• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Rookie
Guys, just wanted to let you know I love this, completely. I will have to take like a month off of school when the full release comes.

One thing I love is what you've done with Lucas. I've never liked playing as Ness in Melee or Ness or Lucas in Brawl, so upon getting the demo, I stayed away from Lucas figuring he'd play like Melee Ness.

I was wrong. I love Lucas, I love Offense Up, for the 1st time I actually love being a PSI Kid.

Btw: In case anyone was wondering Classic works properly, for the most part. It loaded non-P:M characters from the disc and P:M characters in their new versions.

Also, Giant Olimar loaded correctly on SSE Jungle while, curiously, Master Hand loaded on Brawl FD. Clearly Master Hand's Residence is loaded from a different place than FD.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
they arent as drastic because the roster is smaller
i could probably take a subset of the brawl tier list centred around upper-mid tier and get 12 characters as balanced as or more than s64...
The physics contributes to 64's balance not just the small number of characters on the roster. Almost every character has the possibility of punishing you with a zero death combo if you make a mistake. I do not see any 0 death combos in brawl. Not saying they do not exist I just have not seen one.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Erm... then it would just make it so the best character is the one with the safest moves/who can most easily initiate an infinite.

Smash 64's balance has nothing to do with the physics, it's purely the lack of characters and decreased options.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Guys, just wanted to let you know I love this, completely. I will have to take like a month off of school when the full release comes.

One thing I love is what you've done with Lucas. I've never liked playing as Ness in Melee or Ness or Lucas in Brawl, so upon getting the demo, I stayed away from Lucas figuring he'd play like Melee Ness.

I was wrong. I love Lucas, I love Offense Up, for the 1st time I actually love being a PSI Kid.

Btw: In case anyone was wondering Classic works properly, for the most part. It loaded non-P:M characters from the disc and P:M characters in their new versions.

Also, Giant Olimar loaded correctly on SSE Jungle while, curiously, Master Hand loaded on Brawl FD. Clearly Master Hand's Residence is loaded from a different place than FD.
The stage that the bosses are on are different stages that are in pf/stage/adventure

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Erm... then it would just make it so the best character is the one with the safest moves/who can most easily initiate an infinite.

Smash 64's balance has nothing to do with the physics, it's purely the lack of characters and decreased options.
Pikachu in Super Smash Bros. 64 Has hands down the best recovery (Invincible for most of his Up B) Has an absurd grab range, Uair chains of death, Loads of WTF combos, great mobility, and over all match ups that could be argued to be better than Metaknight's (Like I said debatable). He certainly has no bad match ups, can easily combo people to death, safe options, and a stupidly good recovery. I think the only condition he is missing for the top tier that you put down would be the infinite condition.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

Pikachu in Super Smash Bros. 64 Has hands down the best recovery (Invincible for most of his Up B) Has an absurd grab range, Uair chains of death, Loads of WTF combos, great mobility, and over all match ups that could be argued to be better than Metaknight's (Like I said debatable). He certainly has no bad match ups, can easily combo people to death, safe options, and a stupidly good recovery. I think the only condition he is missing for the top tier that you put down would be the infinite condition.
Infinite is the wrong word, not sure why I said it. I meant 0 > death. What I under-lined is an example of that.

And boasting about Smash 64's balance and then showing everyone a character who might be WORSE than Meta Knight is counter-productive on your end. ;)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
64 Pikachu isn't worse than MK as Pikachu and be comboed(Ask Fox, Kirby, and Falcon, or most of the 64 roster) and cannot abuse his recovery to stall.

Moving on, I hope things go well for the patch.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
And boasting about Smash 64's balance and then showing everyone a character who might be WORSE than Meta Knight is counter-productive on your end. ;)
LOL, true that, true that. It is still really balanced though, what makes most of the low tiers, well, low tier is, generally speaking, one painful weakness, it is not normally a lack of combos. For an example Links recovery is sometimes so bad it is painful to watch, (Especially because Edge Guarding is not as risky in SSB64 as it is in melee, generally speaking of course it is match up dependent).

Edit: Ninja'd

leelue

Smash Lord
Yes, I have been very surprised with ganon. I kept saying that every kill he has is an enemy mistake (techroll away? Die, si vous plait), but he has proven me wrong. He and Sheik are my backup characters, after sonic.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Bad, poorly balanced fighting games (like Blazblue) buff their strong points. From CT to CS, did Ragna get better mixup? Nope, but he could rush harder! Did Tager get an answer to full-screen players? Nope, but damn did his close-up game get improved. Note that those clowns don't do well on there.
Ragna is A tier in CS <_<.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Except that he went from kind of okay to top 3.

Litchi is another example of strengths getting stronger and making a character ****. Her corner oki went from pretty amazing to "why does this character exist" and she jumped like 4 tiers.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
O.o.

Despite BB being offtopic...

Ragna isn't top 3. He WAS top 3, but now he isn't.

BBCS1 Tier List : THE FINAL CHAPTER

Go check Dustloop for why he isn't top 3.

TLDR : Yes he does have braindead comboes for awesome damage, but he has crap mixup and all that etc etc.

And I'm surprised CS2 Arakune hasn't come up yet.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
O.o.

Despite BB being offtopic...

Ragna isn't top 3. He WAS top 3, but now he isn't.

BBCS1 Tier List : THE FINAL CHAPTER

Go check Dustloop for why he isn't top 3.

TLDR : Yes he does have braindead comboes for awesome damage, but he has crap mixup and all that etc etc.

And I'm surprised CS2 Arakune hasn't come up yet.
damn I don't go to dustloop enough Q_Q.

