• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
Kirby definitely needs some work. His uair is stronger than Marth's. Compare 4:12 with 4:48. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LirfGoy7nVg
Um... Kirby's Uair always killed pretty damn well in Melee and that's what we chose with some slight BKB modification of course so it could still combo decently at low %s from Fthrow.

I would love to go into detail on Kirby's changes but... not many people have been playing him so we dunno if what we've done with him is good. But, believe me, he received A LOT MORE ATTENTION THAN MOST CHARACTERS and they're all mostly subtle changes with a few exceptions of course.

T_T

Smash Cadet
Kirby looks really weird.

From what it looks like, Kirby's moves have low/moderate BKB, but huge KBG? Normally comboing moves like that don't kill till much higher percents... or is there a sweetspot system? Or am I just completely off?
It looks like besides the nair and maybe d throw changes most of his attacks seem to have brawlish properties. Which is good because I can't really think of anything in melee off the top of my head he had that was superior to brawl (except MAYBE inhale which had larger ranger and had suicide cancelling).
It's been a while since I've played so forgive me if I'm wrong with any of these observations:
-back throw seem to have a very nice low horizontal angle compared to brawl. Or maybe it was just DI.
-Uair seems to have retained its low knockback but received a KBG improvement? Maybe the lack of brawl move decay has had some part in this. At the very least I don't recall the attack comboing well at all in melee and I saw chu manage to link it to itself several times. The move also seems to have the semi spike back hit that other uairs of its kind have. So low knockback for a bit of combos at certain percents, semi spike and kill power. Very nice, kirby could definitely use the help
-his jumps seem a bit too small in comparison to what I'm used to seeing in brawl. Maybe the higher gravity caused this? I think they should be increased in height to compensate, or maybe its just me seeing things. Either way he should be able to make it back from the VERY bottom of FD like in melee at least.
I think his dair could use a very slight decrease in start up lag

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Project M (9 entrants)
1. Chu (Kirby/ICs)
2. Plank (Peach/Sheik)
3. Azen (Marth/Falco)
4. Redd (Falco/Fox)
5. G-reg (DDD)
5. Chillin (Fox/Marth)
7. JCaesar (ROB/Link/Snake/Mario)
7. Thunderhorse (Falco)
9. BigWenz (Falco)
You should ask Chu about the Kirby changes. Lol.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
Hmm from what i've seen kirby has a solid tech-chase game (with F-smash as a great finisher) but is not a character that uses a lot of combos. A lot of attacks have a great KB with low possibilities of follows up which makes him require a great spacing game (in which his multiple jumps help).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I try :cool:

Yes, my camping has payed off. :)

Sweet Link JCz. Azen seems a little off his game in some of these matches though :/
His tourney match vs me was literally the first time he had ever played Project M. He didn't even play any friendlies before that. So it's understandable if he wasn't playing 100%.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I try :cool:

His tourney match vs me was literally the first time he had ever played Project M. He didn't even play any friendlies before that. So it's understandable if he wasn't playing 100%.
That explains a lot. Despite the similarities, PM is not quite Melee. Close but no cigar.

Chu however seems pretty accustomed though. His Kirby is fun to watch.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
so because winner's finals is 4 games, and the score is 2-2, does that mean Chu went Icies 5th match and you can't put it up?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
You can still play them. They don't crash the game. They are just incredibly ****ed up to play. They also have no work besides porting attributes from melee.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Why can't you put a match up with Icies? And how could he have gone them if they're so ****ed up?
Functionally, ICs...kinda...sorta work. As long as you keep in close proximity to Nana, she'll do what you want her to do, albeit in a very glitched out way. But if you stray too far, she's completely unresponsive until Popo gets close to her again. That's not the sort of video we want to put up (not to mention what we have now, even if it worked without the glitches, are probably far from what will end up being the final version of ICs since we've done almost zero work on them).

As for how could he have gone them, there were no character bans enforced and...he's Chu. He could take a wire frame and do well with it in tourney.

To be fair, he did ask if playing ICs was allowed iirc.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see kirby's ssb64 fair and an Uair that comes out fast and that can be comboed to a Side-B. A little more of air momentum would be awesome too. I think kirby should be the tipe of character who kills by the lateral edge boundaries or by gimping. Right now Kirby's air game seems too brawlish (for me).. I think it must be something more like his 64 version..

In the other hand, his ground game is just awesome. His tilts and grabs seems very useful.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
when I think of Kirby, I think of his inhale move. That's pretty much it, and is the most interesting aspect of his character =/. Remember that silly kirbycide inhale trick that everyone did when we sucked at this game? What if that was changed to be consistently usable? maybe the kirby player could decide when to dump out the opponent himself or something.

Or maybe kirby could gain some sort of larger advantage upon stealing an oppenent's power than he does now. It would be cool if he revolved around getting a successful inhale to get the edge in a match-up, because his inhale separates him from the rest of the cast in my opinion.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they could make it so some attacks could be comboed into the inhale. Another aspect I never liked about the inhale was that when you throw them away they went in an horizontal trajectory and regained their second jump.. which made the move useless. Maybe if the move had a little less startup and could throw the opponents in a more suitable angle..

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Inhale is definitely a unique trait of kirby.

I think his copy abilities should get more love and be adjusted to be more decisive in match. Like, kirby can short hop double laser with falco's blaster, but what's the point? Falco can even reflect the laser back at kirby, by games tradition, his copy abilities should be better versions of the original enemy's attacks.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yes, Wolf is a semi-fastfaller. You could compare Wolf's FF speed to that of Sheik. Also, +1 to new run animation, no matter what he has, he looks like he is limping. :urg:

lol magnus instead of Magus
I too would like to see what could be done with Wolf's run. I'd like for it to be still be unique, but not look as inefficient... on all fours might be a little too unique for me though, heh.

I've always read it "Magnus". Goes to show that I haven't really paid attention to it before, lol. However, magnus is latin for "great", so it's not a terrible mistake imo.

Our mother is out of state right now and we don't celebrate Mother's day. It's another stupid pointless holiday.
I assume this means that everyday is Mother's day for your lucky mom. :)
...if not, that's harsh man...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Is it possible to code Kirby's copied abilities to have improved damage/speed/knockback/hitstun?
Yes it is possible. Except for the hitstun part.

Sure looks to me like Link is your best character. You should drop everybody else and focus on him. :awesome:
01010011 01101111 01110010 01110010 01111001 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100111 01101101 00100000 01110011 01110000 01101111 01101011 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00101110

musashi

Smash Apprentice
kirby used to be top tier at 64
just replicate his pros if you want him to be good
also if you give kirby more aerial freedom like metaknight or jiggs he would be really nasty
also to the people thre talking about kirbys sucking move
if he sucks you at the ledge and falls with you its pretty freakin annoying even if youre a pro player you would be on a really bad position. also kirbys shdl is one of the most annoying things in melee.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Kirby just won a Project M tourney with some of the best Melee players on the East Coast in attendance. Kirby is good.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Or maybe it's just that ChuDat is too good...

Joking aside, how did this thread get into the topic of buffing Kirby, anyway? I doesn't make sense if Kirby actually won the tournament that was just uploaded... <_<

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
People sure do make silly suggestions lmao Kirby is fine the way he is. Hell, I'd pick him up. He looks mad fun and just fine to use. I dig the new nair.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Most likely the different models and animations were throwing them off a bit.

So I have a ****ton of friendlies recorded from that tourney. Since there's a lot of really great stuff and it's all consistent quality (including the already uploaded tourney matches), I'd really like to see a combo video made out of it. Should I keep the friendlies private and try my hand at making a combo video, or should I upload everything and find someone else to do it? What do you guys think?

jalued

Smash Lord

So I have a ****ton of friendlies recorded from that tourney. Since there's a lot of really great stuff and it's all consistent quality (including the already uploaded tourney matches), I'd really like to see a combo video made out of it. Should I keep the friendlies private and try my hand at making a combo video, or should I upload everything and find someone else to do it? What do you guys think?
however close to melee the game mechanics are, it still looks like brawl to me :(

metroid1117

Smash Master

Is there anything wrong with both uploading them and then making the combo video? You're probably more familiar with the footage than anyone else, so even if you upload them I think you'd be the best person to make the video. I don't know who should make it, but I think a P:M combo video featuring some of the best on the East Coast would be amazing for advertising the game to the Melee community.

Speaking of videos to showcase P:M, whatever happened to that proposed trailer featuring the new mechanics (Melee DI, landing detection, etc.)?

On an unrelated note... I was watching Plank's Peach in the recently uploaded matches. Peach's DSmash was nerfed, so has she received any buffs (besides the universal aerial glide toss)? Her double jump looks a little faster, but that could be just me.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Seriously, who gives a damn if it looks like Brawl? The horror, higher quality graphics, let's get back those Melee models, some of which had truly awful quality. Really, the only aesthetic aside from FD Melee that I want back is Game and Watch's Melee colours, and that's not a hard thing to do (I already have them in my Project M).

shanus

Smash Hero
Is there anything wrong with both uploading them and then making the combo video? You're probably more familiar with the footage than anyone else, so even if you upload them I think you'd be the best person to make the video. I don't know who should make it, but I think a P:M combo video featuring some of the best on the East Coast would be amazing for advertising the game to the Melee community.

Speaking of videos to showcase P:M, whatever happened to that proposed trailer featuring the new mechanics (Melee DI, landing detection, etc.)?

On an unrelated note... I was watching Plank's Peach in the recently uploaded matches. Peach's DSmash was nerfed, so has she received any buffs (besides the universal aerial glide toss)?
Actually, it isn't nerfed. Peach just hasn't had much TLC yet without her turnips and DJ animation being fixed.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Seriously, who gives a damn if it looks like Brawl? The horror, higher quality graphics, let's get back those Melee models, some of which had truly awful quality. Really, the only aesthetic aside from FD Melee that I want back is Game and Watch's Melee colours, and that's not a hard thing to do (I already have them in my Project M).
I agree Ness looked absolutely awful in Melee, and Mario looked like he got liposuction.

Bowser looked like Godzilla, Yoshi actually looked like a dinosaur.

Ecks

Smash Lord
So I'm the only one who likes Melee Mario better? He just looks so serious in brawl, which doesn't feel like "Mario" to me.

And of course it will always look like brawl, even if just a little.
-Models aren't Melee.
-Camera isn't Melee.
-Characters sizes aren't Melee.
-Sfx aren't Melee.
-Animation's aren't Melee.

I honestly will not go back to Melee after P:M is released. A Melee were Ness is good? Sign me up! :D

:phone:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Actually, character sizes ARE pretty much exactly the same as Melee.

And Melee camera is way overrated imo. I really hated it when it would super-zoom in when I go offstage to edgeguard.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yeah I always preferred the Brawl camera. Melee camera makes the game feel faster and more intense but has a lot of practical failures like the off-stage situation mentioned above. That isn't to say the Brawl camera doesn't have problems too though.

And +1 for people finally wising up to Brawl asthetics like stages (especially stages) and models being a huge improvement over Melee's dark colorless void of suck. Melee is a fantastic game and looked great for its time but Brawl is a big step up, all other complaints about it aside. When I first saw that the PM team had completely replaced FD with the Melee version and that awful jpg file behind the CSS I became pretty convinced that melee fans never really wanted a sequel at all. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom