• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
With the tournament listings Vyse, could you take my name off the Melee list. I think Matthew wants his name taken off it too. We didn't actually play Melee. Our names were just inserted into the brackets without authorisation. Some other person was at the computer (don't know their name).

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I tended to find before unilan that people got sidetracked and hardly played smash in the duration. People seem to be more motivated now. Maybe it's just a QLD thing to do.

"Hey guys, let's play smash!" 5mins later: *Does anything but play smash*

Karp-0S

Smash Journeyman
More time to brawl doubles. Ikeazard didn't even kickoff.

Next time I'll bring a cube antho, have me some melee on.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
He said more MEETS. Not every gathering needs to be a tourny.

Butthurt anthony is butthurt
Kas said:
We need less tournaments, Anthony.
I was responding to this part?
More meets is always a good thing and I agree?

I'm just saying that my goal for now is to respond to a need for a more consistent tournament scene :)

EDIT: Christ almighty, I get 9001 emails a day. Every week I gotta clear this shizzle. Not to mention that 9001 more I get hourly from smashboards.

EDIT:

Speaking of consistent tournaments, here are the next number of dates I could book in for:

DATES AVAILABLE FROM 1PM

14 & 28 AUGUST

11 & 25 SEPTEMBER

9, 23, 30 OCTOBER

13 27 NOVEMBER

11 DECEMBER

These are all Saturdays, in that same room.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
tournment is serious business. where u play serious. maybe meet and greet some out of staters and play some people you haven't played before. unless you seriously want to move up in power ranking or something and no oosers then meets are better. that being said tournaments are more scence building. and u can always not enter just pay venue fee and play same stuff as u would at meets but with more company and supporting the scene

J-Birds

Smash Lord
14th seems cool, hotcats has September covered.

is there a bigger room for a similar price or does it skyrocket?

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
This I realise, though you could've bought the food back instead. That's what I usually do.
I don't see how bringing the food back to the venue would have saved any time, you still have to eat the food.. which usually takes the same amount of time wherever you eat it.

I agree, Mario Kart was fun as.
It's a shame we didn't go dAAAncing, though.
dAAAncing hahaha maybe next time, if you start pronouncing the word correctly. We have to stop losing to ranga in double dash before he starts thinking he's good, mario party put him in his place though, 0 stars 10 coins lolol.

Anyway, I agree with vyse when he says

More meets is always a good thing and I agree?

I'm just saying that my goal for now is to respond to a need for a more consistent tournament scene :)
I think we need more meets and more consistent tournaments. Not necessarily more tournaments, just making sure that tournaments do happen on a regular basis. Like at the start of the year in QLD we had hotcats, PMS and lansmash.. lansmash seems to be doing well, but only happens every 3 months. Whereas hotcats and PMS were supposed to be regular monthlies and now 1 is canned and the other occurs at inconsistent times. Helensvale seems like it could be good replacement for PMS, but that still leaves brisbane with only hotcats (when it happens) and lansmash. Meets are good for practicing and improving your game, whereas tournaments still do that but they're mainly to test your game and determine who is the best. I've only really been able to improve my game by going to tournaments and playing socially amongst a few friends, that's why I think we should have more meets because they give everyone the opportunity to practice against everyone else without it having to be a competition. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Oh and vyse go for gold with the bookings, but can we reserve the 28th for the next DORF OFF? we chose that date a couple of weeks ago when it didn't clash with anything, we don't really want to have to reschedule again.

Sirias

Smash Champion
That's what I meant, less tournaments, more meets, isn't that how it should go?
As opposed to less tournaments, same amount of meets (which is barely any (at least, I'm never invited (sad))) / less meets.
But still, less tournaments is a good thing in my opinion. Not saying tournaments are a bad thing. Just too much effort/seriousness in one thing leads to disinterest in that thing.
Anyway, paying to play a game that you can play for free with mates at their place is more intriguing than paying to play a game that when you're knocked out you have to stand around and do nothing (BUT play smash if there's a free setup) and if you're still in you have to wait around until the other is ready.
I'd rather just play loser/s out for fun and then when you get bored of that play another game or do something else.

I do pronounce it correctly! You punk. Bah. It's dAAAncing, you friggin' Aussies. And I'll get better at Mario Kart when it's not so BULLcrud when you're last. You'd expect to get good items that actually do something rather than red shells and single mushrooms. So effed. Makes me rage. But so fun. Mario Party needs to be faster, too.

LanSmash does well because it's USUALLY at a convenient time and there's a lot of effort into building it up, where-as just making a tournament because 5 or so people want it and then nothing really put into it is just lame.
The tournament wasn't so bad, Melee was meh but that's to be expected, and Brawl had quite a few plus the top 5 excluding Jezmo.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Tournaments are good cause they encourages people to try their best and it gives them a reason to practice and better themselves. To make a name of yourself and the PR list gives more incentive.

Meets provide more of a relaxed environment, a good place to meet new peeps, get to know people better and play games other then Smash.

So a good mix of both is really needed for a striving community.

I apologize for the lack of and inconsistency of the Hotcats tournaments. That was just me being lazy and un-motivated. I've realised that I have to do this for the community if I want it to grow.

So tl;dr: Meets and tournies should be even. Hotcats will pick up its game.

I have September covered. I'll talk to Vyse and Dorfs before I book the next tournament so we can all work around each other.

Peace.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Tournaments are better than meets. Competition makes things more interesting. You think anyone would watch sport if no one kept score and everyone won. Without competition it's just people running around a field.

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Tournaments are better than meets. Competition makes things more interesting. You think anyone would watch sport if no one kept score and everyone won. Without competition it's just people running around a field.

To further that, Competition only goes for half the year, they other half is spent training and practicing, would anyone watch sport if it was a bunch of unfit unskilled people running around a field? That's why meets are important to, they can be used to try and implement new things into your game.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Haha and thats why you go to every meet then not the tourney :p

He's right though

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well said Scrubs, I agree completely.

14th seems cool, hotcats has September covered.

is there a bigger room for a similar price or does it skyrocket?
It's more to do with availability, that is, that's the best I can get.

@oldman: Point taken. Next time I will simply say straight up "Be here at XX:XXpm or be DQ'd" and you can plan around it per usual. Fair?

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
Whoa so many essays.

Scott, just go ahead and book tourneys. Yours are more important and we should have to work around your bookings, not vice versa.

EDIT: also, i'm not really in favour of dorf offs anymore. Feel free to organize them though if people are still keen to go to them.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
I agree with Ben, but also agree with Dean. Of course tournaments are better, but if we don't have any meets nobody will get better and the competition won't be as exciting.

That's fine by me vyse, but you should be doing it to everyone.

EDIT: I wasn't having a dig at scott btw, I was just voicing my opinion on tourneys/meets. We already agreed to postpone DORF OFF's in favour of legitimate tournaments, I was just making a request.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Meets aren't meant to only get better, but to also just relax and have fun, I don't say meet as "Smash meet", I say meet as, hanging out and doing whatever the fudge meet, lol.
Tournaments are really the only way to play people in a serious atmosphere and learn new things firsthand, but doing them so much tires you out, like with anything done lots seriously.

Ben, lol, comparing Smash to something like soccer/basketball/rugby is a bit ridiculous, though essentially the same thing. The difference is the people watching are generally just spectators, not people playing. And of course Smash is 1/1000000 the size. And other dumb things.

Also...
Someone book my tickets to Robocop for me.
I cbf doing it, lol.
Next meet someone take my card and do it, kthx. <3

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Kas, just remember to do the price match thingy with JetStar (Make them price match Tiger) to save $$$

EDIT:

I agree with Ben, but also agree with Dean. Of course tournaments are better, but if we don't have any meets nobody will get better and the competition won't be as exciting.

That's fine by me vyse, but you should be doing it to everyone.
@Adam: Wasn't particularly aiming it at you. At all the LanSmashes, I've always said "Hey, go eat dinner and be back at XX:XXpm" to everyone. I even have video evidence of that at Tempest (because I recorded some pretty ******** things at tempest).

More to the point. Ideally this is how it works.

We run tournaments.
People want to win or do well at tournaments.
People organise meets so they can get together and get better.

Tournaments are meant to generate a desire to get better. Otherwise you get situations where we go to meets and not really practice with purpose in mind.

---

Also, something I've been wanting to say.

If those of you guys who want more meets, want more meets, then simply hold more meets. No problem really, unless you're relying on tournament organisers to facilitate that for you.

Believe me, if I could, any weekend that didn't consist of a tournament, I'd be inviting everyone to mine for smash practice by posting on here, but I live in a house that's far too small with parents that are very very old (that is, I like them to have their peace and quiet).

Meets were never this big great thing that required weeks of advance planning like a tournament. If you want to host a smash meet this weekend, post as such here. Pretty simple mayuuun, I don't know why you guys are calling out for them when nobody is stopping you.

Dorf offs are kind of different since they're more like a themed party with a tournament attached to them.

Also, suffice to say, Bob doesn't hold that many meets anymore he was basically it for the longest time as far as a regular practice hub goes. He doesn't have net access atm which may contribute, but I don't think relying on just him for a common means of meeting other smashers for practice is fair anyway.

@Kas: Is it that you want more meets at public venues instead of tournaments? Otherwise I don't get the problem. (And even then, Rebun/Axidos are arranging just that for us at Nathan's Griffifth campus).

Sirias

Smash Champion
There isn't a problem.
No I don't want a meet at a public venue.
Yes I know that meets don't need any planning or anything of the sort.
And I also know that it's hard to have meets when so many of you live with parents.
The only thing I see 'wrong' is that since there are so less meets it means there are only tournaments.
That is all I'm trying to say.
I think.

Yeah I know about the price match thing.
But I don't wanna bother doing it.
Someone do it for me KGO! <3

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
i know people that jog.. not for races just for fitness.
i know people that have *** for fun not for the ***-olympics.

i might host friday. 10 am to dinner (7 pm??). then we can go to sizzler or something. then u go home and dont miss ya bus and dont get egged or have to get a cab. kinda want a small group :/ but if someone else has a car i guess 9 is cool. ill check with parents.
probably the line "just have a few friends over"

Karp-0S

Smash Journeyman
Alright. 2 things.

1. Not coming to Melbourne, though I'll doubt I'll be missed lol. Lack of funds and the fact that tourneys are essentially just a money sink for me.

2. Smash at mine Saturday night. It'll be melee or brawl depending on who wants to go. Can have 5-6 of you. It'll be an STD, bail on Sunday when you want.
Heads up, Only have one TV setup wise. Will have BlazBlue:CT/Tekken 6/Blur running on my monitor. If you want to bring another setup I only have enough power points for one more.
If you're interested let me know.

I'll be trying to do these weekly, depends on my plans. Will be posting here about it Tuesdays or Wednesdays so people can plan accordingly.

KarpSmash-TD: The Quickening

Remastered

Smash Lord
Is there anything planned for the 21st and 22nd of August?

Is it at all possible that anyone who knows me or has been to my place for smash and games etc, to send me a message on here with there mobile number if I don't already have it. If you have me on Facebook, you can send it there too if you like. Need a quick easy way to get in contact with people off the boards!

Sirias

Smash Champion
Blazblue*

I wanna get better at SSF4 and BlazingBlur.
I'll be working Saturday, though, till 5, SIGH.
So dunno if I'll come round. :c

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I might hit that up Krap-0S (Windows Vista?).

Will play anything, but want to get srs Melee and Brawl practice in.

Sieg

Smash Champion
BB CS is out now in America guys. I'll prolly import it sooner or later.

Might go somewhere, maybe. Idk.

Depends on if I'm doing something. Has to involve Street Fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom