• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

smashbot226

Smash Master
I never said Lucario was an Aura type. I said he was the Aura Pokemon, which is actual description of the in-game Pokedex. I digress: I don't think Krystal's odds are as good as others make it out to be.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In all my attempts to make a workable roster except when I uped the limit to 50, it always came down to Mewtwo vs Lucario aand Krystal vs Wolf.

I wonder if they've had this discussion 20 times over in Smash Dev-land.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In all my attempts to make a workable roster except when I uped the limit to 50, it always came down to Mewtwo vs Lucario aand Krystal vs Wolf.

I wonder if they've had this discussion 20 times over in Smash Dev-land.
Watch as we don't get Krystal or Lucario but have gems like Toon Zelda, added and Toon Ass Link stick around. The former is actually tied pretty much with Krystal in my poll atm.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
(wow I can't believe I haven't posted here yet) I'm in full support of krystal, but sadly her chances are slim-ish.

I'd rather have 4 SF characters, because I don't care about "reps or overreps" and i'm sure sakurai doesn't care either.
I want lucario to stay as well, since he's one of my favorite pokemon.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
(wow I can't believe I haven't posted here yet) I'm in full support of krystal, but sadly her chances are slim-ish.

But why tho? Like, really.. who's a shoe in? Maybe... three or four characters? That's about it. After that it's anyone's game for the most part. We have a pool of about 22ish choices and were getting between 10 and 17 of them. Her chances SEEM slim, and then you realize she's one of the more popular choices, and there isn't too many choices left to begin with.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
But why tho? Like, really.. who's a shoe in? Maybe... three or four characters? That's about it. After that it's anyone's game for the most part. We have a pool of about 22ish choices and were getting between 10 and 17 of them. Her chances SEEM slim, and then you realize she's one of the more popular choices, and there isn't too many choices left to begin with.

Of all potential characters I have figured so far Krystal is in the upper tiers. Removing already confirmed characters, veterans and Melee drop-outs, I figured there's 38 potential characters. It seems like really bad chances but about 15 of them are all in the Mario, Zelda and Pokemon Series. Of the existing series that aren't in the big 3 the competition is Ridley, Palutena, Waddle Dee and the lords of Fire Emblem Awakening. Maybe another F-Zero racer in a pinch.

The real competition is in the new series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think getting a new F-Zero character is a pipe dream at this point.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't see why Krystal won't get in SSB4
She has all the eligibility requirements met. The fans have been asking for Mega Man and Sonic for while, and they got in. There is a 75℅ chance she will be in (Not a lock, but very likely.)

D

Deleted member

Still don't like the idea of Krystal and find that people overstate her chances and importance, but upon thinking about how characters from the same series are made to match each other for the most part, I thought about how Krystal would look if she was in Smash 4.

It wouldn't be like how she appeared in Brawl, as that was directly ripped from Assault. Command's appearance is closer to what I'd imagine, but not exactly like it since Fox/Falco/Wolf only use it as base.
In fact, I see more of a design similar to her Star Wolf/Cornerian Fighter design, as it seems more in tune with Fox/Falco design-wise.

Probably wouldn't have the helmet, though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I would laugh if that Krystal got in and fans would complain how she's not sexy/skimpy enough.

Seriously though, do kinda like that design. Makes her seem more retro.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
"Overstated Importance" compared to who? Falco? Falco literally has never furthered the plotline. If we can have Falco, we can have Krystal.

But yeah, there's a picture sort of like that one that I think would be cool.

I like the idea of her getting a "Star Fox 3D" look, which this picture always reminds me of.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I checked and this thread is the third most replied character specific thread in the characters board.

Doesn't mean she's the third most wanted character necessarily but it does mean she'd the third most controversial behind Ridley and King K. Rool.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
lol She definitely is at least the third most controversial character. :laugh: While Ridley and K. Rool have almost unanimous support in their threads, this one has plenty of naysayers chiming in. Shame, too. I've always liked Krystal. I guess that I just never felt the "betrayal" that most Star Fox fans have felt from the newer games (except Command; as far as I'm concerned, that didn't happen).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal will be in Smash 4. She may not be playable, but after really thinking about it, the four newcomers that have been shown in the game (Skull kid, Wii Fit, Megs, and AC) I've come to the realization of a few things.

1. Sakurai is listening to the fans. Megaman and Skull kid really show this to me. Megaman has been arguably the most wanted newcomer since Brawl's release. Skull kid, has NO reason to show up other than fans really, really like him. (I also have a feeling that "poll" that popped up a year or two back where he topped the charts has something to do with it) I think at worst the top 15 most wanted newcomers will be scattered between AT's, playable characters, and bosses. We will see everyone we want to see in some form.

2. Sakurai is thinking outside the box. Wii Fit Trainer was literally him saying "I bet you'll never guess who I'm throwing out next!". We want want some characters we "expect", but we also like some suprises.

3. Sakurai is throwing out a lot of prior notions/restrictions he had about characters. With AC Villager, we know he was deconfirmed prior to Brawl's release. For whatever reason, Sakurai had an idea in his head that some characters aren't fit to Smash, well... not anymore. So, characters like Toad, Tingle, and the likes all have those "not fit to Smash" stamps pulled off.

I would just like to note that I wouldn't even say Ridley or K Rool are the "most wanted" characters for Smash 4. There is a lot of community discrepancies, and I would be willing to bet Mewtwo, and Junior top the list pretty high.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wow, are you ******** Shortie?
think at worst the top 15 most wanted newcomers will be scattered between AT's, playable characters, and bosses. We will see everyone we want to see in some form.
Next time use those pretty little eyes of yours.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would just like to note that I wouldn't even say Ridley or K Rool are the "most wanted" characters for Smash 4. There is a lot of community discrepancies, and I would be willing to bet Mewtwo, and Junior top the list pretty high.

Truth be told, Mewtwo always tops the most wanted list closley followed by Roy. I guess people are saps for nostalgia. Can't blame them.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Krystal will be in Smash 4. She may not be playable, but after really thinking about it, the four newcomers that have been shown in the game (Skull kid, Wii Fit, Megs, and AC) I've come to the realization of a few things.
I'm thinking that Krystal has a great shot as an assist trophy.

1. Sakurai is listening to the fans. Megaman and Skull kid really show this to me. Megaman has been arguably the most wanted newcomer since Brawl's release. Skull kid, has NO reason to show up other than fans really, really like him. (I also have a feeling that "poll" that popped up a year or two back where he topped the charts has something to do with it) I think at worst the top 15 most wanted newcomers will be scattered between AT's, playable characters, and bosses. We will see everyone we want to see in some form.
Krystal doesn't really have a lot of demand anymore. Palutena is easily the most requested female, and I'm pretty sure most have decided that Star Fox is perfectly fine as it is now.

2. Sakurai is thinking outside the box. Wii Fit Trainer was literally him saying "I bet you'll never guess who I'm throwing out next!". We want want some characters we "expect", but we also like some suprises.
I mean, I guess, but Wii Fit Trainer is very possibly the WTF character this time around. Thinking outside the box applies to Game and Watch and ROB too. It's a tradition. So I don't expect AS many surprises as some others (COUGHBluePikmin) do.

3. Sakurai is throwing out a lot of prior notions/restrictions he had about characters. With AC Villager, we know he was deconfirmed prior to Brawl's release. For whatever reason, Sakurai had an idea in his head that some characters aren't fit to Smash, well... not anymore. So, characters like Toad, Tingle, and the likes all have those "not fit to Smash" stamps pulled off.
Ridley confirmed I suppose. And I would love Toad, but of course, there's Peach's N-Special that doesn't look touched since we last saw it.

Ridley is not, only in the West. K. Rool is worldwide. No debate. Mewtwo yes, Junior...
Eh....

PS: I just want a little debate. I'm a bit bored.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Truth be told, Mewtwo always tops the most wanted list closley followed by Roy. I guess people are saps for nostalgia. Can't blame them.

Mewtwo, Ridley, and K Rool do have a lot of popularity, everyone does fluctuate on some sites. Like 4chan, for example. Krystal and Roy aren't nearly as requested there. Chrom kind of ***** Roy there. Serenas forest also has a varied opinion on FE choices, but that's because it's an FE community. I'd imagine Lucario fairs better over at Serebii than he does anywhere else as well. So yeah, there is a decent amount of fluctuation depending on what community you go to.

@Louie G, I've been polling Smash communities since 2010, check out my thread and it's stats and come back and talk about Krystal not being popular. I'm not really interested in debating. What's the point.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Popularity isn't the only factor. That's where I believe Krystal fails.

Star Fox was anything but relevant to the Wii era besides Command and well...Smash Bros. If you take a lot of what Sakurai has said, it paints a much different picture from my side of things.

First, there"s the fact that he wants to add more new series. Then the fact that there won't be as many newcomers in general. Mewtwo, Roy/Chrom, K.Rool, Ridley, Palutena and Shulk are pretty high on the list. While Krystal may be up there as well, she doesn't even touch the first half of this list.

Plus, Sakurai DOES look at roster balance. Why should Star Fox have 4 characters? It would be matching Mario and Zelda, two gigantic series that are actually relevant to Nintendo's plans on a continual basis. Metroid actually got a Wii title (even though it sucked apparently), DKC is still a focus...etc...

Not to say that Krystal isn't going to happen, but saying that she is likely is being delusional. If we get 10 newcomers, 3 spots are already taken. If that leak is true, that's three more spots. Do you really think she would beat out 4 other characters when we have a selection pool like we have, and less relevance than last generation?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Do you really think she would beat out 4 other characters when we have a selection pool like we have, and less relevance than last generation?

Depends. How many furries are there in the world? :rotfl:

I think figuring out Sakurai's selection criteria is something we haven't gotten down and if we did some of the magic would be lost

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
"Overstated Importance" compared to who? Falco? Falco literally has never furthered the plotline. If we can have Falco, we can have Krystal.

But yeah, there's a picture sort of like that one that I think would be cool.

I like the idea of her getting a "Star Fox 3D" look, which this picture always reminds me of.
Command kinda gave Falco more importance. Then again, with so many different possible endings that's only logical.

I'd still like to see Krystal in to be honest. She was the last Rare-created Nintendo character, and StarFox Adventures was the last Rare-made console Nintendo game. Am not seeing her happening any time soon, but I'd like it nonetheless. I was quite a Krystal supporter pre-Brawl, but never went with the Krystal vs Wolf war. So I also wasn't that upset that Wolf actually made it before her.

However, if they want to add more StarFox characters, Krystal definitely has my vote.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wolf making it in before Krystal makes sense if you remember Sakurai loves SF64, and may not have even known that much about Krystal until after the fact. I actually love Wolf. Falco is my least favorite pilot from the series, not including all the losers on Wolf's team. I would prefer a game where Wolf and Krystal coexist, instead one getting in over the other.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@Shortiecanbrawl: You like Slippy more than Falco? O.o

And for no reason I thought I share this old but still priceless gem.

tekkie

Smash Master
starfox with 4 reps isn't an even slightly farfetched idea and i think Krystal would be next in line in that regard

[main character, main character, villain, female side character]

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Popularity isn't the only factor. Plus, Sakurai DOES look at roster balance. Why should Star Fox have 4 characters? It would be matching Mario and Zelda, two gigantic series that are actually relevant to Nintendo's plans on a continual basis. Metroid actually got a Wii title (even though it sucked appar still a focus...etc...
If Sakurai truly cared about balance, Toon Link would have been cut from SSB4 and we would not have had as many clones and reskins as we did in Melee and Brawl. Smash is lacking female fighters (not the FRIGGIN WII FIT TRAINER, WTF WAS SAKURAI THINKING.) and more villians.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That went right over your head.

It's series balance that i'm talking about. Not gender balance, not archetype balance. Series balance. I didn't even bring up clones anyway, that's irrelevant to what i'm talking about. Toon Link is in there for a reason, as Sakurai wants to have two versions of Link.

Clones have nothing to do with balance. Really. It doesn't.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That went right over your head.

It's series balance that i'm talking about. Not gender balance, not archetype balance. Series balance. I didn't even bring up clones anyway, that's irrelevant to what i'm talking about. Toon Link is in there for a reason, as Sakurai wants to have two versions of Link.

Clones have nothing to do with balance. Really. It doesn't.

Touché, but still two versions of the same character WITH THE EXACT SAME MOVESET is stupid, The next thing Sakurai is going to do to troll us is putting Slippy or The Rock (WWE fame) in. I agree about series balance though. I was refering to the balance of character uniqueness, however. PSASBR had two Cole McGraths, but Good Cole and Evil Cole played completely different from one another and had different movesets. If Toon Link and Link were bit like good and Evil Cole (not moveset wise, I mean play completely different) then I could care less, if he's in or not.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Touché, but still two versions of the same character WITH THE EXACT SAME MOVESET is stupid, The next thing Sakurai is going to do to troll us is putting Slippy or The Rock (WWE fame) in. I agree about series balance though. I was refering to the balance of character uniqueness, however. PSASBR had two Cole McGraths, but Good Cole and Evil Cole played completely different from one another and had different movesets. If Toon Link and Link were bit like good and Evil Cole (not moveset wise, I mean play completely different) then I could care less, if he's in or not.

Their movesets differ from each other quite a bit.

With the exception of his up aerial, Toon Link's aerials are completely different from Link's. Toon Linlks Up-Smash is also different. Toon Link's Boomerang can't pull characters with it like Link's Gale Boomerang, and it also deals a little more damage than the Gale Boomerang. And also,
Toon Link's Up-special will pull nearby players in for multiple hits, while Link's just does one, stronger hit. When used in the air, Toon Link's Up-special also covers more distance than Link's Up-special does.

Here's a moveset comparison video. You'll see the differences in their Boomerangs, their Up-Smashes, and their aerials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdt6ZlJCDo

And I've seen enough good Link and Toon Link players to know that their playstyles are significantly different from one and other.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah because Slippy is the comic relief. Falco plays the "Im the tough guy with a heart of gold" thing going and it just doesn't strike me. Even Peppy's got the senile thing going for him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It still amazes me how many haters of krystal still visit this thread...
Her hatebase rivals her fanbase in size.

She's comparable to Tingle and Waluigi in a sense.

None of them deserve the hate though.

Regardless, as I have said before. Krystal would be cool, but not at the expense of Falco and/or Wolf.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

She's comparable to Tingle and Waluigi in a sense.

None of them deserve the hate though.

Regardless, as I have said before. Krystal would be cool, but not at the expense of Falco and/or Wolf.
She's my second most wanted character for smash 4, I quit coming to this thread due to it almost being completely negative.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
She's my second most wanted character for smash 4, I quit coming to this thread due to it almost being completely negative.
Well, there might be something we can do about that.

Maybe a change in tactic and attitude?

I think pushing Krystal as a 4th SF character will go over much better than replacing Falco and/or Wolf.

Furthermore, Krystal supporters have a very bad stereotype among them. Essentially they're all furries. And rabid, obsessive ones at that. Pre-Brawl speculation DID NOT help. It basically cemented the notion in our minds. Disproving that stereotype could help. Maybe you should talk about why you want Krystal as a character.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well, there might be something we can do about that.

Maybe a change in tactic and attitude?

I think pushing Krystal as a 4th SF character will go over much better than replacing Falco and/or Wolf.

Furthermore, Krystal supporters have a very bad stereotype among them. Essentially they're all furries. And rabid, obsessive ones at that. Pre-Brawl speculation DID NOT help. It basically cemented the notion in our minds. Disproving that stereotype could help. Maybe you should talk about why you want Krystal as a character.
Sigh this why I don't have my ssb4 sig anymore, because i'm automatically classified as a "furry" which i'm not, that's just gross dude. But the sterotype won't go away.

Anyway, you've heard why already i'm sure. Krystal would bring a staff moveset to the table something that smash hasn't had yet, playing kilik in the soul calibur series or son-son in mvc2 is very fun, I'd think krystal could liven up the roster a bit using quick attacks with her staff and mixing it up with fire projectiles.

Though note: I'm pushing for 4 SF characters, not really cutting anyone, cause I like wolf and falco as well. I think she's unlikely though, I'd be okay with shulk, takamaru, and palutena in smash 4 but we'll see.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Really, it doesn't. There are just some people who REALLY don't like her and make it seem that way. She's quite popular, and to say her HATE base rivals that, is.. a stretch.

Really? You're going to pull THAT card. No one even talks about her being sexy. Look around, most people find Krystal to be an interesting addition or are meh about her. On top of that when's the last time we had someone come in here and be like "damn she sexy as hell". It doesn't happen. (And even if it does, so what? You think Sakurai's going to look at that and be like "NOT IN MY SMASH! NO SEX APPEAL" (As he adds ZSS) And how old are you? Were you around Pre-Brawl days? Hmm? Were you there? I was. Albiet young. Yeah, there were more furries back then, but even still she had her own fans like she does now. The only people that bring this **** up are people complaining that Krystal fans act this way, or someone who's looking to bash. There's a reason this thread has this many views, and I can tell you it ain't all because people come her two rub one out or say "**** KRYSTAL". You're one of the few people in the last few pages that have brought up either of these "issues". I'd expect better from you and that's the only reason I'm so annoyed by what you've posted.

I also find it funny that people sit here and talk about popularity when I'm the only one actually going around and putting numbers where my mouth is. Krystal is popular. She's definitely one of the top contenders in terms of popularity. She also has a fanbase that isn't based off of her rule 34 catalog. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Really, it doesn't. There are just some people who REALLY don't like her and make it seem that way. She's quite popular, and to say her HATE base rivals that, is.. a stretch.
Eh. I can admit that. Bit of a stretch.

Really? REALLY? You're going to pull THAT card. Dude, no one even talks about her being sexy. You sound so ignorant right now. Like you're closing your eyes and just saying things. Look around, most people find Krystal to be an interesting addition or are meh about her. On top of that when's the last time we had someone come in here and be like "damn she sexy as hell". It doesn't happen. (And even if it does, so what? You think Sakurai's going to look at that and be like "NOT IN MY SMASH! NO SEX APPEAL" (As he adds ZSS)
Woah there!

I said it was a stereotype, not the truth.

Calm yo **** girl. No need to get this uptight. I'm just trying to help.

Were you around Pre-Brawl days? Hmm? Were you there? I was.
I was too.

Krystal's and Gardevoir's fanbase had REALLY nasty stereotypes, especially back then.

Albiet young. Yeah, there were more furries back then, but even still she had her own fans like she does now. The only people that bring this **** up are people complaining that Krystal fans act this way, or someone who's looking to bash.
I agree.

But it'd be nice if we can take away that ammunition, wouldn't it?

There's a reason this thread has this many views, and I can tell you it ain't all because people come her two rub one out or say "**** KRYSTAL".
To be honest, I think it's because of drama, like Ridley's thread.

Not to say that she doesn't have support. She certainly does, and I never stated otherwise.

I'd expect better from you and that's the only reason I'm so annoyed by what you've posted.
I'll take that as a compliment.

I also find it funny that people sit here and talk about popularity when I'm the only one actually going around and putting numbers where my mouth is. Krystal is popular. She's definitely one of the top contenders in terms of popularity. She also has a fanbase that isn't based off of her rule 34 catalog. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.
I never denied that.

Shortie. I don't think Krystal supports are rabid furries or anything of the sort.

I just think that doing something to combat that stereotype would help her support.

That's all I was trying to say.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
>Acting as if we aren't already disproving this
>implying we need to start doing something we're all already doing

Top Bottom