• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
amazing Geno mode it must of took forever to make ... but its still missing the cape though and the key shape on the hat like this image ...

http://photic.slimemansion.com/windcrystal/image/geno.jpg

but someone should be able to add those things to him
also on Geno's left boot i notice a small white area with no brown texture?

also should pants/shorts be added to Geno or should we just keep him to look like his original self? (if the pants/shorts make him look more awesome i guess you could add them to Geno).

originally posted by joshl94

Geno model .3ds format

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjvnig2ymnu

tell me what you get

by the way how do you get a 3dmax model into brawlbox and into brawl?

also how come the .3ds format is only a measly 320 or so KB while the .max version is near 23 MB. 0.0

check page the bottom of page 56 to See The Geno model

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Holy guacamole, ambush update by Uncle0wnage! Good to have you back, man!

Are you planning to continue working on the model, by the way?

Uncle0wnage

Smash Cadet
if i have time, school has been a beeahtch lately, and i've been waiting for the model injector.

just thought i should give you guys the progress, if i don't end up finishing it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
if i have time, school has been a beeahtch lately, and i've been waiting for the model injector.

just thought i should give you guys the progress, if i don't end up finishing it.
Very appreciated. Too often somebody shows up with awesome, previews it, and then disappears. :urg:

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
this is a but if question, who will finish the model if UncleOwnage can't do the Geno model due to his annoying amount of schoolwork? :(

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Totally understandable, Uncle0wnage. I'm loaded down with work lately too - sucks. Just stop by and let us know if you decide to get back to editing. Still looks pretty good if you don't though.

Garrett223

Smash Cadet
Metaknight's cape is a seperate Mdl0 if I can remember when I was working on Celebi. Texture and vertice on that question mark?
OH yeah. I am worried about Geno's arm. View it in any other 3d program such as, 3ds viewer, or anim8or, his right arm doesn't show. could this be because it was created in a way to duplicate his left arm, but it only shows that in certain programs? in this case, brawl is possibly the "program" that doesn't.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Metaknight's cape is a seperate Mdl0 if I can remember when I was working on Celebi. Texture and vertice on that question mark?
OH yeah. I am worried about Geno's arm. View it in any other 3d program such as, 3ds viewer, or anim8or, his right arm doesn't show. could this be because it was created in a way to duplicate his left arm, but it only shows that in certain programs? in this case, brawl is possibly the "program" that doesn't.
My fear about the hand isn't that (we can simply fix that using something else), it's the Guns that are supposed to be in the arm showing up properly (can the hands be fired off the arms, do they have the cannons inside, etc?)

If the cape is a seperate Mld0, that makes things a lot easier to animate, so long as we double-check to make sure it looks right. Is Marth's cape like that too?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
my fear isn't the hands its the jaw/mouth of Geno will it be able to open and close. So someone can give him a voice?

Garrett223

Smash Cadet
I can record a few voices for him. We just gotta find a way to put the sounds over toon link. I have no idea what is original sound files are called :3. Oh, and by the way. how do you make 1 character have 2 Mdl0s? and also, is it possible to convert dae to mdl0 yet? even without any bones?

Garrett223

Smash Cadet
Tew lazy. I Will just make some Brstms and add em in or something. On a side note, I made Claus in the CSS :3

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Not yet. Still no finished model, nor is the model imported finished yet anyways.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Well, as apparently no one is working on the model of Geno, while the import tools are not ready, I decided to try to update it a little more. I never worked much in the 3DS but I'm making some adjustments that are more convenient in my opinion.

First see the small changes I made in the body of Geno. They are mainly changes in scale, in rotation and positioning of parts. The only major change that I made in the body was in his hands and his arms. I put one finger more, and changed formats to leave them with a more human appearance.

Below are some pictures of major changes that I made on the face of Geno. I have changed the face modeled by a sphere with textures, only to look more like the original model of Geno. I particularly think it was better and more like the original.
Finally I put a cape and a texture on the hat just for a better view of the face.

As I said below are some pictures of the model, as I was modifying it:

Original:

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
dude Necro Toad nice job of tuning up the low poly Geno model it looks way better 0.0 now ^^

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I decided to post some more images to show some changes in the face of Geno. Like I said, the changes were mainly in the face: the mouth and nose rose slightly, the nose has changed its format, the texture of the hat was rebuilt; hat's flap was redone, the head size has increased slightly.
In the body I just increased the amount of polygons a little.

I took the picture with a teste cape, but I did not like. If I can get something better I will change.

I'm also putting a picture of Geno in a pose that I made just to test. Unfortunately I did with an older model ... but was cool anyway. :bee:

Uncle0wnage,

I was trying to render your model in 3D Studio and I saw that the red flap in the hat are invisible because they only have texture on one side. Basically imagine that I'm talking about a piece of paper, as only one side of this paper is painted, when the camera has to show the other side (which is not painted) it becomes invisible. You know how do I apply a texture on that side "not painted" so it does not become invisible when shown in certain angles?

thanks,
I'm having a lot of trouble to do a cape more like the original. :bee:

Garrett223

Smash Cadet
OMG. Total fangasm. Do we just have to wait for the model importer now? *shiver* And also, I hate to be the picky noob with no posts, but Geno's front of the cape is attatched by a yellow chord.

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
Will this be the first time Geno appears in a video game in full 3D?

Way to go, you guys are now officially better than Square Enix.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I am posting a picture of the model in its current state. Unlike the other pictures that were printscreens of the 3DS's screen, this picture is a pre-rendering. This week I'm a bit busy to continue working on the model with the same intensity as I was, but I must continue editing the model at the weekend.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Wow. It's really shaping up! I'd love to see it with some real grainy textures, but I guess we can wait for that.

By the way - I saw the pose you had a few posts earlier. Does that mean you've rigged it?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
can geno's eyes move up and down and left to right? and can his mouth/jaw open and close?

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Shadic: If you're asking if I modeled the pose from the photo's model, yes. I caught parts of the body of the template and rearrange them to form the pose. I really do not know if I understood your question.

Douhneill: Yes, the hands and the hat can come off. But if you're thinking of doing Geno shoot their own hands, you should probably create a projectile, such as the Link's arrow, and put the image of hands instead of the arrow image. But either way his hat and hands can be removed.
The model is separated in parts. Then you can move, rotate or reduce each of them independently. The question is how much the Smash "can" change the model along an animation. If you can replace the textures of the hand for invisible textures, or if you can lower your hand until it becomes invisible, then surely you can make the hand disappear. But if you want to know if they can simply be deleted temporarily, so I don't know the answer. You could research how it is done to the Link's bow disappear, and then probably you find a way to do the same with Geno's hand.

Senjen: To answer your question, I would have to know how the Smash changes the position of the eyes and mouth opening during an animation. I may be wrong, but from what I recall, the eyes are not spinning dynamically, they are predefined within the animation that is happening. The eyes are just a texture. Then you can, for example, create an animation in which the Geno gets some kind of damage, and replace, during this animation, the texture of a normal eye for a texture of a closed eye. The same thing happens with the mouth.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
To better understand how you can work Geno, I'm posting a photo of him "dismantled."

Each body part as you can see, can be moved and rotated to create a new animation. For the face, what changes is a texture (image), which is in the face. Below is an example of a face texture.

That way you can change the image by another, to be able to make facial expressions.
For example. To make Geno blink, I do that once in a while, the image of the face will be replaced by another in which the eye is closed.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
geno looks amazing necro toad! thanks for answering my previous question ^^ anywho how the back of geno look like i know the front of every character is usually what people like more but what does his back look like?

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Senjen, I had planned to post pictures of his back, but I forgot, sorry. Here is the image. Cape and ears have some bugs.
I am also posting a picture of "Geno for Brawl."

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
Amazing pictures Necro Toad, you made Geno exactly how i imagined him to be in brawl or in any game for that matter :) ^^

i could also imagine seeing the picture above showing Geno as a warning challenger approaching picture for him or the one with his back turned ^^.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Necro Toad, what program are you using to model this? Can I see it in wireframe mode? Is there interpenetration going on in the joints? And what's your polycount at? it looks like you're putting a lot of resolution into places where there needn't be that much.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Hi Jiangjunizzy,

I'm using 3D Studio. Below is a picture in wireframe. In this image the Geno is without the cape because it is provisional and will disturb the image.

I do not know how to work very well with models, actually I were learning while doing Geno. So probably there are parts that are with a lot of resolution and needn't be that much.
Yes, interpenetration is happening in the joints.
The count of polygons is 12000.
Would you like me to send the editable file? As I said I do not know how to work with models, and I'm having trouble editing the model because of my little knowledge and experience. Any help would be welcome.

Senjen:
Thanks, I'm doing everything that I can.
I can imagine a picture like that too. I hope we can see Geno on Youtube videos or see his name on the "Brawl Character Discussion" page someday.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Right now, you are working in quads, which are four sided polygons.

If you look at this model of falcon (from Brawl), you can see that most of the polygon faces are tris, which are three sided polygons, however, for some reason, there are still some quads around. I don't really know how to model with those, to be honest, but that's the standard for Brawl.

Notice how every tri takes up roughly the same amount of space not all distorted like you have in Geno's chest region. The reason you want to evenly space your tris is because when its mapped to a skeletal structure, it'll be distorted and bent in different ways, and if your mesh isn't water tight or nicely spaced, it'll get all funky when geno starts to perform some bendy poses.

Other than that, the silhouette looks decent, but your mesh is gonna need a lot of work. I don't know how to model in 3dmax, and honestly I don't know why people even use it anymore. Maya is the industry standard.. and there are *methods* to obtain Maya. Oh BTW, Falcon's poly count comes out to 6000 tris. You're gonna wanna axe a lot of those polygons.. that means a lot of tedious vertex by vertex editing.

edit: upon further inspection, i'm starting to believe that the modellers started modelling in quads, and then used some sort of tool to convert the quads into tris. I'm still not entirely sure why.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Thank Jiangjunizzy,

You took me out of the dark. I work with 3D Studio because when I started working on Geno was the only one I knew. I will give a researched in Maya and try to reduce the number of vertices of Geno at max.
About the tri polygons, I'll try to find a way to convert the model. It really should be some tool that converts.
I have to leave some polygons in quad, as well as some parts of the falcon? Or should I convert it into 100% tri?

Could you pass this model of falcon? I think that look at a complete model will help me very much.

Thank you for your help

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Thank Jiangjunizzy,

You took me out of the dark. I work with 3D Studio because when I started working on Geno was the only one I knew. I will give a researched in Maya and try to reduce the number of vertices of Geno at max.
About the tri polygons, I'll try to find a way to convert the model. It really should be some tool that converts.
I have to leave some polygons in quad, as well as some parts of the falcon? Or should I convert it into 100% tri?

Could you pass this model of falcon? I think that look at a complete model will help me very much.

Thank you for your help
No problem.

Yea, definitely look into Maya, you'll get way more help tutorial wise because it's what everyone uses.

Let me reiterate what I said earlier: I believe that the models are made in quads, and then converted to tris afterwards somehow, perhaps even by hand. I've been looking more closely at the model, and I can't find any quads. There's definitely some tool they use to convert them to Tris.

Anyway, here's a link to a rip of all the models. They're in DAE format, which is readable by 3ds max and maya.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/488...ros_Brawl_Extracted_Character_Models_(.dae_fi

Top Bottom