• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Platinum

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I think I personally like the 1st gen graphics the best. I don't know why, but 2nd gen just felt good but too overworked. And ElemMaster, 4th gen is so extremely slow compared to the other gens. A wild battle (just coming out and then fleeing) takes about 3 times longer than in the previous gens.

And zrky, you are absolutely right.

And um Firus, there has always been an imbalance of pokemon types. Water is the most common, and fire is one of the rarer ones, along with ghost and such.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
I think I personally like the 1st gen graphics the best. I don't know why, but 2nd gen just felt good but too overworked. And ElemMaster, 4th gen is so extremely slow compared to the other gens. A wild battle (just coming out and then fleeing) takes about 3 times longer than in the previous gens.
Actually, I have found that the difference in speed between 4th and 3rd gen is ENORMOUS. I got Diamond and played it for a really long time. Then, I completed the Pokedex and went on my Ruby file to transfer some pokemon and tie up a few other loose knots when I realized how friggin fast 3rd gen is compared to 4th. The battles take like 1/4 as long and so I really have to say 3rd gen is my personal favorite.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And um Firus, there has always been an imbalance of pokemon types. Water is the most common, and fire is one of the rarer ones, along with ghost and such.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. It's grown even larger in fourth gen, is my point.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I hate people who think that is true. Graphics has absolutely NOTHING to do with the gameplay and how good the game is. Sure, it helps but look at Megaman 9. That game came out last year and had NES graphics. It looked like this:

It got an 8.5/10 on Gamespot and came out on the PS3

Sonic Unleashed, another game rated by Gamespot, came out for the PS3 and had gorgeous and lush graphics. It looked like this:

It got an 3.5/10 on Gamespot and came out on the PS3. That is considered EXTREMELY HORRIBLE.

Try and argue THAT point. Graphics mean nothing.

EDIT: The SU picture doesn't like explode the screen width anymore.
Yes, completely true. When I was scrolling and saw the MM9 pic, I went and played it. =D

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Then use your bike.

Then you're really shallow and are going to miss out on a lot of awesome games because you can't stand a game that doesn't look like real life.

Why...does that matter at all? Oh no, you have a level 100 Pidgeot that only knows Tackle and Growl.

Release it! Wow, what a concept. Or better yet, don't catch a glitch Pokemon unless you're willing to face the consequences. In this case, considering your game is perfectly safe, I'd say the "consequences" are relatively mild.

Just because you have some really random vendetta against something doesn't mean the entire game is bad because of it.

And Mesprit and Cresselia continued it. Not to mention they're both crappy Pokemon in the first place.

That's not a legitimate reason to dislike a game. At all.

Well, considering you wouldn't actually have to do anything because Ash would guilt all of the Gym Leaders into giving you badges...I'd say it'd pretty much suck.

No, they don't.

Time moves, do you not remember the clock you set in the beginning? Day and night still occur. There's just no specific schedule for Pokemon, there's no events that occur on a specific day, and there's no visible difference.

It made it more realistic but it's not game-breaking. I was more concerned about the removal of the second region than "ZOMG NIGHT'N'DAY".

No, it didn't. There's still a much larger number of water Pokemon than other types and a smaller number of fire Pokemon than other types. It's just not as significant as in D/P.

If you're going to be on a forum around other people, blindly defending a game and being absolutely ignorant is not going to get you any brownie points.

Being a smart alec isn't going to win you any brownie points either.

Good. Then you can like the game. Say you like the game. Don't list off inane reasons and false statements to defend the fact that you like it.

Look, take your pathetic arguments with you on your way out. This is not a debate blog, its just for those who like the game to tell why, and if you're not gonna do that then you can just leave. ;)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
2edit: STAY AWAY FROM DAWN VIPER :mad088: :mad088: :mad088:
But Dawn is full of win and she's fun to play as I'll say. She's the second but number one character in Pokémon that want me to play as the opposite gender, (the other one is the girl on your avatar). XD

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Reviews mean nothing. Reviewers are inherently biased to Sonic. Everyone I know who's played SU loves it. They love MM9 too, but that's besides the point.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
Reviews mean nothing. Reviewers are inherently biased to Sonic. Everyone I know who's played SU loves it. They love MM9 too, but that's besides the point.
Sorry for the confusion. The SU i'm talking about is the Xbox 360 and PS3 version. They suck. Wii version is much better.

Also - I bought Diamond first and made Lucas(?) my character, so then when I got Pearl, I made Dawn my character. I will probably make Dawn my character in Platnium, since she has a lot more character than Lucas. Lucas is just like a copy of Red.

I don't have Platinum yet, but I'll get it soon. Sometime.

@Graphicsargument - Lol you can't counter that argument. But you are correct in that this is not a debate thread. I'll stop now.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Look, take your pathetic arguments with you on your way out. This is not a debate blog, its just for those who like the game to tell why, and if you're not gonna do that then you can just leave. ;)
This is a blog so it's ACTUALLY for a person to say something about their life or something that's on their mind. That's what defines a blog.

Then people comment on the blog. The discussion led to a discussion of the generations. But nice try.
And it's unfair to say "HAY GUISE, I CAN SAY WHATEVER I WANT BUT YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO CHALLENGE ME ON IT!" If you say something I find to be ridiculous, I'm going to call you out on it. No johns.

I like Platinum, I am very much enjoying it. The other three gens are still better than it. I love them all.

I didn't.

And yes, I played the Wii version.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Dawn is just like a copy of Crystal.
lol, I don't think so. Dawn has character, Marina was just there because more females got into video game, yes I know it's the same case with the other girls, but May and Dawn got they own character and main characters of the Pokémon anime. =D

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
This is a blog so it's ACTUALLY for a person to say something about their life or something that's on their mind. That's what defines a blog.

Then people comment on the blog. The discussion led to a discussion of the generations. But nice try.
And it's unfair to say "HAY GUISE, I CAN SAY WHATEVER I WANT BUT YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO CHALLENGE ME ON IT!" If you say something I find to be ridiculous, I'm going to call you out on it. No johns.

I like Platinum, I am very much enjoying it. The other three gens are still better than it. I love them all.
You proved my more right in that definition, I didn't create this blog to debate, so why are you?

Also, I never said anything even close to that so there is no reason to call anyone out, just stop.

Can we just end this?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
lol, I don't think so. Dawn has character, Marina was just there because more females got into video game, yes I know it's the same case with the other girls, but May and Dawn got they own character and main characters of the Pokémon anime. =D
Yeah, but they replaced Misty...which was rather irksome.

And I watched two episodes with May in it and her..."character" was HIGHLY annoying. =P

You don't love anything Firus.
=(

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Hmmm. I'm still obsessed with these games for some reason, but I donno if this one is worth it. It looks like it's the same as diamond/pearl, but looks like you are able to get every pokemon without trading from other games?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Yeah, but they replaced Misty...which was rather irksome.

And I watched two episodes with May in it and her..."character" was HIGHLY annoying. =P

eww, misty. Don't like her, she's too.. just.. eww.

Dawn is way better imo. She's appearently changing her permanent clothes in the anime too (maybe). Not sure if that'd be good or bad. I don't know how I'd feel about a walking christmas present being beside me all the time.

Probably good. I ask Santa to add her to my presents list every day.
Now THAT would be a treat.

>.> inb4 pedo remarks...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hmmm. I'm still obsessed with these games for some reason, but I donno if this one is worth it. It looks like it's the same as diamond/pearl, but looks like you are able to get every pokemon without trading from other games?
Unfortunately, that's not the case at all. There are a number of Sinnoh Dex Pokemon which can't be obtained in Platinum and require Diamond or Pearl (for example, Stunky and Glameow can't be obtained in Platinum -- Stunky needs to be taken from Diamond whilst Glameow needs to be taken from Pearl). When it comes to the National Dex, there are a number of Pokemon which need to be caught by having a GBA game in the slot. I think every Pokemon can be caught in one of the fourth generation games, so I don't think you need to use Pal Park to port the Pokemon over.

There are added features, though. For a full list of them, see this page.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Misty was awesome and May and Dawn should be tortured for all eternity. Well, maybe not May. And Marina was in the anime for your information. Pokemon Chronicles.

And Firus, you can get every Pokemon in the game except for starters and legends from previous games.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh yeah, forgot about that group.

Although you CAN get Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltres, and the Regis, in Platinum.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, I don't know why, either.

Stupid creators.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Misty was awesome and May and Dawn should be tortured for all eternity. Well, maybe not May. And Marina was in the anime for your information. Pokemon Chronicles.
You were suppose to quote me. O_o

Also I knew she was in the anime, but she's a minor character but played a major role in the Legend of Thunder saga/movie. Marina also appears in the D/P saga shown as a master co-ordinator sort of speak.

