• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SunJester

Smash Ace
I'll appeal one more time. Especially since there's 50+ people reading this.

Can we think of anything proactive as a community, to combat this? We probably won't be able to get PM back into Apex, but we can be sure to make sure this never happens again. Should we wait for official confirmation before we launch a campaign? Or should we simply start organizing new tournaments for PM?

We have to fight through this, I see quite a few people who are very complacent with letting this game die, there's way too much work from Devs and Players to let that happen.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Hungrybox's twitter brought me here sort of indirectly...

If the the sponsorship thing is real, I understand the reasoning behind the decision. There'll be other tournaments.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
alright, so in binding of isaac rebirth, there's a character that... nobody knows how to unlock. no-one, not one player since release, has the character on hand, and not one person even knows anything about them, beyond that some achievements in the list give a name called "the lost"

http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofis...assive_spoilers_speculation_as_to_the_finale/

I could be talking more about how smelly apex is and how I'll fight nintendo irl but this is genuinely the most interesting thing I've seen out of a game I assumed would be easily torn apart and calculated within a few days

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

Can we think of anything proactive as a community, to combat this? We probably won't be able to get PM back into Apex, but we can be sure to make sure this never happens again. Should we wait for official confirmation before we launch a campaign? Or should we simply start organizing new tournaments for PM?

We have to fight through this, I see quite a few people who are very complacent with letting this game die, there's way too much work from Devs and Players to let that happen.
The solution is easy, we just have to make our own national tourney.

Ffs, we're the ones who keep PM alive, not some rando SF players who are also watching Apex

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It makes me sad there's people who love a mod so much they'll throw loads of money just to help fund it.
That money would be put to better use in my wallet ;;

SunJester

Smash Ace
The solution is easy, we just have to make our own national tourney.

Ffs, we're the ones who keep PM alive, not some rando SF players who are also watching Apex
A lot of my last few years has been spent being depressed and PM and it's streams helped me a lot to take the edge off. If there's anything I can do for the community to help it through this, I'm more than willing to.

I know it sound stupid, but I will help out as much as I can from the recluse of my basement that I never come out of.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman

Here's how to be proactive. Go to social media and politely voice your disappointment over Project M not being at Apex (without bashing the Apex staff or Nintendo). If you had to cancel a flight, say that. Maybe say that you won't be watching Apex streams. And keep it civil.

EDIT: Maybe say something positive like "hopefully, Smash tournaments in the future will continue to have PM"

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
alright, so in binding of isaac rebirth, there's a character that... nobody knows how to unlock. no-one, not one player since release, has the character on hand, and not one person even knows anything about them, beyond that some achievements in the list give a name called "the lost"

http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofis...assive_spoilers_speculation_as_to_the_finale/

I could be talking more about how smelly apex is and how I'll fight nintendo irl but this is genuinely the most interesting thing I've seen out of a game I assumed would be easily torn apart and calculated within a few days
That's coooool
Is this for Golden Sun then?
Too much to read
I heard that game was awesome from a lot of people and want to check it out sometime but never really seen it.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I heard that game was awesome from a lot of people and want to check it out sometime but never really seen it.
it's a weird, projectile-based zelda-like-kind-of-if-you-squint rogue-ish-like. mostly it's based off the fact that everything, from the items you get to the dungeons you crawl through and the enemies you fight, are randomized and different each time you play

this gives so much variance in gameplay that I know of people whose hours poured into the game are in the four digits, it's nutty

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Remember how we JUST had this conversation a few months ago when Melee was (suspected to be) dropped from EVO 2015? About how the game was still gonna thrive despite missing one of the biggest tournaments of the year? Everybody chill.

1FD

Smash Ace
it's a weird, projectile-based zelda-like-kind-of-if-you-squint rogue-ish-like. mostly it's based off the fact that everything, from the items you get to the dungeons you crawl through and the enemies you fight, are randomized and different each time you play

this gives so much variance in gameplay that I know of people whose hours poured into the game are in the four digits, it's nutty
Sounds like rogue legacy but with a story or something....

OCOOOOOOLL

saltybeach

Smash Journeyman
As a total no-one and a fan of project m I just have to say one thing about the Apex thing.

These knee-jerk reactions are NOT the right way to go about this. Obviously you can't control how individuals want to express themselves, but monkey see as monkey do. Waging an all-out war/raging against Nintendo is not the way to go about this. The only way that ends is very badly.

If the big N really wanted to, they could shut down PM. I know everyone talks about different sides of that debate, but this is Nintendo. They would be able to if they feel very strongly that it needed to be done. But they don't. At the very worst, they influenced APEX not to feature PM for their own possibly selfish reasons.

So we miss APEX. Its not like every PM tournament in the entire nation is under fire. For all we know, this could be a ONE time thing. Maybe Nintendo just wanted to showcase Smash 4 at APEX in a "official" tournament setting.

There may be a war coming, but its not a war we should want. Going 100% against Nintendo should be our last resort.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
This is bad. I doubt PinkFresh is the only PM player who's going to start focusing on Smash 4 in light of these developments.

Some are suggesting we shouldn't be doom-and-gloom, but **** that noise. I am doom-and-gloom. I'm super pessimistic about PM's future. We won't see the game at any Nintendo-sponsored tournaments, and given Nintendo's aim to push Smash 4 as much as possible to salvage an underperforming console, that's gonna be a lot of tournaments. And players will follow. Why spend time learning a "dying game"? Smash 4 is going to have a big community with big tourneys and big prize pools. Its longevity is not in jeopardy.

It cannot be understated: this is effectively a "mainstream" C&D. PM will still get streamed for local events and mid-level events, but for all the big tournaments Nintendo will sponsor, PM is dead and buried. So, in my humble opinion, it's time for the PMDT to cast aside any concerns about Nintendo backlash and go all in with PM. A swift 3.5 release with some new characters would reinvigorate PM at a grassroots level if nothing else and would provide incentive for players to stick around instead of moving on.

Early damage control should be the MO.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I propose we make low tier city our own little APEX

it has probably the best competition, considering how it was last time, and it's in a very PM-heavy region

also "low tier city" is just a really good name in general

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I propose we make low tier city our own little APEX

it has probably the best competition, considering how it was last time, and it's in a very PM-heavy region

also "low tier city" is just a really good name in general
But DFW is so far away

Why not somewhere in Austin instead plz, like Forte

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Forte? That tournament that isn't streaming PM because it's an APEX World Circuit event?

Sounds like a great PM national to me.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Forte? That tournament that isn't streaming PM because it's an APEX World Circuit event?

Sounds like a great PM national to me.
Yes

The more grassroots we are, the better

Remember the days when smash matches were recorded with those little camcorder things?

Those were the hypest of days

EDIT: Also it would be a pretty huge middle finger to all of them if we did make one of their tournaments a big PM national and it ended up having more entrants, you know?

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
actually I think I want one more angry post b/c twitter pricks, so I just want to point out some things that, in hindsight are kind of obvious

at best, #oneunit only existed so melee could get everyone else to get that game into EVO, and was pretty immediately dropped. at worst, it was likely even a facade then. there has never, at any point, been such thing as a complete and friendly smash community as a whole.

everyone in this thread almost definitely knows this, because we make fun of cockend fox players from melee getting pissy over fox vs. anyone and fox changes all the time to the point that "do [ridiculous thing] because melee" is an inside joke by now. it's been widely assumed and considered that PM stopped appealing as something to appeal to melee, simply something that kind of functions like it.

but everyone on twitter is suddenly going "b-b-but one unit : (" as if anyone decently deep into the PM scene doesn't know we're the scapegoat everyone used to use for melee from 08-13, and what everyone uses for brawl after that fact. **** the one unit, we were never a part of it, let's be our own.

(PS, to all those gloating melee players: wait a couple of months for EVO. you think they're gonna pick you, when they have to pick one or the other and they have nintendo's backing?)

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
very gay, tho

well, maybe not, depending on your definition, but still

look, I think I gain a bit of right to be a bit grumpy when project m is the only reason I care about smash to begin with, and it's thrown away in favor of appealing to people who, no less than a year and a half ago, preferred cease and desists to any form of conversation

for all the jokes I make, y'all are good folks, and I'm willing to defend being able to play and talk with ya

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Wow, people are getting bent out of shape about one tournament. C'mon guys, you know that Nintendo apparently wanting to extend an olive branch to the competitive fans, aren't going to want the competition between Smash4 and PM. (As I don't think there's really much competition between which is the better competitive game at this point)

I'm a little curious why people think Sakurai has anything to do with the competitive scene from Nintendo though. The man does not even work for Nintendo and only gets brought back to work as a director on the games. Once the games are done, I'm pretty sure he goes back to Sora and does his own thing, only coming back when Nintendo wants something from him and is willing to pay.

Also, I would not say that PM is completely in fair use as they've stated in the past that they're more in a gray area. Sort of fair use, yet sort of not at the same time. I don't think that Nintendo would necessarily call for a C&D though as every copy of PM requires (Well for the most part) a working copy of Brawl and they could still milk the Brawl sales if they wanted to.

Overall though, I get the frustration that many of our favorite game isn't going to be at APEX, but it's not the end of the world. It's not like we need the mass appeal in order to be a strong community. Melee was always tight knit, even when the majority of the Fighting Game Community scoffed and stated outright that Smash isn't a "Real" fighting game. Just stick with the community and whatever they do to us won't matter much in the long run. Sides, if they piss off too many fans (Nintendo anyways), we can always just not buy their products.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Huh Zone didn't think it was, weird, must be either frame specific or not possible on shields. IDK lol, thought it was weird when he said you couldn't do it in melee though, I seem to recall SS and other Falcons whipping it out on occasion, but I didn't go and look for anything specific.
It's just hard (but not nearly as hard as other early aerial things I could list: which I could DARE you to attempt and record: are you up for the challenge? know anybody who would be?), so generally after a couple attempts they might not think it works in Melee. Hitting something like a shield or hurtbox should just put you in hitlag, where you don't move anywhere at all (except for the person who got hit who can SDI or otherwise Shield SDI or something); so I don't think it changes any height specifics only the necessary delay in timing for after you're unfrozen.

Also M2K signed my toothpaste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6EEsvg5uiw

..wait why is there 50 people viewing the thread?

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
So I was writing a paper this evening when my computer crashed for no reason and deleted an hour of my work.

#ThanksObama

SunJester

Smash Ace
Its shows how deep #oneunit runs. It helps Melee get into Evo? Good.

Once its needed for any other smash game, no one gives a ****.

And to think, I was starting to believe it too. One unit, until its inconvenient.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, Project M is pretty fun. Let's play some PM.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Hey guys, Project M is pretty fun. Let's play some PM.
Why was there 100 people viewing this thread? Also I dare you to stream PM and attempt some of my early aerial challenges again
@ Meme Meme Hungrybox's twitter what?

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
at best, #oneunit only existed so melee could get everyone else to get that game into EVO, and was pretty immediately dropped. at worst, it was likely even a facade then. there has never, at any point, been such thing as a complete and friendly smash community as a whole.
i wish everyone could realize this

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Oh noes, theres a tournament without PM?

How could we possibly go on as a game without being at one tournament? What can we do to prevent the game from dieing?

Just ****ing attend/host tournaments and the game wont die, ffs. Its just one event, not the end of the world.

Games dont just "die," they die when the scene stops caring.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
have you actually read one post from any of these pages

like, any one of them. one of them even very explicitly states everyone knows this isn't a sudden killer, we're just reasonably worried about what it means

Top Bottom