• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I like chops because he is so aggressive and has such smooth movement. Plup is really good though so it's not like he lost to a total scrub :p

Chops doesn't seem to be the guy who does everything to win anyways, hence the super aggro style etc

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I have a few things in most MU that I know I should do, and I tell myself to do them. Like floating over lasers and CGs for Falco. Set plan? I don't think I'd call that a set plan. More like a thin framework. When I'm watching a vid of myself, I can only tell what I'm going for in specific instances. I can't see what I'm looking for in terms of a larger picture, if that makes sense.

Yes, but I feel as though I'm just horrid at sticking to preset plans. I go into every match with a few guidelines, and as for the rest, I let the pace of the match dictate that. Perhaps this is a bad idea?

I see what you mean. But that's even hard for me to put into context of my own matches, since I don't evaluate my process for internalizing information after matches, ever. Perhaps this is a good thing, or a bad thing. But when I read your posts, I realize the importance of knowing why you do things, and in what ways you need to do them. So perhaps it's simply a matter of me having to know what I was going for when I re-watch a match, not necessarily being conscious of my decision during the match.

EDIT: Also, DruggedFox, the blog post you linked from Wobbles was pretty insightful. Thanks for that. Here's the link again if anyone is interested, or reads this: http://eskimosister.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html
A lot of people(myself included from time to time) have a thin framework when they play a matchup. I think that, in order to accelerate one's improvement, you need to go into a match looking for certain scenarios and avoiding others always. It's a character vs character thing that applies no matter who plays the other character. When you want to see how things play out you are probably wanting to play the player more. This is fine as long as you do desirable plays within the matchup itself first. For example, if I put Peach close to the edge in shield with Falco then I know she can't really wavedash back and that leaves covering her roll or Nair OOS(the likely options anyway). If I account for these options, or rather force them out when I feel like it, that is where playing the player should come into play in my opinion. It's a limited example so ask for clarification if needed.

I think you should be conscious of your decisions in every match ideally, but the way you end up making these conscious decisions may differ. Whether you plan beforehand or learn through trial and error during a match, you eventually want to wind up with a solid approach to a given matchup after playing it/thinking about it enough.

I was thoroughly disappointed in chops play... so many stupid moves, decisions and a bad gameplan overall was all I saw tbh. I saw one decent combo out of oh so many hit dairs, and that was after plup didnt tech his dair->dair for the 103810398103810381038108 time and DI'd his dash attack horribly =/.

Maybe I'm just hella cynical, but when I heard people talk about Chops in the past I never thought of someone who spammed (almost always, unnecessary) lasers and dairs and hoped that they couldnt PS or tech

edit: I watched this thinking it was pools and that the lambchops tag in the title was a joke lol. It seriously looks like he has played for 3 months, spamming early dairs, smashes at 10%, bad and predictable recovery, spammed rolls when the opponent respawned (he did 1 roll immidiately followed by another one EVERY STOCK HE TOOK except for the first one)
Honestly, I was sad when I found out it was the real lambchops
The man's been out of the game for several months now I believe. This is about what I expected of him, and I hope he gets back into better form soon.

Dr.Peepee you should go falcon at Apex and **** M2K's sheik. You would be my hero.

What are my options as falco against a sheik that corners me against the ledge with tilts?
If I move forward I get tilted, jabbed, grabed, or dash attacked. Moving off the ledge is scary because of her needles/fair/nair. I feel cornered and doomed when a sheik has me against the ledge.
LOL I don't get that request much. XD I'd like to play that matchup against M2K though and see how it goes.

As for being against the edge vs Sheik: it's not a favorable situation. You're going to have to make a hole/run through Sheik to get the middle back. If you can get a laser out and get some kind of control, do it. If you can aerial through Sheik, do it. If Sheik is staying back and letting you get lasers out then just stay calm and take as much position as Sheik will let you so you can work your Bairs or get a WD/DD game going to supplement your lasers and let you trick your way out. If you're at low %, CC her tilts/dash attack and punish.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
yeah chops is rust..you want a good video of chops go watch him vs. armada. old as **** too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vR9yGiano

he plays insanely agressive which he knows hinders him, but he doesn't care. you won't learn how to play a matchup watching him but you can learn alot of cool little tricks that you don't see other falcos do. along with learning every laser angle possible lol.

Linguini

Smash Master
basically pp said everything there is to said, chops plays strictly for fun just like I do...that' why you don't see him playing to win like most falco's.

idk who you are leffen but i have no doubt in my mind chops would destroy you even now, lol don't sleep.

Beat!

Smash Master
leffen is really good and Chops is really good. Let's leave it at that and not start a flame fest about such a silly topic.

Pi

Smash Hero
^what the **** kind of post is that

finally some potential beef and trash talk, and beat comes in and is like 'now kids play nice, wouldn't want anyones feelings getting hurt'

wtf dude, this is a competitive fighting community
you suck, leffen is free, chops is good but plup is better
and linguini better go sheik or he's gonna be free as well

Divinokage

Smash Legend
basically pp said everything there is to said, chops plays strictly for fun just like I do...that' why you don't see him playing to win like most falco's.

idk who you are leffen but i have no doubt in my mind chops would destroy you even now, lol don't sleep.
LOLLL, I like posts like these. =) Chops is still really good definitely don't sleep.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Chops is also a surprisingly good teacher

I made a fairly large leap in my personal game just by playing against him and talking to him back during HERB2 and TO5

EDIT: he also forced queendvs and colin to play against me during to5 XD

Druggedfox

Smash Champion

Watching your ganon I can't believe that >_>

Playing ganon without playing to win generally involves getting the ganon's *** whooped.

Also, leffen would almost certainly beat rusty chops...Maybe things will change if chops gets back into it ;)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Watching your ganon I can't believe that >_>

Playing ganon without playing to win generally involves getting the ganon's *** whooped.

Also, leffen would almost certainly beat rusty chops...Maybe things will change if chops gets back into it ;)
I disagree, you'd be surprised at the fun things Ganon can do to bull**** the opponent. He's a god at doing that.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
serious shoutouts to chops though

that man is an artist at the top of his play, makes falco look like a sexy version of sheik or something

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i did a falling uair to fair today. me and $mike were both "wtf" at it lol. i'm still working with runoff double uairs, and ganonshine uairs too.

bout to leave people wondering why they couldn't tech looooool.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Dr.Peepee how does falcon beat falco? How should falcon DI when he shined at low percents on the ground? Is there anything he can do? Or does falcon just have to take the pillar? What should falcon do once he is hit by a SHL and is being rushed in? Shielding isn't that great, and grabbing OoS only works half the time.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I feel like the Falcon boards would be a better place to ask that question haha ...
Falcon beats Falco when he can get around lasers / big combos and techchase effectively

Low % DI away
Crossup Bair/Utilt > Stomp OoS > normal shield pressure (sometimes)
Then you can try wavedash OoS or roll, which loses to waveshine on shield / aerial -> run if they go the right way
Shieldgrab occasionally after the shine or they do a high nonretreating aerial

Use platforms / fulljump a lot to try to stay out of the same horizontal plane so Falco can't just shoot you up with lasers

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr.Peepee how does falcon beat falco? How should falcon DI when he shined at low percents on the ground? Is there anything he can do? Or does falcon just have to take the pillar? What should falcon do once he is hit by a SHL and is being rushed in? Shielding isn't that great, and grabbing OoS only works half the time.
Falcon beats Falco by having solid mixups in his Nair/raptor boost timings as well as working platforms and jumps well for height tricks that can avoid lasers quite well. Tech chases and putting Falco offstage quickly to minimize the reads necessary for a kill are good too. There's more but that's a good start.

Mix up shine DI honestly. Technically Falco could follow any DI at low percent on shine but you wanna SDI hard one way or another, although it may be helpful to note that Falcon goes farther DI'ing the direction Falco is facing.

If you get shot don't just sit there. SDI lasers to get space, Falcon Kick, I dunno you could probably run or jump out of the way depending on spacing/timing. Just don't be afraid of the laser or let it lock you down more than you have to let it do so. That's how people lose to it, giving it power it doesn't have.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I suppose that can work too @ CC.

And I said Falco could technically follow any SDI but it's not like the Falco PLAYER can't be tricked sometimes.

YO, I JUST WANTED TO SAY

**** YOU M2K! You ain't ****, your mom ain't ****, your dog ain't ****. Get on my ****in' level, I'm gonna break my Falco boot off in your *** at RoM *****.

And yo Mango, step your ****ing game up, you ain't even on my radar for RoM. **** I'm thinking of running through this tourney with pichu since Armada's staying in EU I got no damn competition.

akakakakakakakakakakakakakak

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I feel like the Falcon boards would be a better place to ask that question haha ...
Falcon beats Falco when he can get around lasers / big combos and techchase effectively
I dont feel that way, all the falcon board topics are sooo off topic, pretty sure at one point people were talking about being into hipster chicks haha. I went to the sheik boards to ask how falcon beats sheik. Tope and KirbyKaze replied so ive had better luck going to the opponents characters board asking for help then the falcon board.

Mix up shine DI honestly. Technically Falco could follow any DI at low percent on shine but you wanna SDI hard one way or another, although it may be helpful to note that Falcon goes farther DI'ing the direction Falco is facing.

If you get shot don't just sit there. SDI lasers to get space,
SDI'ing is probably the thing im worst at. I feel like a laser hits in you in less than a second, any advice on how to SDI things better?

YO, I JUST WANTED TO SAY

**** YOU M2K! You ain't ****, your mom ain't ****, your dog ain't ****. Get on my ****in' level, I'm gonna break my Falco boot off in your *** at RoM *****.

And yo Mango, step your ****ing game up, you ain't even on my radar for RoM. **** I'm thinking of running through this tourney with pichu since Armada's staying in EU I got no damn competition.

Lol last edited by mogwai

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
YO, I JUST WANTED TO SAY

:dwam:

Beat!

Smash Master
YO, I JUST WANTED TO SAY

Real just got ****.

And what are you talking about JonnyW that was definitely PP who said that don't tell lies omg

Beat!

Smash Master
Source text, in research (especially in the humanities), a source of information referred to by citation

Primary source, firsthand written evidence of history made at the time of the event by someone who was present

Secondary source, written accounts of history based upon the evidence from primary sources

Tertiary source, compilations based upon primary and secondary sources

Get CRUSHED

Top Bottom