• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I understand that, but it's /ic/'s answer to everything.

Sometimes one can't credit an artist for deviating from the form because THEY think the artist doesn't know it if at all, disregarding the possibility of uniformity within the piece.

:|

/ic/ is such a **** hole, imo

Geist

Smash Master
Best artist for life drawing/anatomy is Glenn Vilppu imo

Nice tut, Geist.

:)
Don't forget to thank alley cat too lol :p

EIDT EVEN FURTHER -

I can tell you my problem - while the neck area is an issue, it's more trying to envision it in 3D for me. And more specifically the back side. As I tend to draw out the muscles (I do freaks - look at my Akuma) and I tend to forget there's gray area where muscles simply connect and not build. Then there's also the lower abdomen/special area. Envisioning that in 3D is tough for me too.

I can tell you, though, I find the human figure, and even further, the face, so damn fascinating. To draw, study, experiment with. HNNNNNG
As long as you can designate key parts to where they go, you can fit it together like a puzzle. When you're in your rough stage of drawing, it always helps to draw though the form of your drawings. It'll help organize pieces together better, and it's really helpful in the limbs, shoulders/ neck, etc.
Once you study anatomy it really helps project things in a third dimension.

To emphasize something aly wrote in the tutorial, it's nice if you start with bigger pieces like the sternocleido mastoid and immediately attach it from the back of your ear to the base of the clavicle right away, that way you get at least some direction, no matter what the angle of your drawing is.
Also someone said to draw one character over and over again and then move onto another one, and I'd like to kinda take that a step further and say get a process going that you can reliably get results from. You don't have to necessarily start with anything in particular, but being organized while drawing helps everything fit together nicely.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thanks for the advice, although it's nothing new for me :laugh:

I could probably benefit my learning the muscles names, though lol

I never did that.

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah at that point it's all up to drill it in your head through repetition. The hardest part is applying knowledge. That takes foreverrrrr.

And thanks global :D
I forgot we had a tutorial thread lol

edit: in all honesty, it's more important to know what the muscles do rather than knowing their names lmao. The names just stuck.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Nice tutorial. I think imma go back and look at all my old drawings and see how many of them want to die from a disproportional neck hahaha. I got a kick out of all the funny lil comments here and there.

Funny thing though, I studied gross anatomy and I still can't envision everything in 3D. Everything just becomes all boxy and rigid :p I think I tried drawing traps on my characters but it probably wasn't meaty enough. Same thing with drawing the back of people and the meaty chin haha.

Geist

Smash Master
I totally wanted to be a paleontologist when I was younger. Most of my oldest drawings consist solely of dinosaurs fighting other dinosaurs.

Nice tutorial. I think imma go back and look at all my old drawings and see how many of them want to die from a disproportional neck hahaha. I got a kick out of all the funny lil comments here and there.

Funny thing though, I studied gross anatomy and I still can't envision everything in 3D. Everything just becomes all boxy and rigid :p I think I tried drawing traps on my characters but it probably wasn't meaty enough. Same thing with drawing the back of people and the meaty chin haha.
Glad you liked it lol
It takes a while to get what's in your head to translate on paper though. Lots of drawing. Organic drawing is tough for a lot of people in that regard. I have a friend who's drawings are very rigid, and he has trouble creating organic shapes, but he's proven that with a lot of practice even someone with absolutely no drawing experience can learn at the same pace with people with 10+ years. It's just repetition.

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
Aw why do you have a custom title now you jerk?
And why can't I message your profile thingamajagger?

Thanks Darkshadow :3 I think that if something's more interesting to read you retain information better. Plus funny stuff is good stuff. I wanna see one of your drawings :>

oh andandand dinosaurs are totally gangster.

Geist

Smash Master
^^
Apparently I can change my title since I'm pranked (maybe.) Or my premium may have run out after it stopped working for the entire site, I'm not sure. I just noticed Purple change his name and he doesn't actually have premium.

EDIT actually apparently I have premium. Maybe I got it and didn't notice after winning the art contest here.

EDIT EDIT also my theme has nothing to do with my little pony. I had this idea waaay before those godforsaken horses. Just letting that out there. Unicorns.

neous

Smash Journeyman
hey doods. save for the hurricane cutting my power, im a ok usa.

ive been making alot of gifs lately, and id like to share some here before school starts on the 1st.

batman: http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/9620552291/1/tumblr_lqs853mBTW1qk3fzn
prince gumball x gumball: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/242/3/e/prince_gumball_gif_by_backpackpanda-d48bbem.gif
uncle iroh, gumball style: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/242/5/2/uncle_iroh_gif_by_backpackpanda-d48bng3.gif

shoulder/ neck anatomy on bats is not realistic, and in the others, no neck is present, so forgive me.
i posted these elsewhere along with a cat spitting flames and a character spinning in teh sky, so if you've seen them already, i sorry

EDIT: very special gif [scroll down a bit]
http://minus4x.tumblr.com/post/9625824909/update-3-well-this-basically-gives-away-what-my

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Other than a few houses experiencing tree intrusions, I have been lucky to be as unaffected as I a am.

:)

Also -
edit: in all honesty, it's more important to know what the muscles do rather than knowing their names lmao. The names just stuck.
Thank god I have most of it pat. I still need work, but I'm getting there.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's the poor man's photoshop.

It's a free download and just about Photoshop to the tee.

:I

Although it's been years since I've used it due to getting photoshop 7.0 and only recently getting CS5. So i can't really tell you.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I know some shortcuts are universal, as there are several programs I use with some of the same keyboard shortcuts.

plus, I believe you can set your own.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
there's also paint shop pro if they still sell it.

it's only around $100.

Geist

Smash Master
Gimp isn't all that stable and has a bunch of problems. One of them is the lack of a functional text tool. Seriously, if you try using it it just crashes. :/

The hotkeys aren't the same either. One thing GIMP does have though, is a quick color to alpha tool. I wish photoshop had that :[

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I use gimp but not to it's full potential. I've messed around with it but sometimes it lags my computer pretty bad :/ That and I have no idea what 90% of the stuff on there does. The help guides don't do much either.

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
Pressing random buttons always works for me :3
pressy pressy pressy
I don't like gimp though, brushes are really ugly.

neous

Smash Journeyman
zio is calling me poor

and when in doubt, mash buttonz

i dont use gimp for painting, just for making quick gifs. for digital illustration.... I USE MSPAINT.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
there are illegal workarounds i'm sure

but nothing i'm familiar with

anyway

for students and stuff, pirating is usually not a big deal since they are not using the pirated copies for business, but for learning. this is why autodesk now allows student downloads with pretty much full functionality. if only adobe... ;_;

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I haz no moniez and I have teh latest Adobe softwarez.

Problem, Adobe? :troll:

I think my tablet died recently :(

I don't have anything to show (that I have scanned) but I did this on my tablet for the SSBM paint rage thread:

Basically a quick sketch and focused a little bit on the Fox panel lol.

Geist

Smash Master
Adobe actually doesn't have any problems with people pirating their stuff lol

I wouldn't mind seeing your stuff glowworm.

I also hate dsmash.

Top Bottom