• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Oh my god...

I laughed my *** off at that post back then, and I'm doing it again now lol. Goooood memories OC3.

If anything, the tournaments that bomb the hardest with the community always seem to get the best humor out of it later on, one way or another.

If anyone's ever feeling bored, go dig up the CotT4 (?) thread, and the thread comments that ensued once everyone started getting kicked out of the venue:

"Oh damn, ****'s really going down now. The LAPD has just arrived, which is crazy because they're like in Philly or something. They're starting to beat everybody with batons you guys should get out while you can."

"Okay, the venue is getting shut down by the police right now. They were in the middle of semi-finals, but Random Ike Guy just punched Chibo in the face and ran off with all the winnings. Chu Dat also just bit somebody in the leg, it's getting crazy in there."
Such funny quotes

man i love that thread

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
ok so its been confirmed that if Tommy G ever hosted a tourny no one should go to it since he believes entry fee doesnt go to pot. WTF u mean no connection between entry fee and pot payout. Theirs always been a connection that entry fee goes into the pot. this is just not in smash but in almost any competitive event. for you to think anything else is just absolutely ********. Only time entry fee doesnt go into Pot is when said tourny event is for charity in which its established that the winner gets bragging rights or a trophy or a gift card or some ****.
Did you say words?

"Theirs always been a connection that entry fee goes into the pot. this is just not in smash but in almost any competitive event. for you to think anything else is just absolutely ********. "

"Only time entry fee doesnt go into Pot is when said tourny event is for charity..."

You heard it here first. Charities are absolutely ********.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
hey ****** u know what *** it ur obviously mentally challenged or something. i clearly said charity events are the only exception. ur ******* seems to think that by default theirs no connection between entry fee and tourny pot. i only gave charity events as the only exception of entry fees not going into the pot. and if you could read i did say almost every competitive event. a charity event can still be a competitive one but in which no money goes to the winner. but im done with you, its not worth my time to continue talking with you since u clearly cant read.

also i never said charity events were ********, i said ur views are ********. learn to read.

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
lol tommy explain to me why TOs split the fees into venue fees and entry fees

for kicks?

entry fee = pot money end of story.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
most venues charge a fee to rent the building. why would the TO pay for that all by himself? that's ********.
He doesn't, he charges a venue fee to cover the cost.

Why? Because if he is successful, he should be able to not only pay off the venue but also make a profit. I've seen this done a number of times and it happens pretty frequently. There are over $50,000 a year in venue fees around the country, afterall.

That is also why I don't agree with people who think TO's shouldn't make a profit. I think they should because it is the best incentive to run an event. That or getting to enter and play for free.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
You're supposed to be responsible for your own financial decisions. Think about this before feeling sorry for Plank. Everyone who entered the tournament had reasonable expectations to be paid if they placed well enough. Plank had UNreasonable expectations about a bunch of gamers from all over, many of which he had never met and knew nothing about and signed a contract without the money to back it up if things went wrong. The best players in our community get screwed and now we're the bad guys for saying that Plank should actually pay the money that he owes? AND we should sit around coming up with payment plans for him?

Dude should man up. I think TO's who aren't going to pay winners are a bigger threat to the community than a bunch of people trolling and name calling. I don't care if he's the best guy in the world. If you owe money you owe money. Plank should figure out how he's going to pay EVERYONE THAT HE OWES and take care of his ****. Probably could've PM'd or called the winners, explained the situation and paid everyone over a span of time without all the drama. I bet more than a few people would've dropped the debt anyway.

Lucky this isn't the hood.

L__

Smash Master
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 26 (23 members and 3 guests)

L__, Flayl, Plairnkk, King~, AllyKnight, Degree, JWT2k6, Melomaniacal, Acherontic, garrR, The King, Shenanigans, DanteFox, izic, loci, Sinji, bleyva, bballin, stopNstart, Takagi, Dr Drew the Dragon, everlasting yayuhzz, tect, KrypticMind

hi plank

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Man...cot4 too good. The things that happened to me that weekend was like a guy comedy movie. At least I did something important though...

-GDX, co-creator of "money back"

The King

Smash Ace
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 26 (23 members and 3 guests)

L__, Flayl, Plairnkk, King~, AllyKnight, Degree, JWT2k6, Melomaniacal, Acherontic, garrR, The King, Shenanigans, DanteFox, izic, loci, Sinji, bleyva, bballin, stopNstart, Takagi, Dr Drew the Dragon, everlasting yayuhzz, tect, KrypticMind

hi plank
What blasphemy is this!?

Also, the whole "omg plairnkk's still in the thread looking" kind of lost it's meaning after he actually decided to use his better sense and not disappear from the forums / stop logging on like he said he would in his first post about the prize money.

