• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Doesn't Dair just halt vertical movement now and not horizontal movement?

EDIT: Or maybe I just entirely misread what your post was getting at.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh, and since we're on the topic of footstooling -- Lucario can DA --> Usmash --> Footstool --> Dair at low %'s, for a lulzy 35%~
I really like this idea. Sounds like if the opponent tries to punish OoS after the dash attack or keeps shielding, it'll still work either way (haven't actually tried it yet and could be wrong, but this is what feels like should be the case), and if the opponent just rolls away, then they won't be in any position to punish you. If they spot dodge the usmash, though, then they could probably punish since you wouldn't be able to cancel the usmash in any case, but then you can just do other things.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I could probably beat most current pm players just spamming techskill with fox, no offense.

If I really though about my play, I'd be a legit threat at an event with pmbr members.

:phone:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If that were the case, Brawl would be top-tier in fighting games.

People get so mad about the fact that they're playing Brawl that they punch each other in the face.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
***** I can infinite CG with ICs way better than you can scrooge NOOB

`dazrin

Smash Champion
[COLLAPSE="9k's white snake"]
[/COLLAPSE]
here's a pic of 9k's white snake, for all your viewing pleasure, gentlemen.

edit: waiiiit a second... 9k is black... which means... OH GOD.
[COLLAPSE="a picture of 9k's face"]
[/COLLAPSE]

XkaruX

Smash Apprentice
The image verification in SmashMods isn't working. Without it I can't register =/
I have tried in 3 different browser, but the image just won't load.

MaxThunder

PM Support
^^Try right clicking where the image should be... you might be able to click view image or copy image location or something like that...

stelzig

Smash Lord
Maybe I should give it another try but....it isn't the same timing it seems. It's effortless for me in melee where is I have to struggle to do it now it seems.
On a related note, I had some trouble multishining or even getting the followup shine in the air after a grounded shine, because the game would Dair when I hit A (buffer? Even though it is turned off...) .
It didn't take that long to get used to and still doing successive shines quickly, but it definitely felt different too.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The image verification in SmashMods isn't working. Without it I can't register =/
I have tried in 3 different browser, but the image just won't load.
I'm able to Right click -> copy image URL and open it in a new tab, but that's a pretty big issue... I'll look into it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
My white Snake can dominate your ropey red snake
White Snake is like the only one I didn't replace.

No wait, I replaced it with Old Snake, and I made my own, better Naked Snake texture that replaces his vest with bandages. Then I made a "Squares" camo to replace the dark red one, and made green more vibrant and "Electric SNAKE." And I made blue more vibrant as well because I was tired of all the Snakes looking the same.

I didn't replace the original I guess.

I'll probably do the same for Melee Ganon because wtf they are like identical.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Because it doesn't match the Melee standard yet
That's because it already surpassed it.

Maybe if you people took off your fanboy glasses you'd realize that being slightly different or easier than Melee does not make Project M an inherently worse game.

shanus

Smash Hero
This is how many downloads we had for the entire time demo 1 was out. I can't believe we have 20k already and it's only been a week. :D
Yeah, I thought it was 20K for demo 1 in first two weeks, but I was wrong, it was 20K for total Demo 1, which we did in our first week with Demo 2.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I dont mean this to be offensive but to be fair demo 1 kinda sucked, while demo 2 is pretty awesome so it makes sense u got so many downloads so fast.

:phone:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
That's because it already surpassed it.
As a competitive Melee player I disagree. Consider how long Melee has been around, the community, all the tournaments and experiences, and it's still growing. Are you comparing all that to a game that hasn't even been released?

I don't know about your Smash history but play P:M for few hours, then pop in Melee and notice how much better the latter feels to play. There are still many things to fix in the Brawl/P:M engine to make it match Melee, to reach the standard, not the mention the sound and the graphics (animation) department. I'm not saying P:M is bad, the fact that it comes so close to Melee is an amazing achievement. The character balance/design is superior to Melee, no doubt. But as I said, there is still a lot of work to do to please the hardcore Melee crowd.

Mind you, I think the only person with fanboy glasses on is you.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm a veteran Melee player and I don't think Melee feels "better".

It feels more comfortable, of course, I've played it for over a decade; but PM feels really fluid and natural to play as well. The physics don't need to be 100% exactly the same as Melee's for me to enjoy it, adapting is easy just like with any sequel.

I'm not going to say either game has surpassed the other until PM has had more of a chance to prove itself.

leelue

Smash Lord
It feels more comfortable, of course, I've played it for over a decade; but PM feels really fluid and natural to play as well. The physics don't need to be 100% exactly the same as Melee's for me to enjoy it, adapting is easy just like with any sequel.
The fact that people don't seem to understand that the bold text is exceedingly important is mind-shatteringly jarring. I'm sure that if you played P:M-Dv2 for even 9 months with no melee interludes that it'd feel as natural and "smooth" as melee (sans the glitches, of course). Or, alternatively, if PM was out since 2001 and melee was the new game on the street, melee would feel pretty damn off.

I know this because after playing PM for the last year, I can't legitimately get back to form in melee. It's just not possible. This is why I don't have new videos of me playing melee on my playtester application; I'm only playing at like 85% of my old efficiency. Teching there is different to me in the same way the teching here feels different to you. I'm used to momentum stacking, so not seeing it in melee throws me off for a second. I try to RAR, constantly. I jump off the ledge expecting to be able to act before my next birthday. The timing for little tech skills is off by a frame or two, I adjusted and now the melee timing is wrong to me. You have to practice using a little perspective.

So no, Novi, since you are unable to judge the two games from a blank slate (that is to say, without the 10 years of melee to warp your definition of "better" and "smooth"), it is indeed you who has the glasses.

I don't know, maybe StarshipGroove does too. I don't know what his judgments are based on. But I stepped back and saw each game as an individual, not as one being the sequel to another. P:M won. I played melee for 6 years and started playing PM from the day of the first demo's drop. PM feels better to me now that I have had enough time to adjust and play them both with comparable skill. Sorry.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Been playing smash since ssb64 was released.

I'm still more comfortable with Melee, but by no means does PM feel awkward. Like Grim said, it doesn't really HAVE to be exactly the same. We can adapt a little bit. (most people)

I feel like it is harder to link Fox's up-throw to up-air. Is this true? Or am I just messing up based on the different visual cues etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom