• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. is top tier.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
Recovery: Amazing. Lasts forever and can attack while doing it. It's simply one of the best ones in the game.

A Attacks:
F-Smash is really strong if it connects.
D-Smash, just wow, perfect for catching those annoying rollers, ridiculous vertical knock-up. U-Air is perfect for juggling.
B-Air, if you catch someone right you can actually b-air into them and they will still get the knockback from your thrusters.
F-Air/Dash-A - Good knockback and perfect for edge-guarding.
N-Air is ridiculous. A 360 degree arc with huge knockback.
D-Air - perfect spike, just awkward timing and buildup.
U-Tilt - another awesome juggling move
D-Tilt - I've noticed the d-tilt can cause people to trip, perfect for punishing.

Smashes:
B - An aimable laser that can bounce? The possibilities are endless, shoot down someone who's trying to recover, blast someone who's edge guarding, or just a good way to end a combo.
Side-B - Not too good of an attack, not enough damage and too punishable if it's accidently done.
Down-B - I.love.the.disc. It's awesome for knocking out someone trying to recover or if you're being edge-guarded. Just build it up while you're falling back down to the level and blast them. Also usable as a tossable weapon once shot out and hasn't hit a shield.
Up-B - See Recovery.

Final-Smash: Diffusion Beam, is TOO good. I guess it can be counted as a transformation since R.O.B. is invincible while doing it. The damage capability of it is ridiculous. Once someone is caught in it, they're pretty much done. On top of that you can combo them while it's happening?

I'm maining R.O.B. along with Lucas and Snake.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Well, he is really good, but I have alot of trouble killing good players with him. His only ground kill move is his Usmash, and Fsmash if you're close enough to the edge, but this move has deceptively short range. His Dsmash only kills at absurdly high percents.

His Bair is good, but it also can't really kill unless you're right by the edge, same with Nair and Fair. You pretty much HAVE to be next to the egde of the stage to kill with ROB, because his only up kill move is Usmash (Nair works too, but it has tough timing).

LazyDaisy

Smash Rookie
I main Wario, with DeDeDe, and Wolf and I can tell you from playing Ryjinx that R.O.B. is ridiculous, when in the hands of a good player. Anyone that has good anticipation is someone that can be extremely deadly with him. All I can say is that, while I'm not an amazing player, I know for a fact that I am better than the average player and he leaves me kicking and screaming whenever I see R.O.B pop up in a match.

While I am starting to figure some new tactics out for fighting a good R.O.B. I still consider him one of the most broken characters in the game, when used properly.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think there is a "_____ is top tier" thread in pretty much every character's forum...

ROB is mad good, but not top tier. Metaknight, Marth, Diddy, and probably zelda are all better than him, IMO.

LazyDaisy

Smash Rookie
No doubt that a lot of people consider other characters to be top tier. The only reason that I honestly do feel that Rob can be considered in the running for a top position is just because I can't seem to find a glaring weakness with him. Marth is not what he used to be, I consider Ike to be better, Metaknight is definitely a top tier player, and Zelda...the only thing I really consider top tier about Zelda is her Down B =P

xxhyosukexx

Smash Apprentice
robs my main.
he's way good,very hard to kill and like you outlined a ton of great moves.
his dash attack is pretty good too,comes out fast and quick recovery.

i've yet to lose a match with him,even against a really good wolf player...my play group doesnt like me playing as him...probably partially because i say "lazer!" constantly.

i wants a rob icon.

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
My freinds HATE me playing rob. The mindgames, the fact that the gyro (Or Dreidel, as my friends call it, implying I'm being a certain racial slur while playing him), can mess up recovery, it's godly.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I don't really want ROB to be popular.
I like being an automatic underdog... lol

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
No doubt that a lot of people consider other characters to be top tier. The only reason that I honestly do feel that Rob can be considered in the running for a top position is just because I can't seem to find a glaring weakness with him. Marth is not what he used to be, I consider Ike to be better, Metaknight is definitely a top tier player, and Zelda...the only thing I really consider top tier about Zelda is her Down B =P
Metaknight is not top tier. He can get Ko'ed very easily and is very predictable on upper levels of play.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
I know some people don't like the word tier, but it exists in virtually every fighting game forum on the web.

That said, I would submit that ROB is definitely above average and possibly upper to top tier. Above average simply because of the fact that:
-All his smash moves are good, D-Smash especially.
-He's the exemplar of recovery in SSBBrawl.
-Even if you play a tournament w/ no items on, ROB gets a bonafied item with his Down-B charge! And all the mindgames that come w/ it. I never run out of scenarios and levels to exploit Down-B.
-Above average range for his Neutral A.
-Solid dash speed, dash attack, and throw game (always a plus).

Sword characters and small speedsters still give ROB a run for his money, but fighting those types of characters just takes experience and experimentation.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
Aren't a lot of R.O.Bs moves extremely laggy? I haven't played much at all with him but it just seems like it to me. He does have a good recovery though. I don't know much about him, because the only time I even played as him was in SSE and maybe 1 or 2 games...

RPK

Smash Lord
Short hop double f-airs, wall of pain, amazing recovery, awesome projectiles, fast ground moves, powerful smashes, and so much more

TOOOO GOOOD
Dont you be taking WoP from us Jigglypuff players >=(

But yeah...His game when he is in front of the opponent is just nucking futs. Im hella loving the gimpy kills that Im getting when playing him. Get them off the ledge and keep hitting them with fairs then knock them away with a bair right afterward.

Wombat-Slayer

Smash Cadet
robs my main.
he's way good,very hard to kill and like you outlined a ton of great moves.
his dash attack is pretty good too,comes out fast and quick recovery.

i've yet to lose a match with him,even against a really good wolf player...my play group doesnt like me playing as him...probably partially because i say "lazer!" constantly.

i wants a rob icon.
Holy ****, I say "LAZORZ!" every time I use his B... plus I scream "ROBOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" every time I get smash ball.....

Metà

Smash Master
Dont you be taking WoP from us Jigglypuff players >=(

But yeah...His game when he is in front of the opponent is just nucking futs. Im hella loving the gimpy kills that Im getting when playing him. Get them off the ledge and keep hitting them with fairs then knock them away with a bair right afterward.
Hey, I'm a puff main in Melee too! Also, the reason ROB is so amazing at it is because he has long reach with his f-air, multiple jumps with b-up, and a good finisher (n-air or sometimes d-air if they mess up).

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
I will admit that I didn't have any primary intentions of using the series' second "WTF" character, but after unlocking him, I decided to just do a bit of fundamental uses in-game. What I thought would be a ten to twenty minute test of his basic moves turned into an hour of crash-course training with who may very well be my sixth main (my five original mains, who I'm still maining, are of course the characters in my sig, hell, there's a chance that I might replace one of them in favor of R.O.B.).

I'm particularly fond of his aerial game. While overall, it's a bit slow, I've done some effective edge-guarding with the Bair and Nair (and I'm fond of his Dair meteor). All that I'm particularly unimpressed by is his Side Smash, which seems a little too easy to avoid for anyone/anything with skills above a level four CPU. I love his name too, if you know what I mean.

Tier-wise, top-tier may be exaggerating, but I do think that this guy has potential.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
The glaring weakness for R.O.B. is the fact that almost every move he has has a long delay time before and after initiation. Doesn't mean he's bad, but you gotta preempt a lot of your moves because of it, and it tends to leave you open a lot.
ROB's A combo, tilts, and smashes all come out VERY fast. His Fair and Uair are both fast, the only moves he has that have decent start-up lag are his >B, Nair, Bair, and Dair. All of them have good range and large hitboxes anyhow, and have nice power to boot. I know when I play my R.O.B. I'm never really left open.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
ROB is very good and my secodary. but, since there arnt any REAL tiers for brawl, dont put him at the top. he is a good character with good moves, but only in the hands of someone who can anticipate his/her opponents very well.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
You know if you leave his spinning top on the ground, it can damage other players?

I main ROB btw =).

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Rob's spinning top is overpowered... lol. His Laser is alright. His Dair spikes, hard, his Bair, Nair, and Fair all have insane priority. His Fair is like Marth's from Melee, and he can do two in 1 short hop. Also, Pseudo-Wing Cancel is very nice, his tilts come out insanely fast, and although its priority isn't too good, his Uair does an insane amount of damage. Nuff' said.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
ROB is very good and my secodary. but, since there arnt any REAL tiers for brawl, dont put him at the top. he is a good character with good moves, but only in the hands of someone who can anticipate his/her opponents very well.
Tiers will come soon enough. Also, he IS high to top tier in my eyes, even better than Wolf after doing some experimenting.

Also, keep in mind that characters are how good they are in the current metagame and by evulating their moves. R.O.B. has lots of quick moves, a move that counters straight up projectiles without getting into the projectile (sideB), and plenty of kill moves too. His dsmash is a godly counter, and his nair? ...Don't get me started, it is SO hard for many people to air dodge that, since the move lasts so long it requires near-perfect timing most of the time. The start-up lag of the move isn't that bad, and the ending lag isn't horrible either. You can use the dair as a spike attempt without falling much at all, fair is insane, his throws are good enough, his tils are all excellent and quick, his smashes are awesome, especially dsmash, awesome roll, his bmoves are mostly good, and...

... he can glidetoss his gyro, giving him a sexy approach.

I can go into more detail if you want, but he is very good, and it's not like it's hard to land some of his moves. That's to ALL of you. I love the little guy. He's so cute, the blue on at least. <3

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
I can go into more detail if you want, but he is very good, and it's not like it's hard to land some of his moves. That's to ALL of you. I love the little guy. He's so cute, the blue on at least. <3
Same color I use. He just so happens to look great in blue like yours truly.

Kmart

Smash Rookie
Hey, so just to add to the train of how great ROB is, his D-smash is REALLY fast. Like, super fast. I'm talking barefoot olympic runner from Kenya fast. It can literally set up an F-smash combo, so two smashes in a row. This move needs a little more praise.

Top Bottom