• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelue

Smash Lord
I don't use metal cavern since its so incredibly one sided in some matchups (marth), and the slopes mess with a lot of things (zelda up bs, wavedash length).

I want to use jungle, since I prefer it to dreamland.

I love rumble falls. A lot.

And temple m I'm on the fence about. Time will tell for me on that one. Good strategic thinking goes into playing there, but it can get a little frustrating dealing with that random slope on the left and what not.

Also, I saw a version of skyworld with the platforms on the clouds (aka ledges on the sides). For what reason was this not used?

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Talking about large characters, how developers plan on making them viable? Being large is a weakness by itself, what are they receiving to compensate?

For example, Falco's Blasters are hell to deal with large characters. Are you guys drawing inspiration from other fighting games, like Street Fighter's Zangief?

The main problem of large characters is their impossibility to approach without being hit. Zagief has some moves that make him advance while allowing him to ignore knockback (not damage).

I know this resembles Smash's Armor, but the difference is coupling it with an approach move. For example, Raptor Boost, in Melee, allowed C.Falcon to dodge a projectile while approaching. If used with perfect timing, he could avoid any projectile and throw his enemies to the air, were he could combo them.

A friend of mine once suggested that Bowser, due to his size, should have immunity to Grabs, at least from characters smaller than him (Donkey and Ganon excluded). This was just a wild idea, but sounds like fun anyway.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually hate SV and FD. MC is my most played "neutral" followed by Temple:M.

I play Snake, btw.

Revven

FrankerZ
Also, I saw a version of skyworld with the platforms on the clouds (aka ledges on the sides). For what reason was this not used?
Because they cause strange things to occur with ledge grabs. For instance, if you Up B recover to one of those plats (in the middle, not directly towards the ledge), chances are that you'll grab the ledge even though you were well in front of it potentially putting the person in a spot they didn't want to be in. Among other strange ledge shenanigans that really make it a... pain to play on.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
^ Monk, please don't start this pointless argument. It won't go anywhere good. Everyone in this thread already knows that Grim has weird opinions on stages (though I am kinda curious if it's just a Grim thing, or a more general Australia thing).

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
^ Monk, please don't start this pointless argument. It won't go anywhere good. Everyone in this thread already knows that Grim has weird opinions on stages (though I am kinda curious if it's just a Grim thing, or a more general Australia thing).
Ah right. Him and Onett. :embarrass: I still want to try out the Onett "fixes" such as widening the stage out and stuff. I'll probably work on it when I get time to unless one of you PM followers would like to do it for me! :D

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
As far as stages go, I play on any of them that don't have damaging stage collisions. I get bored playing the same stage too often.

EDIT: Has anyone elso seen Mewtwo2000's work on Planet Zebes? It looks amazing despite the fondue acid. Team should include it in the finished product.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Just finished watching shanus's stream. That Lucario stuff was awesome, but I gotta say my favorite part was Shortline repeatedly failing to recover with ROB's godlike recovery and raging about it :laugh:

IYM!

Smash Lord
This is a troll post, right?
nop, it isn't, i mean, Lylat is pretty OK if we compare it with PS2, Distant planet, Kongo jungle ,the only bad thing is the movement of the ship, that sometimes ruin our tactics,like planking or edgeguarding.

of course than the most neutral stages of brawl are FD BF SV and YI, but, between the counter list stages, Lylat is more neutral IMO

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
nop, it isn't, i mean, Lylat is pretty OK
Lylat was made by the same troll who created Melee's BF. It has the edges of BF, and on top of that, it moves...

Sucessful Smash-Troll is Sucessful!

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Just seen Lucaryu. I like, I like =)
Should give him something fresh and unique from the other cast of Brawl characters

Soooo anything on Wolf lately? I rarely ever see anyone mention him at all or see him in streams.

shanus

Smash Hero
Just finished watching shanus's stream. That Lucario stuff was awesome, but I gotta say my favorite part was Shortline repeatedly failing to recover with ROB's godlike recovery and raging about it :laugh:
He actually loved ROB at the end. I think it was more him not knowing how to use ROB for a while that caused the rage.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about Luca-Ryu, I've imagined a Smash were all characters were able to accumulate 'aura' and realease a special attack.

Being a spacies player, I'm kinda jealous of him now... :D

leelue

Smash Lord
If the aura system can be copied to other traits like it appears to have been for procaryu, as well as be moved to additional characters, could it be possible to have characters with various variables matter?

Things like how long their lifespan has been, damage accumulated, last attack used, etc. Anything to make more things matter, I say.

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
Things like how long their lifespan has been, damage accumulated, last attack used, etc. Anything to make more things matter, I say.
Cool idea for some other mod. Obviously it would be a bad idea to implement here at this point.

:phone:

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Wario already uses something like 'life-spam meter' for the fart, it is more like a time-meter though.

Bowser could use one that grew-up everytime he absorbed knockback with one of his heavy armor moves, making him angrier! >D

Cool idea for some other mod. Obviously it would be a bad idea to implement here at this point.
Even though those ideas can't be implemented, some other idea might spring from them. It never hurts to brainstorm a little.

leelue

Smash Lord
@rock
Not necessarily. Not all characters are done, and differentiating characters is something the crew will have to do anyway. I was pointing towards the aura system as a tool that could be used to do so (assuming it can be manipulated to care about varaiables that work well)
if they want

It could be something simple. Say a move that keeps track of how many times it hit successfully this life. Just a random idea.

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
I get that, but I feel that every character having a "gimmick" in this way would be moving towards B- territory.

Besides, who would possibly even get something like that? Other than Dedede, Olimar, and Ivysaur it seems every character has a basic working framework at this point, even they have a long way to go before being totally finished.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I've been seeing all this LucaRyu talk, and even watched some of the stream footage but I still haven't found a post explaining his differences on how he plays. From what I've read, he gains aura but I'm not sure how and what it does. I've seen people say he'd need a command list and I saw him do a spinning kick similar to ryu's in the stream so I'm guessing that you could do a quarter circle back to perform a special ryu kick once your aura is full enough? It'd just be nice for me to fully understand what I'm watching with an explanation of how he plays.

Revven

FrankerZ
This trait is going to be Lucario only, we are not going to apply it to anyone else. Otherwise it sort of ruins the uniqueness of it all...

Go do it with some other mod, we're not changing our goals just because of Lucario getting something that makes him unique that you feel some other character should get.

As for how Lucario works:

Build damage on the foe to get a charge, Lucario can have a max of two charges (the glowing hands). The charges are used on your B moves and to activate them you must press A after initiating the B move. EX: Super Aura Sphere (a.k.a the Spirit Bomb) is done by pressing B (starting aura sphere) and then you press A to go straight into the Super Aura Sphere. The Super Aura Sphere is stronger and bigger but a really slow moving projectile similar in function and uses to a Hadouken. You can also use a charge on your Up B to cancel it into an aerial, it is done just the same way. Press Up B and then during the move you press A to cancel into any of your aerials (so Up B + forward A or Up B + A to do the hurricane kick etc).

Lucario follows a on-hit cancel system where certain moves can cancel into other moves. A common example is jab1-jab2-Side B or Down Air to aerial Side B. Most moves cancel into specials while others simply cancel into another basic move like Jab1-Jab2-Jab3 > Dtilt or dash attack > Utilt. These are just simple examples off the top of my head but it is very open-ended and a really robust system for Lucario.

And once again, Neutral Air = Ryu's hurricane kick.

Does this make things clearer now?

Ecks

Smash Lord
The first thing I thought of upon watching Lucario was "Damn". The other was that it would make an awesome mod if somebody would do that to every character. Like MvC Brawl or something lol

Moving on, I take it replays aren't fixed yet right?

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
This trait is going to be Lucario only, we are not going to apply it to anyone else. Otherwise it sort of ruins the uniqueness of it all...

Go do it with some other mod, we're not changing our goals just because of Lucario getting something that makes him unique that you feel some other character should get.
Whoa, slow down, it looks like we hurt you just by writing some ideas. No need to make a huge thing about it. We do not know all the goals the Devs have, and which things you guys dedided to not change already.

Also, Lucario's main uniqueness is his Cancel-On-Hit capabilities, not his aura-charge alone. Using some kind of charge to make another character unique doesn't mean Lucario will suddenly be bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom