• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MLGF

Smash Lord
I like looking through the user tags.
We got one called Oddflames, that's rather appropriate.
One is Welp?, which once again seems fitting.
And another called "Shrek_is_love", that's not fitting or anything, but it's in very good taste.

Kneato

Totoro Joe
do you people know what conjecture means
Yes, but saying it's not on the list doesn't prove it isn't going to be there is kinda like saying that no one ever seeing a blue, one eyed, Italian unicorn with hemorrhoids doesn't prove that they don't exist.

What I'm getting at is that if PM was going to be featured, it would have been on the list. So as of now, assume it won't be featured. However, that may change in the future.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Assume it won't be BECAUSE PEOPLE SUCK AND CYNICISM IS ALMOST NEVER WRONG
(´・ω・)

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
God damn it smashboards, I leave this forum for one day.

In all seriousness, good luck getting sponsorship using a game that pretty literally said, hey, brawl is bad, let's improve it.

I'm not trying to hate here but if Nintendo is actually sponsoring this tournament, I would doubt PM could be a main game, even if it is a personal favorite of mine as well. Unless it's Valve or Blizzard, I doubt a company sponsoring it's mods and you guys expecting it to is even more ludicrous. I mean a year ago, they almost prevented melee, an actual released game of theirs from being streamed.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I am trying my damned best not to act outwardly angry right now, but I think I need one post.

until a better game comes out, I only ever intend to support the community of project m. I have ever since I first learned about it and our biggest tournament just barely hit three digits, and I always will. I want to contribute more, I want to help more, I want to make more out of this. I've played SSB4, and while it's a fun party game on smash run, a good fighting game it is not, so project m I stay.

I also do not take kindly to sellouts. you know the kind, people who will harm themselves and everyone around them in the long run, solely because they saw money, and that was all the justification they needed. I hate the selfishness, and the faux-passiveness they put on to appease the corporate control they handed the keys to. these are the people who will always, always harm any community they touch the most, but it won't matter to them, because for reasons I perhaps am not in the best POV to explain, money mattered more than the people they serve by running these.

so, with that in mind:

I hope this backfires. I hope it backfires so hard, it's known as nothing less than a trashy tournament, and we get a better replacement for it. I do not have a hint of respect for people who will try and rip away at the cores of a supposed "one unit" (which is god damn laughable at this point considering anything other than melee and ssb4 is thrown out as not good enough) for some dollar signs, and Apex, as a series, deserves nothing less than contempt and hatred for this decision. maybe, after all the screaming and anger and refunded hotel and plane tickets, someone within apex staff will grow a brain, perhaps maybe even lose their invertebrate status, and tell nintendo that they cannot gut the people for their own purposes.

until then, I am within full justification to call everyone at apex staff a gaggle of bloaty, rotten pricks, and they're gonna have to deal with that, now aren't they?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Also, strife doesn't hate the Project M community. If he didn't want PJ:M to be in apex, he wouldn't have had it in there from the beginning. I mean seriously, wasn't there a pretty big tournament last year featuring Project M, like 400 person BIG.

Blame the sponsor, not Strife. There is a huge difference here.

Also, you guys, you do understand the world copyright here. I think you are letting your hated go over your judgement, just a little bit?

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
everything project m is falls under fair use. so do most fan projects based around modding existing games, for that matter

the only reason these C&Ds work is because the people involved don't have enough money to fight back massive companies

worst case scenario, I'd help pay for legal funds, and I'm sure many others would too

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Sure, sure. We could help fund the PMBR to fight Ninty in court.
But do you really think the donations of the pitiful crowd of Smashboards users', mostly college students or post grads in crazy debt, would give away that much.

The PMDT has a fanbase, but that doesn't mean it can hope that they'll back them in a time of lawsuit, that's just stupid. They'll have to be careful where they tread.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yeah, I stalk this thread all the time, I just never post because I'm never angry enough to post. Excuse me while I disappear again.
I dont think you need to be angry to post, (unless you're talking about the current situation).

As someone who plays all competitively, I'm not that mad, i'm just more of shocked/worried, I hope it goes well from here, it might not be at Apex, but I know the PM community will back it hard come next big tourney.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
An aside, it's not like not being fair use would slow these down.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
how do you figure
transformative work. anything that does not immediately base itself off profit (which project m doesn't, because it's free) and transforms itself into something different enough (being a very full-on complete transformation mod kind of does that) is considered legal. mind you, the trick behind C&Ds is that fair use doesn't mean you can't be sued, simply that fair use is a rightful and correct defense when sued.

so basically, I'll buy a second t-shirt off teespring for the likely-never-happening PMDT legal fundraiser pls

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@Paradoxium when did you start maining ROB in PM? or is your character icon just wrong or outdated.

Also if it ever comes down to it, I would personally be willing to donate like (up to) $1000 to a PM legal defense fund in the scenario PMDT were served a C&D and decided to combat it. I'd just be putting on hold buying a Netplay comp/WiiU+adaptor+SmashU/some other things I was gonna get around to buying with the dough I got sitting in the bank, anyway.

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
are you sure
http://www.apex-series.com/four-generations-of-smash-here-is-your-apex-2015-line-up-2/

https://www.facebook.com/Keitarotime/posts/10104442622515749?pnref=story

https://twitter.com/S3thlon/status/530902185484120065 (Alex deleted the reply, but it was something to the effect of "Something big happened, sorry")

Also lets not forget all the PMDT members expressing outrage over this.

Don't you think if PM was in Apex, they would have said something by now?

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
PMDT should settle this with nintendo
in Smesh

gogogogo
This would be over so fast. PM would officially become Nintendo's flagship smash game, PMDT would be bought by Nintendo and put on a project to make the game on Wii U and 3DS from the ground up with the help of Nintendo's programmers, they'd rebuild Wii wifi and make it compatible with Wii U/3DS wifi, giving a 0-lag online PM system linking the game on 3 consoles. PMDT would have final say in all content and balance. Nintendo would sponsor tournaments for all 5 smash games, with PM and Melee being the focused games.

RIP my dreams.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I dunno man, Iwata can do nasty stuff
I heard he can lucas dair infinite irl
tough luck getting outta that with 0 SDI modifier

SunJester

Smash Ace
Lets be proactive here. Who in apex could stop say, tourney locator, from streaming a PM tournament from their hotel room, during apex? We can get together set ups, and TO's and host them in various rooms. I know it would be a smaller tournament, but if we had like 3-5 rooms with two tvs each, wouldn't that work?

I'm sure we could pull some of the players from the other games into the tournament if word got out enough? We could stream money matches and build up some hype. Really all thats holding us back from doing this would be people bringing set ups, TO's and a streamer.

Can we make this happen?

Bleck

Smash Master
transformative work. anything that does not immediately base itself off profit (which project m doesn't, because it's free) and transforms itself into something different enough (being a very full-on complete transformation mod kind of does that) is considered legal.
no see, the thing about fair use is that it's actually decided on a case-by-case basis - Project M isn't immune to legal accusations of copyright misuse just because it vaguely fits into descriptions of certain concepts central to the idea of fair use

fair use would be the defense that someone would use if they decided to take Nintendo to court in response to anything that Nintendo could have done in any legal capacity

specifically, the lack of an immediate profit motive doesn't necessarily determine whether or not something fits under fair use, nor is the concept of something being transformative so easily objectively determined

Don't you think if PM was in Apex, they would have said something by now?
don't you think if it wasn't in Apex, they would have said something by now

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Why the **** are you guys freaking out about pm not being at apex
And who the **** are all of these people here

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
also, coney has some good thoughts on twitter:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'm sticking with PM no matter what, and I know what this looks like from seeing how this worked before, so I guess I'll be patient and wait for everyone to come crawling back after ninty decides that they don't need to promote smash that much anymore in a couple of years

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
to the optimistic guys thinking pm will still be at apex: it won't be.

to the people supposedly wanting to kill over PM not being at apex: start with yourself

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
PMDT should settle this with nintendo
in Smesh

gogogogo
omg can you imagine how cool that would be

nintendo would just hire the best pro to represent them, one selling out his smash brothers for his own personal gain
while pmdt would pick a hero, one who fights not for glory or money, but for his friends and what's right

i love melodrama

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
wh-when did this happen before
the gleam of e-sports, that is. possibly also nintendo sponsorship, given that official nintendo-run tournaments were a thing in melee's early days (had 4-stock no items and everything).

until the day you get to something like LoL's level, don't feel comfortable in that setting, with that prize pool. hell, don't be comfortable even if you get to that level. a strong core in a competitive community can make a game last decades, and if built up slowly, can be unbeatable. what we're doing to appease nintendo is cut away at that core, for a slight sturdiness that gives away the second they stop caring.

and really, that's the issue here; APEX is dropping everything some people in this community spent nearly half a decade working and building on, for a sponsor that has no guarantee for our future, simply the now.

(I swear to god I've only make one angry post, this is mostly one of my normal, oftentimes unintentionally condescending posts)

also, PMDT would totally pick sethlon for that fight

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
woah damn I didn't know there's an actual case involving ninty on this

"personal enjoyment" is a weird term though. does that specifically refer to personal as in "no profitable sharing" or personal as in "no sharing in general"?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
reading up on nintendo cases now out of boredom. did you know that someone at universal studios genuinely thought donkey kong and king kong looked alike?
Nintendo thanked [nintendo's lawyer whom won the case] John Kirby with a $30,000 sailboat christened the Donkey Kong along with "exclusive worldwide rights to use the name for sailboats." The character in Nintendo's Kirby series of video games may have been named after John Kirby, in honor of his services in the Donkey Kong case. It is rumored that a copy of the game was eventually sent to John Kirby who was humored and flattered.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So I'm looking for games on steam, thing is i'm poor.

So i'm trading my vast amounts of steam game codes for stuffs

Plz respond if interested :c

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
To anyone sending death threats over this, via twitter and other areas.

I hate you and everything you stand for.
to the optimistic guys thinking pm will still be at apex: it won't be.

to the people supposedly wanting to kill over PM not being at apex: start with yourself
1407388088620.gif

Yeah. Cooler heads are needed in this situation. Sending over death threats to Alex and Ninty will NOT solve this in ANY WAY.

Top Bottom