• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
I like my controllers like I like my Ming Vases.

Kept in pristine condition, with only the gentile wear of time making them rarer and more beautiful every year.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Right, so onto a different topic: I, 9kplus1, will be available as a usable character in the next patch. I'm a heavyweight with slow fall speed. A comprehensive moveset will soon follow my release; however, I'll quickly note that jumping out of my side-b will be possible :)

Feel free to discuss my potential impact on the still developing P:M metagame.

:phone:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
So if I can get my recording cables and **** by Thursday, I can try to record a PM, Pikmin 2, and Custom Robo setup I'll arrange when I go to AnimeIowa. I don't expect much turnout, but if we can get enough people for a round robin competition, it could be a nice few sets.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Is another CPU AI update a possibility before the next large update/demo? It would be appreciated for those of us who play CPUs more than other people.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The AI should be updated in our next version, but we aren't going to release an AI upgrade before the next general update.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Just use Virtual Dub. It's what Strong Bad and I use to record with.
The only problem with Virtual Dub is the files are really big. My old laptop's hard drive was too small for me to be able to use it.

Fortunately, my new laptop has a 1TB hard drive, so I can happily use it now.

Oh, and have you seen the movie now? It was really good.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Use a compression codec then. I use Lagarith Lossless Codec (1GB for about 30 mins? I dunno) and then open it up in Vegas to export to YouTube.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Use a compression codec then. I use Lagarith Lossless Codec (1GB for about 30 mins? I dunno) and then open it up in Vegas to export to YouTube.
I'll have to give that a try. I don't own a copy of Vegas, though. I tried using Pinnacle Studio to separate the individual matches, but the resulting videos would speed up and slow down at random times, so I've been borrowing computers and using iMovie instead.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
The AI should be updated in our next version, but we aren't going to release an AI upgrade before the next general update.
:urg:

But that's gonna be months from now.

It'd be cool if you guys did monthly patches or something like that like DotA/Dota 2/League. The meta doesn't need that much stewing time. I'm actually a fan of HoN's old weekly balance patches always shaking things up.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Updating weekly is a no no unless you made the patching process work over homebrew wifi/some method that isn't redownloading major stuff from the smash mod site. Every 2-4 weeks maybe, but not weekly. Weekly is a big no no.

A good idea though would be comprehensive frame data for each character, or whatever frame data you have. Right now I've only seen... I think Ike's frame data thread, didn't see one for anyone else.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
3-4 months?!

That's waaaaaaaaaaay too slow to fix balance.

I mean, granted, P:M doesn't have a dedicated balance analyzer who has access to replays of every competitive match ever played between the last patch and now, and fighting games have way less large tournaments than MOBAs since they're not done online, but surely enough information can be gathered to make a small balance patch in about a month.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I highly doubt a month would give enough time for the metagame to change enough to know if something is balanced or not.

In addition, you have to factor in that there's no auto-updater, so people have to update manually. Having to update every month is a lot of work.

Think of how long PM has been out for. We still don't have a good idea of what should be altered for a balance patch. Should Ike be weakened, or do people just not know how to play against him? Is Leelue amazing, or is Sonic better than people give him credit for? There are two many unknowns at the moment to make a patch.

Dazzle and Virtual Dub should be enough.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
3-4 months?!

That's waaaaaaaaaaay too slow to fix balance.

I mean, granted, P:M doesn't have a dedicated balance analyzer who has access to replays of every competitive match ever played between the last patch and now, and fighting games have way less large tournaments than MOBAs since they're not done online, but surely enough information can be gathered to make a small balance patch in about a month.
10 years isn't even enough to know where everybody places on the Melee tier list. Why would we want to do global balance changes every four months?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Because people are going to complain until you release one.

Personally, I think patches should be released every 3-4 months fixing the various physics bugs that are in 2.1, assuming you can release those without much trouble.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, I think the meta is more established than people think. We're just wishy-washy about it.

However, I think that to get information fast enough we definitely need more frequent tournaments (2-3 a month), sponsored players and tournaments, online ranked matches, ladders and leaderboards, etc.

@Shadic Because Icefrog is able to do it :p
On a more serious note: The reason it's taken 10 years is because of the lack of ranked matches and a leaderboard imo. It's nearly impossible to collect data at a consistent rate from high-tier play. However tier ranges of characters are pretty clear. I mean, this whole thing is one big balance patch to melee.

Edit: I am sometime incomprehensible and flit around from point to point. I've edited this post like 20 times and I still can't get my point across without having to say "You'll have to figure out what I actually mean by what I'm saying here"

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We've discussed this issue a lot in the BR, and the fact of the matter is that while we do our best to balance characters at the current time and in the interim between releases while we work on the mechanics/finalizing the game engine, we're still not at a point in development where character balance is the only thing left. 10 whole characters aren't completed design-wise yet, and we still have quite an exhaustive list of important game mechanics-related things to work out. To go "this is good enough" and start going into game-is-done-public-balance-patches-time would be to do a Brawl development-wise. What we currently have planned regarding our release schedule is what we feel is most beneficial to the game, both for our fans and for the game's competitive future. We appreciate your dedication to us and patience regarding the release of our public versions.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@raphaelrobo I don't think I have all the disks that came with it- does it install the drivers on its own or does it require those disks?

@CSDragon
ONLINE RANKED MATCHES AHAHAHAHA

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
So if I can get my recording cables and **** by Thursday, I can try to record a PM, Pikmin 2, and Custom Robo setup I'll arrange when I go to AnimeIowa. I don't expect much turnout, but if we can get enough people for a round robin competition, it could be a nice few sets.
Pikmin 2 battle mode? I'd watch that.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
@raphaelrobo I don't think I have all the disks that came with it- does it install the drivers on its own or does it require those disks?
I think the drivers come on the disk. I don't know if you need to install them to use VirtualDub, since it's been ages since I set mine up. If you need the driver, you can probably look in the same place SB looked to get Vegas.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I thought it was a well known fact that raph does not know what he's talking about in regards to most things.

frequent balance patches lead to disinterest in continuous updated which lead to disinterest in the project, regardless of the fact that they aren't a good strategy for rebalancing the game. 6-9 months is a better time frame to incorporate very small, subtle changes if characters fall behind.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Like I said, when I said 3-4 months, I meant for things like physics changes, not balance changes. Unless something is completely broken (e.g. an infinite, or something), I think a year is the minimum time before we'd want a balance patch.

I'm not sure why you'd single me out, when I wasn't the one saying balance patches at least every month.

Now you've got me:
balance patches at least every month.
If there's something where I don't know anything about it, I'll either say something so ridiculous that it's obviously a joke, or just not talk about it. I can list examples of this if you want.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I didn't make a post about that, did I? I was trying to come up with some joke, but couldn't get anything good.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
So uhm. Dayum. I haven't been here since Demo 2 came out, and I downloaded 2.1 but never really checked in after that. Has any breakthrough progress been made, or is it pretty consistent right now?

also hey guise

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman

@CSDragon
ONLINE RANKED MATCHES AHAHAHAHA
My entire experience with competitive gaming comes from a MOBA/RTS background, and I know that's how they work there. Forgive me if something doesn't exactly translate over to the fighting genre

Though I believe most modern fighters have ranked matches, leaderboards and online rankings too though. All of which allow for a balance team to analyze top level play and keep the game balanced, sooooo I don't see what's so funny about online ranked matches being useful for determining balance.
I mean, there's no one in Melee like DOGKaiser who's job is literally to watch hundreds of replays a day, look at win/loss statistic of every hero in each bracket of skill level. Not because there's no interest for someone like that, but because it's impossible. Streams, live events and youtube videos are all the resources I believe the melee community has.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
That reminds me

Am I the only one that is bothered by how long it takes Pit to do what seems like nothing after a dthrow? I get thrown off a lot by how long the cooldown is after the actual throw because he looks like he should be able to move sooner then he can.

Was this on purpose to limit his options after dthrow?
did they change that in v2.1? because last tourney i played, pits d-throw was combo and kill setup without escape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2yiQ13xec&t=6m18s
(was my first match against pit, but i DIed away perfectly, still got 80% comboed of off one grab, no di or towards always resulted in upB or anything)

edit: sorry, was a couple of pages behind Oo

`dazrin

Smash Champion
My entire experience with competitive gaming comes from a MOBA/RTS background, and I know that's how they work there. Forgive me if something doesn't exactly translate over to the fighting genre

Though I believe most modern fighters have ranked matches, leaderboards and online rankings too though. All of which allow for a balance team to analyze top level play and keep the game balanced, sooooo I don't see what's so funny about online ranked matches being useful for determining balance.
I mean, there's no one in Melee like DOGKaiser who's job is literally to watch hundreds of replays a day, look at win/loss statistic of every hero in each bracket of skill level. Not because there's no interest for someone like that, but because it's impossible. Streams, live events and youtube videos are all the resources I believe the melee community has.
Hey! You came from the HoN community too? That's cool, man.
Anyways, don't feel bad, lol. I think he thought you meant something like a "wifi-PR" or something. That kind of thing isn't really practical or accurate in the smash community because of how bad online play is. In HoN/LoL/SC2/DotA, everything is online because that is what it was made for. Smash was intended to be played in person, so I guess that's why he called you out on that one.

As for balancing characters in P:M versus balancing heroes in HoN, it's not as easy and convenient to issue out patches and have people download every single one every 2 weeks like HoN. In HoN, it's automatic so it's very easy to patch the game as much as they want. (Imagine if in HoN/LoL/SC2/DotA that in order to patch, you would have to completely redownload the game every single time. It would get on people's nerves after awhile and they would probably not be as many players.) In smash, it's just different because people will lose interest in having to keep redownloading the same game and there won't be time for a metagame to develop.

Metagame is very different in smash as opposed to the MOBA genre because the MOBA genre metagame usually revolves around countering specific heroes/strategies or capitalizing on an item or hero that isn't very balanced or has no counter for it at the time. In smash, metagame works by developing and deepening how people play characters and the techniques/strategies they employ with them. It isn't about countering a general strategy or a certain hero in smash, it's about character playstyle development, mostly. At least, that's how I've learned to understand it after being in both the MOBA and Smash competitive communities.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
@CSDragon: Keeping Smash "fresh" would piss off a lot of people, probably including you. Imagine you practice a few combos or strategies after a month that you feel completely confident in then a balance patch comes. All of a sudden, your combo can no longer be pulled off and your strategy is no longer viable. The thing you worked so hard for is gone.

It's like you drawing a picture for your parents and then your parents taking the picture, pulling down their pants and releasing their bowels all over it

dirtydurrant

Smash Cadet
@CSDragon: Keeping Smash "fresh" would piss off a lot of people, probably including you. Imagine you practice a few combos or strategies after a month that you feel completely confident in then a balance patch comes. All of a sudden, your combo can no longer be pulled off and your strategy is no longer viable. The thing you worked so hard for is gone.

It's like you drawing a picture for your parents and then your parents taking the picture, pulling down their pants and releasing their bowels all over it
If any of you guys have played SC2, you will understand how ****ing annoying it is having a patch come out every month or two. Yeah, SC2 is always fresh but high level games rarely happen when **** keeps changing. The next patch for M shouldn't be out for at least another 3 months imo, unless like someone said, there's a discovery that could break the balance of the game. Or it's some small change or fix that wasn't suppose to be there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom