• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
What about me? xD. I have a fawx now <3. we all know fawx rhapes falcons, wave shine across fd yeahh. Dont think Lachlan is coming because of work...

Edit: been playing smash 64 for past 2 weeks lol... we should have a 64 comp, but on wii... =D

Sirias

Smash Champion
I wasn't asking YOU for my Fox hoodie back, Zaccie-poo, I was just saying it out loud.
I think I left it at Adam's anyway.

I cbf practicing just don't wanna have to wake up at 7 in order to make it for Melee, lol.

Also, Zac, I might want your laptop again.
Kthxbringitplx. <33

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Whos taking recording equipment? Zac's taking a direct capture setup and a vid cam.

I dont think I left my fox hoodie at zac's.. I'll ask him now telepathically seeing as he cant post for 2 weeks... hmmm he can't find it in his house he says. Guess that means I'm a ********, deaf and forgetful homo <3

He also thinks (lucky where telepathic right) that he's uploading matches on youtube as well as the old crew battles over the next couple days. In full un-edited.

He also wonders if he can stay the night at bobs and get a lift to the venue with Kas? He can provide an extra t.v and wii/cube he says to me telapathicaly... cause that's what we are.. XD c: <3 etc
-I can see RIGHT through that. :laugh:
:laugh:

Umm, people, dunno what I'm doing Saturday, keeping options open, so you won't know till the day.
Play it safe and find some other doyle in Bris to stay with for now peoples I'd suggest!

-We is going to be very good for TVs I'd suggest.
i'm going to buy a few new ones today....anyone want to buy them off me includng naming rights and...i dunno...free hugs and stuff of me for a month or something?
And if someone who regually comes to tournys AND can transport them wants to have/borrow/buy them that would be super...
If not I'll just put em in storage here.
EDIT: Actually, first we'll just see how we go for TVs on the weekend, if we feel we need more, we know where to get em.

-Remember everyone bring lots o Wii's, etc. AND POWER! Powerboards etc!
Scott, what time can we turn up to setup?

-Antho, I got the prize (the posters) (OOH, it was so quick from my work, SCOTT, if you ever feel up for Smash at that time of night, let me know!) last night, will take them in this morning, ummm, its the same as the old ones, but nice and shiny. These are the right ones right? I was expecting new ones.
Oh well, either way, good excuse to go down there again. :)

PoweredByAMD

Smash Cadet
I'd bring a GC with all of my controllers (if neccessary) and a few power boards for the day (4 slotted ones).

EDIT: Just wanna get this straight, Melee singles are at 10AM?

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
ive seen a gc controller at eb for 20$.. lol

also coming on friday dj. give me lift plz... i finish work at 4 ish meet u at your house?? at 5:30 ish??

also going to mana bar on saterday now. anyone want to come? saterday 9 pm on.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Dunno aye. It's Friday/Saturday so I dunno if Antho has anything set up.

I'll prolly be going but I dunno if I'm taking my comp, might just go for Smash/SF4.

TT Ogre 1

Smash Apprentice
Brawl fails and is pathetic to play and watch, its time for Melee to once again be King.

Melee seems to have taken a backseat to brawl lately, in Qld especially. Why is it brawl gets doubles and singles 2 weeks in a row while melee just gets singles 1 week and then has to be squashed in with brawl? Time for syke to come out of directing retirement and pull Qld out of this pathetic brawl hole its sunk into. I'll be hosting a melee singles and doubles tourney at hotcats for those who wish to enter, price is $10 for singles and $5 per person for doubles. Currently the set up count is at 5 so anyone willing to contribute will get discounts and wubz. Also for prizes are pokemon/naruto plushies and a playstation 2.

Next week at Lansmash I'll again be hosting both with similar prizes including new release games, ps3 controllers, more plushies and hoodies. Again I only have 5 set ups so discounts and wubz for those who help out.

There are also plans for a semi-major tourney when juggy comes for holidays in june.

TT Ogre 1

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be better (and anthony would probably agree) that having separate directors for melee and brawl events is the way to go.

PoweredByAMD

Smash Cadet
Since we're recording matches; let's make an Aussie combo video =D

Brawl fails and is pathetic to play and watch. Currently the set up count is at 5 so anyone willing to contribute will get discounts and wubz. Also for prizes are pokemon/naruto plushies and a playstation 2.
I agree with the Brawl statement... I'll bring a GC + controllers as mentioned before... AND I WANT TEH PIKACHUUUUUUUU plushie =D

So, hotcats, autumn smash then supanova?

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Melee seems to have taken a backseat to brawl lately, in Qld especially. Why is it brawl gets doubles and singles 2 weeks in a row while melee just gets singles 1 week and then has to be squashed in with brawl?
It's simply because people seem to turn up to brawl even though

Brawl fails and is pathetic to play and watch
Like triple the people went to brawl last LS than melee

Melee got a whole day to itself at the last lansmash and yet all these so called melee players were no shows, no one is gonna host tourneys if no one goes, simple fact

TT Ogre 1

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes life takes priority over a videogame, something the brawl players dont need to worry about it seems. That and lansmash costs too ****ing much... not hosting a tourney ther next week. Stay tuned.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Zac, I don't think you being a director will make anymore people come.
Brawl has taken over because it's the 'new' Smash game.
It doesn't matter how bad you might say it is, Dean is right. (... Testikills is Dean, right? Or is he AMD powered or w/e).
All you're doing by upping the amount for entry is giving disincentive to the players that're less likely to win, and pretty much more $ in your pocket, unless you're planning on sharing the venue cost?
Melee hasn't died more.
There are just more players for Brawl.
If you are hosting the Melee side, though, Zac, you still starting singles at 10?

... Also, can you bring your laptop to Hotcats so I can borrow...
Wait.
I don't need it until Friday next week, so I'll come round on Thursday or something and grab it off you then and give it back on Monday.
K?

TT Ogre 1

Smash Apprentice
its not about getting more people, its about the melee tournaments happening more often. This brings more exposure and therefore more people. Our old tourneys only brought in like 18 people on average.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Only reason Brawl gets it 2 weeks in a row cause PMS does only Brawl while Hotcat's does both. The only reason it's Brawl this time is cause I haven't done it in a while so I'm gonna start from scratch (and there are MORE Brawl players). Next Hotcats will be Melee Singles + Doubles and Brawl Singles. From there it will keep alternating.

Lansmash had a distinct lack of Melee players cause "life takes priority over video games" but it also applies for Brawl players too.

Anyways only reason I don't have both Melee + Brawl Singles and doubles is cause of time constraints and I'm trying the 1 game doubles/Singles + other game singles to see how it turns out. It's only an experimental schedule (I'm copying Sydneys here haha). If it turns out well though and we have some spare time left over I'm more than glad to let you organize the Melee side of Hotcats as it'd take alot of work off my shoulders shouting at people between games.

TL;DR: If this works out well we'll be running BOTH Melee and Brawl Singles + doubles. If Zac helps me =D

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
Melee people didn't turn up to LS was because it just coincidentally landed on a bad day for a lot of us. The same could happen to brawl people sometime. It's not like melee people said "**** it i don't want to play melee today" most of us had other commitments already.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Reuben: Come at 10am

I think it would be better (and anthony would probably agree) that having separate directors for melee and brawl events is the way to go.
I agree with this. And I'm very happy.

And part of me was hoping either you would come out of retirement or somebody else would step up for Melee specifically.

Nick, this whole time Melee has clearly taken a back seat. I let it take a back seat. I am more interested in growing the competitive Brawl scene. I cater for the Melee scene because I enjoy the game, I grew up with it, It's my original competitive game and it kicks ***, and I enjoy the company of the people who play it (just as much as those who play Brawl mind you), but the point is, it's obvious that Brawl will take precedence in what I cater for because of my goals for the Brawl scene over the Melee scene.

You can't complain Nick, before Syke came back there was absolutely nobody willing to go out of their way to cater specifically and only for Melee. Everybody here talks about how much they love Melee, but complain when it doesn't get catered for. Syke is an amazing troll but at least he's doing what not a single Melee player in the 'Melee state' was willing to do. Not even me.

In the past year I can think of only 1 Melee only tournament in Queensland.

And Syke, I appreciate it, but please, give the Brawl and Brawl Player bashing a rest. I should be banning your alt account, and I'll get in trouble with the higher ups if they catch on. Please don't get us both in trouble :(

Anyway, I'm out for at least another 24 hours. Gotta Focus on Uni!!!

EDIT: Syke, can you bring a laptop to HotCats?
That way we can run 2 brackets seperately.
(I assume this was your plan anyhow)

That's how they did it at Genesis and I think it's a good idea.

EDIT2: One more thing Zac, do you want to see Melee at LanSmash? I could decide not to hold one so that people can instead take whatever weekend you decide to organise for off instead. Idk, let me know. It works for me either way since it's gonna be hard running two tournaments in one day.

TT Ogre 1

Smash Apprentice
I guess it would be easier to run melee next week. Most of the scene will be away for supanova anyway incl alot of melee peeps.

Keeeees come ova on saturdoiiiy kthnx

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
Imo, i prefer both watching and playing melee over brawl but that's just my opinion. I tend to play brawl more though because I don't get ***** as much as i do in melee. Kinda over getting 4 stocked 10 times over. I guess i gotta show more persistence/patience and just keep at it until i learn how to play it properly.

Obviously i'm new to the competitive scene and only the brawl guys know of me but i'm definitely keen to get into some melee. I'm not sure if there are specific melee meets as i haven't seen any advertised but i would greatly appreciate it if i could get an invite to them, get my skills up and eventually attend melee tournaments.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Imo, i prefer both watching and playing melee over brawl but that's just my opinion. I tend to play brawl more though because I don't get ***** as much as i do in melee. Kinda over getting 4 stocked 10 times over. I guess i gotta show more persistence/patience and just keep at it until i learn how to play it properly.

Obviously i'm new to the competitive scene and only the brawl guys know of me but i'm definitely keen to get into some melee. I'm not sure if there are specific melee meets as i haven't seen any advertised but i would greatly appreciate it if i could get an invite to them, get my skills up and eventually attend melee tournaments.
siiigh PTP sea hahaha

King Kong

Smash Lord
Melee has taken a back seat for a lot of us old school people. And fair call too, there was a time when I had smash meets at my apartment pretty much every sunday and it was all well and good, casual funtimes for all the family.

That was 4-5 years ago though.

That being said. I recall a certain drunken conversation had with anf, ben and bryce at the RE earlier this year. Where we decided that we still had a year of smash left (Otherwise its just getting a bit sad, lets be honest :))

So how would the melee people feel about getting some oldschool melee meets happening again? I have a huge house with about 5 T.V's, and its only about 15mins out of the city by bus or train (About the same as my old apartment in Toowong) and my housemates wouldnt care as long as we dont wreck **** up.

Right now im thinking Sundays are the way to go, would people be keen for oldtimes sake?

peace out

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
Where we decided that we still had a year of smash left (Otherwise its just getting a bit sad, lets be honest :))
I don't think i'll ever stop playing smash. Been playing since the first few months of smash 64 and my interest is still the same and it's been over 10 years. I guess as i get into my 20's things might change but i doubt it :D

King Kong

Smash Lord
I don't think i'll ever stop playing smash. Been playing since the first few months of smash 64 and my interest is still the same and it's been over 10 years. I guess as i get into my 20's things might change but i doubt it :D
Yeah. Thats what I thought before I got into my 20's :)

peace out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom