• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I live in Lawnton (North Brisbane). Yeah I couldnt attend lansmash or supanova., I have been to previous lansmash tournaments but only for SF4 and HDR.

Can you guys give me the low down on the Brisbane smash community? How many people enter tournaments, top players etc, thanks!
Not much to know mate. I'm new to the scene as well and from what i can tell, there's 3 types of tournaments in qld...

1. HotCat's Monthly's (brawl & melee)
2. PMS (brawl)
3. Lansmash (brawl & melee)

Check out the first page for details and upcoming tourneys.

The turnout for tournaments range anywhere between 10 - 25 usually, depending on the day really.

And if you're after the top players, refer to the QLD power rankings thread which should be a few threads down from this one in the australia forums. That'll have the top 10 players. The top 2 players in qld brawl are Amaterasu (chris) & Jbirds (james) and Jezmo is up there to but i've only seen him at one tournament.

Other than that, welcome to the boards and i'll look forward to seeing you at the next tournament.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
i'm at carseldine, pretty close to lawnton by train. i'm a melee player mostly, though i know a tiny bit about brawl if i have to.

10 for a tournament on a bad day. 25 on a good day. sounds about right.

just come to one or two of our meets and you'll find out stuff

welcome =D

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well put seaDORF :)

Welcome foxlyfe! I knew your name sounded familiar. I remember you being in the SF HDR tournament from ages ago.

If you're interested in coming to practice meetups, try to keep up with this thread so we can let you know what's happening. Otherwise check in on the front page for info on upcoming tournaments.

foxlyfe

Smash Rookie
Thanks seaDORF =)

Melee and Brawl tournaments.. I own Melee but have not played it heh, from the little i do know about the series, is that the Smash community did not take a liking to Brawl? I guess like Tekken 4 was to the Tekken community.. thanks for the great post!

Pantsmann too bad you arent into Brawl more.. otherwise i wouldnt mind hooking up and getting schooled heh.

Vyse yeah that was a long time ago.. practice meet ups sound good. Im just starting to get my head around how things work in smash so hopefully ill be some sort of competition in future tournaments =)

Thanks guys for the welcome!

Also i noticed the PMS is on the 24th of this mth. Ill make the trip down and hopefully a few other guys i play with regularly will come along also. When is the next local (brisbane) meet up?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There are three types of people: People who like Melee, People who like Brawl, and people who like both. To put it bluntly, Brawl is a slower paced, less universally technical (That is, techniques that apply to all characters, on the flip side, character specific Advanced techniques in Brawl outnumber Melee's) game. But I still like and support both of them and I guess I enjoy Brawl more than Melee (but I find both are rewarding to play).

There are subjective 'flaws' in each of the games that make people say one is better than the other, and there are at least 1000 different spins you can put on either game, but it makes little difference in the end.

It's kinda like preferring Counter Strike 1.6 over Counter Strike: Source. Or Left 4 Dead 1 over Left 4 Dead 2.

But that's enough about that. We can save that debate for never since 'Brawl Vs. Melee' is technically not allowed anywhere on Smashboards.

We all tend to travel pretty far for meets, many of which happen in Brisbane suburbs like Browns Plains. Otherwise welcome. The smash community has been something I've been a proud member of for about 5 years now, and it's bought with it a lifetime's worth of golden memories, and I'd do anything I can to promote it and get the word out there. So what I'm basically trying to say is that smash is one of the greatest little fighters that could out there, and the community itself is enough to want to play and be a part of it.

Australia, like the rest of the world, has a rich and vibrant history with both of the games, and I'm sure it's something you'll pick up a long the way (if you're already coming from a fighting game background, you're probably well vested in what fighting game scenes are like), but that'll all come in time.

You can look forward to the next LanSmash too, it's gonna be our Major tournament for the year :)

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Also the Saturday or Sunday after that (the 17th/18th) will have a DAYTIME meet at James and mine.
Come and see Ganondorf, maybe play some cricket or footy and play lots o smash.
Food and drinks should be available too.
This will most likely be on the Saturday, just depeneds what suits more people.

Mmmm, Supernova, still being sorted, looks a touch unlikely at this stage, will keeps yas updated, HOWEVER, I'm still keen to go anyway, anyone else wana come with?
I hear the Dorfs will be going as Wizards!
-Sea! i have a Sea Captain's hat for you, had to get it!

Mmmm, we have a busy few weeks of tournys and stuff. Busy is good.
Good luck to all our QLD spakas who go to Sydney this weekend. :);)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Jesse's still trying to get it organised, but I've been telling him not to push it too hard. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, and that's fine.

Animania is on the first of May, which is my next target.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
mm i can go either friday night or sunday to super nova =P
ide like to know more about jesses plan...

i might make my mecha or and / warrior costume out of cardboard this week XD

foxlyfe

Smash Rookie
Thanks Vyse :bigthumbu

Haha no "this game is better than that game" nice, saves alot of wasted threads and petty agruments. If only tekkenzaibatsu took that approach =P Hrm so much to learn :S Off putting but at the same time makes it very interesting heh. For e.g. i cant SHDL for ****.

Just looking through the Lansmash finals for Brawl, pretty good stuff!

Just a quick noob question.. if i may =) The air dodge, how many frames is it active for? Im going to show my noobness but it feels like im not using it correctly.. Is it basically only the first couple of frames that allow you to dodge while in the air? Because it seems like even though ive still got the 'invincibility glow' im not actually invincible for the whole duration of the dodge?

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick noob question.. if i may =) The air dodge, how many frames is it active for? Im going to show my noobness but it feels like im not using it correctly.. Is it basically only the first couple of frames that allow you to dodge while in the air? Because it seems like even though ive still got the 'invincibility glow' im not actually invincible for the whole duration of the dodge?
There are better places to ask this but since you are new;

It differs from Character to Character

Smash Wiki on Air dodge

Sloth

Smash Ace
Today I was going through the Thriller rules for melee and realised how ******** (it’s not the first time I've realised this.. in fact I've always thought this) to reiterate.. How ******** counter-pick stages in melee are.

Do you think it's possible as a state we could vote to whether to have counter-picks in melee or to remove them?
Of course such a vote may need a debate to why someone thinks they should be removed, but that is only needed if there is enough interest in the topic.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I think a better topic is the neutral stage list. Pokemon stadium is in no way a neutral stage. It's would be almost at the top of any non-space animal ban list.

in my oppinion~

Neutrals: Battle field, Dream land, FD, Yoshis, FoD.

Counterpick: Kongo, Pokemon Stadium, maybe brinstar, uhh... can't think of any other counterpick stages? Dunno what people think of stages like floats and rainbow cruise, as a falcon main i like them both.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
When it comes to Melee, as the game is extremely centred on technical prowress, the depth the game offers from just this definitely has merit in redefining your competitive game as to only include starter or flat/plat stages.

The main thing though that extra stages only increase the depth of the game. The technical prowress to use certain characters may be drastically different on certain stages, or even not even readily usable. Is this a bad thing? I am not exactly too informed on these things though. If I compare to brawl which is a lot more knowledge based, the removal of counterpicks in melee would definitely give more emphasis to those with tech rather than adaptive skills.
Of course the lack of counterpicks gives greater strengths to some characters such as Ice Climbers (or whoever gets screwed over by brinstar / rainbow / etc).

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
if we're going to say PS isn't neutral we might as well rule out yoshis and FoD as well. they're both a bit dodgy.

FD DL64 and BF for neutral

i wouldn't mind most other stages being counterpick. i like a lot of the stages that are perma or semi banned. i would like to see peach's castle on the counter list, defs floats and cruise. just ban a few absolutely broken stages.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Yoshis and FoD are not dodgy, FoD's platforms are never set, at some heights they are good for characters and at others they are not, and as much as most of us hate it, the advantage it gives to characters (such as fox and falco) cant be helped because those characters are pro on every stage. Otherwise it isnt particularly unfair.

Yoshi's gives no great advantage to any character except marth, and maybe fox, but it's not a great thing to worry about.

Pokemon Stadium is silly though, some of the stage changes require that you almost completely avoid particular areas of the stage, or face certain doom, especially against space animals. Who would go in the pit against fox? an idiot would, that's who. It's not a problem to us because we always avoid the pit, but it doesnt defeat the fact that if you did go in there, you are likely to lose a stock if against a good fox or falco.

And don't take this is a "oh no i hate PS" argument, because i way way prefer PS over most of the other neutrals any day. but it's still a bad stage.

P.S. i support all the counterpicks on there EXCEPT corneria, i don't know why that stage is even legal in the first place, random space ships, stupid campy lower wing. wtf?

Sloth

Smash Ace
I don't know much about Brawl, so none of my posts will relate to it any way shape or form.

Well the objective of any game that tries to define itself on a competitive platform is to eliminate any broken factors and luck. These are always taken away in attempt to allow the focal point to be on the player’s skill rather than other external forces.

My vice against counter-picks is rather then increasing depth - they add to broken factors. The neutrals have stood the years because of their ability to eliminate 'most' characters stage advantages. Counter-picks idea was to allow characters to hold an advantage in matchups. I've never understood how this is a good thing in a competitive game.

That’s not to say neutrals are completely neutral as the concept itself is illogical in a game with multiple characters.

