• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Interestingly enough, mango takes a solid majority (7 of 11) of recorded friendlies off of armada. He did the same thing at Gen 2, and even at pound 5; I wonder what changes between there and tourney? Does Armada have better nerves (character choice might help with this)? Does he not focus 100% in friendlies? Does he keep secrets for tourney in a way that mango doesn't?

Whatever it is, he's clutch as ****.
Friendlies with Mango are really weird LOL

I never really study Mango vs Armada friendlies because it's....bleh....to me lol, so your guess is as good as mine.

Do you think pound V and WGF were your "prime" so to speak.
The only tournament I have played in that I was actually happy with my play at(given my skill level relative to my full potential at that tournament) was WGF. Pound 5 GFs.....I don't know how to explain exactly what they are LOL. WGF was a product of me wanting to beat the crap out of Mango really badly LMAO.

But no, when I get everything I currently know and will know together one major, it will be FAR better than whatever I have shown. I have 0 doubt about this.

I suppose you could say....relative to my smash career up until this very moment(post apex), that yeah those two tournaments are my prime....but that's something you could say even looking at tournament results. I believe my "prime," whatever that is, has not been seen yet, possibly even by me.

I am almost healthy and may write more of what I expect from myself in a few days when I fully recover haha. I will also hopefully write some useful smash information again.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Lol.

Lol.

Now please, crawl back into that hiatus you've been in for the past six months and stop posting.

---

Anyone see that first hit U Air stuff Zhu was doing vs DSW? So sexy. Probably some actual utility to it, stabilising a FFers position mid combo and all that.

Also, Kou can do shine grabs OOS on demand. Do want.
Do you think pound V and WGF were your "prime" so to speak.
Collectively it would be Rom3, Pound V, WGFs.

Hey PP, do you believe the metagame has caught up to you now and you can no longer overwhelm the top players.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I used to think that we make this game way more complex than it should be. To a degree, I still do.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Generally speaking(in any game/field/aspect of life):

Bad/new players see things as simple without much complexity.

More mid level players (especially ones who think they're good) see things as being ridiculously complex, but consequently often get bogged down in the details.

Top level players see things as simple; by this point the complexity is often natural to them, and they can go back to focusing on the big picture.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Generally speaking(in any game/field/aspect of life):

Bad/new players see things as simple without much complexity.

More mid level players (especially ones who think they're good) see things as being ridiculously complex, but consequently often get bogged down in the details.

Top level players see things as simple; by this point the complexity is often natural to them, and they can go back to focusing on the big picture.
I'm going to sleep soon so I can't write up a big response to this, but I often switch viewpoints for improvement purposes.

I see things as more simple overall because I have mastered more of it....I wouldn't say that makes things less complex. The explanations can often be simple though due to a more developed understanding of how things work.

I am probably agreeing with you and just writing more because I like seeing the complexity in simple phrases LOL. That's kinda how my post looks as I look at both of ours together. XD

WORDS

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I think it's a pretty accurate generalization KK =P That said, I'm sure not everyone falls into it ;)

And yeah it's more or less like PP said; just everyone read PP's response if you want a clarification on any implied thoughts that you might be thinking. For example, I obviously don't think PP understanding things in a simpler way because he has a greater mastery makes them any less complex; some people might have read that in my post but that's hardly what I mean.

Yay PP clarification (though I think it should have been clear, since obviously you got me =P)

Idk, it's just something I've noticed in many areas of games/life/other stuff. There's always a sort of 3 step process by which the entry level doesn't understand things, the mid level thinks they understand everything but focus too much on things that ultimately don't matter as much, and the top level really gets it but generally looks at things in a more "simple minded" way.

Bones0

Smash Legend
THIS does a good job of summing up the whole complexity thing. I think I actually saw this posted somewhere else recently. Cactuar's Marth thread maybe? Idk. I've often used the model to frame my thoughts to help myself improve. Like when I hear about/read about/come up with a concept I haven't explored, that gets me to Conscious Incompetence, and from there I try to advance myself all the way through the list. Example:

Unconscious Incompetence:
I get DD grabbed all the time

Conscious Incompetence:
I realize I need to overshoot aerials

Conscious Competence:
When I aerial, I make an effort to aerial past my opponent in order to cover the DD option

Unconscious Competence:
I overshoot aerials to cover the DD without having to think about it every time, leaving me free to focus on the next incompetency I am unaware of.

If you wanted to add the fifth level, it could me something along the lines of: How well do I understand overshooting aerials? Adding this extra step can be hard (for me, at least) because I always like to believe I have things understood even when I know in the back of my mind I am still lacking full competence in whatever it is. Especially with Smash, reaching any level of competence seems irrelevant because there is almost always something new after it. It's often discouraging because you say to yourself, "Cool, learned something new, but even if I practice it for 10 million ****ing hours I'm still going to be learning new variations/counters/whatever."

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
you just have to be positive when you are improving and always be 100% confident in every decision.
this makes everything simple

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I am not trying to cause any trouble, but something I noticed today while watching javi vs Hax and then Javi vs PeePee is that Hax had much better attitude about the match. If you look at the player cams during the matches you can see Hax nod in approval everytime Javi makes a god play, while on the other hand PP shakes his head disapproving or makes some otherwise negative gesture. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it.

Javi vs Hax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K-ztcaoxG4&feature=related

Javi vs PP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FmBrY3MA9M

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
...gonna have to agree with Kage.

that's such a stretch. some people bob their heads while playing, others shake theirs. stop reading so damn much into it and focus on stuff like PP lasering at a really silly spacing, especially at that part of the stage, around 7:28.

Merkuri

Smash Lord

that's such a stretch. some people bob their heads while playing, others shake theirs. stop reading so damn much into it and focus on stuff like PP lasering at a really silly spacing, especially at that part of the stage, around 7:28.
You serious? You don't think it shows that PP had a worse attitude about he match than Hax did?

Divinokage

Smash Legend

That's fine but my real point is how he insists to get a reaction out of PP to get his opinion over and over.. and over. I'm really surprised you guys haven't given him an infraction.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I didn't know you needed to have a good attitude to be able to play Falco (assuming that this is still a Falco thread, lol).

Seriously, Merkuri, I don't think it matters how much of a good sport someone is (or how much of a bad one you seem to want to make PP out to be). What matters is what you see on the screen. Nothing else.

Also, I played as Falco vs Peach for the first time yesterday (first time against her, not as playing Falco). I want to personally apologize on behalf of Peach for being SO annoying.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I played a "certain someone" at Apex who nodded his head every 3 seconds. lol

I think gestures can be indicative of attitude, but it isn't all black and white and doesn't really apply to everyone. I know when I SD or make a dumb mistake I shake my head, but I'm not really upset. Shaking my head is just my way of shaking off the mistake and my mindset as I shake my head is usually "okay, dumb mistake, it happens, focus harder." I think that can often be way better than nodding your head and simply accepting that it happened because then you are less intent on making adjustments accordingly.

Like I said though, that's all really general and I don't think there's any way nodding your head will have a significant influence on your attitude or vice versa. I'm actually leaning towards any sort of gesture of recognition as being a bad habit because it gives unnecessary hints to your opponent. A lot of the people I saw shaking/nodding their heads vs. me at Apex, I anticipated their adjustment the next time the situation came up. So like if they teched in the same direction twice and I punished both times and then they nod their head, I know to expect a different tech the next time. Although I guess you could mindgame me by nodding and then picking the same option again, and thus Melee has developed another layer of yomi. FML

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion

i noticed that and HOPED peepee somehow meant to hit A instead. i cant figure out any reason why he'd do that, but he knows more than me so maybe it's deeper than what i saw.

actually i just saw which part you meant and he does it earlier in that match also..

it's definitely not that "laser during shield pressure" trick, as he's not even applying shield pressure when he lasers that close.

peepee, evaluate please?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
i noticed that and HOPED peepee somehow meant to hit A instead. i cant figure out any reason why he'd do that, but he knows more than me so maybe it's deeper than what i saw.

actually i just saw which part you meant and he does it earlier in that match also..

it's definitely not that "laser during shield pressure" trick, as he's not even applying shield pressure when he lasers that close.

peepee, evaluate please?
I tried to laser his landing and stop him from moving. I misread where he was or what he would do afterward.

Intentional B button press.

Top Bottom