Lastly, May can be tortured for getting her *** kicked her last grand festable but Dawn is too hawt to be tortured because she has a Mamoswine that act's like an ******* like Ash's Charizard but going to be her strongest Uber Pokemon, she beat May in a contest, and she beat her mothers rival that destroyed her perfect streak. <3

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Quick question: As someone who only played the first generation (and the second, but second was in japanese at the time, so that doesn't really count.), is this one (or 3rd gen for that matter) as ridiculously easy as the first 2 generation games were?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I haven't played Platinum yet as I normally don't get the 3rd game of a generation. About the discussion of the best generation, it really comes down to preferences and which aspects of the game you hold most close to your heart. I for example don't give a d@mn about the night/day feature. It's neat, but I can sometimes get tired of seeing night time graphics from wanting to only play video games at night. Well, without further explanation:

Red / Blue / Yellow
Positives
+ The first game. So credit for the existence of Pokemon goes to these games

+ The 1st generation Pokemon were heavily based on worldly things such as various animals and plants, and it wasn't difficult to tell what they were based off of. Many of the later generations have pokemon that are difficult to tell what they are based off of and some pokemon are just cool spiky things. This can't be argued as a positive for everyone's case but it is a common thing people like.

+ THE ATTITUDE - This generation really put more contrast between trainers who treated their pokemon well and trainers who did not than any other generation. The only game that comes close is GSC. Unlike what you see in RSE and DPP, in RBY, most trainers didn't treat their pokemon with love. In fact, many trainers had whips (even the Gym Leader Sabrina). In this story, it was the job of the main character to learn that loving his pokemon wielded the best results despite what the rest of the world thinks. Trainers in general also had a darker tone. Most of the trainers didn't look friendly at all, especially the gym leaders and the Elite Four. I could even go on as to say that the pokemon were more vicious looking here than any other generation.

+ Appropriate number of legendaries. Really the point of legendaries was that they were rare, hard to find, and really powerful. Mewtwo was meant to be one of kind and the most powerful pokemon in existence, but now there is also Lugia, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Darkrai.

+ The difficulty was decent. It was possible to get stuck a few times, but it wasn't impossible to get unstuck either. Usually, just some good training against other trainers and wild pokemon could help.

???
-+ This game is really glitchy. Some people disliked that fact, while others loved it and enjoyed playing with Missingno.

Negatives
- Bad graphics. Despite having a dark tone, a lot of sprites looked really bad. This doesn't apply to yellow as much as Red / Blue / Green.

- Bad music. The note charts weren't bad, it was the sound quality used. Very old and outdated

- Small region. This generation has the smallest area to explore out of all the games. Compared to RSE and DPP, the towns and roads were really small and cramped.

- Dumb *** AI. Omg Agatha, stop using Dream Eater with Gengar, I'm not even asleep! The wild pokemon were okay, but the trainers were not any smarter and simply picked random moves.

- Competitively imbalanced. Trap moves immobilizes opponents and boils down to luck if the wrap pokemon is fast. Psychic type was without a doubt the best type in the game, being unaffected by Ghost and having no weakness except to the weak attack, Twin Needle. The number off pokemon that were commonly used competitively is really small. Double Team and sleep is God broken, even though they are too powerful in all generations. Special Stat covers both offense and defense. Everything largely boils down to type trumping.

Gold / Silver / Crystal
Positivies
+ Night / Day. Now the game has an internal clock that keeps up with the day of the week and time of day. Events and pokemon appearances could very depending on this. While this was mostly fun and created more involvement, this sometimes backfired on people who had time restraints and could only play pokemon at certain times.

+ Male / Female and Breeding. This was a cool feature that has been a staple since. What's not to like about it?

+ Revisit Kanto. This is still the only generation to allow you to revisit another region. This was really cool for nostalgic purposes and it was great to face all the old trainers. I was kind of dissappointed at how quickly this region was to beat.

+ better AI. Players weren't extremely stupid anymore.

+ Better graphics. Instead of having black and white or shades of a single color, GSC had multiple colors. The grass was green, the pokeballs where red, the houses and different colored roofs and you were orange!

+ Special Split. Now there is SAtk and SDef!

+ Love / hate. Added a new way to evolve your pokemon as well as provided two new moves.

+ Better competitive metagame. They changed the trap moves and added plenty of new moves such as spikes, protect, and roar to add to the game. With breeding, you could create diverse movesets for your pokemon. They also introduced holding items and two new types of pokemon.

+ Really good sidequests. RBY really only had 4 legendaries and a few people to find with items as their sidequest, while in GSC, catching the 5 legendaries was more involving, and you could go exploring in all the extra caves and people were harder to find.

Negatives
- Easy. I know I just said that they had better AI, but their pokemon were so weak that my pokemon eventually became stronger than whoever I was facing by many levels, which never happens in any other generation. More specifically, the opponents stop growing stronger for a while after you beat Jasmine, and the trainers in Kanto all use level 40-50 (with the exception of Red and Blue).

- The pokemon have the least menacing look in this generation. Everyone looks like a shiny plush doll, including Charizard and Gyarados.

- Competition wise, while it was deeper in strategy than RBY, it was also known for epically long stall wars. 2 player matches take forever here.

- Did the music get better? Barely

- Slow HP bars. I believe this generation was the game that started the bad trend of watching HP deplete really slowly at high levels.

Ruby / Saphire / Emerald
Positives
+ Best Graphics. This generation arguably has the best graphics of all the generations. Scenery is really beautiful and the battle fields were great too.

+ Great music. The songs on here were always fun to listen to and it really stuck out after hearing RBY and GSC sounds for years. The Elite Four having their own theme was really bad *** too. The RSE pokemon sounded good as well.

+ Huge Region. Most players do not realize this, but Hoenn is actually larger than Johto and Kanto combined! The towns and cities here were enormous and beautiful as well as the routes.

+ Fastest movement. You can run on foot now and you get a bike that is extremely fast. You were going to need this too to explore the huge region!

+ Competitive overhaul. They added EV training, Natures, even more moves, really crazy items, and pokemon abilities. All together, it dramatically changed the game.

+ Double Battles. Now you can send out two pokemon at a time or do 4 player 2vs2 teams.

+ Pokemon Contests. Not the best new feature, but was entertaining

+ Battle Frontier. For lots of replay goodness.

+ Intelligent AI. DPP and RSE both share about the same level of AI, both fantastic compared to GSC and RBY. The NPC in this game also tend to use a bunch of items increasing the challenge.

Negatives
- No Day / Night. A feature that was unnecessary to remove but was removed anyways.

- Couldn't trade back with RBY or GSC (this was due to the competitive overhaul)

- Lacks the darker tone that RBY and GSC had. Team Aqua and Magma weren't as sinister as Team Rocket.

- Lack of a good rival. I really disliked the loss of a that snickery, "Hey I'm better than you!" rival. The rival even gives up on training before he/she fully evolves her starter!

- Weird pokemon. This is where they began doing things like having pokemon with spikes and odd designs on their bodies.

Fire Red / Leaf Green
Basically RBY with RSE's competitive overhaul, graphics, and music. They did take away the dark tone though.

Diamond / Pearl / Platinum
Positives
+ Zomg pseudo 3D!!!

+ Best pokemon sprites. RSE may have had the best graphics overall They introduced varying difference between Male and Female which was really cool.

+ Online play. Who can argue with being able to play and chat with your friends over Wifi? That's really nice.

+ World Wide trade.

+ Physical / Special Split. Added some realness because of the oddness of having moves like Shadow ball and hyperbeam be considered a physical attack.

+ Overhauled Pokemon Contests.

+ Even more Competivie goodies. More moves, pokemon, abilities, items etc.

+ Online battle tower + new Battle Frontier.

+ Best difficulty. The levels are high AND the AI is intelligent.

Negatives
- Slowest attack animations. So slow that I had to turn them off.

- The extreme levels of offense makes defensive tactics worse than before. Not a terrible thing though.

- Weird pokemon. The weird pokemon with spikes continue.

- Too many legendaries. Way too man legendaries.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Really great analysis, except for the fact that Legendaries started getting really ****in crazy in R/S/E with Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Groundan, Kyogre, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Mew, Dexoys and Jirachi.

Also: The list of all Legendaries

Gen 1
Articuno
Moltres
Zapdos
Mewtwo
Mew

Gen 2
Entei
Raikou
Suicune
Ho-Oh
Lugia
Celebi

Gen 3
Regirock
Registeel
Regice
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groundon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys

Gen 4
Palkia
Dialga
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Cresselia
Shaymin
Darkrai
Manaphy
Phione
Giratina
Arceus
Rotom
Heatran
Lucario (?)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm really hoping for a Gold and Silver remake for the last games of 4th generation...

In full Gen 4 graphics and all, it should be good.

Can't decide if I want to start with the eruption pokemon thing or Feraligatr though...

I got Platinum the day it was released. Only just at the elite 4 because I'm doing a lot of trading and breeding with the pokemon I have.

Can't find a Luck Insence...

Want an electrivire to start off as an Elekid. Also, want a Pikachu that knows Volt Tackle

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, Lucario isn't a Legendary...

You can breed as many as you want if you happen to get a female.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
For those of you who say 4th gen is perfect, just look at the creativity of the new pokemon.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I think they're pretty creative.
The designs also began when more people started helping out with the design process'.

I can't really think of the name, but I think Satoshi or one of the first people to join Game Freak almost single handedly created the first 150 pokemon. And even almost all the 2nd generation poke's to.

Really, it doesn't matter to me. I dislike a lot of pokemon from each generation. A lot of them come from 4th/2nd generation. Some from 3rd/1st.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I don't like 4th gen legends because few of them really filled a quota. RSE legends were much cooler, imo. And they made sense too, especially with all the cool backstory behind them, even for the regis. The movies really explain the rest. I don't like the new movies because I hate the new voice actors. And Maddie Blaustein died :(.

Top Bottom