How's his placement in CS2 so far (with his new stupid safe deadspike?) Because once again, he's got crap mixups ect, ect, but even better rush down and I wanna hear how he's doing.

Yes this is now a topic about blazblue :p.

Ugg

Smash Champion
I'm having some odd BRSTM issues. The song will play fine, and then at some point it'll become staticy however I can hear some remnants of other BRSTMs I have on my Wii in a mesh of unpleasant noise. And sometimes, the song will go back to normal after a while of the racket. Not sure what's happening here. Is it Project M, or the BRSTMs?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I'm having some odd BRSTM issues. The song will play fine, and then at some point it'll become staticy however I can hear some remnants of other BRSTMs I have on my Wii in a mesh of unpleasant noise. And sometimes, the song will go back to normal after a while of the racket. Not sure what's happening here. Is it Project M, or the BRSTMs?
It would be your BRSTMs fault. Defrag your sd card, it will fix the issue.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
I actually had that problem a few days ago. I just assigned the BRSTM the ID of a different track on that stage, and it fixed the problem, so it could work for you too maybe.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Haha Ragna actually got worse in CS2.

You remember all those gdlk 4k double BE comboes? all gone =(.

Dead Spike is improved, you can combo off it pretty well now, but its still not "safe". If people see it coming they can actually jump over the hitbox and hit you.

And yea his rushdown seems better. Looks like it pushes opponent more. Many attacks are also a lot safer now because a lot of attacks went up a level or so, + IBing is now only -3 frames instead of -5. In short, its harder to reversal people now.

Other stuff got nerfed, some got buffed, etc etc

Overall weaker.

Ragna CS2 General Discussion

Lists most of the changes. Including Frame Data. (BE now has 10% repeat proration rofl)

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Happened in vBrawl, I believe, with a bunch of different attacks. Probably worth fixing, if possible, just so the naysayers can't harp on it, though it doesn't really affect the game too much.

I was thinking: Does anyone here have any musical talent? C'mon, there were, like, 300 people here for the demo release! A
Project: M needs a theme!
Something that represents the game. Something with Melee's at the core, taking aspects from 64 and Brawl, but is still fresh and new. Something epic, but not pretentious. Most importantly, something one can fight to.
There should definitely be an instrumental version, but if someone writes lyrics, I could traduce them to Latin, if that's the direction they wish to take.
Any support?

shanus

Smash Hero
Just wanted to announce:

Our patch will not be out prior to Pound. Magus has been wizard-like and made a lot of great, subtle adjustments.

However, the Pound tournament will be using our latest files with all the bug fixes, so the tournament should be using a relatively bug free build :)

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Happened in vBrawl, I believe, with a bunch of different attacks. Probably worth fixing, if possible, just so the naysayers can't harp on it, though it doesn't really affect the game too much.

I was thinking: Does anyone here have any musical talent? C'mon, there were, like, 300 people here for the demo release! A
Project: M needs a theme!
Something that represents the game. Something with Melee's at the core, taking aspects from 64 and Brawl, but is still fresh and new. Something epic, but not pretentious. Most importantly, something one can fight to.
There should definitely be an instrumental version, but if someone writes lyrics, I could traduce them to Latin, if that's the direction they wish to take.
Any support?
Unless you're talking bout using the cape to increase the knock back of certain moves in normal Brawl... I'm pretty sure this isn't the same.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Wow, sonic is fast (I know it is like saying cows go moooo)

Seriously though Project M Sonic can out run the Big Blue Track WITHOUT the Curry and the Bunny Hood.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Just wanted to announce:

Our patch will not be out prior to Pound. Magus has been wizard-like and made a lot of great, subtle adjustments.

However, the Pound tournament will be using our latest files with all the bug fixes, so the tournament should be using a relatively bug free build :)
does this mean we will get a.....very much up to date build? rather than just the small bugs that were said to be fixed?

DJ Xero

Smash Cadet
Ragna is A tier in CS <_<.
You take away the problem with the statement Deathscythe had in the first place. He didn't get things to cover his weak spots. He only solidified his spot on the tier list. The characters that got points covering their weak spots are the ones in S and A tier.

The point is that doing tier flips is a good thing. Be open to change.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
The point is that doing tier flips is a good thing. Be open to change.
What if you're riding a dolphin? Is it ok to do flips and ****?

I mean the splashing and getting everybody all wet might piss someone off...

For srs though. All I'm gonna say is, if it's not game breaking then why change it? Marth and Falco's spikes compliment they're gameplay and Falcon and Ganon's are so situational/underused that it's not worth mentioning. I could understand if those four were on top ONLY because of their spikes but they're not...

Vigilante

Smash Lord
We're open to change, but only change for the best. Balancing down characters simply serves to annoy the players. As long as a character is not "broken", the is no need to nerf them. Bring the weak to par, and you should be fine.

And Blazblue and Guilty Gear are not really models of balance from a Jin/Ky player's perspective. I mean, bad characters getting worse is not very good balance. Especially when you're fighting characters like Testament who is actually broken. The gap in power is too great. No matter how good my Ky is, I will never beat a "decent" Testament because my Ky is limited in potential. It just turns out that my character limit can be surpassed with Testament with little skill. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are actually doing it wrong. They are making top tiers into bottoms or lows.

The project M guys took the best approach. Use the top as a basis and bring the weak up. Now everyone is going to be a match for one another. And the great thing about it is that the "tiers" will actually be much closer. The Bottom tier will be the equivalent of a Melee High Tier while the top tier will be the equivalent of Melee Top tier. In other words, translated into Melee, you can say that characters will range from High to Top. This is fairly impressive.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Well, it's an impressive hypothetical goal. It's not certain how this will all pan out, but it is the best course of action. And I think they'll do a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom