• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
WOW smashboards deleted my post wow

arg well no one seemed interested in what I had to say anymore so no harm done I guess lol.

the smash improvement-related aspects of the post involved 2 major points:

1. setting yourself into a state designed for improvement should be intuitive. find what makes you improve/focus best and stick to it. keep in mind this can involve lots of things, from what you eat to how you sit in your chair to how you think about what your character should be doing.

2. Preparation wins tournaments more than the actual competing does. This was backed up in part by how much one steels their minds for the endurance/speed/physical tests of the tournament through training.

Landry

Smash Ace
That's definitely proper usage. How do you guys not know of "steeling yourself"? Thats pretty common vernacular.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
When in doubt, use the sword! Slash through doubts and fears!

That's exactly what he means, PP knows already! *gasp*

As long as someone does not have that unrelenting determination, it will be impossible for you to become a top player no matter how much you know about something.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
How many frames of shield stun does shine have? I can't find.

Oh, Kage with the vague follow up involving things about warriors
~i didnt expect this~

Battlecow

Play to Win
WOW smashboards deleted my post wow

arg well no one seemed interested in what I had to say anymore so no harm done I guess lol.

the smash improvement-related aspects of the post involved 2 major points:

1. setting yourself into a state designed for improvement should be intuitive. find what makes you improve/focus best and stick to it. keep in mind this can involve lots of things, from what you eat to how you sit in your chair to how you think about what your character should be doing.

2. Preparation wins tournaments more than the actual competing does. This was backed up in part by how much one steels their minds for the endurance/speed/physical tests of the tournament through training.
nonononononoNONONOOOOOO

I wanted a long post!

'bout to start crying over here

The Business

Smash Journeyman
Hey can someone help me figure out what I was doing wrong (essentially critique me)?

vs sfat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4xb8CB0qg

I thought I was actually playing realllly well at KoC. I was playing really confident and consistently even with little warm up due to running the tournament, but zac **** on me really hard lol
I'm obviously not pro but one thing I did notice was that your out of shield game was almost entirely rolls and grabs that got punished pretty hard.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah. Fundamentally, you were playing fine. I think you could've benefited from a stronger out of shield game. Fox's pressure can be wavedashed out of if you're not playing against weirdly timed or perfect pressure.

I noticed a few small things as well, but overall SFAT just raaeepped that set. He punished you really hard, he DI'd weird so your combos were all 2-3 hits, and his spacing was great even for his standards.

In terms of what you can do, I'd just say be more creative. You definitely don't seem comfortable on platforms. Maybe practice using them to mix up timings. I don't think you should laser more or less, but rather you should not laser when you're so close to Fox. SFAT definitely played with your comfort zone in terms of spacing and always put himself close enough to where you couldn't laser. Maybe run away with lasers every once in a while to prevent that? Maximum length reverse short hop lasers would definitely open up a lot of space between you and Fox, I'd say, and you'd be able to pressure Fox much more comfortably.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Aight Battlecow I'll rewrite the post because it'll be good for me anyway haha. Maybe it will spark some good life in this thread again.

Gimme a little I'll have it up tonight.

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
Hey can someone help me figure out what I was doing wrong (essentially critique me)?

I thought I was actually playing realllly well at KoC. I was playing really confident and consistently even with little warm up due to running the tournament, but zac **** on me really hard lol
The first game you were too eager to land a dtilt (the beginning), and you should go for dairs instead of d smashes when edge guarding fox.

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am aware this is a dumb and hard to answer question, but I'll shoot:
When should I use nair over dair or the other way? The moves both seem to work in a similar way, just the trajectory is obviously very different, but as I don't really understand when it's optimal to nair instead of dair I tend to randomly mixup between the two without having any idea what I am doing.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Some thoughts:

-Nair is cool for catching jumps because it sticks out horizontally more.

-Dair is better at hitting grounded opponents at most percents because it beats CCs and sets up combos well.

-Nair has 2 frames less landing lag than Dair, so it's better on whiff but the same when hitting shield.

-Mixing between the two during combos allows people to miss techs if you Dair over Nair or DI for free punishes if you Nair when they call Dair.

unknown522

Some guy

Omg I remember watching it on the stream

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Mmm, yea that's true. I've had a bad rolling habit for quite a while actually, but it always helps me remember to work on it when people call me out on it hahaha

Gotcha, thanks for all that. I definitely agree I could work on my platform game, just something I'll think about for a bit.

98% of my dtilts are me messing up shines haha. I agree with the dair point, I'm actually not sure why I ever used dsmash anymore, people always tech it and I don't think it goes any further than a proper dair, plus you can mess with the timing of dair, and there is less lag too. Man when I spell out the pros/cons I'm even more confused as to why I ever dsmash anymore LOL

THANX FOR DA INFO BR0

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If you would ask me, I'd say the first match was mostly you getting punished extremely well for technical flubs / dumb ideas that are on you.
SFAT basically got one legit kill... We don't really have to talk about the missed shortened length in the fist stock, 2nd stock is a really good shine gimp from sfat, but I feel you kinda set it up for him, 3rd stock is legit, 4th stock is a really good combo by SFAT, but again... you jump into his charged Upsmash and fail to SDI out of the upairs.
Also, you kinda fail to edgeguard / kill him for ages that one stock...

Other than that, I think that match would've been pretty close, but with those things, it just is SFAT completely destroying you :)

unknown522

Some guy
stabbedbyanipple; said:
THANX FOR DA INFO BR0
you're welcome.

But yeah in all seriousness, you needed to shine oos vs him and CC his n-airs into a shine combo. There were a couple of dropped combos game 1 because you would try to dash-cancel shine instead of just doing a dash attack or a laser.

He was getting around your u-tilt timings, and you also barely used b-air and didn't try to control the ground with lasers. If he jumped up to a platform, you would always try to chase him at a far distance, and played right into his hands.

Dropping combos with too much d-air and/or shine when you had stale moves and then gave him a stunless launch.

D

Deleted member

ken and whoever else had no idea what they were talking about in the second match lol

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Falco was my original character when I started playing back in '05. I'm getting inspired again after going to all of these tournaments and streaming. get ready for a really technical/smart Falco in the next couple of months

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Falco was my original character when I started playing back in '05. I'm getting inspired again after going to all of these tournaments and streaming. get ready for a really technical/smart Falco in the next couple of months
Why play Falco when you can beat Strong Bad with Game & Watch?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Ohhhh. It's time!

Also you started playing as long as I have... Damn

yeah, but I stopped in '07 :/ I'll see you around though. Watch out for this Falco

Why play Falco when you can beat Strong Bad with Game & Watch?
lol, he counter picked me next time we played and obliterated me. G&W can only do so much

Bones0

Smash Legend
yeah, but I stopped in '07 :/ I'll see you around though. Watch out for this Falco

lol, he counter picked me next time we played and obliterated me. G&W can only do so much
My body is ready. I'm likin' the new no-holds-barred GIMR. ^_^

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Stabbed- happened to run into some free time and saw your first game vs sfat. Your biggest issue was easily your punishment game. You lost your second stock because you messed up a punish haha. If you punish harder it also makes all of your moves more intimidating since more of them will link into high damage or kills.

Watch how stale your shine, watch where your next hit sends your opponent, try to set up your hits instead of just trying to get one, and predict DI.

Seems obvious, but keeping these things in mind may help you a lot.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Aight Battlecow I'll rewrite the post because it'll be good for me anyway haha. Maybe it will spark some good life in this thread again.

Gimme a little I'll have it up tonight.
Promises were made, doctor

no but seriously, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in hearing your thoughts on KoC and what it means for THE FUTURE

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
After watching Mango and playing the match-up myself, I believe Falco to Fox is 55-45 Falco, but I could be wrong.

There is no definite matchup, really. We've been playing Fox and Falco for 11 years and the only thing we can say about them is that we aren't sure about the matchup. I think the most naive thing that can be done is apply a number to the complexity of a matchup such as this.

Top Bottom