• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Zhea

Smash Ace
Ummm I don't know the staled data but here is the thread containing foxes shield pressure data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109595. Any breaks longer than a 4 frames ( it's 3 frames before falco leaves the ground right?) you can "technically" shine out of shield.

As for crouch canceling when doing moves I was pretty sure ccing was just di and therefore would work as long your were holding down on the ground until your percent was high enough. So yes I think you can. Not sure. Pretty sure if you get hit it still interrupts your attack.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Found this video yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axrywDP9Ii0

A plausible scientific reason for why you feel better when you have more goals that work towards in your life. Also explains the reason why your were more excited for Pound 4/5 then Genesis 2.

The full talk is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZAL64E0DI

It's more focused on while structurally the parts our brain is made of don't really differ from most animals, humans way of using the brain greatly differs. Good way to kill an hour of tech practice.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
that is from the stone age gimr
yeah but no one does it in tournament. which means it's not being used in the metagame

And B0nes, unlike a lot of hitboxes Marth's counter puts him right next to the ledge and always hits you right next to the ledge because you have to hit him for it to work. This makes wavedashing onto the stage a lot more practical. And you can get a fully combo instead of just stage control.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I know everyone has probably talked about it at some point, but I want to sort of going into detail about this method of practice that I've been using.

The problem with a lot of newer players is that they practice tech skill and they have trouble applying it to common situations. I know that was one of my worst habits. I could dair shine on the ground for hours without messing up. I could even do it consistently against a handicapped Bowser. However, I never ever learned how to practice against shields.

I found that the other issue with my gameplay was that my tech skill was more of a procedure and not an instinct. I wasn't reacting. I was just performing attacks from memory. So, I wanted to figure out a way to vary the way a computer played so that it wasn't just me repeating patterns.

Well, now I practice on Yoshi's. I make the CPU a level 1 fox and I turn starmans on high.

What this does is create 4 potential situations, of which you must adapt to each time.

The first situation is no invincibility. When neither of you are invincible, Fox will approach you and you can practice lasering him and doing basic non-di'd combos.

The second is Fox with invincibility. When Fox is invincible, you can practice shield pressure on him. The invincibility mimics the lag of a shield, I'm pretty sure. The great thing is that Fox will punish you with jabs if you don't do it fast enough. However, if you do perfect to near perfect dair shines, Fox won't be able to jab you. The best part of this is that it will condition you to react when an opponent hits you during shield pressure. People ride on momentum, so as soon as someone does something out of shield that they don't expect and they get caught, they slow down. This practice has definitely increased my reaction time and has made my shield pressure much more consistent.

The third is you with invincibility. When you're invincible Fox will run away from you. This is wonderful practice because a level 1 fox is actually pretty smart when he is running away from you. He will vary running straight across the stage and using the platforms. As a Falco, this is great practice for learning where your opponent will be and not where they are.

The fourth is when you both have invincibility. Fox will run to the edge and stand completely still. This one is pretty useful because you can practice moving around the opponents shield and spacing on their shield. I like to practice shine to retreating dair/nair with this one.

Watchu guys think?

dkuo

Smash Lord
I particularly liked this bit
The best part of this is that it will condition you to react when an opponent hits you during shield pressure. People ride on momentum, so as soon as someone does something out of shield that they don't expect and they get caught, they slow down.
Point 3 is debatable since I feel like Fox tends to run away the same way. I'm not sure but I think they also DI differently when in evade mode, so there's a plus (thanks vist for showing me this in training mode lol)

Will be trying it out :)

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Practicing alone should only be used for tech skill and getting used to character fall speeds for spacing imo

:phone:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I usually just go ham on the CPU in their respawn invincibility to practice shield pressure and then do combo stuffs with shines on plats :D
But starman practice sounds good as well, now if I wasn't soooo lazy when it comes to training tech skill :x

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The second is Fox with invincibility. When Fox is invincible, you can practice shield pressure on him. The invincibility mimics the lag of a shield, I'm pretty sure. The great thing is that Fox will punish you with jabs if you don't do it fast enough. However, if you do perfect to near perfect dair shines, Fox won't be able to jab you. The best part of this is that it will condition you to react when an opponent hits you during shield pressure. People ride on momentum, so as soon as someone does something out of shield that they don't expect and they get caught, they slow down. This practice has definitely increased my reaction time and has made my shield pressure much more consistent.
lol come on Wretched think this through

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Point 3 is debatable since I feel like Fox tends to run away the same way. I'm not sure but I think they also DI differently when in evade mode, so there's a plus (thanks vist for showing me this in training mode lol)
Uh... Well, If you aren't invincible, he will walk straight at you and jab or something. If you are invincible, he will jump and run and do everything he can to stay as far away from you as possible. It's pretty cut and dry... unless I'm confused on what you're saying?