Some people could say it adds depth to allow CPs, that you need to redefine your skill to compensate for an alternate stage. But I think this is rather a linear thought as the skill required to adjust to CP stage isn't that much, so all you’re left with is a Character's ability outweighing another’s by a considerable amount

PoweredByAMD

Smash Cadet
I need SupaNova details for Friday =O All I know is that it's at RNA Showgrounds and Melee will be there. Is there a place where it's held inside the Showgrounds? And times.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I see your point in a lot of ways it then comes down to character strengths then.
And many have said how overly important winning the first match of a set is because of counterpicks.

But really, the way we play smash now with this counterpicking system was what came about at the beginning of time I suppose. Its how the competitive nature of the game was established.

The main counter argument is simply that,
Taking the game melee, that should remain as close to its origins as possible,
it is competitive IF results are consistant.

I am not sure if you guys still do random starters, but most rule sets now employ stage striking due to it making results more consistant.
What is the meaning of consistancy? The better player winning the set.
What you may conceive as the skills required to play the game may not be the same as someone else.

Take a character such as Sheik who can ledge drop and sweetspot the ledge with near invincibility. Feasibly him doing this may have cries of lame/gay/whatever, but someone employing this (playing to win) may come out on top of someone who may be better at technical aspects, but not at adapting to uncommon strategies.

Whilst this detracts from what you are getting at - stages, I feel this has a similar point.
If you want to change the game from encompassing it in its entirety (which from what I see in most melee games / sets, doesnt happen anyway; most cps are starter stages, and the call for this change may stem from the lack of experience) to be more consistantly based around static play, then that is fine.

I think of a stage such as Rainbow Ride. It is moving but all of its features are static other than the falling blocks at some points (but they were completely in a players control). Should the best player of melee be able to handle this stage? Personally I think they should.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I agree, hence why Corneria shouldn't be on the list. The space ships targetting individual players with their lasers is hardly static, but that's maybe my own belief. (and maybe pokemon stadium although that stage is always static, the stage changes could be considered random i guess)

Sorry I'm not contributing something USEFUL to the argument, I'm just writing an ethics essay atm and I'm all "debated" out.

But my point: Shaya's right, though his argument supports the removal of corneria as a CP stage.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
So basically nothing is happening at Supanova anymore, they couldn't get the information to me that I needed in time for it to be possible to host anything and they were basically not co-operative or helpful.

Sorry to anyone that wanted to play smash at Supanova.
Sorry Reuben.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Counter-picks have been around since I was part of the scene in 05. I wasn’t around during any discussion and nobody ever discussed their removal, just alterations to the stage list.
So I never truly understood how they benefited the game on a competitive level. I found them quite the opposite and every tournament I ran in Tas was neutral only.

Putting this aside, I think you overlooked the idea I was getting at towards the end of your post Shaya.
I wasn’t raising the issue of “It doesn’t matter what stage your playing on the better player will still win” it isn’t the message I was debating.

It’s the fact that CP stages can extend a character’s potential in a matchup. Of course neutral stages also allow for characters to have a slight advantage over another but the reason why they are neutral is because the advantage is slim.

Your analogy of sheik just made no sense to me in terms of the concept I am trying to say. So I can’t comment on it.

What I don’t understand is why allow for counter-picks. How does it help the depth of the game as opposed to – and to bring in a human based argument – allow for a worse player to win.
If you can only win on a counter-pick stage because it gives your character a clear advantage over the other. Should you be deemed as the better player? No. So why bother having it in the first place?

It just seems backwards compared to every other competivite game I've ever played or know a bit about.

And yes towards the end I bought it back to player verse player!

I'm not arguing the stages themselves, just the idea.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
You and shaya are looking at two different perspectives.

Shaya is looking at the CP as a way of reducing technical characters ability to exploit their technical capacity to produce the win, while you are looking at the CP as a way of giving a weaker character a higher advantage to win.

Same topic, two different perspectives. Kind of interesting...

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Bob sea is mega bailing on supanova due to being a wizard, I should still be going with ranga on saturday maybe sunday if youre interested in tagging along

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
no smash at supernova? look, you get the dorfs to show up at the house of who ever's in charge of supernova, and you can bet your *** they'll be running smash allright.

Sloth

Smash Ace
You and shaya are looking at two different perspectives.

Shaya is looking at the CP as a way of reducing technical characters ability to exploit their technical capacity to produce the win, while you are looking at the CP as a way of giving a weaker character a higher advantage to win.

Same topic, two different perspectives. Kind of interesting...
Well not really..

My view isn't on giving a 'weaker character' a higher advantage to win. It's just giving a character a higher advantage to win regardless of its placement on the tier-list.

I'm not going to comment on Shaya's view of Technical ability because I haven't truly understood the concept he is trying to argue with. It could be my lack of sleep. Because Technical as a term is very open and has to be discussed before you can argue it's placement in stages.

On a side note:
I have to get up at 6:45am to make my flight to Syndye.. aww man. It's almost midnight!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Not entirely Aussierob.
Melee is a game with a lot of depth. Counterpick stages increase that depth. However, as melee has so much to offer purely through just technical prowress on base stages (I feel that defining this is hard; so I am just going to give an example of how proper synchronisation of Ice Climbers is very important - Brinstar easily removes this ability without another skill set that isnt often required), if you wish to redefine competitive melee to fit under this pretence, I do not see much problem with it - as long as you are firmly aware of the goals you are trying to achieve. If you have seen the latest Melee Backroom ruleset, things are pretty close to this base some strive to have... 5 starters and I think only 4? counterpicks.
My analogy, now that I look back on it was terrible. My mistake, it meant little really, a bad tangent.
What I really feel about removing things from the games, such as stages, that it results in the skillsets required to be the best to be reduced / centralised. If there were to be a reasonably liberal stage list and two players came into the scene who were good enough on starters but excelled on many of the counterpicks, their effects on the current scene (which strongly revolves around starters only) would probably be shocking - they would win, and people would be uncomfortable about it. Removing this would mean that players that put the effort into a different facet of the game are having those skilled made redundant - RATHER than others getting better at them. I see consistant results as including character match ups.

NOW,
I dont really like Corneria, I feel it is a terrible stage.
I feel the skill set required essentially attracts a one-style play that seemingly has little viable depth, hence the stage is degenerative. As in, I am fox, hear me pew pew run away for 8 minutes.

You want the game to have the most depth as possible. That is all I am trying to say.

-

**** Sloth get to sleep, party hard later :D

-

Also I say two rather than one players entering a scene being good on various counterpick stages so that, when they counterpick lets say green greens against you, and you get ***** and are like all UGHH GAY GAY GAY, but the two play eachother and the match itself is... hmmm.... amazing? and all the stupid things that you hate about the stage do not actively occur between the two (hence the result of the match is consistant), what is wrong with this?

Sloth

Smash Ace
A quick note as I am about to head to bed -
I've never truly grasped the concept of learning to play a stage to your advantage. I think often people put too much emphasis on the degree that learning a stage requires.
From my own personal development in my melee career I have not once found a CP stage hard to adjust too and not once found someone who can't adjust and play on a CP.

Almost every player can play them normally, so it disregards any concept of learning a stage and all it has left is the extra potential it allows a character to have.

I think the fact that the CP stage have drastically reduced over the years is a clear sign to "me" that it should just be eliminated.

Side note:
I'll see you in Sydney for super fun hug times <3

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
read about 1/10 of what was written olololol

The last couple melee MLG's wer neutrals only and seemed pretty sexy, I think you weren't allowed to ban stages either but could still do the stage strike 1st up.

Stadium is godly, i wubs pits, they make for the easiest tech chasing eva. If you get caught in a pit against fox, peach or whoevs then lol for you shouldn't have gone in ther. It's like jumping on a platform against marth, your asking for death son..

anywayz, i cbf arguing this ****. my tourneys from now on will be neutrals only - fd, fod, dl64, ps, yoshi's, bf. I rarely see anyone go to the cp stages cause in friendlies everyone goes random to the neutrals. cp'ing to non-neutral is usually because they watched an american do it i.e brinstar/mute city.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Bob sea is mega bailing on supanova due to being a wizard, I should still be going with ranga on saturday maybe sunday if youre interested in tagging along
OK, I finish work at 2pm.
If anyone is keen to go to Supanova TODAY, let me know! Probably leave me a msg cause i be too busy to call back cause i actually work at work (UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE! :bee: ) and I'll call ya back when i finish.
Otherwise I'll just clean the yard/do some mowing ro something...
I am keen for Saturday, want to travel in numbers anyone....

In other news.
Got some new TVs.

@random lasers on Corneria: Well, if your good....

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
i love counterpick stages. also i always had the understanding that counterpick stages exist just because we wanted to not remove as much as possible. i mean, they're FUN. i'll almost always take somebody to a counterpick stage every set just because i like to play on them. yes, some maps favour certain characters, but usually they're top tier characters anyway who everybody's playing. say for example if two fox players go to brinstar, how's that any different to two fox players going to FD? neither gained a significant advantage. some people just like to play on the counterpick stages.

I usually try and put a bit of thought into what stage i go to and i just clump all stages together in my head. every stage has its benefits for how i want to play the matchup rather than how well my particular character does on the stage in general or if i think i can get cheap kills on it. I'll go to japes if i want to force an aerial approach, not because you can get random kills with klaptraps and i think that's the sort of thinking pattern of the people who like CP stages.

Yes, some stages absolutely balls up characters, like ICs on brinstar. but what's wrong with pokefloats? what's wrong with kongo64? are they really that bad?

I don't really think of smash rules to make the game as fair as possible. more to make it fair ENOUGH. CP stages aren't breaking sets unless you're ness or ICs. so why change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom