• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Spacees strike again..... :smash:
Kels and I agreed to get top 2 in melee and pm at that tournament so it'd be spacies in top 2 ;)
:psycho::rotfl::roll::estatic::joyful::colorful: :laugh:

why would you? I'm not sure Shines could be redesigned in any way and even if they could. I think such designs should be saved for Project Melee Minus.
You're kidding right? There are plenty of ways in which shines could be redesigned (for better or for worse). You could make them SSB 64 shines that aren't JC-able, or you could make them vBrawl shines that can be rolled or spot-dodged out of, and JC'd, on reflect.....ooooor you could just make them so you can cancel them with any attack in the universe. :smash:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
You're kidding right? There are plenty of ways in which shines could be redesigned (for better or for worse). You could make them SSB 64 shines that aren't JC-able, or you could make them vBrawl shines that can be rolled or spot-dodged out of, and JC'd, on reflect.....ooooor you could just make them so you can cancel them with any attack in the universe. :smash:
Only you would take this seriously. Learn my humor or don't talk to me mother****er.

<3 you

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
:psycho::rotfl::roll::estatic::joyful::colorful: :laugh:

What happened to you Bubba... I remember when you first came onto the PM boards just looking for someone to play, excited and johnless save for transportation. Then you went and played with Eli and have become bitter and full of spacie hate and johns. What did he do to you? What did that monster do to you Bubba!?!?!?

Srs talk I really wanna try zamus she looks fun as all hell.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
What happened to you Bubba... I remember when you first came onto the PM boards just looking for someone to play, excited and johnless save for transportation. Then you went and played with Eli and have become bitter and full of spacie hate and johns. What did he do to you? What did that monster do to you Bubba!?!?!?
You know what, you're right. Tbh, I've always disliked the spacees, even when I only played Melee, and I was a little upset that things didn't change in P:M, but I guess I have been becoming more bitter these days. :ohwell: I guess it's time to change..... :seuss:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Spacie johns will never not be funny, Garet. I don't know how long it's been going on, but soon Bubba will not bubbak about them anymore and accept that they're just dumb because they have free full stage space control and mobility and never have to dedicate to anything. Then he can agree to give buffs to other characters to give them appropriately similar stage control/mobility/safety/coverage options.

Besides, they're still not as dumb as Falcon. At least they're actually good instead of relying 80% on dash dancing until the opponent does something dumb like approach.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ALL BUBBA DOES IS BUBBAK

Sounds like a Dr. Seuss Alien Race

One Fish
Two Fish
Red Fish
SHINE

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
By the way, I personally am not johning.
I'm simply declaring all johns about other characters illegitimate unless those johns are accompanied by spacies johns simultaneously because spacies are inarguably better than all those other johned about characters. Ike, Lucario, and especially Sonic aren't even that amazing. Ike is pretty good yea, but spacies are def way better. Same goes for Lucario. And Sonic is lol tier.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
for the record i'm not complaining. I'ts just when a character gets somthing really good they tend to lose it for a "re-design" and ness' flash looks like it may fall in that categorey. see ike up b, zelda side b, sonic side b, lucario's stuff you get the idea. granted i don't mind most of the redesigns but still ness may be next.

edit: matter o fact most of the re-designs have indeed made the game better. sonics new stuff looks so much cooler and more useful than his old side B.
Just saying, Zelda's SideB wasn't redesigned on the grounds of being "really good" before.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'd kind of hate to see fox and falco changed too much. They are the iconic characters that people remember in melee that can do crazy s***.

I'd be ok with changes similar to the PAL version and stuff like adding more landing frames to upb and removing the invincibility from shine.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Kage with the hype thrash talk.

Now let's hope he doesn't run into any Ikes.

About spacies: Changing them to PAL would make next to no difference. But it would still piss of a lot of melee spacie mains. I'm still of the opinion that bringer everyone up to around their level is the best option.

iLink

Smash Champion
ILink
It's a strong man who can openly adjust his opinion online. I believe you were once openly against changing them, not long ago?
+respect for compromise
I can't recall if I ever made my opinion public here honestly. Like I said, I'd personally hate to see them changed because of how symbolic of melee they are, and this is basically its spiritual successor.