Practicing alone should only be used for tech skill and getting used to character fall speeds for spacing imo

Some people can't go to a bunch of tournaments and get that kind of experience. This will help you prepare for what humans will do, too, because it creates a lot of different situations that normally you can only practice on people. Practicing against computers is usually one dimensional and all about spacing for a single attack and then comboing them to death, and I think in that sense, it is only good for tech skill.

However, I think practicing alone should also be a way to consolidate things that you've learned every tournament. Whenever I get back from a tournament, I immediately attempt to acknowledge everything that I did wrong. Maybe I got shield grabbed a lot, so I will go and practice shield pressure. Maybe I dropped combos on certain characters, so I will go and practice doing basic combos on characters of that weight.

@Crimson, Maybe I should've been more specific, but I stand by that. When you're doing dair shines on Fox, if you do it fast enough, he will never jab. He just won't. Go try it out. You can sit there and do drill shines on his invincible body and he won't do anything unless you mess up.

dkuo

Smash Lord
I meant like its the same way how a lvl 9 will approach you the same way all the time. A human player understands different paths to evade with and how the opponent may cut them off. When you have starman the cpu always goes for the same path of escape depending on where you are relative to them/the map, and often it's quite easy to intercept once you play the cpu for a while.

I agree that it's good for what you mentioned though, which is learning to hit moving targets, but only to an extent.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
@Crimson, Maybe I should've been more specific, but I stand by that. When you're doing dair shines on Fox, if you do it fast enough, he will never jab. He just won't. Go try it out. You can sit there and do drill shines on his invincible body and he won't do anything unless you mess up.
If you say so dude.

Melee is so funny.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Anyways, I practiced my tech skill for about 3 hours on Tuesday and it got my Falco back into shape. He's 2x faster then he was befire

rpotts

Smash Lord
Hitting an invincible hurtbox, like a player in respawn invincibility, has the same hitlag as player/shield, right?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Ah, I see. I guess the starman just makes me more patient when hitting shields. It really feels like shields are different than opponents, though >.>

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Oh man I played S2J for 4-5 hours last night.

Above all, it reinforced the advice PP gave me; that really knowing how they'll DI off your utilt/shine/dair etc. is super key to getting the most out of your combos. Versus average players, Falco players get lazy I think because we can blow them up with only a general sense of where they will/can go.

Vs high level players who can DI well and mix it up well, it's much harder to get killer punishes obviously. If you pay attention and have a really intimate knowledge of where you're going to send them, then you'll be able to react much faster to their DI.

It was a good training session because Johnny has insane DI vs falco, so the only way to really hurt him is to know how to react to all the angles you'll send him at. That, and also that Johnny is an AMAZING example of someone who knows intimately knows how to punish with his character. He was doing some 5-star punishes on techs and DI that I'm absolutely certain only a very few amount of falcons can hit.

This stuff might be obvious, but I really wanted to post my thoughts about it after so many hours of playing yesterday lol

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
kevin i don't understand, i've been eating healthy as **** and running every other day.

so explain to me why i still cannot write introspective journal entries as well as you can? :(
acquire a female and go out of state for a tournament and you'll be in there.

btw i miss u twitch.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I know everyone has probably talked about it at some point, but I want to sort of going into detail about this method of practice that I've been using.

The problem with a lot of newer players is that they practice tech skill and they have trouble applying it to common situations. I know that was one of my worst habits. I could dair shine on the ground for hours without messing up. I could even do it consistently against a handicapped Bowser. However, I never ever learned how to practice against shields.

I found that the other issue with my gameplay was that my tech skill was more of a procedure and not an instinct. I wasn't reacting. I was just performing attacks from memory. So, I wanted to figure out a way to vary the way a computer played so that it wasn't just me repeating patterns.

Well, now I practice on Yoshi's. I make the CPU a level 1 fox and I turn starmans on high.

What this does is create 4 potential situations, of which you must adapt to each time.

The first situation is no invincibility. When neither of you are invincible, Fox will approach you and you can practice lasering him and doing basic non-di'd combos.

The third is you with invincibility. When you're invincible Fox will run away from you. This is wonderful practice because a level 1 fox is actually pretty smart when he is running away from you. He will vary running straight across the stage and using the platforms. As a Falco, this is great practice for learning where your opponent will be and not where they are.

The fourth is when you both have invincibility. Fox will run to the edge and stand completely still. This one is pretty useful because you can practice moving around the opponents shield and spacing on their shield. I like to practice shine to retreating dair/nair with this one.

Watchu guys think?
Haven't read all of the responses yet, but if the Fox truly doesn't jab in between then that's awesome.

However, what do you mean "perfect" aerial to shines? Nothing is truly safe on shield(especially staled) so I'm wondering if you're just building a consistent but still somewhat bad habit anyway.

