• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible London European tournament Winter 2010

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
Despite 2010 winter being far away, atleast we would have time to prepare and so would other people :).

Edit - Actually what about 2010 summer lol?
If the dutch winter tourney 2009 is a succes, there will be a bigger one in the summer 2010. So keep ur agendas free for this period :p

Tamoo

Smash Master
Come on fuzzy, lets get this rolling!

ps. Id be happy to help you out if ya need it, I have two TVs including a pretty big 28" non lag one but I'd have no idea how to lug it down to London should the need arises.

Yayuhz

Smash Apprentice
Either month is great for me as both of the dates are in my school holidays and I'll be there with Brado, Calzum and Rake (TAKE US LONDON PLZ) hopefully. Make this happen Fuzzy.

Is anyone really going Dolls War? I would like to go but I'd much rather be interested in coming to this due to it being cheaper to travel down to London than fly to Austria.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I feel slightly f***ed by you Brits because of this now.

<_<

Edit:
Sorry that I'm saying that so harshly, but I really would've liked to make an international tournament here in Vienna. =/
Chances are, if this takes place in April or months close to it, that my tournament will be degraded to a slightly bigger regional rather than an international event. I mean... of course I have no right to tell you not to do it, but I'd be very disappointed if you indeed would put it into early 2010. Why not summer?

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
dont give up, you just need to cross refrence dates of when people are free.i was actually talking to siri the other day about doing somthing like this so im glad someone has decided to put the effort in :)

are you traveling the whole summer?

i will obviously bring a setup as always

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Fuzzyness: what if I did this winter 2010?
In the summer I'm most likely gonna be in the US

auroreon

Smash Ace
I am planning to go to Dolls War in April and something else in the Summer, so it would be far more convenient to wait till Winter 2010. I think that would probably more convenient for most people.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Make it end of December, end of February and we can surely come. If it's in April, it's harder. >_>

And summer will have lots of other tournies.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Early 2010, like 1st of January.

Samochan

Smash Master
I feel slightly f***ed by you Brits because of this now.

<_<

Edit:
Sorry that I'm saying that so harshly, but I really would've liked to make an international tournament here in Vienna. =/
Chances are, if this takes place in April or months close to it, that my tournament will be degraded to a slightly bigger regional rather than an international event. I mean... of course I have no right to tell you not to do it, but I'd be very disappointed if you indeed would put it into early 2010. Why not summer?
I do believe april event could work out... Dolls war seems to be catering more toward brawl players, as I only see few melee player on the attendance list that I even know of, so that would leave the melee players free to attend another event. I kinda doubt any more melee players would attend due to the location if they haven't expressed interest already, especially not from countries that are not close enough regionally such as sweden, norway etc. :/ Not forgetting that if your planned limit is around 120 people, your attendance list basically covers it. So even if more would wish to show up, they prolly can't if everyone else is gonna attend from that list. So it would be highly unprobable to get any more players to come to that tourney really.

If dolls war is more brawl oriented, the uk tourney week after would work well on more melee oriented setting, with top melee players from around europe and brawlers from uk, netherlands and possibly france attending as well. Not only that, but we've witnessed that 2 tourneys even a week apart can work very well in drawing different (and same) audience (smack & esa3). There is a small possibility that Alex strife and Inui could also come to this then too if it's held close, it might be even a bit cheaper to fly from London to usa than from austria.

Though any date is fine by me unless it's march or fall/winter 2010. I can't wait that long. >_>;

Tamoo

Smash Master
That would be pretty cool

Melee oriented tournament would make me happy :)

Maybe save a big brawl and melee tournament for winter 2010 ahd have a melee on around the date of dolls war

samo to the rescue

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It doesn't have to be Melee only, it can have Brawl as side event (like mine has Melee as side event).

Subtracting from each other's attendance is not going to do both tournaments ANY good.
Consider that if you don't make it in April but later, you'll be able to get the continental Europeans into the boat as well, specifically speaking those that are aiming to travel to Austria for Dolls War.

In fact, if you would set your date sometime else, I'd definitely help you out in gathering the Italians, Austrians and Germans for your event, and I would try to attend it and offer my help as TO, as well.
If you set it in April, I definitely won't be able to come, and you'll miss the chunk of people who already travelled to Dolls War instead, which mainly would be said 3 countries.

