rushed Evolution chain, so I knew it wasn't perfect.

I think the list is perfect :) As for Rock being related to Ice and/or Steel, it does for Steel in all ways, but Ice is just water, so even though it seems relative given the "hard, solid" form that they share, they are each composed very differently. My statement is debatable though, because if talking of composition, many of the types would be hard to relate one another. Your ideas are superb and I will add them to the OP with credits to you.

Yeah, you're right...I guess it was just the solid part of Ice that made me relate it to the others, and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll probably need to change the list some more (although I'm glad you like it), especially to add in the Poison/Psychic similarity; I thought of adding it in, but I wasn't really sure if it would work. But if you think it works, it probably does, so I'll add that. :)
I'm working on making a simple chart to represent this, so it's a little better than a list.

Water/Grass Feraligatr for the win! I think we should collaborate on ideas for alternate-type Pokemon.

Oh, another thing to note. Even though I presented alternates for the Charizard family, they do not add to the Pokedex, where they are actually still Charizards, just with different types (yeah I added optional names just to characterize them). So all three of those would still be of the same species - Charizard. How it could work would be that when you select Charizard in the Pokedex, you can flip through the different variations that you have encountered (this goes for all Pokemon - obviously).
I'd love that!

That's probably the best system for it--I figured the names were just for fun, but seeing the forms via Pokedex is a good idea.

I'll try to work on another one later. :)

Top Bottom