Overall this method of practice is pretty solid but could use some variety. I suggest mixing in double shines and shine grabs vs invincible Fox even if it feels weird. Always consider how a player may adapt to pressure when doing this!

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Haven't read all of the responses yet, but if the Fox truly doesn't jab in between then that's awesome.

However, what do you mean "perfect" aerial to shines? Nothing is truly safe on shield(especially staled) so I'm wondering if you're just building a consistent but still somewhat bad habit anyway.

Overall this method of practice is pretty solid but could use some variety. I suggest mixing in double shines and shine grabs vs invincible Fox even if it feels weird. Always consider how a player may adapt to pressure when doing this!
I guess perfect is the wrong word. A better term would be 'as long as you don't mess up'. If you jump out of your shine quick enough, throw out the aerial immediately, and then fast fall, all within a reasonable amount of frames, he won't jab. Pretty much just the execution you need not to get shield grabbed.

I try to vary what I practice on him. Something I didn't mention that I practice is movement immediately after hitting a shield. I noticed that Mango would do perfect dairs and nairs on shields and then immediately go into dash dances without any shines. I never even thought to practice shinegrabs, though >.>;

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Shoutouts to Peef because god damn has Melee streaming has come far, and I attribute a ridiculous amount of that success to him and the people who directly supported him.
I really appreciate that man. I'm glad people at this point are taking over and doing so well. It really means a ton to me that you see me this way. :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I guess perfect is the wrong word. A better term would be 'as long as you don't mess up'. If you jump out of your shine quick enough, throw out the aerial immediately, and then fast fall, all within a reasonable amount of frames, he won't jab. Pretty much just the execution you need not to get shield grabbed.

I try to vary what I practice on him. Something I didn't mention that I practice is movement immediately after hitting a shield. I noticed that Mango would do perfect dairs and nairs on shields and then immediately go into dash dances without any shines. I never even thought to practice shinegrabs, though >.>;
you have to avoid a lot more than shield grabs when shield pressuring but that's a decent start I suppose.

be sure to work on double shine waveland on a platform as well!

Bones0

Smash Legend
apex coming up soon, any critique would be awesome.

Bones, Marth?
- Don't let him scare you off the ledge. Use up-B stalls and shine-bairs when Marth's recovering low (which is almost always).

- I saw that messed up shield drop. Keep at it. lol

4:10 - You got grabbed there because you DJed, meaning your landing location was predictable. Idk if you were trying to get to the top plat or something.

4:48 - Take every opportunity you can to slide off from grabs. Choosing to tech is basically hoping the Marth messes up because he can cover all of the other options with a simple DD grab.

5:08 - Not sure if you had time to react in that particular instance, but the only way around them charging neutral B in those situations is to shine stall at the peak of your DJ and then up-B right after. It will stall long enough that a full charge will go off before you get to him, so the only way they can still edgeguard is to let it go and try to edgeguard what you do after the shine stall (side-B instead of up-B after the shine stall can really catch them off guard if they end the neutral-B in reaction to your shine stall).

5:18 - Never back off of Marth when you have him pinned at the ledge like that. If you're ever too worried about shield grabs, just do a fade away dair on their shield. Falco's hitboxes in this position are so ridiculously good that there's no reason to back off. Dair and AC bair alone can defend against anything Marth can do OoS by the ledge. Worst case scenario is he trades and gets knocked back off while you just get another edgeguard opportunity. There's surprisingly little Marth can do to get you off stage without grabbing or blindly utilting (which he can't do OoS).

5:50 - You do a lot of shine-bair/dair in this set that doesn't lead to anything. I would just avoid jumping into shine on their shield. You could just as easily aerial on their shield or grab. Only exception I would make is if you can shine DJ WL off a side plat and keep the pressure on with a laser/aerial as you slide off.

5:58 - Slide off opportunity on the second fthrow.

6:35 - It looked like you DI'd that dthrow straight down or something. lol If you think they'll toss you off stage with dthrow, DI up (and slightly away depending on %; you don't want to DI too far in and get your DJ dtilted at low %s). From there you can DJ back for side-B/up-B mixups, but still have the option to DJ dair back on.

7:00 - That was the jump into shine thing I was talking about. You can see it worked way better because you had the side plat to work with.

7:05 - Don't give him the ledge. Once he was within range of your LH bair you should have just pulled the trigger.

7:10 - This wasn't the fadeaway dair I suggested above since you were on the plat, but your instinct told you he wanted a shield grab, so just make sure you're on top of it so you can punish the whiff. Maybe you were and the missed L-cancel just messed you up.

7:20 - If he's too low to hit with a regular drop down DJ bair, shine-bair his ***. Worst scenario is he techs the shine, and Marth's recovery options from there are still really poor. He'll either tech jump and go high (easy-mode edge guard; just bair him) or he'll do a regular tech and have to up-B again (you'd land on stage from the shine-bair, so you'd just have to time a dsmash).

Pay a little more attention to the lasers when he's off stage. Hitting 3 lasers instead of 0 can make a pretty big difference when it comes to whether or not Marth can make it back.

7:55 - There's no reason to drop that low before you up-B. Marth players love when Falco goes to that area below the stage because dropzone side-B is so easy to hit on him. This is more something you would want to do with Fox where Marth will be afraid of getting hit by the fire's hitbox. Also make sure you're side-Bing right before you get too low to grab the ledge after jabs just in case. If you are still in stun, you just continue to play it. If you were out of stun either because of your height/your %/jab being staled, then you'll side-B to the ledge and probably spike him as he runs off.

8:45 - Firestall would have been perfect. He was too low to LH bair and even to shine-bair, so just refreshing your invinc and waiting for him to make the next move is your best option. Also make sure you're paying attention to Marth's DJ and side-B. He used his side-B when he got knocked off, so you know all he had left was DJ up-B mixups. You can expect Marth to go really low when he still has his DJ because it's a lot safer and he can rely on his DJ to get him back to the stage or stall for the ledge if it looks like you're just going to roll.

Also, it's pretty ballzy, but as soon as you noticed he was under you, you could have just ledgedropped with a bair. There was no possible way for him to avoid it, and he would have been way too low to get back.

8:52 - I would probably roll to the middle in that situation most of the time. Even if it's predictable, it's way harder for Marth to get Falco off the ground from the middle instead of the other options where you remain by the ledge and are potentially a single dthrow from getting edgeguarded. Also keep in mind which side of you Marth is on. If he's behind you, getup shine is way more viable. The front side of shine's hitbox is awful, and good Marths are always making sure to try to outspace shine when grabbing (which isn't that hard considering Marth's grab range).

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
how do i fight gay h0m0 upB never approach shoot, missle platform drop always sweetspotting ledge samus??
i dont wanna camp :p

laser to interrupt his camping. apporaching lasers after you've stopped the camping. You are now in control in a large way

Edit: Also after you see he up-B OOS you shield pressure. Approach the shielding samus with an empty jump shield to bait the up-B. You may be able to approach with lcanceled n-air to shield also to bait the up-b. You gotta capitalize fully with your punished to make the Samus afraid to continue up-bing

Bones0

Smash Legend
Be patient with lasers. Space dairs/bairs (fadeaway to avoid up-Bs OoS). Grab to uthrow fair/bair (make sure she doesn't just nair out or even trade). Keep her in the air with uairs when possible. Shine off the top kills really low. Combo with dair and utilt. Dair to dair combos at higher %s, especially if you think it can get you a spike off stage for an early kill.

I feel like 20% of the matchup is doing ^that stuff, and the other 80% is not falling for her tricks or being too risky in general. Just watch any Samus vs. Falco and you'll see that Falco tends to do fine until they get predictable trying to play exclusively campy or aggro and the Samus will use some gimmick that leads to an edgeguard and death. I guess I shouldn't call them gimmicks since they are legitimate strategies that work, but for the most part they can be avoided. The problem is being able to avoid all of them at all times, which is especially difficult because Falco has to play Samus differently than most of the cast because he can't rely on initiating shield pressure.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
apex coming up soon, any critique would be awesome.

Bones, Marth?
0:25 you full hop nair completely throwing out an attack and get edgeguarded.
- Do safer approaches
0:48 Peach gets stuck behind you and she dsmashes and hits you.
- Should of shined OoS (unless you were going to and just got poked lol)
0:49 That was awesome.
I seriously cant finish this right now lol i suck

EDIT:
Be patient with lasers. Space dairs/bairs (fadeaway to avoid up-Bs OoS). Grab to uthrow fair/bair (make sure she doesn't just nair out or even trade). Keep her in the air with uairs when possible. Shine off the top kills really low. Combo with dair and utilt. Dair to dair combos at higher %s, especially if you think it can get you a spike off stage for an early kill.

I feel like 20% of the matchup is doing ^that stuff, and the other 80% is not falling for her tricks or being too risky in general. Just watch any Samus vs. Falco and you'll see that Falco tends to do fine until they get predictable trying to play exclusively campy or aggro and the Samus will use some gimmick that leads to an edgeguard and death. I guess I shouldn't call them gimmicks since they are legitimate strategies that work, but for the most part they can be avoided. The problem is being able to avoid all of them at all times, which is especially difficult because Falco has to play Samus differently than most of the cast because he can't rely on initiating shield pressure.
This one Samus I played wuld wait until I approached with dair and would just wd Dsmash and **** me lol. Watchout for things like this.
Can't Falco campus Samus pretty good? I mean lasers>missles is a no brainer. And her aerial speed sucks.
EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4U2...cI6_Dw&index=3
My fsmash 1:54 Listen to how the music connects with it.

Top Bottom