So, speaking "economically", putting your tournament on a different date would be the best solution.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'd prefer Melee+Brawl, although if it happens to be only Melee I don't really mind. ^^

*doesn't want to get ***** in Melee and thinks he has at least a chance in Brawl*

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I live in the SOUTHERN part of the Netherlands and I have these holidays:

mon 21 december till fri januari
mon 22 februari till friday 26 february
fri 02 april till mon 05 april
tue 29 april till fri 07 mei
tue 13 mei till vrijdag 14 mei
mon 19 juli til 03 september

At least this is what my school's website says

j3ly

Smash Champion
fuzzy you should ask around and find out who can Definatly house

i can Definatly house, say 5 people. If the situation/community calls for more, i can take the fall though. Its all cause smashers tend to be nice.. and i make them say hi to my mum so she doesnt mind more lol. Especially if its in April, ill have my garage by then -> even more housing, its just limited to the floor. However i spoke to my dad about it and if i were to house 10 or more or so (literally i could take everything out, and however many fit on the floor, fit on the floor) there would need to be a small charge because weed need to get a porta-loo LMAO, mum doesn't want the kids in and out takin pisses and missing and splashing the new floors lloll.

plus man im sure, if we got more tables that entire useless middle area could be turned into a few stations. The only problem would be power - i'd need to speak to dad to 100% confirm it, but im sure he could lend us his hose-pipe extension cable, then we would just need like 4-5 4ways.

Fuzzy, you need to find out the holidays for all the smash playing countries fast. The current venue is big enough, then a hypothetical date needs to be made. Once the date is set in accordance to holidays, setup a thread where YOU (because i heard u have mad cheap travel finding skills :p) post the links to cheap travel. then an attendance list... you cannot just give up on this because 10 people say that their busy. Then a list of who has actually BOOKED and is 100% comming - coupled with who is housing them - needs to be done, then decide whether or not its worth making international/a few foreign smashers comming over. We were talkin about this like 2 days ago man - its up to someone to take charge and make london an international tournament scene. If your not up to it, i will! its been like my dream for a year. If ur gonna steal my dream, do it right, my freinds would all help and im sure everybody who is known in our community would help

j3ly

Smash Champion
any chance of a venue that we keep for 2/3 days? I can house 10, and im suuure there are others that could house too! we just need to dig deep and work as a community :'( , possibly this calls for an announcement at PH2? I remember you saying housing was the only problem with an inter.tourney, how many people would you predict would come over from europe

Tamoo

Smash Master
housing really could turn out to be a ***** unless some people don't mind being housed quite far from london. If this was to be a brawl and melee tournament, based off the TSL4 tournament attendance, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect at least 100 from abroad imo, and knowing that london is quite a popular place that ppl would like to go to, maybe even more??? We were having enough trouble trying to get the community to man up to host a national nevermind a european. Atm, the only ppl that live remotely close to london that have expressed their ability to house are me, u, fuzzy and TC, which in total gives us about 30 lol. If it comes to it, im sure many more people can house, especially for european talent but until that happens, housing is the single biggest issue for this tournament. There may be potential to expand housing to places like southampton who have cheap easy access to london now, but its london that has to man up at the end of the day. There are like 50 smashers, I genuinely don't know where the housing problem comes from, just reluctance i guess.

Just to give you an idea about venue needs, TSL4 had about two halls, both at least three times bigger than our current venue. Thats not to say we're gonna need something of that scale, but our venue just doesn't hack it atm. Im sure charles has some good ideas for venues though.

j3ly

Smash Champion
we need to make an announcement at PH2 then, if your post is accurate. Cos if it is, and that is the issue were faced - that is ****ing PATHETIC. As you said, there are 50 of us - your telling me that none of us can house bar 3!!? even if its only 1 person, 2 people! comeon! thats ridiculous... were hindering our own growth, and ensuring the slow die down of the smash community.

Samochan

Smash Master
Just tell the smashers that they could gather a small fee from each smasher they house, say 2£ or something. The more they house, the more they profit, but it won't be much burden to a smashers wallet. Should encourage even the more lazy person to house someone. If they enforce house rules and command the situation, there won't be much if at all trash to clean up afterwards. Smashers in general do respect rules if you give them to them. If you don't, then it might get awkward with some types of smashers, but we are generaly clean (and males, even youngest, are old enough to not miss their piss, unless drunk rofl). House rules can and should include no alcohol or drug usage unless the houser is okay with this kind of thing. <_>

The benefits of a houser is getting to know smashers and pre-smash prep just before the tourney, especially if you house top players you can get some very quality smashing time with them unlike on the tournament where they are busy playing with other pro's. Cons are ofc the cleaning factor and the fact that one might need to pick up people, guide them, command them in the house and all that. But it'll be a lot easier if the rules and all are summarised beforehand and maps and everything are given.

Housing is an issue that needs to be solved in any case, not everyone can afford a hotel or even a hostell when they go to tourneys (me included). But if they want an international tourney, they need to step it up and help. <_<

It doesn't have to be Melee only, it can have Brawl as side event (like mine has Melee as side event).

Subtracting from each other's attendance is not going to do both tournaments ANY good.
Consider that if you don't make it in April but later, you'll be able to get the continental Europeans into the boat as well, specifically speaking those that are aiming to travel to Austria for Dolls War.

In fact, if you would set your date sometime else, I'd definitely help you out in gathering the Italians, Austrians and Germans for your event, and I would try to attend it and offer my help as TO, as well.
If you set it in April, I definitely won't be able to come, and you'll miss the chunk of people who already travelled to Dolls War instead, which mainly would be said 3 countries.

So, speaking "economically", putting your tournament on a different date would be the best solution.
Brawl singles as a side event would be very good, however as long as it'll be treated as a regular tournament so brawlers get their fix as well. :p Brawl singles pools/bracket on friday, continue those on saturday and melee singles pools, melee teams pools, start of the brackets then on sunday brackets/rest of the brackets. :3

Anyways, it's not subtracting players from either, cause I could prolly name 100 players from my mind including from even those countries that are on your list who'd only go to a big melee event with top players coming or a melee tourney that holds their interest. I prolly have half fo those on my msn alone lol. If no top player is going, it won't gather any melee players really. As it's a brawl event mostly, melee players are sorely missing from that list, but then those people would be more than happy to travel to easy access UK.

If anything, the attendance from the overall interested list will get smaller, regardless whether this UK tourney happens. But it won't substract, as it's doubtful any of these brawlers cept the tops have any interest in traveling to melee tournament, especially when it's not right on your neighbourhood country. So it would be like "brawlers go here, melee players go there". In fact, 100 man and over tourneys are more than likely to happen on both sides, I'd expect this to even top 150 with uk's 50 smasher base.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Hmm Charles definatly do not do it in April, cuz Onishiba said ages ago he was hosting at that time, and Myself, Ixis and Auro are most definatly going there. If u host in April it will get alot of people obviously, but tbh u should just wait until Summer 2010 or after that time, srsly if u did this in April Onishiba wont be very pleased at all, well if i were in hsi shoes i certainly wouldnt be.

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
I would be very happy to come to a large tournament like this. my first issue would probably be traveling, but I would plan it, and probably bring some people with me, (getting lost in London is not cool, especialy when its dark, and full of hoody ninjas) in terms of housing, is there not a hotel in london? if housing does not turn out well?

I would be very happy to come to a large tournament like this. my first issue would probably be traveling, but I would plan it, and probably bring some people with me, (getting lost in London is not cool, especialy when its dark, and full of hoody ninjas) in terms of housing, is there not a hotel in london? if housing does not turn out well?
Yeah there is one in London right near where I am, not sure about any other places in London, but of course there are more :bee:

Samochan

Smash Master
Hmm Charles definatly do not do it in April, cuz Onishiba said ages ago he was hosting at that time, and Myself, Ixis and Auro are most definatly going there. If u host in April it will get alot of people obviously, but tbh u should just wait until Summer 2010 or after that time, srsly if u did this in April Onishiba wont be very pleased at all, well if i were in hsi shoes i certainly wouldnt be.
Summer 2010 is gonna be very busy with other tourneys most likely. And people using summer vacation for actual vacation and not tourneys, not forgetting summer jobs. :/ And after summer is way too late, we want UK tourney now, rawr. >_>

Imo, late february/early march or late april/early may would be the best. Early May sounds like really good actually, even tho it's so long till may...

Jolteon

50 is a bad number for our smashbase, we have more than that in London alone.

Yayuhz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah what TC said. Theres like 70 people in London alone lol. Then there's East Midlands which has about 20-30 peoples then North West with about 20-30 people as well I think (although not very active).

Jolteon

Yup, the question is how many would attend, but, I'm sure many of the would-be flakers would turn up if it was the first UK international tournament since... forever.

also we have a few people near london that span over brighton+southampton etc, roughly 10ish.

Top Bottom