• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Even that is subtly laced with Ike references. This "game" is great, clearly a shrine to Ike.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
First of all, Mario (imo the best character in P:M)
Also...
Sheik because she's really homo with dthrows and fairs.
Lucas because I have no idea wtf he's doing.
Fox because he has a win button.
Peach because her physics are weird.
ROB aka JCaesar because he can seemingly dsmash in all situations.
Luigi because he has a combo breaker called nair.
Bowser because I hate super armor, crawl armor, and his fair hits everywhere in the universe.

But still, no johns. I welcome all challenges. :)

:phone:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Yeah, the 7-8 top melee chars haha

Haven't you heard the breaking news? Melee spacies are low tier due to not-so-secret anti-spacie technology that the PMBR has granted to everyone? Have fun perfecting your waveshines while I practice grab uthrow fsmash and eat bagels.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Novi made it a point to include the eating of bagels. The level of multitasking with this new technology is astounding.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Don't even get me started if you want to try and butter them during all of this madness.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Don't even get me started if you want to try and butter them during all of this madness.
...who butters bagels?
Mario is just Doc minus pills plus recovery. I guess Dair is better too.

what makes you say he is the best character?
I wanted to know this as well. I know that Mario is a really good character but I can never bring myself to believe that he's the best in the game because he's never been the best in any smash game before.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Fireballs have pill bouncing arcs, USmash on grounded opponents bounces them into the air, Mario Fair can easily combo into Doc Fair, FSmash is actually good at killing. It's small things, but they all make him substantially more effective. Personally not the best, but comparable to or better than his N64 incarnation; pretty damn good.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Ultimately it's because he has the least amount of bad matchups.

But yes, Doc mixed with Mario with a MUCH better recovery. He has chaingrabs and really good combos on basically every character.
Dair eats through everything.
Cape is unblockable and the effects are lingering.
He has like at least 20 kill setups and all of his smash attacks are KO moves. Not to mention his fair.
He can camp, can't be camped, or be pure aggro. He's floaty enough to be difficult to combo.

Listen to me I win tournaments
#[REJECTED]

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
JACK OF NO TRADES. MASTER OF ALL.

Eli does make good points tho. Mario has an amazing MU spread even if he doesnt outright do everything super well.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
No one is trying to nerf Snake stingers.

At least as of now.

The only people who would even have the SLIGHTEST of grounds to being such an argument is UK.

And they dont post here. The talk on FB.
Nah dude none of us think Snake should be nerfed, haha.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ultimately it's because he has the least amount of bad matchups.

But yes, Doc mixed with Mario with a MUCH better recovery. He has chaingrabs and really good combos on basically every character.
Dair eats through everything.
Cape is unblockable and the effects are lingering.
He has like at least 20 kill setups and all of his smash attacks are KO moves. Not to mention his fair.
He can camp, can't be camped, or be pure aggro. He's floaty enough to be difficult to combo.

That's where I am surprised. You think his MU spread is better than Fox or Falco? I think he still loses to people like Marth Sheik possibly Peach and Falcon too. His MU spread, if anything, is "safe". It's not strong though at least vs some of the expected top characters.

Cape was like that in Melee too. The reflect effect lingered.

Ground bounce may or may not be a buff, it depends in certain cases because it makes it techable and you might prefer a clean upwards hit instead. Sometimes with Doc it was frustrating during certain CC/tech situations when that happened.

He doesn't have that many kill setups, you're either getting a grab or Dair into Smash attack. He is fairly reliable at killing from throws no matter what the opponent's character is because Dthrow and Uthrow cover most characters for guaranteeing at least a Fair. Dthrow floaties, Uthrow heavies. Etc

He's hard to camp, but he's not hard to bait. Mario's approaching is pretty linear and fireballs aren't so effective that a lot of characters are forced to approach. His actual travel speed is ok, he doesn't close the gap like some of the fast characters. Dash dancing/moving back hurts his approaching a lot and with better spacing people should reliably beat out or trade with Dair.

JACK OF NO TRADES. MASTER OF ALL.

Eli does make good points tho. Mario has an amazing MU spread even if he doesnt outright do everything super well.
Idk, you gotta remember where other characters stand though. It's not like Spacies don't exist, that Jiggs sucks, and other Melee characters didn't get buffed as well. In a Vacuum it looks very good for Mario, but I can't see him being better than Marth etc.

Edit: A cool thing about Mario is that Dthrow to Usmash at lower % is basically foolproof. They buffed how far back his head reaches, and a lot of characters actually get hit if they DI behind him. Basically no way to avoid that. I learned that playing a month or something ago in tournament vs a Shiek. Depending on the character though you would already have a CG on them at those % anyways but it's something to remember.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Cape is different in P:M. I was a Doc main in melee and I know that the lingering is different. In P:M you like, keep moving the opposite direction as long as you hold it. Also, unblockable.

Mario doesn't need to approach, but he can. You can just space dairs if you want.

And about his matchup spread, yes I do think he has the best matchup spread.
With spacies, at least you can chaingrab them, combo them because they're fastfallers, and gimp them easily.
With Mario it's not so simple. He can mixup his recovery with capes, down-b, up-b wall jump, and cover himself with projectiles.
Falcon is another character with plenty of difficult matchups. He's a fastfaller with no projectiles and an easily gimpable recovery.
I would certainly say Mario does not lose to Falcon. He probably goes evenish with Sheik. Doesn't lose to Peach. She can't camp turnips and her floating results in getting intercepted by many dairs. Marth is actually one of my favorite characters to fight with Mario in P:M or Doc in melee. I have tons of experience in that matchup and it wasn't too bad for Doc in melee. In P:M, Mario is just way better so I don't see how it would be in Marth's favor.

Also,
Listen to me I win tournaments
#[REJECTED]

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you mean the way it turns people around, yeah that feels stronger or more disorientating. I just meant for reflecting stuff, the move still reflects even if it looks like his cape is "done". I thought you were talking about that.

I think that's an optimistic MU spread and while he doesn't have the fast faller/easy to combo weakness, he is limited range wise and his approaching is fairly linear. Dair can stuff a lot, but it also commits him in the air for a long time. He doesn't cover the kind of ground that Falcon Fox etc do so it's hard to fly around "Nair" style like those characters and try to be as safe. With people going aggro/playing into Mario, Dair looks very good. But Mario trying to get in vs dash dance Marth Shiek etc doesn't look fun at all.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
He can just throw a fireball to cover his approach. Fireballs clank with Marth's sword so he can't out-space it. Sheik I can grant you though. I think the matchup is evenish at best though. Mario can chaingrab her and her recovery is easy to edgeguard. You just grab the ledge and wait.
On the other hand, Mario is really good at baiting because like you said, you do NOT wanna go aggro on him. Well you can't really camp him either because he can camp better with dairs and cape and fireballs. Once you accidentally dash dance onto a fireball or dair, you're combo food.
And his approaches are admittedly not the best, but he still can space ftilt. Basically he can bait you into a mistake all day long and if you make that mistake, goodbye.
Whereas you can't really combo Mario to death off a mistake.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I'd imagine Marth/Ike would wreck Mario.

Edit: To explain, key to beating Mario is just spacing him. Mario's approach game is booty. Marth/Ike can keep Mario at bay with f-airs and dash dancing. Once Mario gets in, he's in there, but he has to get in there first. Mario doesn't really have strong disjointed hitboxes on his moves so he puts himself at risk vs. characters with great disjointed hitboxes that keep their hurtboxes safe.

I still think Mario has a strong match-up spread. He doesn't necessarily lose to many people nor does he completely demolish people. Very solid pick.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Also, I'd imagine Falcon would be able to combo Mario to death off a mistake fairly easily.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Yea, Falcon probably could. I'm pretty sure Mario ***** Falcon though. While Falcon has to combo into knee to kill, he can't really edgeguard Mario too well. Whereas Mario can combo Falcon to death and edgeguard him very easily, not mention he can camp him with ease.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
A lot of that was the same in Melee for that MU, and Mario still lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom