• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

dkuo

Smash Lord
sickawesome post, makes me want to start taking melee more seriously >_<
i want you to win apex even more now :)

whitemountain123

Smash Cadet
Great post!

I have a few questions. i understand if you don't feel like writing a whole lot more immediately after that post but here they go lol:

When you prepared for mango before KoC, what was your process? Were the things you looked for/worked on for vs. mango specifically or do they apply to the falco ditto (or entire game in general)? Do you think you repeat a process like that for Armada—or Javi even?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Great post, PP. Just what I was waiting for. If I might- you mention early on that one problem you had was a lack of efficient play. how did you overcome/deal with that?

Looking forward additionally to hearing what armada represents

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Great post, but

*****, we didn't play a single friendly at KoC
it made me very sad )=

-zio
Sorrryyyyyy =((((

I played almost no friendlies at KoC because I was really worn out haha =p

good post PP

really motivational

I suppose everyone is on their own "smash journey" to better themselves.

Sometimes this game feels like too much to handle, but I think we only get stronger as players and as human beings by persevering through the bad times.

Your story is a great example of that imo.

Cheers!
ty sir hope it benefits you well

sickawesome post, makes me want to start taking melee more seriously >_<
i want you to win apex even more now :)
=D

Great post!

I have a few questions. i understand if you don't feel like writing a whole lot more immediately after that post but here they go lol:

When you prepared for mango before KoC, what was your process? Were the things you looked for/worked on for vs. mango specifically or do they apply to the falco ditto (or entire game in general)? Do you think you repeat a process like that for Armada—or Javi even?
It's hard to separate some things from player and character because these players are exploiting their characters hard. I made a note of when I got hit or did something inefficient movement wise or combo wise or edgeguard wise etc and trends emerged within the end of the first game. I found that, like most of my losses, I seemed to get hit by a couple things over and over until I lost lol.

I will probably do something similar for both Armada and Javi.

Nice post. I tried to post that hours ago and it didn't send

:phone:
XD

Great post, PP. Just what I was waiting for. If I might- you mention early on that one problem you had was a lack of efficient play. how did you overcome/deal with that?

Looking forward additionally to hearing what armada represents
Inefficient play was based on my time constraints(which I mentioned) and the skill difference(which I kind of mentioned.) Basically, I made tests for ideas based on the character of the opponent or overall theory more than the skill level of the opponent. For example, I wanted to experiment with some movement ideas, so I dreamt them up and tested them vs some of my opponents here. Some results might be exaggerated, but if it works on enough different people then that's a pretty good sign. Also, I can still do work on combos as long as people have some SDI mid-combo.

kevin stop being gay
:p
no =)

Bones0

Smash Legend
For example, I wanted to experiment with some movement ideas, so I dreamt them up and tested them vs some of my opponents here. Some results might be exaggerated, but if it works on enough different people then that's a pretty good sign.
Do you actually have a mental library of movement patterns that you just bust out depending on the situation or "randomly" to keep your opponent guessing, or are you talking about more basic movements being used in general?

Kinda bad description... Basically, how I see it now, we all (hopefully) DDWD with a certain situation in mind. Maybe we DDWD defensively to react effectively to an approach, or we DDWD aggressively to land a hit. Then of course there's stuff in between where you act aggressively and pull back defensively at the last second for a simple bait. Do you focus on these larger pictures and then choose the different methods as mixups, or are the methods different enough that they just have their own situation? I guess the main reason I'm asking this is my main problem atm seems to be maintaining movement. Top players are constantly moving, and it often seems like there's no purpose to a lot of that movement (I'm sure there is though). I try to replicate it myself, but it just feels like I'm filling time with it and not accomplishing anything.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Hey yo, I don't play Falco, barely play this game anymore, but I just had to chime in and say this.

PP, you're ****ing legit. There are plenty of top level players who seem to stay there, but you seem to be the only one who cares enough, and consistently works to get better. I don't care too much about this game, but I respect the people like you who put in a hell of a lot of effort to get where you're at. **** ain't easy.

Also, make sure you stay this way in life as well. Don't let smash take you over, just enjoy it while you can.

By the way, win Apex dude. You got this ****.

I'll be rootin for you, unless Darkrain goes. I mean, dude's ****ing Darkrain.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
kevin you forgot alcohol and me and things because reasons.

angry because mad.

your post is a 7/10.

:ganondorf:

edit: secret falco technique: wavedash forward twice. HAHAHA CONSIDER YOUR SECRETS EXPOSED DR PEEPEE

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Do you actually have a mental library of movement patterns that you just bust out depending on the situation or "randomly" to keep your opponent guessing, or are you talking about more basic movements being used in general?

Kinda bad description... Basically, how I see it now, we all (hopefully) DDWD with a certain situation in mind. Maybe we DDWD defensively to react effectively to an approach, or we DDWD aggressively to land a hit. Then of course there's stuff in between where you act aggressively and pull back defensively at the last second for a simple bait. Do you focus on these larger pictures and then choose the different methods as mixups, or are the methods different enough that they just have their own situation? I guess the main reason I'm asking this is my main problem atm seems to be maintaining movement. Top players are constantly moving, and it often seems like there's no purpose to a lot of that movement (I'm sure there is though). I try to replicate it myself, but it just feels like I'm filling time with it and not accomplishing anything.
I don't move with the intention of creating a certain situation so much as looking for a reaction or trying to force a reaction, kind of like what someone may do if there's a person lying on the ground after being knocked over(although much more complex as there are more spacings and timings to be respected.)

This is all pretty situational and influenced by a multitude of factors. If I'm by the edge of the stage, then I'm more likely to try to push out to take stage without fully committing.....unless my opponent is Peach(then I will go high), or Fox(then I may try to draw him in to counterattack since my moves are bigger), or my percent is high(trades aren't worth it), or the stage is small(because stage control is influenced by having a move out or abusing vertical game better sometimes on small stages)......see what I'm getting at? There's a whole lot that goes into how someone moves and makes any decision because of many factors, not to mention conditioning which is super difficult to discuss as it is.

My suggestion to you is to look at what the player does when they move, and how the opponent responds. Look at a few interactions until a hit is scored, then rewind. See if you can figure out each players' thought processes up until the hit is scored, and how each players' movements led them to the point where someone was hit.

Hey yo, I don't play Falco, barely play this game anymore, but I just had to chime in and say this.

PP, you're ****ing legit. There are plenty of top level players who seem to stay there, but you seem to be the only one who cares enough, and consistently works to get better. I don't care too much about this game, but I respect the people like you who put in a hell of a lot of effort to get where you're at. **** ain't easy.

Also, make sure you stay this way in life as well. Don't let smash take you over, just enjoy it while you can.

By the way, win Apex dude. You got this ****.

I'll be rootin for you, unless Darkrain goes. I mean, dude's ****ing Darkrain.
Ahhh no worries man, Melee will only get better if my life gets better as well. It's a constant improvement on both fronts for me.

Also thank you very much man, you will see great things from me I guarantee it. =)

Edit: Chris shut up LMFAO but yes double WD forward is super sneaky shhh ;)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hey kevin, before i kill myself with this paper do u have class? i wouldn't mind playing till around 2...then i must lock myself in a room and write.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
**** post is ****

This post is really quite inspiring. I might just be some rando on the boards at this point, but it's awesome to me to get confirmation that really aspiring to analyze my game and to better myself in all aspects can yield this much success. The part in your post about constantly craving Melee is especially awesome, haha. I'm more inspired than ever to step up my smash game now. Hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to smash with you someday. You seem like a super legit dude.

Best of luck at Apex!

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
Read this during class :p Screw my dumb english professor. I gotta listen to the words of the REAL doctor here. Loved what you had to say, I'm glad you've gotten all that stuff settled for yourself I'll be rooting for you at Apex.

Edit: And I was really happy for you when you finally beat mango, and in two sets, in the center of #mangonation. Kudos to you man, jumping out of your seat at the end put a smile on my face.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"Reading pp's long posts motivates the **** out of me. Unfortunately, it motivates me to play melee when I should be studying for finals. "

qft

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
gonna be working hard on my Falco in the upcoming weeks. Hopefully gonna be coming up with new things for everyone to use.

for example, I'm pretty sure you can punish Marth's counter with a tech B-air or wave dash on stage to shine, grab or u-tilt since it has so much lag.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Guys, did you know you can attack the opponent with Falco's reflector and then use his downwards aerial repeatedly?

JKJK GIMR.

So you're talking about when Marth is on the edge and you Up B at him and he counters, right? Well, when you're Up-Bing, it probably means you don't have your jump. I also don't think it is possible to waveland back onto the stage off of a walltech/walljump...

Bones0

Smash Legend
You don't need a jump cause you could techjump WL onto the stage, but that's unnecessarily difficult. If you get the tech on counter, just take the side-B to the center. Stage control is way better than bairing them and having to up-B where you'll still be trapped at the ledge (and maybe even get killed if you baired them at too low of a %). Alternatively, you could just start your up-B away from the ledge so you can go straight up, or just out-sweetspot the counter. If you get the right angle (not a RIGHT angle lol) then you will trigger the counter but still grab the ledge, so you get a free LH/LD punish.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Angling your up B to avoid the counter is better imo, since if you get past it that way then you get the free punish easily.

Of course, you could do both, and use the tech as a backup in case you get hit (especially on yoshi's where it's hard to hit the angle).

Mahone

Smash Champion
marth's are soooo bad at wiggling out (or jumping) of side-bs they get hit by...

whenever i play a marth and sideb him and then a free techchase on him by the ledge (and usually end up fsmashing them off)...

i just unplug my controller because its not worth my time

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's because Marth's instinctively use side-B to stall their momentum, so they end up trying to meteor cancel with side-B. Or at least that's what I do a lot.

Top Bottom