Gnes

Smash Master
The irony of this post is delicious. because the exact same thing could be said about plank in having "honor and trust" that the community wouldn't overcrowd rooms after he warned dozens of times.

but people expect plank to pay up because the community trusted him.
sweet sweet, delicious irony.
The only issue is that if plank had told people about the contract beforehand, this all could have been avoided. Like I doubt it stated in the contract that he had been sworn to secrecy on the matter.

Sheer ignorance. How could the community be faulted for something we knew nothing about. Warning is fine. But were we suppose to magically figure out that if we didnt fill a room quota that no prize money would be awarded to the winners?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
hey ****** u know what *** it ur obviously mentally challenged or something. i clearly said charity events are the only exception. ur ******* seems to think that by default theirs no connection between entry fee and tourny pot. i only gave charity events as the only exception of entry fees not going into the pot. and if you could read i did say almost every competitive event. a charity event can still be a competitive one but in which no money goes to the winner. but im done with you, its not worth my time to continue talking with you since u clearly cant read.

also i never said charity events were ********, i said ur views are ********. learn to read.
I just took what you said and interpreted the way you wrote it.

Aside from that, there's nothing worth replying to in the post above. It's all infantile flaming. If you can prove you're not a child and actually bring up a valid point, then I'll consider formulating a rebuttal.

lol tommy explain to me why TOs split the fees into venue fees and entry fees

for kicks?

entry fee = pot money end of story.
Entry fee = fee to enter into the tournament. Entry is an adjective describing what the noun, fee, is used for.

It's usually used to pay the TO for running the tournament whereas venue fees are to pay the venue. An entry fee does not obligate the TO to pay anyone.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Gnes is right.

But w/e i got over this and i don't care anymore. Finals words on this

**** Plank

Smoke trees

L__

Smash Master
I just wanted to say hi =[

I appreciate that Plank is doing by still posting and not disappearing from the community and I hope things get resolved =/ this is the biggest thing I've ever heard affect the scene negatively and

idk

=[

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
LOL @ This guy. Have a TO host a tournament and Advertise that the entry fee is going to himself and see how big the turnout is.
Entry fee is separate from prize money. Having one does not guarantee having the other.

Prize money was guaranteed in percentages of profit. Profit= $0, so prize money = $0

Zone

Smash Champion
Entry fee = fee to enter into the tournament. Entry is an adjective describing what the noun, fee, is used for.

It's usually used to pay the TO for running the tournament whereas venue fees are to pay the venue. An entry fee does not obligate the TO to pay anyone.
Ok maybe by dictionary definition, but if you ask any smasher where that entry fee goes to, almost all of them will say the "pot".

Don't use dictionary definition when it's obvious smashers have a different definition for it. Its like when a black man calls another black man the n word. You bust out a dictionary to try and prove he was being rude but I fact these 2 black men are friends and use that word in context as "friend" not your standard dictionary definition. I'm not taking sides on this but don't go try and find loop holes to make you right

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Guys don't worry, Plank will pay you back eventually. I once let Plank borrow $5 from me so he can buy a footlong from subway. And the next day he came up to me and said..., wait a second .OH GOD OH GOOD OHHH GOOOOD. **** YOU PLANK, WHERE'S MY MONEY!?!!?!?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
ayo word on the street is that Tommy_G is hosting a tournament soon. Pot split as follow. TO: 0% Tournament Players: 60% 30% 10%. GET HYPE
Fixed for you.

And I lose money on this because some smashers wanted to save money by cramming into hotel rooms. Profit= $0

60% of $0= $0
30% of $0= $0
10% of $0= $0

Take some responsibility before waving your finger around and the next easy target.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
That'll be sick if Planks Boss at work said "Dude... i'm not paying you for 3 months, we're donating your paycheck to the government :)"

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Ok maybe by dictionary definition, but if you ask any smasher where that entry fee goes to, almost all of them will say the "pot".

Don't use dictionary definition when it's obvious smashers have a different definition for it. Its like when a black man calls another black man the n word. You bust out a dictionary to try and prove he was being rude but I fact these 2 black men are friends and use that word in context as "friend" not your standard dictionary definition. I'm not taking sides on this but don't go try and find loop holes to make you right
You can't take legal action against someone for using the n word where there is no apparent or implied threat.

How is calling someone the n word even somewhat related to this? So many terrible analogies in this thread.

Zone

Smash Champion
If that's the case then venue fee should have been increased.

Nevermind you're not educated enough to argue with. I used a good analogy to explain why using a dictionary definition on something that is usually ment as something else is dumb. It's simple sociology. I never said anything about the analogy relating to court. You missed the point completely.

Zone

Smash Champion
Shoulda woulda coulda doesn't fix what already did.
Right, but it's simple math to be held to figure out if you'll have enough to cover everything. If you're not sure, then it's time to increase it no?

Edit: I'd like to think if plank increased the dee to enter another 15-20 bucks it wouldn't have deterred many players at all from attending. What is 20 more bucks to the hundreds we were all already ready to spend on hotels/food/ext

H1N1

Smash Journeyman
This whole situation is nothing but funny. Smashers don't need a nice venue like pound v, just open space and food. I think plank should give winners their prize money and take the hit. Avoid further problems and i'm sure the smash community will compensate some of the loss.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The only issue is that if plank had told people about the contract beforehand, this all could have been avoided. Like I doubt it stated in the contract that he had been sworn to secrecy on the matter.

Sheer ignorance. How could the community be faulted for something we knew nothing about. Warning is fine. But were we suppose to magically figure out that if we didnt fill a room quota that no prize money would be awarded to the winners?
thats really besides the point. The results of our actions may not have been forseen, but that doesn't change the fact that people are holding plank to ridiculous moral standards and saying "should have done the right thing and payed winners and take the hit and gone 10k in debt for the communities sake"

When "the community" has its own immorality to blame for this anyway by disobeying the wishes of the TO and the law. Plank took money from the winners, the community took money from the hotel. and so a death spiral ensued.

Im not saying "two wrongs make a right" but the irony and hypocrisy is delicious.

Zone

Smash Champion
I would say lets have all the entrants put in just another 10 bucks as donation to the winners, but sadly humans are greedy by nature and I bet half the people who entered wont put forth 10 bucks to save a man from going thousands into debt.

On the other hand if I were plank I'd feel so guilty that'd I woulda got a second job and ran a few more tournaments with profit In mind to pay them back for my huge mistake, but that's just me. Guilt is my worse enemy.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I

Alright, now you have to prove what you're saying is true. Show me one Smash event where the entree fee was only used to pay the TO and it was specified as that in the OP. You won't. Because this statement is a complete fallacy

Laijin

Smash Hero
Everyone in this thread who is saying the "Winners should have gotten paid blah blah blah". This is how I picture you:

It already happened. Whats left to do is to look towards the future instead of *****ing about the past

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Alright, now you have to prove what you're saying is true. Show me one Smash event where the entree fee was only used to pay the TO and it was specified as that in the OP. You won't. Because this statement is a complete fallacy
The confusion between entry fee and prize money is the fallacy of the players, not the TO. Nearly every major tournament for anything competitive(Not just Smash) has an entry fee and a set amount for prize money completely independent from the entry fees. When you get companies involved, that's how they usually do it.

Entry fee does not equal prize money. The players assuming it did so on their own and is their fault for not reading the fine print.

Even if it was a split of the profits as people have said. Profit= $0 so Prize money=$0. I don't see your side of the argument at all.

Why ask me to do something if you're going to answer with your own stupid assumptions? Don't you have some new Brawl tech to figure out? How about flame-canceling? It'd really help you.

Edit: done editing.

Zone

Smash Champion
I like how you completely dodged what he asked you to do. We know major tournaments like GSL for Starcraft entry fee, goes to venue where as prize money comes from sponsors. But In melée you ****** we don't have sponsors so we have two seperate fees, one for the pot. One for the venue. If the TO wishes to profit it's as Simple as Increasing venue price or telling the people entering a percentage of the pot will go to TO/venue. Saying this is key because almost every smasher will do the math of the entry fee to figure out the rewards cuz we don't have sponsors.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Everyone in this thread who is saying the "Winners should have gotten paid blah blah blah". This is how I picture you:

It already happened. Whats left to do is to look towards the future instead of *****ing about the past
Look, Lajin, I'm sure you're a cool guy in person but what you're saying right now has absolutely no ground to stand on.

Do you see the title of the thread? Yes it says "Pound Prizes". That's what this thread is about. The current argument on the table is, "Was Plank obligated(Morally) to pay the winners out?"

your post above is one of two things

1. It's a rabbit trail. Whether or not we should be looking towards the futre is a moot point. That isn't what this thread is about and for you to say that we shouldn't be talking about this anymore and should move on is quite ballsy since you have absolutely no authority to say whether or not we should be discussing the money situation. Seriously, who are you to tell people whether are not we should be discussing the pound V Prize money in the 'Pound Prizes' thread? If you want to move on, go ahead and stop posting on this thread
  2. It's Ad Hominem. Instead of addressing the issue you're making fun of the people who are upset and on the opposite side of you. You're attacking them instead of addressing their arguments.

Once again, my point in me telling you this is not to offend you

Edit@ TommyG: You still haven't answered my question. Also, you've personally attacked me instead of proving my argument wrong. :/

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
No tommy you make sense.

at pound, genesis, apex, we had microsoft sponsor us for pot money, i completely forgot that smash always does that!

oh and when microsoft wasnt there, our pot money came when we got lucky that the TO finished paying for the venue wit the venue fee and taking his entry fees. dang we are one lucky *** community.

......................... are you ****ing kidding me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom