• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@DMG this too is relevant

"My issue with this model is that it depends on a bad DI and the throws, despite their speed, have distinct (different) animations. If she's a problem, people will learn to react to her throw choice (happened to Marth in Melee but he had tech chase & u-throw > sword to fall back on [but Sheik doesn't]). Moreover, I'm fearful that DIs exist that force her to regrab or whatnot in certain situations - these kinds of DIs are dangerous because they're essentially free DI guesses for the defender. I also dislike that functionally regrab is such a flimsy option, when in PAL and NTSC it's the damage consolidation option and generally regarded as the one you pick to emphasize consistency. But there's nothing consistent about regrabbing in PM. Finally, even if this is actually too fast to react to, you're still playing a 50-50 when I don't see why it's necessary. Other characters have amazing, consistent throws (and other combo starters). Why should Sheik be different?"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Like I said, I agree with the 50-50 of Bthrow or Dthrow being a dumb way to do things, and given the direction of CG's other characters have, but what I'm saying is for Dthrow specifically what is worse about it in P:M than in PAL? From what I understand, it's PAL angles but with less lag for Shiek. That's an improvement over PAL. She should have the same punishes, maybe a few more. If you are only looking at Dthrow, I don't see where the same consistency is lacking or how the PM Dthrow all of a sudden gives the defender more options. Which is why I asked what if Bthrow was reverted or they took away the janky throw mixup would he be happy? Would basically mean it's Shiek, but a slightly better Dthrow since she can move faster from it. It wouldn't really satisfy the desire to give her a more guaranteed throw game, but the parts about PAL Dthrow being better or more consistent or making her feel more top tier than PM Dthrow? I'm having a hard time seeing that unless I'm wrong about launch angles/some janky mechanic that floors people too early/etc.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I think the consistency issue comes in when we consider there may be DI outcomes that we don't know about due to the new KB angle (and the adjusted height of Sheik's grab box if it was adjusted in P:M, unsure if it was or not). If you DI in such a way that Sheik's best option is re-grab, then that removes a great deal of variety from her throw game (which is so central to her character). Also it very clearly is not just PAL angles but faster because Sheik does not get 50/50 b/dthrow due to the speed of the throw.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
At least I try to have actual discussions rather than lurk in the threads looking for a chance to pop up and make fun of someone. I'll admit that I'm very argumentative and some of my arguments are dumb, but at least I'm not looking for every opportunity to put someone down. Ugh, you make me sick! All this discussion and that was the only thing you could say? :glare:
I saw no productive discussion taking place, and so I saw no need to participate. But I did tell him not to make fun of you, I don't see why you're so upset :troll:

Am I setting myself up for failure and disappointment by trying to design a character to the standards of P:M without knowing how competitive play works and not having the coding knowledge of the P:M team?
Yes. Many of them already have the experience from Brawl+ to know how to make a character work properly.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If the KB angle is the same as PAL, then what new DI paths would there be, unless it's not really that angle? I could see differences due to limbs/if characters touch the ground sooner, but those would be fixed (hopefully soon) anyways.

clowsui

Smash Legend
KK's workin his magic hold on

or not? he's no longer viewing the thread any more but that might be because he's spent way long on the post lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I seem to have caused quite a stir.

I'm KirbyKaze. The best Melee Sheik main and 2nd best Sheik player for the game in the world. Good evening, gentleman.

Clow directed me here to address some of the responses people have posted here to my criticisms of the new Sheik throw model. I assure you, I only mean to provide constructive input and do not intend to step on anyone's toes. That said, I won't pretend that I like what you've done to my favourite FG character. So let's begin...

Like I said, I agree with the 50-50 of Bthrow or Dthrow being a dumb way to do things, and given the direction of CG's other characters have, but what I'm saying is for Dthrow specifically what is worse about it in P:M than in PAL? From what I understand, it's PAL angles but with less lag for Shiek. That's an improvement over PAL. She should have the same punishes, maybe a few more. If you are only looking at Dthrow, I don't see where the same consistency is lacking or how the PM Dthrow all of a sudden gives the defender more options. Which is why I asked what if Bthrow was reverted or they took away the janky throw mixup would he be happy? Would basically mean it's Shiek, but a slightly better Dthrow since she can move faster from it. It wouldn't really satisfy the desire to give her a more guaranteed throw game, but the parts about PAL Dthrow being better or more consistent or making her feel more top tier than PM Dthrow? I'm having a hard time seeing that unless I'm wrong about launch angles/some janky mechanic that floors people too early/etc.
The difference is that in PAL the Sheik understands the opponent's options as she's doing the throw and immediately assumes whatever degree of control she has over the opponent given factors like percent, character, and stage positioning. Because of this, her handler can then pick the appropriate action in response to the defender. The throw functions predictably and it gives Sheik's handler room to create strategies to combat these circumstances and attempt to enhance outcome. This is basically how the low percent game vs Peach in PAL out of d-throw has become so refined. Compared to a few years ago, the stuff that has become standardized is unreal. And further innovation is still happening (as seen in Over vs Armada from their last set). Innovation like this is largely encouraged because the throw reliably does... whatever it does... and behaves in that predictable manner, there is a consistency to the punish and players can build off that. Consistency in punishment - the reliability of her combos and finishes - is basically Sheik's defining characteristic in SSBM. This is what makes her Sheik and not Fox (Fox is the one that gets screwed by random SDI and such, not Sheik).

So in this respect, if I were in charge of PM Sheik, I would naturally gravitate towards making a throw close to PAL d-throw quality to function as her primary (and possibly sole) combo throw because it reflects the history of the character far more accurately. Sheik is one of the least random characters among the Melee playables and promotes very low variance in virtually every aspect of her game. In addition to linear design, she's also an incredibly simple character in that she plays by the conventions of traditional fighters more than the other playables. For instance: she has to respect to shield-attack-grab RPS more than any other playable. Another example? She doesn't have an ultra powerful all-purpose move that auto-counters crouch, like a shine, Falco dair, or Peach's float & d-smash suite so she has to use its direct counter (grab [I suppose one could argue needle grab, but that's ultimately a grab setup and I'd add that it's not comparable quality to those listed of the others anyway, which was one of the main points I was making - her grab is her quality anti-crouch & anti-block tool]). She has a punishable recovery that behaves predictably. Everything about Sheik in terms of mechanical structure and how she plays within the game is predictable and simple. Her throw (in both its NTSC broken glory and more subdued PAL incarnation) is the ultimate reflection of this.

In PM, this model has been changed radically. Rather than having one combo throw, she has two. Sheik can d-throw or she can b-throw. She effectively has two cards she can play. The opponent, in contrast, has DI A and DI B. DI A counters d-throw (free escape), but gets him **** comboed by b-throw. DI B is the opposite. This effectively gives the defender arguably as much say in whether they can comboed or not as the attacker because you've broken whether the throw works or not down to a 50-50 (since the defender has 2 cards, and the attacker has two cards). This shrinks if they can react to the throw animation and begins to favour the defender (this happened with Marth's f-throw and d-throw in Melee over time, except he got a consolation of creating tech chases when they DIed to escape - this may be one way to remedy her throw btw if you're really attached to the two throw model). That said, as it stands (defender with 2 cards, attacker with 2 cards) I do not feel this is good character design.

There seems to be some confusion regarding my quality analysis. I never said I'd made up my mind over which throw was better and even stated I felt that quality comparisons in the context of PAL throw vs PM throw are probably pointless. Upon reading your summation, I agree with you to some degree; PM Sheik's throw game is probably is better than the PAL one from an objective standpoint simply because the sped up d-throw is just functionally PAL d-throw with a speed buff. And I certainly can appreciate the punishment potential off the current PM throws (when it doesn't fizzle). Some of the combos look close to on par with some of my own NTSC d-throw combos (and the PM ones can probably be refined to go 0-death vs some characters). However, quality isn't the issue - it's reliability and consistency. The current PM throw game is creating a 50-50 system where there doesn't need to be one. And because of how her b-throw and d-throw work (the speed also forces Sheik's handler to respond faster out of grab - it works both ways) this invariably leads to combos fizzling prematurely. The flipside is you sometimes get a big combo but that's not how Sheik has ever functioned. She has almost always been a character of incremental advantages and building up towards a simple finisher. The current PM Sheik plays closer to Falcon, ICs, or Ganon.

When you add that her Melee playstyle doesn't transfer into this new game as smoothly as some of the other former Melee titans as a result of her method of space control being weakened in the presence of uniformly faster characters with comparable (or even superior) range to her... you wind up with a character who seems to have been nerfed heavily for no real reason. It is doubtful she's a top 5 character (I don't think she's top 10 to be honest) and I'm just not sure why she got altered to such a high degree when so many other characters in her tier group didn't. I'm not going to play dumb - I understand her CG is too powerful in Melee and polarizes gameplay in a bad way in the MUs where it's a big factor because of how badly you have to avoid it (or else) but I feel that tweaking her throw to be a watered down version of her NTSC one (that still works reliably) would have been a far better adjustment rather than putting Marth's d-throw & f-throw mixup on her. It doesn't suit her and it's troublesome to lose your combo to a good guess or reaction by the opponent. Not only is she often fighting uphill, but one of her potentially best moves for keeping pace with these characters, and a pivotal part of how she combats basic combat mechanics (crouch & shield) often just does not work simply because it has faulty mechanics. When placed in comparison to the dominant characters right now (Ike, Lucario to some degree, etc) she just seems so flimsy.

I have a lot of suggestions as to how a new throw could be made that prevents her from getting out of control. I think using Melee Doc's d-throw (or Melee GaW's d-throw) as a frame of reference for knockbacks and trajectories is a good start. For better or worse, Sheik's power as a character will invariably be heavily influenced by her grab's quality because of how much she uses her grab for (beat shield, crouch, build damage, etc) and because she has a cohesive game that allows her to condition people into giving her grab opportunities and ways of comboing into it. This is just the nature of her. That's what I care about capturing though. How she feels in Melee, but adjusted for a more balanced game. She doesn't need to be top tier, she just needs to be Sheik.

Right now, she's not Sheik.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Now that I agree with. The coinflip of Bthrow/Dthrow is silly. I think her Dthrow, as is, works fine. But, if Bthrow is changed, it would beg the question why is her Dthrow sped up when PAL worked just fine. I would be wary of modeling it like Doc/old G&W though. That kind of Dthrow is REALLY powerful and it would be scary to give a throw like that to a faster, larger grab range character like Shiek. Those throws are arguably the most mindless/easy to get punishes off of. IF the trade off was that she couldn't regrab, then maybe.

And yes I know who you are, I love you! (Slap Slap)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I find GaW's d-throw appealing because it pops FFers onto platforms at relatively low percents and the high KB causes regrabs to be impossible after low percent (40%ish). He can only CG Sheik to 40, for instance, and she has an extremely CGable weight for her native NTSC d-throw. I'm not even sure he can CG anyone else aside from FFers (but they hit platforms early [50%?], as I noted earlier so I don't see this being an issue in terms of balance in that MU).

abcool

Smash Ace
Wow, i didn't even know KK had an interest in PM. This is good, very good. Sheik does feel a little off. I don't like the sped up grab either. I am just happy her needles are toned down though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm sad her needles are nerfed. I just hope I can still actually needle > grab and it's not working just because I say it does and people believe me.

abcool

Smash Ace
The needles work the way they are suppose to. I heard the hurtboxes on them were just really small (In Melee) making it almost impossible to cancel them out, but the functionality of them should still be the same. Needle grab should work. They just won't be stupid and cancel out a full Samus charge shot and other stupid things like that

I got 2nd at a recent PM tourney (kicked out the venue so was in LF), but Link vs Wario is such a stupid matchup especially when the Link never approaches. I hate being a sellout, but i had to.

http://youtu.be/-4pybR3SkKE

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The needles work the way they are suppose to. I heard the hurtboxes on them were just really small (In Melee) making it almost impossible to cancel them out, but the functionality of them should still be the same. Needle grab should work. They just won't be stupid and cancel out a full Samus charge shot and other stupid things like that

I got 2nd at a recent PM tourney (kicked out the venue so was in LF), but Link vs Wario is such a stupid matchup especially when the Link never approaches. I hate being a sellout, but i had to.

http://youtu.be/-4pybR3SkKE
Yeah, Wario gotta put in the work lol. I dunno how long Link can CG him as well but I'm certain it's nasty

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I find GaW's d-throw appealing because it pops FFers onto platforms at relatively low percents and the high KB causes regrabs to be impossible after low percent (40%ish). He can only CG Sheik to 40, for instance, and she has an extremely CGable weight for her native NTSC d-throw. I'm not even sure he can CG anyone else aside from FFers (but they hit platforms early [50%?], as I noted earlier so I don't see this being an issue in terms of balance in that MU).
I know G&W's Melee dthrow can CG Link until about 50%, no problem

Ace55

Smash Lord
Giving her a set knockback throw that doesn't allow regrabs but still makes spacies/Falcon hit the ground probably isn't possible huh?

Probably makes 'limbo' chars like Lucas get infinited lol.

Complicated issue we've got here.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Definitely not gonna read all that but if the gist of it is basically that "Sheik is nerfed and needs to be better and probably isn't top 5 in this game", then that's just funny. Because she's most certainly at least still top 10 and her "nerfs" aren't that bad. And she doesn't need to be better. Although yes, the spacies do need to be worse.

Revven

FrankerZ
Definitely not gonna read all that but if the gist of it is basically that "Sheik is nerfed and needs to be better and probably isn't top 5 in this game", then that's just funny. Because she's most certainly at least still top 10 and her "nerfs" aren't that bad. And she doesn't need to be better. Although yes, the spacies do need to be worse.
KK's argument isn't so much about balance, it's about how Sheik is played. Sheik is focused on getting her grab where it counts and because (theoretically) she can't *always* get her Dthrow -> Fair where it matters, it hurts her and goes against what her core design is. Whereas the space animals got to keep their general playstyle and typical combos, Sheik is forced to do "new" stuff simply because she could chaingrab characters on the lower end of the spectrum.

It's more KK's concern/argument is that we changed her playstyle when space animals' playstyles didn't change at all, going against one of the stated promises of the game.

I do agree with you that she's still an amazing character even with the throw changes. But it seems we're probably going to have go back to the drawing board for her throws.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
spacies are sheiks worst nightmare, ONCE they nerf spacies (not if, god willing) im sure you'll find your complaints matter a lot less in the scheme of things.

however, nothing they can do will make sheik the optimal pick over zelda. shes too good.

Stevo

Smash Champion
It does indeed feel very non-sheik like.

it's funny in a way, but the speed of the throw actually throws it off a bunch as well. Even if she had PAL throw, it might even feel more Sheik like because it is slow. There is a lot of momentum involved in melee, and forcing someone to chill is a good advantage sometimes. They might be really getting in their groove, then you grab and maybe another off a tech chase, and maybe another, and the slowness of the throw helps slow things down, keep them playing sheiks game.

EDIT: Obviously this goes too far against some characters in melee, where sheik get's an entire stock off of one grab. (how's THAT for momentum swing)

Although, rest has that effect as well, and jiggs can get that on just about anyone.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's not. It's an argument about consistent character design approaches.

He's probably one of maybe three people in this thread that has actually said anything about character design without talking about strength or balance.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Stingers, Sheik is definitely better than Zelda. I've played the best Zeldas on the east coast.... Zelda's best move is down+b.

And I notice that when Sheik/Zelda mains play in tournament using Zelda and are having any difficulty, they immediately switch to Sheik for the remainder of the entire set. Because Sheik is a monster in P:M. She's amazing.

And giving her the old d-throw back would be a huge mistake. Because she definitely doesn't need it and she's already godlike without it.

Also, Revven/Falco400/smk: "It's more KK's concern/argument is that we changed her playstyle when space animals' playstyles didn't change at all, going against one of the stated promises of the game."

Well, imo it's time to get rid of that promise anyway. Make a new promise: create the best game possible without limiting yourselves to traditional beliefs.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I agree that it's a little out of place, but it's really important for his game.
It's only important in the context of the game that we (they (the PMBR)) have created for him. That's not to say that they couldn't design a new move that was equally as important for him, but didn't stop all the action in the match as he transfers control of himself to a projectile.

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
But what if Snake could control the Nikita the same way that Pit controls his arrows and Marth had the same hitlag modifier ( or whatever the **** Ike has that makes him safer on shields)? That would make things much more interesting if you ask me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Let's not even consider giving other characters that modifier. Ike should have it maybe on certain moves, timings, or spacings. Giving it out regardless of Fair spacing for example is just poor imo.

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
DAT modifier... I would give every character that modifier (excluding Fox and Falco) and call it Project: Modifier

If only I had the skills required to perform such high level wizardry

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
We don't say the "W" word unless referring to Magus and his clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom