• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Daisy for SSBB

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Well in responce to Tiamat, it was a really long time ago since I first read of that (about summer of '06). Still I took the time to search for where I first read of it. You can decide after you see it if its fake or not but I think its legit. Here it is;

"Some of the biggest news for the game has been revealed, as Sakurai has said that some characters from Melee will NOT be returning, “Definitely.” Which characters will be removed, and what process will be used for deciding which characters have a chance of staying in? Your guess is as good as anyone’s. My guess is that several of the clones will be getting the ax, for just being too similar to their counterparts (Pichu comes to mind). That said, I don’t think all of the clones will be removed, but rather, some of them will be remade (as mentioned earlier) to make them a completely, or at least mostly, different character, in the way that Luigi was changed in Melee to not be a clone of Mario as he was in Smash 64, despite them still having a couple of similar moves. Sakurai has said that, “on a significant scale,” the characters from Melee will be remade, so don’t lost hope for Falco of Ganondorf just yet."

These are things that he has stated in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Dojo site and have been translated if I am not mistaken.
And here is the link
http://smashbrawl.com/2006/06/

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Um... read what you posted.

NO WHERE in what you posted does SAKURAI HIMSELF state "there will be no clones in Brawl." Hell, THE GUY DOESN'T EVEN HINT AT IT.

At MOST, he says "Some characters won't be returning". Did he say those characters were clones? Did he say that he hated clones? Did he say that there won't be any clones in Brawl?

Absolutely not.

All you have there is some random (and I can't stress the word "random" enough here) person who is NOT Sakurai saying "I guess there won't be any clones". And it's a guess where this random person doesn't even present any ACTUAL quotes to back up his guess!

Also, note that the ONLY part where Sakurai said that characters would be remade that comes from Sakurai himself is the "On a significant scale" quote (IE, the part in quotation marks). The idea that the characters being remade will be the clones is again speculation by this random (RANDOM) person that you are quoting. I specifically remember when Samurai Panda (who actually CAN read Japanese, unlike this poster who's really just quoting what Samurai Panda translated without giving Samurai Panda any credit) posted Sakurai's quotes on this matter that are being referenced, and all Sakurai said was that characters would be remade. He did not say clones would be remade. He did not say that it was the clones that would not make it.

He said CHARACTERS would be remade and some CHARACTERS would not make it. And I wish people would stop taking something as fact based on what this random (RANDOM) no-credit-to-Samurai-Panda person posted which was all his guess (that he disclaimed, "Your guess is as good as mine", anyways)

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
hmmm... yeah I see where you coming at. As I was reading it myself for the first time since that summer it got me to thinking too. It's pretty vague on the info and it is this guys prediction. Still we can't still rule out that possiblility but yeah. The weird thing is I did a google search on Masahiro Sakurai with clones in quotes and I got some websights that said that Sakurai confirmed it. Stupid thing is is that what you see isnt what you get. In other words you see it says he confirmed it but when you go to the sight you dont see it. Oh well.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Most of those sites are probably just parroting the stupid rumour as opposed to confirming it themselves, anyways. I must have seen at least 5 different sights that ripped off of Samurai Panda's translations (without giving credit) and then thrown in speculation of their own. *******es.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If they had clones, Daisy would be the clone for peach
If Sakurai tried he could make her a original. She would probably be heavier then Peach and have stronger attacks, and is completely diffrent. She doesn't have the best of chances, but hey I would enjoy Brawl a lot more if Daisy was in it.

The only exceptions is if she would be a clone, as well as anyone else, I would rather have a original. If Sakurai adds her to his list of characters, he has to come up with a pure original moveset, with few moves that are like Peach before her.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Games she has been in:
Super Mario Land
Mario Tennis
NES open Golf Tournament
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart DS
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Golf: Toadstool tour
Mario Party 3
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Smash Football (Super Mario Strikers)
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Look at all those filler spots she's had. Looks like she's not important at all. No to mention she's physically the same as Peach. Nothing note-worthy about Peach at all. I don't know how she even has a fanbase, she's just a over tanned Peach.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how she even has a fanbase, she's just a over tanned Peach.
It's hard for some people to understand (particularly non-casual gamers who manage to find the time and energy to post about what characters will be in Brawl in a forum) but when it comes to Mario, not being filler is overrated.

After all, when there are 234892701578901 filler Mario games, then being a filler Mario character isn't so bad. You'll still get a absolute BOATLOAD of exposure and lots of mass exposure makes it easy to garner up a fanbase.

The "hardcore" (again, people who go to internet forums to post about this crap) might dislike the whole principle of a filler character, but the casual player who just sits back and enjoys Mario Kart and Mario Party games for the fun and doesn't feel the urge to leap onto a forum to debate every minuite symbolism about everything regarding a game couldn't give any less of a **** whether a character is filler or not.

And this is why Daisy and Waluigi are able to build up fanbases despite not having major roles in any "non filler" Mario game. After all, at least I've ever been able to play as Daisy and Waluigi before. That's more than I can say about Dark Samus, Ridley, or Skull Kid. And at least I can be 100% certain (100%!) that I'll be able to play as Daisy or Waluigi again someday, which is more than I can say about Geno, Fierce Diety Link, or Lucas (note: This is in regards to filler characters being able to rack up sizeable fanbases despite being just "filler", not characters' chances for Brawl. I don't think Daisy or Waluigi have particularly good chances for Brawl)

In a (Mario) world filled with filler games, the life of a filler character is a pretty darn good one. If game characters were actors, getting a gig as a filler Mario character would probably be one of the best things you could ask for (short of being one of the big Mario characters like Mario or Peach etc, themselves). A lifetime of exposure (and job security) is usually better than 15 minutes of fame, at least from a casual non-principled ("So and so doesn't deserve to be in Brawl!") standpoint.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I have tried and tried tons of times to think up and defend Daisy from a few of her haters and really Tiamat and MikeKirby, im very impressed with both of your responses. This forum seems to have very smart people in it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Who's hating? She's a filler, don't deny it. Besides, the Mushroom Kingdom has, what, 4 [5 if doc counts] representatives now? That's a lot for one franchise, let the others get their share.

Maybe I wouldn't be so against it if she wasn't just a perfect candidate for a Peach clone, there's nothing note-worthy about Daisy. Nothing. At least Ridley and Dark Samus are villians in there franchise, what's Daisy? A tanned Peach, no story, character [other than trying to get Mario or something, but she hasn't been in a proper role since forever, if ever].

I'd comment about Skull Kid but I have no clue who that is, but I doubt he is a skeletal verison of Link, he is probably a lot more different compared to Link than Peach-Daisy.

Again, Geno isn't a look alike of some character like Daisy is either, he's original, Lucas is the same as Ness as far as I know, I don't know anything about Fierce Diety Link, but I guess he's a suped up Link. He's not original either, he's more original compared to Link than Peach is to Daisy and that's what matters most.

Black/Light

Smash Master
As long as she is in something like this. . .

Than I fully support her repping the sports spin offs (Peach has her own game now so her move-set should reflict that game leaving Daisy open to have Strikers, Tennis and hoops moves).

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Who's hating? She's a filler, don't deny it. Besides, the Mushroom Kingdom has, what, 4 [5 if doc counts] representatives now? That's a lot for one franchise, let the others get their share.

Maybe I wouldn't be so against it if she wasn't just a perfect candidate for a Peach clone, there's nothing note-worthy about Daisy. Nothing. At least Ridley and Dark Samus are villians in there franchise, what's Daisy? A tanned Peach, no story, character [other than trying to get Mario or something, but she hasn't been in a proper role since forever, if ever].

I'd comment about Skull Kid but I have no clue who that is, but I doubt he is a skeletal verison of Link, he is probably a lot more different compared to Link than Peach-Daisy.

Again, Geno isn't a look alike of some character like Daisy is either, he's original, Lucas is the same as Ness as far as I know, I don't know anything about Fierce Diety Link, but I guess he's a suped up Link. He's not original either, he's more original compared to Link than Peach is to Daisy and that's what matters most.
Hmm... I'd like to think you were replying to my post, given your bring up of Skull Kid, Geno, and Fierce Diety Link, etc, but there is so much in your post that shows that you obviously didn't read mine, such as the fact that you completely missed the part where I said my post was describing why Daisy was able to get a fanbase, NOT her chances for getting into Brawl and NOT whether or not she was filler, so I'm just going to assume you're babbling nonsense to yourself for the heck of it.

It's obvious that you wouldn't understand anyways, since you keep on saying Daisy has no character. While it is true that she generally has no story (besides a little barebones stuff), personality is a different matter entirely. This shows that you don't actually play any of the games she's in (as the majority of Daisy's personality comes from things that you can't get from just reading about her on the internet. Win Poses and Voice and motions and many other things can display personality a lot more than just being a pompous internet critic who thinks he knows everything ever can) and thus makes your point null and void.

What's also really pathetic is that you can't even get Daisy's storyline right (another blatant indication that you've never actually played any of the games she's in). Going after Mario? Sheez, Nintendo couldn't make it anymore obvious who she's coupled with these days.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wasn't responding to your post, I was responding to the person before me, I used characters from your post as examples.

Anyway, personality doesn't matter [that's why ICs, Pit and G&W got in]. The point is if you erase Diasy from the Mario series nothing will happen, you might lose one game but that's it. There are many Mario games out there and hardly any of them have anything to do with Daisy.

What game besides a bunch of sports games was she in anyway, only Super Mario Land? Super Mario Land must be pretty old because I don't even remember it. What was her role in it?

The point is, Mario series has enough people representing already. If I recall correctly the top half of the selection screen in SSBM was made of Mario characters or characters featured in Mario games [Yoshi, DK included].

It's no wonder some people call Super Smash Bros. 'super Mario Bros.'

GenG

Smash Lord
Daisy should be exploited more. She was created to get a damsel in distress for the Super Mario Land games, but then Wario hijacked the series in the second installment (making it better and different I may say). And that finished her job for good.
However, she need more prominent roles. There are more kingdoms in the Mario universe other than Mushroom, and Daisy is the ruler of one of them (Sarasaland, Flower Kingdom). EAD won't likely do this, that's a job for IS and their batch of good writers.

It would be lame to have 3 or 4 Mario characters in Brawl with Party-Strikers-Kart moves.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Your right GenG. It has come to my mind more than once that with the fact that she is a ruler of her own kingdom which consist of smaller kingdoms (about 3 I am sure) that some kind of storyline would emerge from there... but, oh well.

Saying Peach and Daisy are the same is kind of like saying that Mario and Luigi are the same in some aspect. If you were to forget their abilities prior to SSB you would say they are the same. The only differences would be that one is chubby, one is skinny, one is short, one is tall and they were different colors. If I were to say they are the same now I would get bashed and be argued on how different they are (now). I would be told how different they are personality wise, abilities and yadda yadda. Now, they may not look totally different but Princess Daisy and Princess Peach have their differences. One example being how Peach being more girly giving slaps and Princess Peach, being the Tomboyish type, giving punches. Yes yes, I know that has been said before and is cliché but its true. The point is, the things that make them different even if its little still give then different techniques. It might be argued how she hasn’t done anything to base her moves. The same arguement can be brought up that it is a good opportunity for her moveset to be broad and unique even if some are scarcely based on her sports appearances.

Oh, and Red Exodus, not to bash you or anything but "Super Smash Bros." "Super Mario Bros." are two different games and titles. I know, what you mean in a way but I never heard anyone say that. Maybe mistakenly say it since it is only one word change from one title to another. I can understand a mistake but what exactly did you mean by that?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Oh, and Red Exodus, not to bash you or anything but "Super Smash Bros." "Super Mario Bros." are two different games and titles. I know, what you mean in a way but I never heard anyone say that. Maybe mistakenly say it since it is only one word change from one title to another. I can understand a mistake but what exactly did you mean by that?
I mean people that see Mario along with a bunch of his buddies in the game assume it's a Mario game like Mario golf or Mario Kart.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Daisy can represent Mario Land, to prove that Mario is not only existant in Mushroom Kingdom. Her moves can be based on Spin Off games, since many of Peach's moves were. Now im sure Peach can have new moves from her own game, this means that if Daisy gets moves from Spin Off games....they would be even more different than ever. Another thing is Geno should come in to represent a first vital game that made differences on Mario's games.

BUT Daisy's game also made vital differences in Mario's game (different generic enemies, that after Super Mario 64 we start getting different kinds other than Goombas, etc)
Another vital thing her game did was that it was the first real Mario game to ever be on a gameboy (portable) system....

Oh yeah! The game was the one to do this, not Daisy....but think about it....Geno's game was the one that was succesful, not Geno himself...he was liked for being in it, but he was not the main reason it succedeed....

So in order to thank these games/ series Sakurai can add a rep. from each...seeing as how Wario is gone representing WarioWare...Daisy is the only choice left, and a good one at that. Obviously either Geno or Mallow being the rep. for the wonderful unique and only one Mario RPG game, to feature two important characters other than Peach, bowser, and Mario.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Oh yea and I forgot Super Mario Land comes in third place of being the best selling Mario games in it's history at 18 million copies sold.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I'd like for the next Mario & Luigi game to be Mario & Luigi: Peach & Daisy, but I'm not holding my breath. It's too bad that Nintendo doesn't make use of the "filler" mario characters in the non-filler mario games (be it Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, or any of the platformers from Mario Galaxy to New Super Mario Bros. to Super Princess Peach). I don't know why they don't. Is there someone at Nintendo in charge of the non-filler games that just REALLY hates Waluigi and Daisy and decrees that they shouldn't appear in non-filler games at ALL? You'd think Waluigi could have at least made a cameo in the latest Wario Ware game (those Waluigi's in that game are actualy just tall Wario's, it seems) or Wario: Master of Disguise.

It actually took a really REALLY long time for Wario to start showing up in non-filler Mario games besides Mario Land 2, too (besides his own Wario Land games), but at least he does every once in a while (Yoshi's Island DS and Mario 64 DS)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
They already made a Peach game so that could be a gateway for Daisy to get some action with Peach, the same way it used to happen with Mario and Luigi. I played a few minutes of the Peach game and it was actually fun, I'll have to play it more to make a more firm decision but it looks like something I'd like to have in my library.

As far Waluigi, well... that's a tough one...

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
They already made a Peach game so that could be a gateway for Daisy to get some action with Peach, the same way it used to happen with Mario and Luigi. I played a few minutes of the Peach game and it was actually fun, I'll have to play it more to make a more firm decision but it looks like something I'd like to have in my library.

As far Waluigi, well... that's a tough one...

They could have had Daisy or Waluigi in a ton of different games, from Wario Ware to Mario & Luigi. They just don't for whatever reason. And I wish I knew what that reason was. I mean, it's not like there's any technical programming barrier to having Daisy or Waluigi show up in an RPG like Mario & Luigi or Waluigi being in some of the mini-games in Wario Ware. And there obviously aren't any storyline barriers (not that Mario has storyline barriers, anyways). There aren't any legal barriers since they are fully Nintendowned. And it's not like Nintendo doesn't remember they exist since they continue to show up in the various "filler" games. So WHY does Nintendo not use them in any of the non-filler games EVER, if even only as a cameo or an npc? What's the reason? It's just odd.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Could it be that people just don't like Waluigi and/or Daisy? Both were added to fill up spaces in Mario sports titles, and 99.9% of smart people can see that there's really nothing to them.

...As of now. If they made a Daisy game, or a Waluigi game, I'm sure they'd expand on the characters. But they won't, because nobody likes them enough. Especially not enough to give either a precious, precious spot in Brawl.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
Could it be that people just don't like Waluigi and/or Daisy? Both were added to fill up spaces in Mario sports titles, and 99.9% of smart people can see that there's really nothing to them.

All I see is you being a snob that think he/she is smarter because they disagree on another persons thoughts. That really lacks in logic

...As of now. If they made a Daisy game, or a Waluigi game, I'm sure they'd expand on the characters. But they won't, because nobody likes them enough. Especially not enough to give either a precious, precious spot in Brawl.
LOL that was funny. Since the creator of the game didn't say anything stated above I don't see how you cn call them facts. OH yeah Daisy was created by Gunpei Yokoi who also created Mr.G&W. But since you just blab about anything and call them true out of ignorance I don't expect you to actually listen to anyone

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Right on, Mr. Talk! Gosh, Chief Mendez, your statement is way to opinionative. All your saying is that you hate Waluigi and Princess Daisy. And don't tell me you don't like Daisy because she annoys you. What no like spunky? Hey, even if they are fillers someone has to start somewhere.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The more I come to this thread, the less I hate/the more I like, Daisy.

I'm being mindgame'd :urg:

EDIT: Don't refer to my previous posts, I retract those statements.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, you got me on the creation bit. But that doesn't cover Waluigi.

Anyway, I'm opinionated on this topic as much as I am because the idea of Daisy edging into the limited roster is just absurd, as I see it.

...And didn't Yokoi also create exploding koopas, the Virtual Boy, and plagiarize classical music in a Mario game? That was a joke.

We've already got Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Wario...are you guys really so desperate for a "spunky" Peach?

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Spunky Peach? First off Daisy= Peach is invalid...Unlike PEach, Daisy was not even kidnapped by the same guy, she didn't even have servants being kidnapped with her (notice Toad and Peach always get kidnapped), her physical differences, and a whole different Kingdom....From that logic I can say Geno = Luigi, because Geno was just another sidekick...

Or if you are one of those people who say Geno was the main character, thats even better to say Geno=Mario....Geno is just another hero, no need for him if you see it that way...

but he should be there to represent the first Mario RPG game....

This also applies to Daisy, she should be there because she can represent Mario Land and fair enough represent the Spin Offs seeing how she is an existing member canon wise.

everyone is wanting a character or too, so in a way yes Im desperate to see Daisy in her own character box as herself, but you are also desperate to see whoever you want in.

Don't go on saying the spin offs are already represented in brawl (Stage, moves) because taking it from that view (as well) the Mario RPG was represented, at least by a single item....Peach's frying pan. (melee)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, but...wasn't Geno a haunted muppet or something?

Peach might as well equal Daisy: both are princesses from Mario games, both are unintelligent, both wear nigh identical outfits, both never do much of anything when not being stereotypical (see: Super Princess Peach) or playing sports for no reason, and both are named after flowers...well, flora.

"But Mendez, Peach has mutated mushroom servants and Daisy doesn't! They were captured by different villains, even!"

What's that got to do with anything!? I can maybe see the "different series" (I'll get to that) argument, but come ON.

I'm aware SML was developed sans Miyamoto, and was a different game thematically. I know it was hugely popular (it's my personal favorite videogame evar), but are you seriously tring to tell me that:

>"OH! DAISY!"
>"THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME, MARIO."
(transforms into bug, hops away)

...is worth representing? The reason SML is so awesome has zip to do with plot.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
(Wii's browser lacks text space, sorry for 2X posting!)

Anyways...

Is SML really worth a whole character slot for a character who was probably made up so Yokoi wouldn't technically be messing with Shiggy's stuff, but still being so similar that consumers wouldn't notice? No.

Like I said...when those 18,000,000 people pplayed SML, they were NOT: "omg daisy=hax", they were: "ZOMG PORTBL MARIO!11".

Daisy lacked any sort of character or image back then, so if anything, she wouldn't be representing SML.

...Leave that to Tatanga.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Daisy is practically the same 3D model as Peach. The fact that you can technically play as Daisy in Melee is proof of this (although she's since then gotten a different head shape, at least, but the body shape hasn't changed). In Mario Kart Double Dash and in the Mario Party games, the majority of her animations are variation's of Peach's with only slight differences such as her hand palm being closed while Peach's are open, etc etc (I haven't analyzed Daisy's animations compared to Peach in other games, though). These are the type of animation differences that clones in Smash have to their counterparts which aren't enough to make them... well, not clones. If there was ever a character suited to be a clone of another, it's really Daisy to Peach. Since that's what Daisy IS in most games, in terms of animation.

This makes her more of a Peach clone than Luigi or Wario are to Mario (who both a VERY significantly different body shape than Mario. Daisy's bodyshape, meanwhile, is so similar to Peach's that I'm almost certain the programmers usually use the SAME body for the two in the various games)

And of course, beyond some flower specials, there really isn't any precedent for Daisy to get moves of her own, since she's only ever been in games where all the other Mario characters have the same moves as her for the most part (besides the flower specials).

Me, as a Daisy fan, I'd be happy if she got in as just a costume and voice change. She doesn't even have to be a clone with different properties for me, so long as a Daisy "skin" i available with Daisy's voice. It's 's not Daisy without the voice! That's why playing as "Daisy" in Melee is so unsatisfyingly NOT Daisy. Fortunately, I'm pretty certain she'll at least be a costume change for Peach. She was in Melee, after all. Sadly, I'm far less certain about her getting her own voice :(

(In fact, Daisy's voice is actually what REALLY differentiates her from Peach most of the time, since their body is pretty much the same. The lack of story in most Mario filler also means that most of Daisy's tomboy personality comes from her hyper crazy voice)

Of course, if Daisy does get to be her own clone character and not just a costume change, then she's generally stronger but less dexterous than Peach. The few games where the two have had significant differences, Daisy has always been the stronger one (she's actually stronger than her boyfriend, Luigi. Which makes Luigi and Daisy's relationship a funny reversed mirror of Mario's and Peach's in a way). Of course, the special effects for the attacks would probably be altered to have some flower petals thrown in.

As her own non-clone character? I find that EXTREMELY hard to imagine. Heck, NOT being a clone would actually be AGAINST Daisy's traditional portrayal since in all previous games, she's always pretty much had the same body and derived animations from Peach (just like clones in Smash have of their originals!).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
In case I didn't say it before (which I didn't), I'd be fine with a alternate Peach costume being Daisy's incarnation, and I could even maybe sort of possibly imagine her as a clone, but again...there are better things the developers could spend their time on.

An alternate costume's more likely.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
Daisy is practically the same 3D model as Peach. The fact that you can technically play as Daisy in Melee is proof of this (although she's since then gotten a different head shape, at least, but the body shape hasn't changed). So you want her to be fat:urg: In Mario Kart Double Dash and in the Mario Party games, the majority of her animations are variation's of Peach's with only slight differences such as her hand palm being closed while Peach's are open, etc etc (I haven't analyzed Daisy's animations compared to Peach in other games, though). These are the type of animation differences that clones in Smash have to their counterparts which aren't enough to make them... well, not clones. If there was ever a character suited to be a clone of another, it's really Daisy to Peach. Since that's what Daisy IS in most games, in terms of animation.

Point is Daisy is not a clone since sakurai nor any part of nintendo have ever stated this. They are both princesses so that can never change but the were princesses in other lands. Also having the same body shape does not mean their clones. That's saying that all the anime characters who have the same body shape are clones of each other. What you need to do is look at their personality and traits. Trophies in melee did a little desrcition of peach personality and daisy's personality. They were different from each other so they were different characters point blank

This makes her more of a Peach clone than Luigi or Wario are to Mario (who both a VERY significantly different body shape than Mario. Daisy's bodyshape, meanwhile, is so similar to Peach's that I'm almost certain the programmers usually use the SAME body for the two in the various games)

Again do you want her to be fat. She doesn't have to have a different body shape

And of course, beyond some flower specials, there really isn't any precedent for Daisy to get moves of her own, since she's only ever been in games where all the other Mario characters have the same moves as her for the most part (besides the flower specials).

There were quite a few flower specials and in different forms. Plus if moveset is the only thing your complaining about then I don't see how your arguement is worth much discussion since anyone can have a uniqe moveset if you just THINK

Me, as a Daisy fan, I'd be happy if she got in as just a costume and voice change. She doesn't even have to be a clone with different properties for me, so long as a Daisy "skin" i available with Daisy's voice. It's 's not Daisy without the voice! That's why playing as "Daisy" in Melee is so unsatisfyingly NOT Daisy. Fortunately, I'm pretty certain she'll at least be a costume change for Peach. She was in Melee, after all. Sadly, I'm far less certain about her getting her own voice :(

well since we don't know much about who will or will not be in brawl I say you can keep hoping for it.

(In fact, Daisy's voice is actually what REALLY differentiates her from Peach most of the time, since their body is pretty much the same. The lack of story in most Mario filler also means that most of Daisy's tomboy personality comes from her hyper crazy voice)

True but did you play the story mode in mario party three? She was struck as more beautiful since she was trying to flirt her way to a win and she punched bowser sky high in that tory as well.

Of course, if Daisy does get to be her own clone character and not just a costume change, then she's generally stronger but less dexterous than Peach. The few games where the two have had significant differences, Daisy has always been the stronger one (she's actually stronger than her boyfriend, Luigi. Which makes Luigi and Daisy's relationship a funny reversed mirror of Mario's and Peach's in a way). Of course, the special effects for the attacks would probably be altered to have some flower petals thrown in.

As her own non-clone character? I find that EXTREMELY hard to imagine. Heck, NOT being a clone would actually be AGAINST Daisy's traditional portrayal since in all previous games, she's always pretty much had the same body and derived animations from Peach (just like clones in Smash have of their originals!).
Again why would you want to change her body? I didn't know that staying skinny and fit constitutes as being a clone. There both princess and they both have the same body but pretty much everything else is different nowadays

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
An alternate costume's more likely.
Yea, I'm mainly expecting an alternate costume and not even a clone, myself. I'd find myself VERY happy if she just gets an alternate voice to go with the alternate costume (so one could at least pretend it's Daisy), although even that I'm not really expecting.

Mr. Talk said:
That's nice.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
Well just leave it at your opinion then but I high disagree that their clones just because they have the same body shape.

Mr.Talk

Smash Cadet
Yea, I'm mainly expecting an alternate costume and not even a clone, myself. I'd find myself VERY happy if she just gets an alternate voice to go with the alternate costume (so one could at least pretend it's Daisy), although even that I'm not really expecting.

That's nice.
HUH? I don't remember typing that

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mr.Talk said:
Point is Daisy is not a clone since sakurai nor any part of nintendo have ever stated this.
Some things go without saying. Por ejemplo: McDonald's food is bad for your health/Starfox Adventures was "greatly inspired" by the Zelda games/Daisy is not a part of the overcrowded main canon of Mario.

Mr.Talk said:
They are both princesses so that can never change but the were princesses in other lands. Also having the same body shape does not mean their clones. That's saying that all the anime characters who have the same body shape are clones of each other.
And while one of said kingdoms is known by mainstream rappers, the other requires a visit to Wikipedia for the vast majority of Mario fans.

Also, that's a really bad analogy; there's a whole crapload of anime (and by proxy: anime chartacters) that's so similar as to be painful. This is called an "archetype", such as the lecherous old man, the free-spirited martial artist, the shy and reserved girl who's called to action by thespunkymain hero's words of encouragement, and then there's stereotypes like the maid, the alien, the sexy alien, the robot, the giant robot, the giant combining robot, the sexy robot, etcetera. But that's besides the point. If you want to argue videogames with anime...go to a different board.

Mr.Talk said:
What you need to do is look at their personality and traits. Trophies in melee did a little desrcition of peach personality and daisy's personality. They were different from each other so they were different characters point blank
That's amazing stuff, it really and truly is, and I'm not arguing that their personalities are indeed not alike. I am saying that they are so amazingly generic in their differences that this argument carries little to no weight.

Mr.Talk said:
True but did you play the story mode in mario party three? She was struck as more beautiful since she was trying to flirt her way to a win and she punched bowser sky high in that tory as well.

Dear Lord, let us offer up our prayers that Sakurai will not resort to the Mario Party games for material in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Especially not one from the N64.

Amen.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
(Wii's browser lacks text space, sorry for 2X posting!)

Anyways...

Is SML really worth a whole character slot for a character who was probably made up so Yokoi wouldn't technically be messing with Shiggy's stuff, but still being so similar that consumers wouldn't notice? No.

Like I said...when those 18,000,000 people pplayed SML, they were NOT: "omg daisy=hax", they were: "ZOMG PORTBL MARIO!11".

Daisy lacked any sort of character or image back then, so if anything, she wouldn't be representing SML.

...Leave that to Tatanga.
Actually she does have an image, say it or not she is the ruler of her own kindgom and this game took out of place from Mushroom kingdom so she has more to represent than just her game series.

Tatanga can take that spot, but he'll be rivaling with the next villain trying to get in in his spot (Bowser Jr,.)

As for the people who bought the game SML, you're right....they did not just buy it because of Daisy, but the Mario RPG was not bought because "OMG! GENO IS IN THIS GAME!" it was bought because of truly Mario.

Having moveset solely made from Spin offs is really not as bas as you think. peach had some in her moveset, and if she'll have some more or a different moveset just because of her game, we can say spin offs are important in a way. Since Super Princess Peach is actually is a spin off Mario game.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
oh yea, now there is a stage from a Spin Off game...What is so un-important about them? What says there can't be a character from the Spin Offs?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
y3nia659 said:
Actually she does have an image, say it or not she is the ruler of her own kindgom and this game took out of place from Mushroom kingdom so she has more to represent than just her game series.

Tatanga can take that spot, but he'll be rivaling with the next villain trying to get in in his spot (Bowser Jr,.)

As for the people who bought the game SML, you're right....they did not just buy it because of Daisy, but the Mario RPG was not bought because "OMG! GENO IS IN THIS GAME!" it was bought because of truly Mario.

Having moveset solely made from Spin offs is really not as bas as you think. peach had some in her moveset, and if she'll have some more or a different moveset just because of her game, we can say spin offs are important in a way. Since Super Princess Peach is actually is a spin off Mario game.
Yes. This is true. She is a ruler of a kingdom. I am not arguing that, but rather that said image is so unknown, unimportant, and generic that it's not worth a whole character spot.

People bought the Mario RPG for the story, because quite frankly, the gameplay sucked. On the other hand, SML's only strong point (and what a point it is) is it's amaz-a-zing gameplay, and again, portable (traditional 2D sidescroller) Mario.

Also, I have nothing against spin-off inspired moves in a moveset, I just don't want Daisy in.

And that Tatanga thing was a joke.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
oh yea, now there is a stage from a Spin Off game...What is so un-important about them? What says there can't be a character from the Spin Offs?
What "spin-offs" are you talking about? These games aren't bad, or unloved...they just don't have material to draw from.

EDIT - I have slapped myself for double posting. Apologies.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Everyone keep in mind that this is a game for Nintendo's all stars. So a character that doesn't have much significance other than spin-off games doesn't have much of a chance.

let's keep Daisy as an alternate costume.

Top Bottom