• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Kas, just remember to do the price match thingy with JetStar (Make them price match Tiger) to save $$$
How do you do this, can it all be done online? Ranga and I are looking at booking everything for robocop this week.

I might have a meet at mine on saturday if anyone is interested, it'll give brisbane people an alternative to going to the coast to Karp's. Probably during the day though until early evening. I've got melee, brawl, sfIV, ssfIV and blazblue.. but I'll probably just want to play smash, mainly brawl. Only a few people though, because there won't be much room and family might be here so I don't want a thousand random dudes turning up. Will confirm later.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Arrow's having a day meet too don't forget.

I'll talk to you later, but basically you need to have the flight times you want for both companies and tell Jetstar you want their flights price matched to Tiger.

Come to Aron's Michael and bring SF3. Nick, bring my R4 and teach me how to start my mission.

Also needs more Arakune.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Arrow's having a day meet too don't forget.

I'll talk to you later, but basically you need to have the flight times you want for both companies and tell Jetstar you want their flights price matched to Tiger.
Arrow said he was having a meet on friday, if he was having one saturday I'd just be going to that. Like I said I'm not even sure if I can host a meet just yet.

Let me know about flights bs when you can, I was going to do it all online but if you have to quote flight times with other companies you might have to do it another way? idk.

Karp-0S

Smash Journeyman
KSTD:TQ1

A long name deserving of something that's been a long time coming.

Michael, you've got my msn. Saturday night till Sunday. THERE WILL BE SNACKS.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
you can only book the flights via phone if you want to do the price matching

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Aight thnx Scott, that's all I needed to know!
1. find out matching tiger flight time
2. ring jetstar and quote price
3. ????
4. PROFIT!
5. fly to melboure

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I could only price match with carry on luggage (guessing that's what everyone else is doing) because tiger's baggage is 15kg for the one after carry on where as Jetstar is 20kg so technically you're saving money says jetstar chick over the phone :S

Anyways I got return for $130 and 10kilo's worth of luggage should be enough for robocop anyway.

Also...............

KSTD:TQ1

A long name deserving of something that's been a long time coming.

Michael, you've got my msn. Saturday night till Sunday. THERE WILL BE SNACKS.

I WILL BE THERE SOMETIME THAT DAY/NIGHT

Hotdog

Smash Lord
I could only price match with carry on luggage (guessing that's what everyone else is doing) because tiger's baggage is 15kg for the one after carry on where as Jetstar is 20kg so technically you're saving money says jetstar chick over the phone :S

Anyways I got return for $130 and 10kilo's worth of luggage should be enough for robocop anyway.

Also...............

I WILL BE THERE SOMETIME THAT DAY/NIGHT
You got cheaper than us and I booked ages ago... I'm not doing it right ._.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
carry on luggage only? That might be a problem, we're staying in melbourne for a week.. probably not a concern for ranga, but I like the option of being able to change clothes -__-

Hotdog

Smash Lord
you can price match it with checked baggage i'm sure, just ask when you're booking it

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Next Brawl tournament we run, I'd like to road test a vanilla 3.0 ruleset (which was just released).

Biggest change up is the stage list. Port Town! Luigi's Mansion!

Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.0
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl

This is the official rule set version 3.0 of the Smash Back Room: Brawl (BBR). The rules at any particular tournament are always at the discretion of the tournament organizer, but we recommend this rule set as a base guideline for all tournament organizers to use.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---​

General rules:

3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

• Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.

• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

• Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape by leaving the ground and returning to it while invisible is banned. (For example, flicking the C-Stick up while holding down on the control stick during the move will cause this to happen.)

• Stalling is banned.
    Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.

• Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

• Some interactions (for example, a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match. *

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.

The stage striking order changes depending on the number of stages allowed. When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2. The optimal striking orders are as follows:

• 3 Stages: 2-1
  • 5 Stages: 1-2-2-1
  • 7 Stages: 1-1-2-2-2-1
  • 9 Stages: 1-1-1-2-2-2-2-1
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List. **

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match. Also, the choices made here include the character's color and whether the player will start as Samus or Zero Suit Samus, as Zelda or Sheik, or as a particular Pokemon for Pokemon Trainer.

**No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.​

Additional rules for Doubles play:

Team Attack must be set to ON.
Sharing stocks is allowed.

The controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the clock expires in a team match and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. (A player who has been eliminated has no stocks and 0%).

In team play, causing both characters of a team to become frozen (i.e. by interrupting a throw with a wind attack) is to be treated the same way as freezing the opponent in singles. Leaving only one of your opponent's characters frozen is legal since the teammate can work to undo the freeze.​

Optional Rules:

• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

• The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 2 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 6 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

• Color Blind Rule: In team games, it may be requested that certain characters be assigned a specific team color in order to prevent any unnecessary confusion. For instance, Sonic, Lucario, or Falco may be requested to be assigned the blue team color.

Recommended Stage List:

The below Starter/Counter list has a list of three stages, followed by three sections of two stages each. In order to use this, start with the top three stages in the list, and adjust the starter list between 3 and 9 stages by going down the list and adding the next two stages until the desired number of stages is reached. Keep in mind that "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium" is a correct use of this, but "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Final Destination" is not. Go down the list; do not mix and match. Any remaining stages not used in the Starter list will be moved to the tournament's Counter list.

The Counterpick list is a list of stages that should be universally allowed as legal Counterpick stages.

The Counter/Banned list is a list of stages that may be allowed as a legal Counterpick stage or banned from tournament play based on the tournament organizer's discretion.

The Banned list is a list of stages that should be universally banned from tournament play.

Starter/Counter

• Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville

• Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium

• Final Destination
  • Castle Siege

• Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd

Counterpick
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Distant Planet
  • Pictochat
  • Jungle Japes
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Green Greens
  • Brinstar

Counter/Banned
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee)
  • Pirate Ship

Banned
  • Mushroomy Kingdom 1
  • Mushroomy Kingdom 2
  • Mario Circuit
  • Rumble Falls
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Spear Pillar
  • Wario Ware
  • New Pork City
  • Summit
  • Skyworld
  • 75m
  • Mario Bros.
  • Flat Zone 2
  • Hanenbow
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Temple
  • Onett
  • Corneria
  • Big Blue

Notes

This ruleset is the recommendation of the Brawl Back Room for how to run competitive Super Smash Brothers: Brawl tournaments. We do not condemn TOs for holding tournaments with alternative or even noncompetitive rulesets. It was through experimentation and open but critical thinking that we reached these recommendations, and we encourage TOs to continue the search for improvements and novelties.

However, there are rules which, after debate, we do not recommend for competitive tournaments:

• Except as noted in the definition of stalling, the BBR is opposed to the banning or restriction of any character's infinites.

• The Bowser suicide klaw rule present in the SBR Ruleset 2.0 has been removed.

The BBR now recommends that the game's verdict should always be honored; a victory screen should decide the winner. Any Sudden Death (excluding time-outs) should be treated as a tie; which are resolved with a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

• The BBR is opposed to the institution of a Ledge Grab Limit of any number (for any character) for use in determining the winner of a match by time out.

• Athough the BBR disapproves of players "coaching" other players during a tournament match, the universal and fair enforcement of a rule to prevent it appears to be improbable.

Other Notes

• Tournament Organizers should make their policy regarding the use of codes, file replacements, and the like clear. The BBR suggests that larger scale tournaments should have little to no tolerance for the use of cosmetic hacks. Those permitting use of such hacks should be advised that the uninformed use of even cosmetic changes might cause unintended gameplay changes, and even informed uses can affect the outcome of the game whenever the DVD's loading time becomes a factor.

• Also, to avoid legal repercussions, to avoid loading time changes, and to deal with the uncertainty as to the existence of changes to the game, USB/SD loaders and DVDs not manufactured by Nintendo should not be used at tournaments.

• Whenever time permits, pool play should precede double elimination bracket play. Pool results can eliminate players as necessary and should be used to seed the bracket. Also, the semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.

• The use of wireless controllers should be discouraged because of interference, unreliability, and time hindrance, but wireless controllers should not be banned.

• Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

• Drugs and alcohol should be prohibited due to minor involvement and potential legal issues.

A tournament whose rules follow these guidelines may include a note in its opening post (suggested beneath the tournaments title in smaller font) that reads "Follows BBR Recommended Ruleset 3.0".
Explanations of some of the stages (And the ruleset itself) is here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282811

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think it's a good move since that rule was very VERY arbitrary (not a good thing).

I like the new ruleset. It's attempting to move the game back towards a more open stage list with lesser restrictions in order to let it grow in a different way.

I'll write more about it when I'm not at work.

(Only thing that sucks is that Ganondorf gets gimped by suicide KO rulings, but that's the way it goes to ensure the game is responsible for game resolution).

Remastered

Smash Lord
I am happy to see that DeDeDe infinite Grab is allowed now. I will be bringing him to the next tourney.

I always thought it was strange that textures are used in tournament. I played a guy at Tempest on a Japanese Wii and he used Pit. I knocked his wings off 3 times and he kept putting em back on and flying on back to the stage.

I also had J-birds coaching a Snake against my luigi whilst I played which I was fine with except that I could here him talking to oldmanDORF about how to get around my luigi which then forces me to have to play differently and when Brawl is based so solidly on being able to outplay your opponent psychologically with spacing and approaches etc, I thought that rule would be pretty set in stone. Maybe its something that should just be brought in as a show of respect sort of thing???

Hotdog

Smash Lord
i never really saw anything wrong with coaching, yea it's about outplaying/mind games. To me outplaying is how well you can adapt to their playstyle, it's all about changing, if someone coaching them, causing them to drastically change their play style, you have to step up and change with them.

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Say last stock Ganon on 50% opponent on 150%. Ganon gets knocked of stage and uses Side B at ledge hight to grab it and opponent tries to gimp and and gets ganoncide, am I correct in saying that that stock will be replayed as it will be a tie even though the Ganon was clearly in the lead and only did the suicide because of the other players failue to gimp?

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Sif make ganoncide a disadvantage for Ganondorf, he needs all the advantages he can get! Same with bowser, I think it's a legitimate kill strategy. As for the stages.. meh, I don't like some of the stages in the new list, but I also don't like some of the ones in the current list. Sea will be furious if pirate ship gets banned haha he heavily relies on it for a counter pick.

I also had J-birds coaching a Snake against my luigi whilst I played which I was fine with except that I could here him talking to oldmanDORF about how to get around my luigi which then forces me to have to play differently and when Brawl is based so solidly on being able to outplay your opponent psychologically with spacing and approaches etc, I thought that rule would be pretty set in stone. Maybe its something that should just be brought in as a show of respect sort of thing???
I don't know why you're complaining, as soon as j-birds started trying to advise me I was put off and you won the last match. I've asked him not to do it again for my sake, so dw about it if you have to verse me again. As for a rule in general, I don't think it really matters.. but if a player has a problem with it they can voice their objection as soon as it happens so it can be stopped and not interfere with the game.

oh and dedede's chain grab was always legal. Along with bs IC's.

Remastered

Smash Lord
i never really saw anything wrong with coaching, yea it's about outplaying/mind games. To me outplaying is how well you can adapt to their playstyle, it's all about changing, if someone coaching them, causing them to drastically change their play style, you have to step up and change with them.
Yeh but to compete against one person who may not know your game very well is one thing, but to have someone who has played me before during the match I am playing telling them how to adapt to my playing styles just seems a little rude. Especially when using a character such as luigi who really only has 2 ways to approach and 1 way to fight, not to mention his match-ups with the majority of high tiers aside from diddy are not in his favour. My benefits are few and far between versing any character above 15th.

In saying that you also have to understand that I can hear this person talking, so thats off putting aswell and also if they say I do one thing, I now have to do another which limits options. Just think its respectful not to talk to players during a match, but afterwards or beforehand I can understand and promote learning off others completely. Rather than it be a rule however, why not just make it a show of good manners and decency towards combatants.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Sif make ganoncide a disadvantage for Ganondorf, he needs all the advantages he can get! Same with bowser, I think it's a legitimate kill strategy. As for the stages.. meh, I don't like some of the stages in the new list, but I also don't like some of the ones in the current list. Sea will be furious if pirate ship gets banned haha he heavily relies on it for a counter pick.

I don't know why you're complaining, as soon as j-birds started trying to advise me I was put off and you won the last match. I've asked him not to do it again for my sake, so dw about it if you have to verse me again. As for a rule in general, I don't think it really matters.. but if a player has a problem with it they can voice their objection as soon as it happens so it can be stopped and not interfere with the game.

oh and dedede's chain grab was always legal. Along with bs IC's.
At tempest D3's standing infinite was disallowed. But at the other comment, it was not that the match was won or lost, more so that someone else was intervening in a match they weren't a part of. Sorry to use that fight as an example, but thats the most recent one that comes to mind. I don't want to have to ask someone not to interfere either. imo I don't think anyone should have too.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Really? that's weird.. I thought all chain grabs infinite or not were always legal, why wasn't IC's banned then? :/ I agree with you, I don't like people interfering during a match either.. like I said, j-birds sat down during our match to try and support me and it completely put me off. However, some people don't mind social interaction with outsiders during their matches and it isn't illegal.. so not everyone's going to abide by it as a courtesy. It's best to just say you're not comfortable with it so everybody is clear on the issue.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Yeh thats fair enough, also it isn't the chaingrab that is banned, but D3's infinite against a wall was banned or considered stalling, which was the same for any character against a wall. (Checked it just then). Was that mentioned in the new rule set?

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
All infinite chain grabs against a wall are considered stalling and are banned, cos if players want to be gay they can just time you out by doing that for 8min. Think it's the same in both the old and new rulesets.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Coaching is legit, the only time i can see it being wrong is if someone is unaware they are about to get c4'd.

Maybe you should stop rolling so much hmmmm, character is irrelevant just cause you character has a match up disadvantage it doesn't change anything to do with coaching.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
no golf rules.

should have a coach tournament. where we are all given noobs and us veterans must coach the fresh blood to victory.

btw testi is a noob.. also women. also anyone that has come last at the last 2 tournaments

k lets do it

lets get to training

oo yer cant karp, busy saterday

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Sry Rob lol, I really want to play melee, but can't until next Thursday, after that I'll be normal again =o

Just a bit more people, I know I've been nerding out since Feb but bear with me >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom