• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible London European tournament Winter 2010

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Late Febuary would be the best time for a UK tourney, anytime after that it will be really close to Dolls Wars and i think it will reduce the attendence there, i mean i would like a big UK tourney, but im just thinking for Onishiba and whats best for his tourney.

Samochan

Smash Master
I heard Helios is gonna held a big international tourney in sweden summer 2010, so this should definitely be held before that if this is gonna happen. But imo, 2 big melee internationals arranged sparsely away from each other would be a beast experience. <3

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Yeah I think April is definitely a no-go too, Andy, I'd say Winter 2010 is a good choice, though it means people have to be patient.

@Samo: That sounds pretty good, several nice Eu tournaments lined up for 2010 then.

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
I heard Helios is gonna held a big international tourney in sweden summer 2010, so this should definitely be held before that if this is gonna happen. But imo, 2 big melee internationals arranged sparsely away from each other would be a beast experience. <3
If there really are five or six countries interested in hosting an international tournament in the summer of 2010, it would be wise to discuss them together, so we can prevent them from hurting each other. I don't know who all the hosts are, but if any of them already have a concrete plan me and probably several others would like to hear about them. And just so you know, the Dutch tournament has no date and no venue yet and definitely isn't confirmed.

Sorry for off-topic. I hope this tournament will happen.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
haha ryanair has some £2 flights and no tax flights atm, if someone was to confirm a tourney between january/february in most places in europe I could go for under £20 XD

is there any random tournaments happening around europe between jan-feb?

the ryanair offer is only for 2 more days >:

Kone

Smash Master
I am not sure what the point of this thread is charles? seems to me there really isnt much concrete evidence you could host anything? The only thing concrete is that if anyone in the uk were able to turn around and say that they had a venue for 2-3 days with housing that there would be a large euro turnout. However, we've know that for years =s

I am still personally, secretly, hoping to put something together for summer 2010 myself :). Largely inactive at the moment but come June next year I will be back full swing with helping smash actively. Plus, will be living in birmingham which will help in terms of actually being able to host something with good transport links etc and housing wont be an issue. Just need a venue.

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
Just make it febuary, people will have made money, make it in the weekend, so people would travel on friday, in the holidays perhaps. and also, make sure to lay out hotel locations, if people are dead serious about attending this tourny, I am sure they are willing to pay. Going to a big event means you must be willing to budget the money properly and not just be a cheep ***.

Tamoo

Smash Master
It just isn't as simple as that, tournament hosting, especially on an international scale takes tonnes of planning, so many variables to consider.
By making it in winter, fuzzy has time to do a test by maybe doing a national tournament in london to see if an international one if viable, which imo would be quite an invaluable experience.

Kone: Are you thinking of doing one in birmingham or london? Cos birmingham would be cool, and how would you solve the housing problem? Are you moving into a massive house or something lol?

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
It just isn't as simple as that, tournament hosting, especially on an international scale takes tonnes of planning, so many variables to consider.
By making it in winter, fuzzy has time to do a test by maybe doing a national tournament in london to see if an international one if viable, which imo would be quite an invaluable experience.
A national tournament might be within reason if fuzzyness has a lack of experiance, venues, and planning. One would take note as to who is most likely to bail, but to get TVs, Wii/Gamecubes, and probably 1 or 2 Co-Hosts.

Just to see if people outside of london are willing to come, advertising it well is also a good idea, and i dont just mean on the internet, print a poster or something., heck, I am studying poster design, I can help out, yes, it would not be simple, but to mark each point in a simple and understandable manor is the first step. planning is key.

Kone

Smash Master
Tamoo - Yes, it would be in Birmingham. In regards to housing then a international tournament needs two things;

1. A venue that its 24hr for 2-3 days. There is no way you can expect to host a large interntional tournament without ability to house at the venue these days. In the past you could but numbers are to high. Especially with brawl and the fact that a UK tournament would encourage a huge european response. In terms of this I needs to find such a venue. However, last summer I found 2 venues that were doable in the north east ie that i could rent for such a period. I opted against hosting the tournament as the venues just didnt have good transport links. People could not have got to my tournament easily. In birmingham I have the links and am confident I could find a venue. Venue finding just takes balls and patience, there is no reason within a large conurbation I couldnt get one.

2. A tournament needs housing pre and post tournament outside of the venue. Foreigners generally need more flexibility in their flight times and somewhere to stay before/after tourney. I will be living in my own large house by then. Housing foreigners aint a issue.

Top Bottom