• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry 11: Ike

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Tell you what. As an interested observer that isn't negatively effected by online play, I'd be happy to play against your guys' Ikes and see what we can divine from the matches. I'm personally of the opinion that Ike's at a slight disadvantage, but to be honest, I'm not 100% certain.

Plus, Ivysaur is my best of the three (Charizard, by contrast, is my worst), so it should serve to answer the discussion about their match-up if nothing else. Feel free to PM me or post here, and I'm sure we can work something out! :bee:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Can you play all the Pokemanz on wifi or something, because if not I would really only do that or just fight a really good Squirtle, I'm pretty sure that for Charizard and Ivysaur I got it as close to accurate as I'll ever get it. :/

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Can you play all the Pokemanz on wifi or something, because if not I would really only do that or just fight a really good Squirtle, I'm pretty sure that for Charizard and Ivysaur I got it as close to accurate as I'll ever get it. :/
Don't be so sure. I'm really hesitant about some of the points you make about Ivysaur, and that seems to be the strongest point of contention, anyway. It's pretty much unanimously agreed at Squirtle is at a disadvantage against Ike, so there's really nothing to figure out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Alright, Let's see what we can come up with then, I'll host the room, you probably already have my FC by this point anyway.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Don't be so sure. I'm really hesitant about some of the points you make about Ivysaur, and that seems to be the strongest point of contention, anyway. It's pretty much unanimously agreed at Squirtle is at a disadvantage against Ike, so there's really nothing to figure out.
What about Ivy? Like what points?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
To be frank, Onxy, I'm inclined to agree with you on pretty much everything you said about Ivy/Ike's match-up. But I want to experiment a little more with it myself.

Alright, Let's see what we can come up with then, I'll host the room, you probably already have my FC by this point anyway.
I'm at school right now, but I can play tomorrow! Drop me a PM and let me know what time (specify time zone! :bee: ) works for you.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Aww man, I guess that means I'll have to find some other way to pass time.

Well, if i happen to catch you online tomorrow I'll drop a PM I guess, otherwise I have some unfinished business I need to take care of...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, I might get back around midnight tonight (Mountain Time) if you want to play a quick set then. Otherwise, I'm sure we can still work something out later.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nah, that's still a little too early for me (10 P.M. Pacific), I got a bunch of stuff I'm going to have to attend to once I'm done finishing this sentence, We'll figure some time tomorrow.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Kinzer mine was a fairly poor showing for Ivy, you might want to play some others.

I was pretty affected by lag, I just very recently started playing online and have adapted to the way one must play online as apposed to real life.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
mmmm my squirtle is okay, i feel pretty comfortable with him once i get used to the input lag, since it varies by connection. :)

ALSO, something of note

if i go to hobo, and this is almost for sure, i will play arturito burrito in some matches at the tourney site. so it'll be offline with two experienced mains duking it out. not that everything should depend on it, but i felt this was necessary to say, because you cannot debate the fact that lag affects ike matchups more than almost every other matchup in the game.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Hobo 11 is going to be huge, maybe you can get more than one matchup information Steeler?

Onxy

Smash Lord
I feel that it's an advantage for PT.

Squirtle being a neutral
Ivysaur being a 6/4
and Charizard being a 5.5/4.5 to 6/4

infernovia

Smash Ace
Not that this is a Tlink discussion thread, but why does ivysaur have an advantage against tlink? His projectile game is way better.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Not that this is a Tlink discussion thread, but why does ivysaur have an advantage against tlink? His projectile game is way better.
TLink is WAAAAAY better. Ivy can gimp TL but its really risky.

And TLink IMO has the best projectile game in the game.

Onxy

Smash Lord
He has projectiles, so what. That's actually the only reason it's a slight advantage for Ivy. Ivy owns Tlink up close really badly. Out ranged, has overall more speed and range where it counts (aerial, and has way better tilts, but Tlink has better smashes). Toon Link's projectiles are actually really easy to PS, and I know of a video where someone does this vs a Toon Link very well.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
this isn't the place to discuss tlink

...but projectiles really really bother zard >_>

anyway, i'll play a lot of people, don't worry. right now my mother is a little angry with me but i'll convince her to let me go. or i'll just leave anyway. :D

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'd put Squirtle right around lower-neutral against Ike. Maybe a slight disadvantage, but I'd say 4:6 at the worst and 4.5:5.5 at best. Squirtle still has his pokes, throwing, size and edge guarding against Ike, and he should have nothing to fear from most of Ike's big kill moves.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I am saying 4:6 from past experience, but I never really went Squirtle vs Ike full like I did once with Ivy and Charizard. So go ahead and find out please.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Santi should play me. ;D

Squirtle 4/6

Charizard 6/4

Ivysaur 5/5-6/4

seems to be the status of the matchup right now. i'll get to play arturito burrito this saturday too, although idk if anything would change. maybe one of us plays poorly, idk. i agree with that analysis for the most part...i think if squirtle backs off and doesn't play aggressively, he'll do better in this matchup. squirtle can shift grab almost anything...and water gun is nice too, as long as you shoot before ike is too below the stage to hit him with it. for the lulz squirtle could try to backwards full hop as ike moves into aether position and water gun, perhaps pushing him into fd's gimp cove or something. idk if water gun affects aether though.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur has the advantage, trust me. Charizard does a big worse because he is slower than Ivy, with about the same over all range.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
but with flamethrower.

flamethrower is seriously huge in this matchup.

6/4 ivyzard mehbeh?

Onxy

Smash Lord
Not as huge as you think, because Ike can use Fair if he can jump over it. Vinewhip/bair is actually big in this matchup, because if forces Ike to approach you from the ground most of the time.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah but you should be aiming flamethrower upward anyway. the ivy points are good, although i'm not great at putting them to use.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I know, but still Charizard can get hit. It works on Ike, but not as well as things like Vinewhip/bair do.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah. using flamethrower proactively >>> reactively though. you are better off shieldgrabbing or just getting out of the way when ike fairs you.

Top Bottom