• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Falco wins 55;45. Falco controls the pace of the entire match, controls the neutral game, and otherwise ***** Marth with silly 60+% autocombos that often end with him offstage. R

:phone:

V

Smash Ace
Marth's rarity is the exact reason I play him. I've been playing for two years so I'm not a complete scrub but I just decided melee would be more rewarding to be good at. Just the movement in this game feels good performing. To me Falco was the most fun as a secondary so I'm going to work on him.

Anyway as far as I can tell with Marth vs Falco whoever has more situational knowledge and gets better reads wins. I think its pretty even after watching high level videos of the matchup.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Falco wins 55;45. Falco controls the pace of the entire match, controls the neutral game, and otherwise ***** Marth with silly 60+% autocombos that often end with him offstage. R

Falco wins at least 55:45 imo. It could be a lot worse.

@Zatar: Falco can kill Marth just as easily as Marth can kill him or perhaps worse. Falco's combos on marth are a lot easier to do, as Marth's combo options are far more dependent on how your opponent DI'd and pin-perfect spacing(hitting with the tipper) than Falco's are.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ITT: people cite counter as being a major advantage for marth in the matchup.

what a joke.

also, falco is not easy as balls to edgeguard. Bad falco's are easy to edgeguard. Go watch any set with dr. PP or mango playing falco vs anyone and tell me how many times they get legitimately gimped or edgeguarded by marth (even m2k). I'll give you a hint: almost NEVER.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah even tho falco's distance by sideb and upb alone aren't very much they give a lot of different options to be covered. Add in a very good double jump, shine stall and dair (to keep offstage followers honest) and you have a very tricky character to gimp.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
PP's Marth is sick, confirmed my suspicions.
I think he would've placed about the same if he went Marth, minus beating m2k and possibly doing better against Mango's Falco if he got the opportunity.

Did PP ever get a chance to play Mango / other good players with Marth?

Niko45

Smash Master
I think he would've placed about the same if he went Marth, minus beating m2k and possibly doing better against Mango's Falco if he got the opportunity.

Did PP ever get a chance to play Mango / other good players with Marth?
I watched him win a MM vs Tope (went down to last game but he low % 3 stocked for the win). That was the most notable thing I saw. He swagged out on me and tec0 in marth dittos but I guess that's to be expected.

I didn't see him play anyone super insanely good with marth unfortunately. Kinda wanted to see him play a really good falco or Hax/Jman. Not sure if that went down at some point. He was playing almost all Falco from what I saw.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i'm with za'atar. if you actually read his posts, he's really saying something about where the game is, and what the character ability has in store for the matchup. not about what pp does or any marth is doing, but what the characters can do.

idk what kind of ****ty DI marth some of you guys are playing, but you make it sound like you can really 0-death that character at will. so funny. whereas marth can, within real reason, get one grab, one read, and some offstage **** that will get you killed soooo fast.

so sad.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I can't believe anyone is saying anything about a matchup like falco/marth so definitively >_>

I don't necessarily think marth beats falco or vice versa, but a lot of stuff that's being said isn't entirely accurate.

1) Falco never goes near the ledge. What? Why? If you have an advantage, you should push it. At the same time, you should be smart about when you go near the ledge and when you don't, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't approach. In fact, what was the point of putting all the work into neutral game getting marth cornered if you're not going to take advantage of it?

2) Falco can just shoot lasers. Huh? What happens when marth tries to move forward a bit (either takes a laser, WDs OoS, or something similar)? You just sit there? Well if you do that, marth has successfully gained ground and is probably threatening you. Oh, well get out of his threat zone, right? Well, then you're losing ground-->stage control and at that rate you'll get cornered. What's left, to approach marth when you land a laser on him/his shield? Well, what if he just attacks instantly out of the laser, or decides to retreat with a WD backwards and punishes your approach?

3) Marth kills falco easily for being off stage. Yes and no. To be honest, edgeguarding marth as falco is way easier than edgeguarding falco as marth. Falco has walljumps, shine stalls, shortens, angled firebirds, and can generally tech off stuff. It's not about distance, it's about options. There are times and positions that marth edgeguards falco for ****ing free, I agree; that doesn't happen every time falco is off stage.

...and now I realize I left this post unfinished 2 hours ago and never came back to it -_______-

Totally forgot what was coming next, too lazy to reread the thread to regain my train of thought.

unknown522

Some guy
^ Yeah, I'm not even gonna get in on that debate. Reading some of that **** kinda annoyed me

PP was amazing in those sets. Those smooth combos and tech chases on the platforms.

One thing though, recovery. You never did the firebird sweetspot (maybe once. But I forget). There were a few times at the end where mango tried to cover it, but in the beginning/middle of each set, he was never in the right positions to cover it even if he tried. That and shortening illusions, so that you could go for the edge.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
looooool crush.

he's...working on it. he's made progress. he'll figure it out soon.

yo crush, learn to combo ganon, then come at me next time i'm up in that area.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
there were a lot of things. utilts help, but other things like uair and just knowing how to use a laser in a combo are important too. shine dair will only get you about 40% and a teching situation out of ganon. you need something more. some sort of reset, or some way to take his jump.

ganon is such a silly matchup for falco. it should be easy for you guys, but we end up thinking about that matchup a lot more than you guys ever will LOL

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'm not talking about consistently PSing every laser. That would be kind of a waste anyway. I'm talking about reading the opponent, PSing a laser, and capitalizing.
I do this a lot. I honestly think it has a lot of potential, but it's not a perfect solution to lasers or anything. It opens a whole new guessing game with fake lasers and stuff, and like anything else, it's bad if you're too reliant on it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
pretty much exactly what i thought when i read that post too, kage.

one day when i'm thinking on a closer level to you (maybe like...rom 6?) we should team and really show them what ganon's about.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I can shorten side Bs on command and did so one time in my set vs M2K to prove I could do it whenever I want to. I just never use it because I don't think about it which is dumb of me.

Black Chris is laughing at how long it took me to learn to do it and how I figured it out. It was a long car ride.

I'm so mad about RoM4. ugh

EWC

Smash Ace
What happened? I could tell something was off even watching you vs reno. Your play didn't look anywhere near as refined as it did a few months ago.

noobird

Smash Journeyman
rom4 post?

can you shorten to all lengths on command o.O? or is it kinda random which one you get. if the former, that's crazy. how do you even practice getting the different lengths aren't they all like 1frame apart in pressing b >.>

Linguini

Smash Master
pp don't be mad about getting 2nd man. losing isn't always a bad thing, and sometimes puts things into perspective...nothing to be ashamed of dude. you going to tipped off?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
rom4 post?

can you shorten to all lengths on command o.O? or is it kinda random which one you get. if the former, that's crazy. how do you even practice getting the different lengths aren't they all like 1frame apart in pressing b >.>
There are either 4 or 5 shorten lengths, I don't really remember right now, haven't thought about it in too long. But you can shorten to one of any of those lengths just by pressing b at the right time.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
rom4 post?

I'll make one this week sometime I suppose.

Nah just shorten in general on command. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

pp don't be mad about getting 2nd man. losing isn't always a bad thing, and sometimes puts things into perspective...nothing to be ashamed of dude. you going to tipped off?
If I respond to this in full I'll be even more mad but basically I don't think I can help being mad right now. You're right in that I have perspective now though. We'll see where the training goes.

And I REALLY REALLY want to go to TO7 but it's at a tough time....I'll have to see what my school schedule looks like.

Pi

Smash Hero
Hmmm, I was wondering how you would take your loss

when you're ready to make the RoM post I have some Q's...

1) How were you playing, tech wise. Did you have the control you expected to have with the amount of practice you put in?
2) Did any old habits rear their ugly heads? If so, was it a big tourney thing, or more of a common day to day thing? (as to why they showed up)
3) Did you fail to follow through w/ some specific strategies/counters when it counted? Again, if so, tourney pressure?
4) Is he beatable? Like...do you see it? What's your mental state regarding him as an opponent? Do you see this as a problem?

also, since these will inevitably be called johns, if you don't want to have to sugar coat them feel free to PM me so others don't use your responses against you, or whatever, up to you of course.

also ditto about To7
I requested off, but may not have gotten it...we'll see.

Top Bottom