With that being said, I can see how stupid good they can be and why some tweaks could be made.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I can't recall if I ever made my opinion public here honestly. Like I said, I'd personally hate to see them changed because of how symbolic of melee they are, and this is basically its spiritual successor.
"Symbolism" is subjective. I could say that Samus and Sheik are symbolic of Melee for me (and they are). Perhaps the spacees are 'symbolic' simply because they were always at the top. Also, "spiritual successor" does not have to equal "same as" in most aspects.

/Just Sayin'...

That being said, I want my 4th character already. :smash:

Divinokage

Smash Legend

With that being said, I can see how stupid good they can be and why some tweaks could be made.
Well a few characters will always dominate no matter how you try to balance a fighter. If you change one move from one character who knows how that affects every matchup. I'd say it's fine the way they are and everyone just needs to L2P.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Well a few characters will always dominate no matter how you try to balance a fighter. If you change one move from one character who knows how that affects every matchup. I'd say it's fine the way they are and everyone just needs to L2P.
This has no logic behind it.

Assume I balance a game of 4 characters where matchups end up like this.

Char 1 (C1 from now on, C2, C3, C4.) vs C2 = 25/75; C1 vs C3 = 50/50; C1 vs C4 = 75/25.

C2 vs C3: 25/75; C2 vs C4 50/50.

C3 vs C4 75/25.

These are all reasonable matchups, and even with a +/- 10/10 on all of them (50/50 - 40/60 or 60-40, for instance.) You will have little domination without outside imbalance.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Stuff like 25-75 MUs everywhere is balancing to extremes, which is a terrible thing nobody in their right mind should do. It's why 2.1 sonic was a mess, he either bodied right through some characters or would be damn near useless against others.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Stuff like 25-75 MUs everywhere is balancing to extremes, which is a terrible thing nobody in their right mind should do. It's why 2.1 sonic was a mess, he either bodied right through some characters or would be damn near useless against others.
It's not a great design approach, but you can replace 25 and 75 with 40 60 if you would like. You still get the same result.

I just used those numbers to make it easier to understand while writing it.

It should be noted with 60/40 instead of 75/25 the game looks REALLY balanced.

Stevo

Smash Champion
nobody even can agree as to what 25-75 even means, so why are we even discussing these things?

75-25 to me would be like Falco vs DK or Sheik vs Bowser in melee. imo. So any game with 4 characters that has 2 matchups that bad would not seem balanced to me lol.

What Kage said was relatively accurate. When he says "Dominate" what he means is that there will always be 1 or more best character(s) in a game. You will never be able to balance it perfectly.

Edit: also hype for the Stream tonight

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Polarizing design is never fun for any party involved. Like Zelda is "If you don't get walled out by her dumb anti airs you can just use one move repeatedly to get through her stuff."

Sheik Ganon is like a +3 matchup and both are high/okay characters.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Polarizing design is never fun for any party involved. Like Zelda is "If you don't get walled out by her dumb anti airs you can just use one move repeatedly to get through her stuff."

Sheik Ganon is like a +3 matchup.
It's dependant on the community playing the game. Having a game be like my original example exemplifies character choice, which is probably an inferior game design direction, I'll agree.

nobody even can agree as to what 25-75 even means, so why are we even discussing these things?

75-25 to me would be like Falco vs DK or Sheik vs Bowser in melee. imo. So any game with 4 characters that has 2 matchups that bad would not seem balanced to me lol.

What Kage said was relatively accurate. When he says "Dominate" what he means is that there will always be 1 or more best character(s) in a game. You will never be able to balance it perfectly.
Not logically correct. Rock Paper Scissors is perfectly balanced, as is my example above.

It may not be the BEST way to make a game perfectly balanced, but it IS perfectly balanced.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Yeah what he said. There's never been a perfectly balanced fighting game to ever exist, and you're never ever going to completely get matchups down when making one, because over time someone's going to some sort of tech that can range from making a matchup slightly easier, to outright changing the entire metagame. Remember, melee took a few years before characters who were not sheik were considered top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom