• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Daisy for SSBB

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Everyone keep in mind that this is a game for Nintendo's all stars. So a character that doesn't have much significance other than spin-off games doesn't have much of a chance.

let's keep Daisy as an alternate costume.
Dude, if Super Smash Bros. is for all stars then how was Ice Climbers and G&W considered all stars before Melee? hmmm? And for presents sake how is Pit considered an all star? Sure they are Nintendo and all but all star? Not to mention Snake who isnt a nintendo all star. Also, with other 3rd party characters having the possibility of getting in Brawl they are also not nintendo all stars.

Some of us want to see Princess Daisy in action. An alternate costume on Peach was pretty great but it isn't the same as the actual character.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Eh, with the addition of 3rd party characters it is true that they're not all Nintendo. But I consider Ice Climbers, Pit, and G + W all stars. They are retro characters, but they still left a big impact. Daisy... not really...

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Can you enlighten us on the big impact that the retro characters have done (besides SSBM obviously)? The execption of G&W cuz I am sure everyone know his big contribution. Princess Daisy is a retro character only that she was revived a long while ago. So she is retro but not... if that makes sense...

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Kid Icarus is a legendary game. Nintendo Power was always talking about how much they wanted a sequel, who cool it was, etc.

Ice climbers I don't know much about, but I know it was popular.

Daisy is a minor character in the Mario series... I think Toad, Geno, and Bowser Jr. deserve the spot more....

Daisy, like Waluigi, hasn't had any major roles recently...

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
They might not be All-Stars, but they were Stars.

EVERY character in Melee with the exception of the pokemon was a MAJOR character in the game or series they were in (and the pokemon had to be an exception for obvious reasons. There's practically no such thing as a major character pokemon in the Pokemon games... for the most part, of course)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Daisy's more of a seventh or eighth-string tagalong than an "all-star".

But I will say that Ice Climber's game was not only unpopular, but none too fun. Whatever you do, do not download it on the Virtual Console.

So I still have no clue how they got in there, other than the fact that well, noone knew about them, and I think it was Kazuki Morita's first game (the main programmer on Super Mario Bros.), and they were a darn unique character.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
Kid Icarus is a legendary game. Nintendo Power was always talking about how much they wanted a sequel, who cool it was, etc.

Ice climbers I don't know much about, but I know it was popular.

Daisy is a minor character in the Mario series... I think Toad, Geno, and Bowser Jr. deserve the spot more....

Why the hell do you keep comparing daisy's chances to geno? Geno is third party so what he is running against is the third party section of the roster. Daisy is owned by nintendo so she runs against nintendo characters. It's dumb and pointless how everyone keeps comparing characters from two different sections.

Toad has been nothing but minor all his nintendo life. When he had his leading role in wario woods he was still a simple shield for princess peach in melee. After that he just continued his minor role streak without changing very much at all. I don't see how his chances got any higher since last time since he went through almost no change in looks or roles.

I can see Bowser jouinor in there but I don't think he should be in over daisy. He isn't really much of a priority in my eyes but I don't know what sakurai thinks so I can't throw him out.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
Can you enlighten us on the big impact that the retro characters have done (besides SSBM obviously)? The execption of G&W cuz I am sure everyone know his big contribution. Princess Daisy is a retro character only that she was revived a long while ago. So she is retro but not... if that makes sense...
Don't forget about marth and roy whos main reason for being in was for advertisement and the games weren't even that good by what I hear. Also dr. mario, who thought importance ment a good song? This tells me that sakurai is nothing but surprises so you can't expect the obvious. This even proves that the creator puts in what sparks his interest and what he prefers, but we don't know what he prefers so we really can't say much without being bias

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mr.Talk said:
Why the hell do you keep comparing daisy's chances to geno? Geno is third party so what he is running against is the third party section of the roster. Daisy is owned by nintendo so she runs against nintendo characters. It's dumb and pointless how everyone keeps comparing characters from two different sections.
I'm with you there. I think they compare them because they were both from Mario "spin-off" games, not that Super Mario Land (in Daisy's case) should be considered a "spin-off".

Mr.Talk said:
Toad has been nothing but minor all his nintendo life. When he had his leading role in wario woods he was still a simple shield for princess peach in melee. After that he just continued his minor role streak without changing very much at all. I don't see how his chances got any higher since last time since he went through almost no change in looks or roles.
Yeah, Toad doesn't deserve any consideration for inclusion.

Mr.Talk said:
I can see Bowser jouinor in there but I don't think he should be in over daisy. He isn't really much of a priority in my eyes but I don't know what sakurai thinks so I can't throw him out.
Yeah, he should be in before Daisy. His role in Sunshine was great, much greater than anything Daisy's ever had a hand in, at least. A landmark moment in Mario history where we finally realized what the whole series was based on...

...beastiality.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Any major roles recently... I unfortunately would agree to some extent but only recently. Though don't compare her to Waluigi because unlike him she had a game where she particated as a pretty big role (SML). She was around longer than Waluigi. Just take a look at there trophies.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Where did Waluigi come from anyway? It seems as though he was a born a filler/ minor character and has stayed in filler mode since birth.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But I will say that Ice Climber's game was not only unpopular, but none too fun. Whatever you do, do not download it on the Virtual Console.

So I still have no clue how they got in there, other than the fact that well, noone knew about them, and I think it was Kazuki Morita's first game (the main programmer on Super Mario Bros.), and they were a darn unique character.
Ice Climbers was a awsome and challenging game. I don't know wat your talking about, I love that game=a pure epic classic. I say download it if you get the chance, it owns, ann Ice Climbers was released about the same time Super Mario Bros.

Despite being one of the first NES games, Ice Climbers got a back seat because well Super Mario Bros is best selling game of all time. Also they helped revolutionize the gaming industry as SMB backup for a while, but were long since forgotten until SSBM.

Back on topic, Luigi was created just so Mario could have a partner in Mario Bros not of the same color, to stop confusion of who is which character. Bowser was made to take Donkey Kong's place as Mario's enemy in Super Mario Bros., but Wart was the villian in SMB 2, and in SMB 3 Bowser was brought back because of his popularity from the SMB 1.

Wario was just made to be sort of a rival for Mario that had basically the same skills, and look how he turned out. If Waluigi and Daisy are given some light and more individuality, they could very well be possible for any future SSB games.

They just need to stop being in only games were thye are jsut another same old same character, and actually be in a major title where they play big roles. Looking how small Wario was to start, and how big he is now.

I think in time Daisy and Waluigi could become as big as Wario is now if Nintendo stops to give them their own games, or make them more individual characeters, instead of Wario/Luigi and Peach copies.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Things should not be judged on what they have done recently......That would scratch out Geno, Mallow, and Toad. Sure Geno made one cameo, but

Birdo appeared again as a Minor Villain
Bowser Jr. became villain, replacing his father (somewhat)
Daisy and Waluigi became Regulars in the Spin Offs.

^ These people have at least done that.

The way I see it, Mario characters should be added by pattern.

NEW Hero: Geno
NEW Damsel: Daisy or Pauline
NEW Sidekick: Toad
NEW Villain: Bowser Jr.

I see that fair enough. and they all have their own special individualities to be way different and unique.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ice Climbers was a awsome and challenging game. I don't know wat your talking about, I love that game=a pure epic classic. I say download it if you get the chance, it owns, ann Ice Climbers was released about the same time Super Mario Bros.

Despite being one of the first NES games, Ice Climbers got a back seat because well Super Mario Bros is best selling game of all time.

I think in time Daisy and Waluigi could become as big as Wario is now if Nintendo stops to give them their own games, or make them more individual characeters, instead of Wario/Luigi and Peach copies.
Well, I still don't like the game, but whatever.

But Nintendo hasn't seen fit to extrapolate Daisy and/or Waluigi as characters, so with that I say again: Daisy doesn't deserve a whole moveset.

Also, I think it's SMB3 that's the top-seller of all time.

y3nia659 said:
Things should not be judged on what they have done recently......That would scratch out Geno, Mallow, and Toad. Sure Geno made one cameo, but

Now let's get something clear: I don't think anyone from Super Mario RPG will make it into Brawl. But that's for a different thread.

Now with that in mind, I don't care about Geno or Mallow. Toad won't make it because he never does squat. Saying they won't get in isn't very compelling. Another thing that isn't very compelling is saying that Daisy's a regular in Mario Sports titles. I don't expect to see any representation from them in Brawl.

...Although, it might actually be cool to have Daisy included as a Mario Sports character...something to think about, I guess.

Pauline? The girl from Donkey Kong, who does NOTHING BUT STAND STILL!? What!?

Black/Light

Smash Master

I see that fair enough. and they all have their own special individualities to be way different and unique.
. . . IDK, Daisy seems to be known more as the "tom-boy" than the Damsel.

If anything I think it should be like this. . . .
Mario/ Luigi/ Peach/ Browser/ Toad=ALL staple characters for the main series/ games. (Main characters)

Daisy=Sports spin off series "rep"(Her moves would be sports centered. Strikers charged ball projectile, Hooper's ball spike, tennis racket smacks etc)
and either Geno as the RPG rep (cause everyone likes the **** thing for some reason. . . I don't see him getting in) or Browser Jr as a new villian.

and I still think Daisy should have on her sports gear to better ID what she reps. She isn't as girly as Peach and she is seen mostly in sports gear anyway. . .better serperates the 2 to make them have different out-fits IMO.

(What I think she will wear)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yeah that's what I was getting at. I could see that happening, maybe. And I'm glad someone besides me doesn't support Geno.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, I still don't like the game, but whatever.

But Nintendo hasn't seen fit to extrapolate Daisy and/or Waluigi as characters, so with that I say again: Daisy doesn't deserve a whole moveset.

Also, I think it's SMB3 that's the top-seller of all time.
You are correct that SMB 3 is the best-selling game of all time, but SMB on the sharded game cartrige (ie: SMB 1 and Duck Hunt) makes the number of SMB sells rise to 40 million units. SMB 1 is actually in The Guinness Book of World Records as the #1 selling game of all time. So basically you are right and I am right in that sense.

I agree with you that Waluiugi and Daisy haven't been tied into the series as much as they should and probably will be, but I have to disagree with you they don't deserve movesets. I could sorta see Daisy's moveset, but Waluigi's I couldn't really see. They need more individuality and bigger roles in the Mario series, and then maybe I could see a full moveset for both of them.

Geno I could see, but that is another story (go Geno!), and another thread.

Pauline has no chance in hell, unless in like a course much like G&W's, but rather it would be the game Donkey kong with her in the background as a non-playable character or something like that.

Toad has some chance, but nothing really big to come even close. As much as I like Toad I don't see anything happening for him like making a SSBB as a playable character, but has a extremely hight chance of making a appearance as a non-playable character. Sure you could use the whole he was playable in SMB2, but really there are far more popular Mario characters!

Bowseer Jr. raises questioning, and has a decent chance, and probably will just miss out on making it into SSBB. He stands a better chance then a lot of the stupid and unlikely characters I have seen recently, and if (I doubt this will be the case in SSBB, just trying to prove a point) SSBB had like 60 character slots, he'd be in it. But since I MO the number will be in the low 40's, I don't see him happening, but you never are 100% sure.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
If Geno's to make his triumphant comeback, it should be in a Mario game, not Brawl. Sure, Brawl is HUGE, but dammit, so is friggin' MARIO (who's even huger than Brawl, IMHO).

Yet for some reason everyone wants Geno to make his comeback in Brawl, instead. Hmm... perhaps it is because they feel in their hearts that it is impossible for Geno to appear anywhere else due to that whole Squaresoft ownership thing (whereas Brawl now can have some third party chars.) ...mweh, I'll stop here since this isn't the Geno thread.

On that note, if Daisy is to be her own character unique from Peach, I also think she too should make her big debut in a MARIO game (...or a Peach game or her own game or some game that's actually "canon", which Brawl is NOT). Therefore, as a Daisy fan, I support Daisy NOT getting into Brawl as a unique character because she deserves better than that if she's going to hit the big times of uniqueness. (although I do support her getting in as a clone or a costume change preferably with voice).

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I think Pauline has done a lot for both Mario and DK, it is just that people underestimate her a whole lot. I personally think there should be at least a trophy for Pauline in Brawl. I mean Peach grew and she was nothing but a Damsel-in-distress at the beginning.

Im also against Geno,

Back on subject: Daisy does have it going for her. She's fairly popular, became a regular in the spin offs, was important once, more than one cameo appearance. Represents Mario's life outside of Mushroom Kingdom.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Mario was a clone. Although of course, Daisy being a Peach clone isn't exactly that much of a stretch either :p

y3nia659

Smash Ace
which that series is just a mario spin off. Spin Offs are taken in account.

I can prove it:
IN MELEE:
Dr. Mario, some of Peach's move.

IN BRAWL:
Mario Kart Stage pretty much proves they are taken as important.

Now that Daisy's a regular, and is proved her own unique personality. I can't see why not.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Dr. Mario was a clone. Although of course, Daisy being a Peach clone isn't exactly that much of a stretch either :p
Heh-heh, yeah I know he was a clone but the character himself and the series he is on I conseder spin-offs. :)

What the hell is Daisy a princess of, anyway?
:urg: Goes to show how much about Princess Daisy you might know but I don't really mean that in a bad way... much... I guess :ohwell:. Like rm88 said and Tiamat ment to say, she is the Princess of Sarasaland. Hey, your new to this thread what is your opinion? Sounds like you might mean no in the fact of how you stated the question. :( If you don't know much about someone don't criticize until you know the person. In this case, a video game character.

Back on topic, I hope she is a playable character. I mean, back when Smash came out the fact that Daisy was a costume change for Peach was understandable because of the slight few differences. Those were her hair color, skin color and dress. They didn't really require much change for that costume on Peach. Now, Princess Daisy has a different head shape not to mention hair shape. They might change Peaches hair shape and color (but not skin color since Daisy's skin has become almost as light toned as Peach) to make a costume as Daisy. But change the head shape of Peach? That would totally remake her to the fact that it would be more easier to make Daisy a playable character. I mean, if they go to the trouble to make Daisy a costume change for Peach with all the different attributes then why not make Daisy herself a character?

Though, I don't get where people might get the idea of her having a pot belly or something :chuckle:. If she does have one, wow, that is one small pot belly!

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I agree, back then she did not have a well put personality...Now she does. There is no reason whatsoever to deny her to be in this game. It takes only one game and a major role to be an all-star. She's been one, even though her personality is what kept her beehind back then, now there should be no excuse.

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
The love for Daisy in this thread is great. I can only hope for her to make but only time will tell.

The Director

Smash Lord
:urg: Goes to show how much about Princess Daisy you might know but I don't really mean that in a bad way... much... I guess :ohwell:. Like rm88 said and Tiamat ment to say, she is the Princess of Sarasaland. Hey, your new to this thread what is your opinion? Sounds like you might mean no in the fact of how you stated the question. :( If you don't know much about someone don't criticize until you know the person. In this case, a video game character.
I think it just goes to show that Daisy is not, and will never be as popular as Peach. She's kind of Peach Mark 2.

I still think she's going to be added to Brawl though, and that's good! Smash needs more chick characters.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I agree, back then she did not have a well put personality...Now she does. There is no reason whatsoever to deny her to be in this game. It takes only one game and a major role to be an all-star. She's been one, even though her personality is what kept her beehind back then, now there should be no excuse.
Somehow I don't think whether or not a character has a personality that's different compared to someone else will be one of the deciding factors for their inclusion in Brawl.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I don't remember if I've posted my two cents in this thread before, and I don't have the time to spend back-checking 27 pages.

Daisy is a terrible idea for Smash Bros. Honestly, there is absolutely no reason why, in a game already oversaturated with Mario characters, they should waste yet another valuable character slot on a brunnette version of a character who is (most likely) already in the game. Daisy is in the same boat as other insignificant filler characters like Waluigi and Toadette. They are made to fill up character slots in party and sports games, so that everybody can play a different character without being the same one every time. I fail to see how that denotes the status of being an 'all-star.' The only difference there is that Waluigi and Toadette are actually physically different than their counterparts, making them at least somewhat more acceptable, whereas Daisy is, for all intents and purposes, Peach with a dye job and a new dress.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Bowserlick said:
1. Is the character famous enough? Renown? Will a majority or even half of players know who the character is?
2. How flavorful is the character? Will it offer new ideas and new movesets and add cretaivity and originality to the game?
3. How feasible is the character? Would it work mechanically?
Straight from the Negative Nancy sticky.

1. No. Daisy's not well-known enough for over half of Brawl purchasers to immediately go: "Oh, it's Daisy!"

2. No. Complete failure. Exactly the same as Peach, with a slightly more active attitude. The only way around this is if they based her off of Mario Sports.

3. Yes. It'd work, but again, unless they use MS as material, she'd be very redundant.

Top Bottom