• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kati

Smash Lord
Question:

Has anyone considered Sonic's up-B being replaced? As Wario no long has his bike, I was thinking for consistency's sake that he shouldn't have a spring pop out of nowhere. His spin moves seem to be able to get some distance, so I can easily see them being edited to serve as a recovery or have a new up-B be a fourth spin attack.

I don't like even like sonic, so don't think that I am complaining about his design.

Just an idea.

leelue

Smash Lord
As a sonic main, I disagree. spring is fine; it is functional and fair. it gimps but it is hell to sweetspot and doesn't protect you.
Also, Wario was overhauled since his character needed to be. Sonic was built to **** in melee.

DJ Xero

Smash Cadet
We're open to change, but only change for the best. Balancing down characters simply serves to annoy the players. As long as a character is not "broken", the is no need to nerf them. Bring the weak to par, and you should be fine.

And Blazblue and Guilty Gear are not really models of balance from a Jin/Ky player's perspective. I mean, bad characters getting worse is not very good balance. Especially when you're fighting characters like Testament who is actually broken. The gap in power is too great. No matter how good my Ky is, I will never beat a "decent" Testament because my Ky is limited in potential. It just turns out that my character limit can be surpassed with Testament with little skill. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are actually doing it wrong. They are making top tiers into bottoms or lows.

The project M guys took the best approach. Use the top as a basis and bring the weak up. Now everyone is going to be a match for one another. And the great thing about it is that the "tiers" will actually be much closer. The Bottom tier will be the equivalent of a Melee High Tier while the top tier will be the equivalent of Melee Top tier. In other words, translated into Melee, you can say that characters will range from High to Top. This is fairly impressive.
You are talking to a Guilty Gear Pro. I can guarantee I will beat you with your own character. Ky is a solid character, and compared to the rest of the cast, has a better chance against Testament. That match is 100% even. The problem is that you don't know how to move in that match, and can't be patient, while he tries to EXE Beast you. I play with Anji, arguably the third worst character in the game. I can beat every character you throw at me. Not because I don't have bad matchups (look at Millia or May) but because I know the situations that occur well enough to understand my wheel of options.

If you've played Guilty Gear at a high level, you'd realize that the tier list is irrelevant at this point in time. Testament and Eddie ARE better than the rest of the cast. Johnny and Bridget, argued to be the worst, still managed to get second at the 2009 SBO. For those of you who don't know SBO is effectively the olympics of fighting games. Sure a Testament was ON the winning team, but it was a VENOM that beat each of them. Venom isn't above mid tier in AC.

Also, Ky was the strongest Character is the previous iteration of Guilty Gear, and Jin has never been below A tier. The problem that you're running into is that you don't have a high enough understanding of either game to really understand why either character was good or bad. All you know is that you read on one or two message boards that characters got nerfs (which for Ky was absolutely necessary, for how incredibly dumb he was in Slash, and for Jin was a decrease in damage and unintentional mixup)

If you want to talk about a game that's unbalanced, sure Blazblue is the place to be. There are inherent problems. That's why it was brought up in the first place. By keeping the bad parts of a character ON THE CHARACTER, you generally make for bad balance, as BlazBlue shows.

Guilty Gear on the other hand, tampers with the characters and really messes with everything about them. It realizes what makes a character good and tweaks with everything about a character, and on their fourth iteration have made what is probably the single most balanced game ever made (aside from single character fighters like Street Fighter 1). Disagree? Ask anyone who has ever played the game with any regard. The tiers in GG aren't like a Street Fighter or a Smash game. Smash works like MVC2. You have 5 or 6 real choices in characters. Roy? Pichu? Mewtwo? Not one of them can stand against a good Falco, Marth, or Jigglypuff. Guilty Gear? It's not uncommon for a Bridget to beat Testament. Eddie can lose to Johnny pretty easy.

Learn what you're actually talking about before you open your mouth next time.

Omega Muffin said:
For srs though. All I'm gonna say is, if it's not game breaking then why change it? Marth and Falco's spikes compliment they're gameplay and Falcon and Ganon's are so situational/underused that it's not worth mentioning. I could understand if those four were on top ONLY because of their spikes but they're not...
The reason spikes are inherently bad are because a system to combat the spikes from N64 were introduced IN MELEE. Meteor Cancels exist because killing someone at 10% with a Kirby D-Air was ********. Falco and Marth can EASILY do the same crap in Melee, but because people have played with those characters for the last 10 years, for some reason it's OK for them to have them. Has anyone thought about this: Why not SEE what happens if you change them to a meteor? Why not see what new situations can arise from it? Why not actually make an attempt to change the game instead of trying to recreate a game that I bought when I was 13.

I know a lot of people don't like me for attempting to put actual input on things that are inherently wrong with the balance of Melee. True spikes were ******** 10 years ago. Just because you're trying to make something CLOSE to what you did in 6th grade doesn't mean you can't muck around with some of the characters. God forbid, it might make you actually have to relearn some of the characters and make you a better player for observing newer and more interesting situations as opposed to the same situations you saw back in 2001.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The reason spikes are inherently bad are because a system to combat the spikes from N64 were introduced IN MELEE. Meteor Cancels exist because killing someone at 10% with a Kirby D-Air was ********. Falco and Marth can EASILY do the same crap in Melee, but because people have played with those characters for the last 10 years, for some reason it's OK for them to have them. Has anyone thought about this: Why not SEE what happens if you change them to a meteor? Why not see what new situations can arise from it? Why not actually make an attempt to change the game instead of trying to recreate a game that I bought when I was 13.
Want to know the main difference? Kirby's Dair had next to no endlag on it, the spike hitbox was out forever, and he had five jumps to make it back. Falco absolutely CANNOT afford to use Dair offstage because of his high fall speed. Marth's Dair has horrendous endlag on it making it very risky to use offstage. Compare that to all of the other meteors in the game which have a little startup lag and also little endlag. Those two moves were definitely not randomly given spikes.

Also, for the bolded part, it's Melee 2.0 so you're making a ridiculous statement. I hope you didn't make the bad mistake of missing out on a couple of things Brawl added that every character can make use of.

By the way, how can you not already see the huge problems in making Falco's Dair a meteor? Pillar combos, a core part of his game, could be very easily escaped and almost immediately punished.

But beyond all this crap, I'm so surprised that the topic of spikes has gotten under such scrutiny even though it barely makes a ****ing difference when it exists on four moves, two of which make sense because of their inherent risks and the other two being quirks that you're unlikely to land anyways. shanus also already pointed out that meteors are overall stronger than the four spikes to balance their meteor cancel properties versus the spike's hitstun.

I know a lot of people don't like me for attempting to put actual input on things that are inherently wrong with the balance of Melee. True spikes were ******** 10 years ago. Just because you're trying to make something CLOSE to what you did in 6th grade doesn't mean you can't muck around with some of the characters. God forbid, it might make you actually have to relearn some of the characters and make you a better player for observing newer and more interesting situations as opposed to the same situations you saw back in 2001.
Again, an explicitly minor problem that's mostly justified and not worth changing given that the change is hardly worth the backlash especially given how little it will do.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
This converstaion is headed in the wrong direction and I dont think anyone is going to change anyone else's mind.
Its kind of unclear what the public is going to receive in terms of a patch. Can there be some clarification on this?

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
the outlook of project m is to cater to melee players, as well as make a game enjoyable to competitive players everywhere. project m rocks

Revan Skywalker

Smash Cadet
Ok I need some help for WiFi.

I have a PAL Wii but I installed Homebrew and stuff and can play Project M. No Issues, textures, music, everything works fine.

Then I wanted to play my friend over Wifi - he also has a PAL Wii with Project M.

The first match was without any problem, but during the second match my game froze in the Wifi waiting room.

I restarted my Wii and we tried again, it froze in the wifi room again.

I unplugged my Wii, plugged it back in and we played another Match without freezing. Second match the freeze was back.

Any ideas what the problem is? We have the same codeset, and we picked the same stages and the same buffer. Is there a WiFi bug or something?
please help :(

The reason spikes are inherently bad are because a system to combat the spikes from N64 were introduced IN MELEE. Meteor Cancels exist because killing someone at 10% with a Kirby D-Air was ********. Falco and Marth can EASILY do the same crap in Melee, but because people have played with those characters for the last 10 years, for some reason it's OK for them to have them.
For someone with such arrogance, you certainly show a lack of understanding about what makes Falco and Marth good. The idea that their spikes are broken for the purpose of edgeguarding is simply wrong. In both cases, they aren't even the character's best options.

If you're getting killed at 10% by a Falco/Marth spike, you screwed up big. You deserve to lose a stock.

Has anyone thought about this: Why not SEE what happens if you change them to a meteor? Why not see what new situations can arise from it? Why not actually make an attempt to change the game instead of trying to recreate a game that I bought when I was 13.
Because fixing what isn't broken just because some people complain is pretty much the exact wrong way to balance anything, and in Marth's case, there is actual data to support that Marth losing his spike changed precisely nothing in terms of his overall effectiveness.

Spikes aren't broken. They have never been broken. Change your character or strategy to avoid getting killed so quickly.

Setting aside that spikes aren't overpowered, let us assume for a minute that you are not simply a very vocal minority, and that changing these moves would not result in a community backlash. So the tier list is jumbled, and moves that are "too good" are changed.

So, now the project has no control group, veterans lose 10 years of metagame development, and hundreds more revisions and man hours are wasted fixing something that simply was not necessary to fix. Hours of volunteers. Many with jobs, all with other obligations to deal with.

So you see, it's much easier to tell people to learn to recover.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I love how you think that spikes are objectively and inherently bad and are backing this up with the evidence that they "KO at 10%, which is ********".

Someone needs to learn about a little thing called "opinion".

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I love how everyone in this thread begins sentences about things they actually don't love at all with "I love how...." :bee:

Ecks

Smash Lord
So what's up with wolf guys? any good ideas for him? what's been decided on his shine, will it be as versatile as fox/falco's?

/questions

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
So what's up with wolf guys? any good ideas for him? what's been decided on his shine, will it be as versatile as fox/falco's?

/questions
Currently, for his shine, it acts like Fox 64's shine where you land and it land cancels. This was shown off a few times on JCaesar's streams.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I love how you think that spikes are objectively and inherently bad and are backing this up with the evidence that they "KO at 10%, which is ********".

Someone needs to learn about a little thing called "opinion".
Honestly the argument against his is not much different: 'I love how others may think that spikes are objectively and inherently good and are backing this up with the evidence that "even though they KO at 10%, they are not broken and so should not be fixed".'

Although I'm somewhat neutral on this matter, I should mention that some PAL players were indignant about the NTSC meteor smashes as well, stating it would have been better if the properties of the moves in the PAL version were used, similar to the changes made to Sheik's Dthrow.

:053:

Sterowent

Smash Ace
i wouldn't use him as a driving force in an argument if i were you. the guy's off his rocker, even if he has a point. best have someone more reliable take on those subjects if they are to be discussed intelligently.

the idea to me goes along the lines of: if a character has a tool unregulated like its relatives and in this making it superior, then it should be realigned to fit as the others do. is this the point?

i don't see how this is a problem. as has been pointed out, going offstage to use these abilities is a genuine risk to the character. in fact, observing this, more moves have been changed to spikes to rectify this situation for other characters. what's wrong with characters having superior options breaking away from the pattern?

Ecks

Smash Lord
Currently, for his shine, it acts like Fox 64's shine where you land and it land cancels. This was shown off a few times on JCaesar's streams.
Thanks monk. Can't say I know much about n64 fox and his shine tho so we'll see.

Looking forward to wolf, ness and zss. And if zelda's any indication, you guys are doing great.

IYM!

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvuV7aGtPMo

just want to point out that Link M is better than the Link played in this video.

So if a melee link can play at that level, get hype for all you link players
thanks, i already know that, but is good remember it, i am so happy now, P:M is the second in do a great Link (BBrawl Link is realy good too)

Sakurai, i hope you watch P:M Link and take notes :cool::link2::cool:

DJ Xero

Smash Cadet
Pillar combos, a core part of his game, could be very easily escaped and almost immediately punished.
Before people were doing the Pillar Falco was still considered one of the best characters in the game. YOU should learn how the game has progressed, and WHY characters have been good. The best characters in Melee have always been the fastest or least punishable characters (AKA, Jiggs may not be as quick as Falco or Marth, but she has the ability to just tear you apart without any real repercussions.

The problem that people don't see is that the spikes AREN'T what make the characters broken. Removing them is something that makes for interesting and emergent gameplay. I would expect people who spend their time playing these games to really understand that. The characters however ARE broken. Removing the Spikes makes for more situations, and forces the player to think a little bit more.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Ulevo did you ever upload that video of you playing Project M with all the custom stages/textures/music?

Also, I know I'd be interested if you uploaded your Brawl folder to a filesharing site for convenient downloading.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'm going to stop discussing with DJ. A so-called pro who says that Jin has never been below A tiers in Blazblue, considering that in the latest iteration, he's B tiers, and very low in that tier. When trying to sound smart, please get your facts straight.

And while I am not a pro Ky player in Guilty Gear, I've seen my share of Testaments dominating. Furthermore, my argument had nothing to do with how the current balance is but how they are approaching balance currently. Making bad characters worse and strong characters stonger is a lame approach.

Now you are wasting my time by first, twisting my words, thus changing the actual question we tried to discuss to something that has nothing to do with the original discussion. Second, you get your facts wrong. Third, please trust the devs. They will make some unpopular decisions, of course, because EVERYONE wants their characters to get better and other characters to get worse than theirs. If they listened to everyone, we'd get Brawl + all over again.

ZING!

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
The problem that people don't see is that the spikes AREN'T what make the characters broken. Removing them is something that makes for interesting and emergent gameplay. I would expect people who spend their time playing these games to really understand that. The characters however ARE broken. Removing the Spikes makes for more situations, and forces the player to think a little bit more.
So, you're saying that those characters who have spikes aren't "broken" because of them. But you think they should removed because, in your mind, it would force "the player to think a little more."

Sorry, but that's incredibly arbitrary reasoning for a change. Taking spikes out would only make those characters worse, and yet does nothing to address whatever it is you think makes those characters "broken." Put bluntly, this is like prescribing Viagra for a woman's ear infection.

And in general, I don't think you agree with the goal of Project M if you insist that the Melee top tiers will be "broken" in it. They don't seem to be in the demo relative to the rest of the roster, so far as we know at least.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Honestly the argument against his is not much different: 'I love how others may think that spikes are objectively and inherently good and are backing this up with the evidence that "even though they KO at 10%, they are not broken and so should not be fixed".'
Erm... that means that there is no evidence either way and the status quo should be maintained. :/

i wouldn't use him as a driving force in an argument if i were you. the guy's off his rocker, even if he has a point. best have someone more reliable take on those subjects if they are to be discussed intelligently.
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess.

The problem that people don't see is that the spikes AREN'T what make the characters broken. Removing them is something that makes for interesting and emergent gameplay.
Slippery slope fallacy. If we change one thing to make gameplay even slightly more "interesting" and "emergent", we therefore have to change the game until it is as interesting as we can make it to avoid a double-standard.

Game, set, match.

I would expect people who spend their time playing these games to really understand that. The characters however ARE broken. Removing the Spikes makes for more situations, and forces the player to think a little bit more.
Define broken. They don't "break" the game in the sense that they are uncompetitive or heavily marginalizing depth or skill. So what exactly do you mean by broken?

leelue

Smash Lord
Completely off topic from the spike discussion, I'm a proud parent!
Not an actual baby (i wouldn't be proud, seeing as how my mate would probably be hideous, ha), but my videos are getting mild notice. So happy...

And I am Anti-spike only for Martha. Falco dies like a sea monkey, and his spike doesn't go under the stage if the enemy sweet spots. It punctuates his high risk/reward style.
Martha, on the other hand is just an outstanding character who really doesn't need it, while also is able to use it a) without harm to his body and b) around sweet spotting.
I am against it, but not strongly enough to debate it. If it was replaced by a meteor, I'd smile. If not, I'd deal with it. Sonic recovers from it anyway :b

Also
GrimFandango (sorry, its how I know you), the slippery slope argument is a profoundly good one. There will always be a best move in the game. Can't nerf them all.

DJ Xero

Smash Cadet
Do you understand what a slippery slope is? Because THIS:

Slippery slope fallacy. If we change one thing to make gameplay even slightly more "interesting" and "emergent", we therefore have to change the game until it is as interesting as we can make it to avoid a double-standard.
is a slippery slope. What I was saying is that spikes are only on 4 characters. The game implemented Meteors in the first place to remove easy kills that people like Kirby, Ness, and Captain Falcon had in 64. For whatever reason (more than likely glitches/lack of caring) they stayed in on specific characters.

In Project M, Marth's spike hits almost regardless. With the way DI in it works makes the Ken combo even harder to get out of. The problem with Falco's spike is that at low percentages, he can do simple throw, tech-chase combos that kill at about 30%. It's not like Melee because how the system deals with DI, it makes it a lot tighter on the DI and makes a forced spike a lot easier to do.

Define broken. They don't "break" the game in the sense that they are uncompetitive or heavily marginalizing depth or skill. So what exactly do you mean by broken?
Fox, Falco, Marth and Shiek are the some of the fastest characters in the game. They also all have great aerials, great throw range and throws, incredibly quick and abusable moves, and can all kill at low percentages. They all have some of the better recoveries in the game, and are harder to gimp. They also have some of the best potential to gimp other characters. They have the ability to play pretty much the same in nearly every matchup. They have situations they can force one of two choices, and have some of the easiest/safest edgeguarding in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom